Things you want to see in MV5?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Things you want to see in MV5?

Post by king_ghidorah »

Voyager wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:23 pm Bright and vibrant set pieces.
Gonna push back on this. I just watched Gamera 3 and Godzilla 2014 this morning. My two favorite kaiju films respectively.

I miss having a more naturalistic color pallet in these films. Even Shin Godzilla and Ultraman have a very realistic approach to depicting the world that these fantastical characters are in.

Contrast that with GKOTM and GvK which feature so many bright colors and purely digital backgrounds that they become anime essentially.

I don’t hate it. And I really do like both of those films. But I would prefer to see something shot more like the original Jurassic Park or even that recent Call of Duty scene as opposed to a film that’s entirely in the bright cartoon aesthetic.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

if you are gonna have a more natural color scheme it doesn't need filters tbh

g14 is dark as fuck in places like the final battle but isnt tinted, compare it to kotm where you have both godzilla's darker color AND a fucking deep blue filter at times AND low lightning

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GvK did it right IMO.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and Kong come to New York.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

with godzilla jr from the series

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Godzilla vs Kong is probably the best looking of these movies because it's so bright. The color pallets are natural in my eyes. KOTM had a blue tint everywhere. Not so much here. Only time we got any artificial looking lighting was Hong Kong, and even though it was a night battle, the neon colors made everything stand out, not diminish the visuals.

More bright colors please in movies period.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I will agree that GKOtM looks the worst.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I will disagree and say the water paint aesthetic did nothing but embrace the visual beauty of KOTM. Every shot embraced the beauty in the chaos, and felt like renaissance painting after renaissance painting.

2014 on the other hand... I love it to death along with the rest of the MV, but there was about 7 shades of gray at all times.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

The right versions of 2014 on home video largely correct that just an fyi. There’s some really beautiful stuff in that film

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:12 am Godzilla vs Kong is probably the best looking of these movies because it's so bright. The color pallets are natural in my eyes. KOTM had a blue tint everywhere. Not so much here. Only time we got any artificial looking lighting was Hong Kong, and even though it was a night battle, the neon colors made everything stand out, not diminish the visuals.

More bright colors please in movies period.
Yea more bright colors help make it pop. Using that wisely would make the next movie look great!
I didn’t mind the blue tint in KOTM at all, but GvK for sure has some of the all time best visuals of the Monsterverse because of how natural the colors are.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kotm looks like those old Greek God pictures to me. I can't really say what is worse but GvsK is definitely the best looking film.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

How are bright techno colors “natural”?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:43 pm How are bright techno colors “natural”?
Natural in the sense of realistic. Because bright techno colors do look like that irl.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Servii
Ronin

Post by Servii »

I just hope it's a decent movie that's at least on par with GvK. Besides that, I hope that Mothra, Rodan, or one of the new KotM titans is featured in at least a small role. I hope Wingard doesn't just ignore them.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Agreed!

Watching the Heisei series again and it made me think that I hope they return Godzilla to his more anti hero or heel esque roots in this next one. I liked what they did with Godzilla in GvK. More of that please.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:28 am Agreed!

Watching the Heisei series again and it made me think that I hope they return Godzilla to his more anti hero or heel esque roots in this next one. I liked what they did with Godzilla in GvK. More of that please.
Toho has the anti hero down and he's likely never going good again with them so I'd prefer to keep him the way he is in the MV.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 am

Toho has the anti hero down and he's likely never going good again with them so I'd prefer to keep him the way he is in the MV.
I suppose you’re right. I’m not sure if Toho has the anti hero thing down anymore. It’s been a while. But still. GvK tipped Godzilla more into the heel category but it’s probably as about as far as they can take it. It would be a little odd if he just started randomly rampaging and stuff ala Heisei and Showa era. So disregard.

