Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by JAGzilla »

Sammy19 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:10 am
Kaijucifer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Sammy19 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:30 pm So, Legendary is considering to move to either Sony or Paramount: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... 04643?s=20. Wonder how Kong will be affected.
Kong is public domain. King Kong is not. They can transition with few problems. What you SHOULD be worried about is how Godzilla will be affected. And they should totally go to Paramount, so we can adapt Godzilla vs The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
Not worried about Godzilla cause Toho is protective of their child.
That's the problem. If Paramount hesitates to play by Toho's rules, Toho is very likely to take their ball and go home. Which would be better than risking another GINO, admittedly.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Paramount or Sony would only be the distribution partners if Legendary moves and besides I still don't see WB letting the MV go which happened the last time although granted there was no David Zaslav at the time.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:41 am Paramount or Sony would only be the distribution partners if Legendary moves and besides I still don't see WB letting the MV go which happened the last time although granted there was no David Zaslav at the time.
WB can't stop the MV from going they can only stop Legendary from directly showing clips of the WB films.

Added in 57 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:06 am
Sammy19 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:10 am
Kaijucifer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:33 pm

Kong is public domain. King Kong is not. They can transition with few problems. What you SHOULD be worried about is how Godzilla will be affected. And they should totally go to Paramount, so we can adapt Godzilla vs The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
Not worried about Godzilla cause Toho is protective of their child.
That's the problem. If Paramount hesitates to play by Toho's rules, Toho is very likely to take their ball and go home. Which would be better than risking another GINO, admittedly.
Toho's rules are almost as destructive as G98 was to Godzilla as a character.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:48 am Toho's rules are almost as destructive as G98 was to Godzilla as a character.
Creatively, maybe. Financially? Look around. Whatever they're doing, it's working.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'm honestly not concerned about Toho's rules, nor do I think you guys should. They've loosened up a lot since the days pre-2014, and they more than likely know when there's a bad deal. Plus, worse case scenario Godzilla's rights from Legendary/WB go back to Toho and they shuffle around to the next studio.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

I think TOHO's "rules" are just suggestions considering godzilla's personality in KOTM and GvK
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

David Zaslav is a controversially hard-hitter when it comes to axing content, but like he said. WB needs blockbusters, they need Superman, they need Batman, they need Dune, I have no doubt in my mind that he was a huge fan of how well Godzilla vs Kong did under strenuous circumstances. So I don't see him letting Legendary go without a proposal.

Even back in August, he said: "We will fully embrace Theatrical"
https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-bro ... 235085460/

The article you guys are referencing is from August, so I wonder if cooler heads prevailed or not? Personally, I don't want Sony touching the franchise with a ten foot pole. Universal would give the films respect, and with the Fast and Furious franchise on its last wheels, they're going to need a new franchise to latch onto, but we'd get probably one MV film every 7 years. I don't know about you guys but I barely hear whispers from Paramount these days that aren't attached to Nickelodeon or Hasbro.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:07 pm David Zaslav is a controversially hard-hitter when it comes to axing content, but like he said. WB needs blockbusters, they need Superman, they need Batman, they need Dune, I have no doubt in my mind that he was a huge fan of how well Godzilla vs Kong did under strenuous circumstances. So I don't see him letting Legendary go without a proposal.

The article you guys are referencing is from August, so I wonder if cooler heads prevailed or not? Personally, I don't want Sony touching the franchise with a ten foot pole. Universal would give the films respect, and with the Fast and Furious franchise on its last wheels, they're going to need a new franchise to latch onto, but we'd get probably one MV film every 7 years. I don't know about you guys but I barely hear whispers from Paramount these days that aren't attached to Nickelodeon or Hasbro.
So you've never heard of A Quiet Place, Mission Impossible, and this little film known as Top Gun: Maverick? :?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NSZ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:13 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:07 pm David Zaslav is a controversially hard-hitter when it comes to axing content, but like he said. WB needs blockbusters, they need Superman, they need Batman, they need Dune, I have no doubt in my mind that he was a huge fan of how well Godzilla vs Kong did under strenuous circumstances. So I don't see him letting Legendary go without a proposal.

So you've never heard of A Quiet Place, Mission Impossible, and this little film known as Top Gun: Maverick? :?
Top Gun, the film from thirty six years ago? The sequel hadn't really blipped my radar, besides how it did at the box office, so no I had no clue it was a Paramount production. A Quiet Place was a John Krasinsky directorial debut, which hit headlines a lot more often than who the studio was, so no that hadn't occurred to me either. Mission Impossible being Tom Cruise's life-goal when it comes to action films is what I'm aware of when it comes to those films, so no I hadn't really had "Paramount Pictures Corporation Presents: Mission Impossible 6: Rogue Nation" on the mind either.

What I do recall is their Nickelodeon collection, Transformers releases, a weak attempt at streaming with Paramount Plus, and the Halo series... which, the less said the better. But hey looking at their catalogue they've had some classics, just not as many as some of the others. I'd feel hopeful in knowing they were strictly financially producing, while Legendary puts in the elbow grease they're known for.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:44 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:48 am Toho's rules are almost as destructive as G98 was to Godzilla as a character.
Creatively, maybe. Financially? Look around. Whatever they're doing, it's working.
Shin was a success, SP and the Polygon trilogy not so much to my understanding. It also is going to limit Godzilla in the MV if he acted like Shin.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah Universal a no go from what I understand they have a strained relationship and was nowhere near as successful as the WB partnership.
I agree that David Zaslav wants to keep working with Legendary especially after how well Godzilla vs Kong and Dune performed considering the circumstances.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:46 pm
Shin was a success, SP and the Polygon trilogy not so much to my understanding. It also is going to limit Godzilla in the MV if he acted like Shin.
Was SP not much of a success?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:46 pm

Was SP not much of a success?
I'm not sure but an anime that ended with a season 2 hook didn't get anything announced at Godzilla day seems odd.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im not sure where this idea that Toho would just turn Legendary Godzilla into shin if they could is coming from.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:39 pm Im not sure where this idea that Toho would just turn Legendary Godzilla into shin if they could is coming from.
The template Toho has used for their last 3 Godzillas plus what Adam Wingard had to weave around in his film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

That's entirely conjecture. I see no reason to draw any conclusions based on that.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:46 pm .... plus what Adam Wingard had to weave around in his film.

Elaborate.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:25 am That's entirely conjecture. I see no reason to draw any conclusions based on that.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:46 pm .... plus what Adam Wingard had to weave around in his film.

Elaborate.
https://boundingintocomics.com/2021/05/ ... a-vs-kong/

And its not conjecture. If somone does something 3 times worrying about them doing it a 4th is not conjecture.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:39 amAnd its not conjecture. If somone does something 3 times worrying about them doing it a 4th is not conjecture.
By this logic, you have 3 MonsterVerse movies in which Godzilla is not his Shin incarnation and you have nothing to worry about ;)
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fermix wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:40 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:39 amAnd its not conjecture. If somone does something 3 times worrying about them doing it a 4th is not conjecture.
By this logic, you have 3 MonsterVerse movies in which Godzilla is not his Shin incarnation and you have nothing to worry about ;)
Expect Toho sent them dos and don't saying they want him to act a certain way. Which I said I hope Legendary doesn't do.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I would highly doubt those dos and don'ts said to make him like Shin Godzilla, Ultima, Earth, etc. Especially considering the Monsterverse predates them.