Favorite Showa Gamera movie?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Best Movie?

The Giant Monster (Original)
No votes
Vs. Barugon
50%
Vs. Gyaos
18%
Vs. Viras
5%
Vs. Guiron
9%
Vs. Jiger
5%
Vs. Zigra
9%
Super Monster
5%

Total votes: 22

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Favorite Showa Gamera movie?

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

As the title says, pick your favorite Showa Gamera movie.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Favorite Showa Gamera movie?

Post by Voyager »

Tough time between Barugon and Gyaos but I had to pick the former.
For Emperor and Empire!

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

I know that Showa Gamera was intended to appeal to children and in that regard I think Gyaos is my favorite of the bunch. But if I exclude that from my consideration then Barugon is my favorite. I like the adult storyline and characters. Onodera‘s death as a result of his boundless greed was both traumatic and cathartic.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Guiron takes the cake pretty easily. It has a decently compelling cast, it has a giant knife monster on an alien planet, and it has space women who want to eat children's brains. What's not to love?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Barugon easily.
Favorite Yuuasa directed? I think Jiger honestly. Neat powers, budget is back, very likeable kid leads that feel useful, for once adults are allowed to be a bit helpful rather than like in Gyaos.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My favorites are the first two films, but it said pick one, so I picked Barugon.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gamera vs. Barugon ranks pretty far up there in terms of favorite Showa kaiju films in general. Guiron is one of my biggest guilty pleasures of all time and probably the one I watch the most in general.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

It's a tie between Guiron and Barugon for me, the only really decent ones. Barugon's death always struck me as quite intense and sad
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:27 pm Guiron is one of my biggest guilty pleasures of all time and probably the one I watch the most in general.
There is zero reason that movie should be regarded as a "guilty" pleasure.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

eabaker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:19 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:27 pm Guiron is one of my biggest guilty pleasures of all time and probably the one I watch the most in general.
There is zero reason that movie should be regarded as a "guilty" pleasure.
Exactly! It's the finest in fine cinema art.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gamera vs Barugon: The only good one among them!

Gyaos is fun too, even if I don’t consider it a good movie. It’s a lot more tolerable than the other six.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I like all the Showa Gamera movies, save Zigra and Super Monster. I feel like Jiger is highly underrated tbh, though I also feel like Barugon doesn't get the love it should either.
Realistically, if I had to pick one favorite, it'd have to be Jiger.

Edit: just saw the poll option, so I cast for Jiger, only to see everybody voting for Barugon, so maybe it does get the love it deserves! :lol:
I want a recount! Spuro is tampering with Tohokingdom democracy! Jiger supremacy will be recognized!
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

It’s a toss up for me between Gyaos and Guiron.

I’m picking Guiron here though because it’s just a magical experience. I saw it at just the right age as a kid.

Hot take. When it comes to giant monsters in space I actually prefer Guiron to Monster Zero.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

“Serious” answer: Barugon or Gyaos

The answer I gave: Gamera Super Monster
Me and a bunch of friends watched it at a party a few years back and it was a surprise hit. Honestly not a bad catch-all if you’re short on time.