One Ghidorah, Two Ghidorah?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SG-17
G-Force Personnel

One Ghidorah, Two Ghidorah?

Post by SG-17 »

So for the first time recently I've heard that there were apparently two distinct Ghidorahs in the Showa series.

One being the one from G3HM, IAM, and DAM, and the other being from GvGigan and Zone Fighter. For decades I assumed that they were all the same kaiju since DAM is supposed to be the end of the Showa timeline, being set in 1999, so the appearances of Ghidorah after DAM came out was just set before that in the timeline. The only sources I've seen for the Two Ghidorah Theory is the Super Encyclopedia and the Dictionary, do we actually know from the writers/directors/Toho themselves that there were supposed to be two different Ghidorahs in the Showa films?

Is this all retroactive theorycrafting designed to make sense out of what was an intentionally very loose canon?

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: One Ghidorah, Two Ghidorah?

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

To be blunt, I don't think the filmmakers really gave a damn about continuity when they made these movies. They used the kaiju that were available to them, regardless of their circumstances in prior films. It's the same reason Anguirus shows up alive and well in DAM despite very clearly dying and getting barbequed in GRA. As far as I've seen, no official source has ever said that's another Anguirus (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Main Showa Godzilla being different than '54 Godzilla is the only exception in the Showa series.

I think the various "official" encyclopedias put in stuff like that to appease fans who want closer continuity. Personally, I've never seen a reason to make a distinction between the O.G. Ghidorah and the 70s Ghidorah, especially since DAM is a chronological conclusion to the Showa era.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

When the movies were made, there was a loose continuity in between them. Stuff retroactively gets added later on, or ignored. Eh, don't think about it too hard.

On the other hand, slap those in the face that pick on you for thinking about it too hard. I'll even join you in the slapping!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Ah, I was thinking this might be about the suit(s) and not continuity. I agree with the above. Loose continuity and DAM intended to be the end of the timeline makes for one Ghidorah.

Regarding the suit itself, I believe there was only one. My understanding is that they built the suit for GTTHM, then repaired it and lengthened the necks for MZ. Then they did a major refurb for DAM including a full repaint and they either reinforced the wings or replaced them altogether. Then it was just pulled out of storage for Gigan (and maybe they built a new flying model?).

But all of that is based on my memories, mostly of what other people have said. So some of that might not be remotely accurate.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Ghidorah was always the same suit, just with major modifications in 1968 and 1972. The wings were stripped down to their support "skeletons" after MZ so the suit could be stored away. When they rebuilt the wings for DAM they added more bulk to where they meet his body. I believe the heads in Gigan were completely new, or at least extensively modified.

Japanese books make distinctions when there are later generations of Showa monsters, which they absolutely do for Angilas. But they don't do that for Ghidorah. There is only one Showa King Ghidorah.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

I think it has to do with the timeline being goofy. If DAM is the last, I always though every Ghidorah appearance afterwards took place before DAM.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:12 am Then it was just pulled out of storage for Gigan (and maybe they built a new flying model?).
I believe that all of the flying footage in Gigan was stock footage.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

It definitely wasn’t all stock.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SG-17 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:41 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:12 am Then it was just pulled out of storage for Gigan (and maybe they built a new flying model?).
I believe that all of the flying footage in Gigan was stock footage.
Even saying that there is no flying footage of the suit would be wrong, as there are a couple of shots of the full size Ghidorah suit flying behind Gigan during the Tojyo attack and there's a shot at the end of the movie of Ghidorah taking off that uses the suit.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There's been a few Japanese Magazines and encylcopedias which mention there being "two King Ghidorahs" during the Showa Era.

This is one of them:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/books/defin ... sha16.html

The main issue is that this is a definitive "retcon", with zero hard evidence in Godzilla vs. Gigan or Zone Fighter. As in, nothing is directly stated that this is the same, or different King Ghidorah. However, there's a few things that do support this cirumstantially: The Ghidorah in Gigan and ZF is slimmer and less mobile. It's supposedly weaker as well.

But ultimately, using the same logic, you might as well say,"There's 15 different Godzillas" because each of the Showa Godzillas have different appearances, and in many cases abilities and personalities,".

As others have mentioned, it's most likely a recent change, to justify KG losing and retreating so easily in those entries. Also, bear in mind that this information is very recent. For the past 10 years, Toho (and Legendary) have really built King Ghidorah up as Godzilla's archenemy, which wasn't always so clear, or at least more ambigious.

If you choose to believe there's two Ghidorahs then you're well in your right to. Likewise, if you think there's only one King Ghidorah, then you're also well in your right to. It really doesn't matter, and only becomes an issue when you take the loose continuity of the Showa Series very seriously, which is something I'd advise against doing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's like how the Baragon in DAM is said to be a second member of the species. You can see a kaiju killed, but then Toho brings it out of storage later to avoid creating new suits. Depending on your opinion, it could well be another Ghidorah or the original.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Toho has never put continuity over story before, I doubt they very much cared of contradictions when it came to Ghidorah. They needed a villain and Ghidorah was a popular one/had a durable suit so they decided to recycle it.

Personally I think we have one Ghidorah. Zone Fighter is the only true F up in the timeline, but with GVG since that movie is set prior to DAM in the Showa timeline you can easily just wrestle with that. Personally I kinda wish we did get a second Ghidorah after GTTHM because every other appearance it had suffered diminishing returns.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 pm Toho has never put continuity over story before, I doubt they very much cared of contradictions when it came to Ghidorah. They needed a villain and Ghidorah was a popular one/had a durable suit so they decided to recycle it.

Personally I think we have one Ghidorah. Zone Fighter is the only true F up in the timeline, but with GVG since that movie is set prior to DAM in the Showa timeline you can easily just wrestle with that. Personally I kinda wish we did get a second Ghidorah after GTTHM because every other appearance it had suffered diminishing returns.
What makes ZF an f up? It’s set in 1973.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:38 pm
godjacob wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 pm Toho has never put continuity over story before, I doubt they very much cared of contradictions when it came to Ghidorah. They needed a villain and Ghidorah was a popular one/had a durable suit so they decided to recycle it.

What makes ZF an f up? It’s set in 1973.
Ah my mistake. Though it was set later. Carry on.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Why is it definitively established that Ghidorah died in DAM? I never really thought that. Haven't other characters returned from worse?
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....because he's dead?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

He gets the shit kicked out of him, and his necks are all violently stopped on, killed individually. We see the moment the life is sucked out of him. Ghidorah's corpse is then wrapped up in silk, and buried. IIRC it gets even worse with the Kilaak base exploding on Ghidorah or something. It's honestly one of the most brutal and clear cut deaths in the franchise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You see his corpse laying where the earth monsters killed him hours later when the Kilaak base explodes and his body sinks into the ground.