Heisei is and probably always will be my preferred Godzilla personality wise but design wise I’m a Monsterverse fan. I would like to see the two merge together but it’s not necessary really.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:35 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:32 am

I suppose you’re right. I’m not sure if Toho has the anti hero thing down anymore. It’s been a while. But still. GvK tipped Godzilla more into the heel category but it’s probably as about as far as they can take it. It would be a little odd if he just started randomly rampaging and stuff ala Heisei and Showa era. So disregard.

Heisei is and probably always will be my preferred Godzilla personality wise but design wise I’m a Monsterverse fan. I would like to see the two merge together but it’s not necessary really.
All they’d have to do is do what every Era of Godzilla has done at least once. Have someone mess with or steal Godzilla’s son. Yes he’d have to actually find a son first, but if we’re being honest that could be accomplished in a post credit tease.

Then Godzilla would of course go nuts on humanity, since humanity took his son.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I think I’d rather see Kong get a son. He’s more of the extrovert and could use the win.

I kind of prefer Godzilla to be solo outside of a few allies.

I feel like his arc could be as simple as not forgiving mankind for making MG. That could feel petty though, since most people associated with that can be presumed dead at this point

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:30 am I will disagree and say the water paint aesthetic did nothing but embrace the visual beauty of KOTM. Every shot embraced the beauty in the chaos, and felt like renaissance painting after renaissance painting.

2014 on the other hand... I love it to death along with the rest of the MV, but there was about 7 shades of gray at all times.
I watched G14 and KOTM back to back a while back, and I got to say, while KOTM has some fantastic imagery, I think Godzilla 2014 handled the weight and scale of the monsters a lot better. That’s not to say that Dougherty’s approach to the action was terrible. There are definitely some amazing shots, like Ghidorah coming out of the sinkhole in Antarctica and Godzilla arriving at Boston with all of the jets surrounding him.

But IMO, I thought that Edwards handled the cinematography and action with a lot more grace. Even though the lighting in G14 could’ve been better, the monster action leaves a more significant impact on the viewer as it is filmed much slower. For instance, look back at the scene where Godzilla rises out of the water next to the Golden Gate Bridge. From the shot being filmed inside a school bus to the camera slowly panning downward as Godzilla reaches for one of the cables, Gareth Edwards does a great job at making Godzilla look and feel like a living, breathing being with weight. Or how about the scene where Godzilla roars at the female MUTO while she’s laying her eggs? Godzilla slowly making his entrance before bending down to let out a mighty screech, and the female MUTO positioning herself upward before stomping her claws into the ground and walking towards him is masterfully done, IMO.

Not only do the monsters feel more alive, but because they are filmed at a much slower pace than in KOTM, you get to see a lot more of the monsters in full detail. The audience is given enough time to let the monster scenes resonate with them rather than quickly breezing through each scene without taking a breath.

The way KOTM handled its monster action, on the other hand, isn’t as strong, IMO. Because of the inclusion of weather effects like rain and snow, along with the use of blue, green, and orange color grading and rapid editing, you don’t get a sense of the monsters’ scale and weight. I would’ve liked to have seen the monsters in their natural colors because their CGI models are incredible! I understand why Dougherty chose to color-grade most of the monster scenes. He wanted the scenes to look like renaissance artwork. This is evident during the scene where Ghidorah is performing his alpha roar on top of a fiery volcano with a cross standing in the foreground. While I do love the idea behind taking this approach, I think it fell a bit short in its execution. I felt like many scenes with the monsters lacked enough contrast to make the CGI pop. Kong: Skull Island, while being very colorful and lively, balanced out its bright colors with enough contrast and scenes of natural colors. GVK also followed this to a tee, IMO. If Dougherty had taken a similar approach while making the scenes look renaissance-ESC, I think they would’ve looked much better.

Matt Allsopp, a concept artist who worked on G14, drew some amazing key frames of the battles during KOTM. I think these scenes look a lot better than the way they were executed in the final film since they have not only a lot more low-angle cinematography but also a proper balance between bright colors, natural colors, and contrast.