Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Miguel's post made me realize has a super-power that is rarely discussed: dragging foes. Gamera drags Barugon into the water which kills him. Gamera drags Gyaos into Mt. Fuji, killing him. Gamera drags Zigra onto land, where Zigra is at a disadvantage. My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure Gamera did it other times to other foes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:52 pm Gamera dragged a sea creature to the surface, trapped it on land then played his theme on his back. That might be more psychopathic than Godzilla running down and Killing Titanosaurus.

Also Super monster gets 1 star just for Gamera going out like a boss.
I'd give it another star for its music score. It's so rad.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm Miguel's post made me realize has a super-power that is rarely discussed: dragging foes. Gamera drags Barugon into the water which kills him. Gamera drags Gyaos into Mt. Fuji, killing him. Gamera drags Zigra onto land, where Zigra is at a disadvantage. My memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure Gamera did it other times to other foes.
Gamera bites onto Viras's tentacle to drag the squid out of the water.

There's also how Gamera uses his flight against foes. Zigra is flown out the water before being killed. Guiron is also flown from the water, and then his head is stuck into the ground. Jiger was lifted into the sky and then dropped to the ground.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The city of Tokyo (along with the greater Tokyo area) needs a break from kaiju attacks. Why can't they depict other Japanese cities under attack more often? Just to name one, I'd pick Osaka.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:02 am Why can't they depict other Japanese cities under attack more often?
Tokyo’s got somewhere in the ballpark of a third of Japan’s population.
For Emperor and Empire!

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I think the most intriguing contrast between Gamera and Godzilla I stumbled upon -- a few years ago I did a writing experiment of summarizing each Gamera film as a Godzilla film -- was realizing that Gamera has no monster allies ever, at any time, only human allies, whereas the Godzilla franchise, including not only famously the Showa films but the mid-Heisiei era as well, has been partly defined by the fact that Godzilla has often had allies on his side. Gamera's list of monsters is a list of foes, whereas Godzilla's list of monsters includes a lot of characters with complex relationships with him. This kind of difference made me appreciate both series better a little by underlining what made each of them more unique.

Also, while almost every kaiju swap for that project involved some amusing out-of-character points, you can switch Gigan and Guiron pretty well in terms of basic thematic role. (Sharp sadist space monster!)
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

JVM wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:00 am I think the most intriguing contrast between Gamera and Godzilla I stumbled upon -- a few years ago I did a writing experiment of summarizing each Gamera film as a Godzilla film -- was realizing that Gamera has no monster allies ever, at any time, only human allies.
I've always found that interesting, too. Another notable contrast is that Godzilla is traditionally as strong or stronger than his adversaries whereas Gamera is usually overwhelmed by them and has to be crafty (or pull out a brand new power*) to win. I think this power disparity is another important part of what makes the series/characters unique.

*To be fair, Godzilla does this a few times too...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:41 pm
JVM wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:00 am I think the most intriguing contrast between Gamera and Godzilla I stumbled upon -- a few years ago I did a writing experiment of summarizing each Gamera film as a Godzilla film -- was realizing that Gamera has no monster allies ever, at any time, only human allies.
I've always found that interesting, too. Another notable contrast is that Godzilla is traditionally as strong or stronger than his adversaries whereas Gamera is usually overwhelmed by them and has to be crafty (or pull out a brand new power*) to win. I think this power disparity is another important part of what makes the series/characters unique.

Another difference between the two characters is that in films featuring multiple monsters, Godzilla plays the antagonist several times, with his opponent (be it Mothra, King Kong, Kiryu, or the Guardian Monsters) in the role of the hero. That's never been the case with Gamera. The closest is Gamera vs Barugon, and even there Gamera was arguably the lesser of two evils.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

Spuro wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:41 pm

Another difference between the two characters is that in films featuring multiple monsters, Godzilla plays the antagonist several times, with his opponent (be it Mothra, King Kong, Kiryu, or the Guardian Monsters) in the role of the hero. That's never been the case with Gamera. The closest is Gamera vs Barugon, and even there Gamera was arguably the lesser of two evils.
Let’s not forget that Gamera unlike Godzilla often requires human assistance to win. The boys in their respective films helped Gamera overcome Viras’s mind control, provided Gamera with the missile that was used to blow off Guiron’s head, and eliminated the parasitic embryo that Jiger had deposited to paralyze Gamera.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Y'all are missing something critical - Godzilla has displayed *zero* gymnastics chops.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:46 pm Y'all are missing something critical - Godzilla has displayed *zero* gymnastics chops.
What do you call that dropkick balancing on his tail.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:45 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:46 pm Y'all are missing something critical - Godzilla has displayed *zero* gymnastics chops.
What do you call that dropkick balancing on his tail.
.....chutzpah.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

Don't know the opinions of majority here, but these are mine that folk from other sites yell at me for
  • The Heisei Godzilla movies are either just ok or really bad (with the exception of GvB)
    The millenium series is the best one
    1998 wasn't that bad. Still mediocre, but not absolutely terrible.
    K:SI id the best MV film

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am K:SI id the best MV film
Completely agree with that one
Last edited by Gojira 41mk11 on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am Don't know the opinions of majority here, but these are mine that folk from other sites yell at me for
  • The Heisei Godzilla movies are either just ok or really bad (with the exception of GvB)
You'll fit right in here if you believe that. We do a lot of Heisei trashing on TK.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Millennium Series being the best, though... you don't want to go saying that in an isolated thread at night around here. You'll get your car smashed up, maybe worse. This is Showa fan country. We like our Honda and Fukuda, and we aren't ashamed to call Godzilla's Revenge a good movie.

Seriously, though, you don't see too many people put Millennium at the top of the list. It's kind of overlooked and underappreciated, sometimes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Huh? Whats that? Someone doesn't like the Heisei series? Time for me to butt in and say how unintelligent they are.

Eh, I dont feel like it.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The Milliemmium series really just has GMK going for it. Otherwise it's full of films that are decent (GxMG, SOS, G2K), mediocre (GxM) or aggressively mediocre (GFW).

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Millennium has nothing on Showa but I do favor it over Heisei if only because it brought more variety to the table. GMK is better than anything Heisei, I think most of us can agree that's the strong point of the series. G2K, GxM and GxMG are all flawed but I still enjoy them a lot and give them big points for trying something new; more than can be said for half the Heisei films. GFW is what I call a "messterpiece" - it's pretty terrible objectively but it's a long, loud, colorful romp that's easy to enjoy if you turn your brain off. SOS is the only Millennium film that I don't really have any use for but I still don't hate it.

I'd much rather hear someone argue why Millennium is their favorite than groan my way through another "Heisei best because cOnTiNuItY" rant.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

I do love me some showa. It has some of my favorite films.