What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by Petezilla »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:12 pm Its the evangelion version. I think it was only sold at Universal Studios Japan, but I could be wrong there. It went alongside a Shin Ghidorah figure to promote the ride. It was always my favorite out of the endless shin repaints so Im glad to finally have it. PLUS Im getting Shin Ghidorah next week so thats awesome. Wanted that one forever.
You are exactly right. I got both together when they were new. What find interesting is that all 3 figures released as official 'Universal Studio Japan' exclusives are NOT part of the Movie Monster Series and they don't even bear the BANDAI logo on their hang tags. Both Shin G's (as they're made using the original MMS mold) as well as the 'Shin Ghidorah' have the BANDAI logo on their feet, though.
Size DOES matter!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just arrived fresh from Showcase Daikaiju. Also the best price you'll find this release outside of Japan. Less than $50 for a G-Store exclusive? Yes please. MMS Varan and the Toho Weapons set. Didn't quite realize just how big this release is.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 pm Image

Just arrived fresh from Showcase Daikaiju. Also the best price you'll find this release outside of Japan. Less than $50 for a G-Store exclusive? Yes please. MMS Varan and the Toho Weapons set. Didn't quite realize just how big this release is.
Very cool. Where did you get that Toho weapons set? Those Showa era vehicles aren't from any Monsterarts I've seen.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

StardustGenius wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:49 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:15 pm Image

Very cool. Where did you get that Toho weapons set? Those Showa era vehicles aren't from any Monsterarts I've seen.
https://showcasedaikaiju.com/shop/ols/p ... shapon-set

Also, fresh arrivals!

HIYA Godzilla and Mezco Mothra set.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Damn I'm jealous

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Marusan Godzilla 1989

Gonna try and get one of those giant Marusan Biollantes to go with it, hopefully before the year ends.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Found this for 1000 yen at Book-Off (Japanese Secondhand store). I thought it was a steal, but soon realized why it was so cheap! Can anyone figure it out, without looking it up?

Hint: It's not because the tag is missing, or that it's a bootleg. It's a very authentic (and old!) Barugon figure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Looks like the silver paint on the horn is completely gone.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:59 am Looks like the silver paint on the horn is completely gone.
Yeah exactly. It’s so cleanly off, I didn’t notice or even think the horn was supposed to be painted. It’s a shame because it’s an amazing figure, and I love it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I mean, just repaint it?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 am I mean, just repaint it?
Well yeah, but what if he was expecting the figure to look the way it was originally made? It's one thing to get a figure with scraped paint, but someone clearly stripped all the silver paint off that horn.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Right. I understand where you’re coming from regarding feeling ripped off or disappointed to find out it’s been damaged.

My point was, the damage is already done. But it’s not hard to add back some sliver highlights and make it look better.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Honestly still looks pretty good either way

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Maybe... you got a prototype kinda thing or it was a failed production sample. You might have gold at your hands. Or maybe not.
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Production samples probably wouldn't be painted. I've got production samples of Biollante and Baragon. They're just totally unpainted versions of the standard toys. This one looks like someone stripped the paint off the horn with nail plush remover.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 am Right. I understand where you’re coming from regarding feeling ripped off or disappointed to find out it’s been damaged.

My point was, the damage is already done. But it’s not hard to add back some sliver highlights and make it look better.
I personally don't feel like missing paint, as long as it's not distracting, is as bad as physical damage (a spike getting chipped off, or major physical scratch) or additional paint (some kid painting a figure). But I agree on the dissapointment part. If I had known that the paint was missing, I wouldn't have been so excited to purchase it. However, I don't usually see Gamera figures in the wild, and I didn't spend that much money on it (basically a fraction of the price I spent on souvenirs), so I can't really complain. It's not like I spent 50$ on a figure, thinking it was a good deal, and then realized I spent way too much money.
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:30 am Honestly still looks pretty good either way
Yeah, that's where I'm at. No one that isn't a hardcore figure collector is going to notice.
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:20 pm This one looks like someone stripped the paint off the horn with nail plush remover.
I reckon the horn was badly peeling. I've seen photos of Barugon 1991, and a lot of them have the horn heavily scratched up or peeling, either from kids playing with it, or just being a vulnerable spot. The previous owner (definitely not the shop), decided to probably use nail polish remover to conceal or make the paint less distracting.

I'm looking at other Barugon figures, and ones with completely intact horns are expensive (comparatively) and rare. The older Gamera stuff doesn't seem to get asw expensive as some Godzilla things however, and I'm wondering if Bandai will release more Showa Gamera figures soon.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Welp, knocked out another grail
Super excited for this one. Definitely glad pay in 4 payment plans exist

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas to me.

*cracks knuckles*

Y-MSF Zilla

Spoiler:
Diamond Select Godzilla 1962 Bust

Spoiler:
Diamond Select Godzilla 1993 Diorama

Spoiler:
Deforeal Gamera 1999

Bandai Movie Monster Series Gamera 1996, Kiryu 2002, Shin Ultraman lineup (Mephilas, Imitation Ultraman, Landing Ultraman in beam pose, Low Energy Ultraman). Ultra 500/Spark Dolls of Chandlar, Pandon, Neomegas, Sphere Geomos, Sphere Soldiers, Ultraman Zearth, and Ultraman Decker Dynamic Type

Gotta' love extra paychecks and not having kids of your own. :P

Quote of the Year:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:51 am Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas to me.

*cracks knuckles*

Y-MSF Zilla
That's an impressive sculpt!
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Nice! Is the figure glossy because of the paint/varnished used, or because of the vinyl?