The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by CyberZilla »

Dominion was overall a very confused movie. So many elements, and most of them were undercooked.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

dislike it just as much as the first world movie, having Pratt in just made me not want to see it in theaters gosh what a slog to sit by.

its just pure nostalgia baiting and whats worse there be kids soon who will be like oh I love the first jw movie its old now fairly soon

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It won't happen, but I'd love it if the inevitable Jurassic Park reboot goes full All Yesterdays and subverts expectations. The dinosaurs turn out to just be animals, and some of them aren't at all what we expect. The T. rex shows up on the tour like it did in the book, but it totally fails to impress. It ends up having some kind of goofy-looking soft tissue structures on its face that ruin the look. Maybe it has some feathers. If it makes any sound at all, it's some weak, non-threatening little squeak. It's first seen scratching its butt on a tree, then goes and sprawls out in the shade in some totally undignified position. Tim is left sad and confused, his childhood completely destroyed. Malcolm can't stop laughing.

Later, of course, the breakout happens, and it still turns out to be a T. rex.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

thats too brave for studio executives and general dude bro audiences but I WOULD LOVE THAT SHIT

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:22 am It won't happen, but I'd love it if the inevitable Jurassic Park reboot goes full All Yesterdays and subverts expectations. The dinosaurs turn out to just be animals, and some of them aren't at all what we expect. The T. rex shows up on the tour like it did in the book, but it totally fails to impress. It ends up having some kind of goofy-looking soft tissue structures on its face that ruin the look. Maybe it has some feathers. If it makes any sound at all, it's some weak, non-threatening little squeak. It's first seen scratching its butt on a tree, then goes and sprawls out in the shade in some totally undignified position. Tim is left sad and confused, his childhood completely destroyed. Malcolm can't stop laughing.

Later, of course, the breakout happens, and it still turns out to be a T. rex.
The T-Rex chase would be even more pathetic :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/Sb_zA-hLMO4[/YouTube]

Every jp fam should see this.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Excellent JP trilogy dino style guide & size chart -

https://dinomikemak.weebly.com/paleo-publications.html

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:36 pm Excellent JP trilogy dino style guide & size chart -

https://dinomikemak.weebly.com/paleo-publications.html
And here's a video if you don't want the PDF (which has been updated/corrected) -

I grew up with JP dinosaurs as much as Godzilla monsters so that's a ton of nostalgia in one package.

Some other cool videos -

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

After letting JWD brew for a bit, it did the impossible by being worse than Fallen Kingdom. It was legitimately awful and it made me appreciate TLW and JP3 SO much more.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Gojira18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:57 pm After letting JWD brew for a bit, it did the impossible by being worse than Fallen Kingdom. It was legitimately awful and it made me appreciate TLW and JP3 SO much more.
Oof, I gotta disagree with you there, but I respect it. Both of those latter JW movies are not good, but I despised Fallen Kingdom after letting it settle. I just feel meh about Dominion aside from the locust nonsense. It wasn’t offensively bad to me like the stupidity that was the handling of the entire second half of FK.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dominion was the first time I was disappointed with a Jurassic film. The franchise has had bad entries before but I was always able to find 1 thing or another to like.

Dominion just left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'll feel different after the extended cut.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:09 pm
Gojira18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:57 pm After letting JWD brew for a bit, it did the impossible by being worse than Fallen Kingdom. It was legitimately awful and it made me appreciate TLW and JP3 SO much more.
Oof, I gotta disagree with you there, but I respect it. Both of those latter JW movies are not good, but I despised Fallen Kingdom after letting it settle. I just feel meh about Dominion aside from the locust nonsense. It wasn’t offensively bad to me like the stupidity that was the handling of the entire second half of FK.
For me, Fallen Kingdom was too pretentious for its own good whereas Dominion was too dumb for its own good. At least Fallen Kingdom's plot was SOMEWHAT salvageable and made tiny nuggets of sense whereas Dominion just didn't. And to answer questions about the extended cut, half of it is the prologue and a lot of the other half I can understand why they cut it

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

The most insultingly bad thing about JWD is that it had the perfect premise for a Jurassic Park World movie: dinosaurs are living among us worldwide and people have to adapt. The idea of dinosaurs running rampant in civilization is something that the franchise surprisingly hadn't explored since way back in TLW. But instead of focusing on this fun premise for the duration of the film, we get about 5 minutes of that at the beginning and then the main plot focuses on... genetically engineered locusts. We have fucking dinosaurs roaming the world, presumably wreaking all sorts of havoc, but apparently the main threats are some big ass bugs. I really want to know what idiot screenwriter thought that was a good idea.

To make matters worse, the locusts are just a MacGuffin that gets everyone to the dinosaur preserve. Sooooo we have dinosaurs walking the planet but instead of showing that, we spend the second half of the movie in yet another goddamn dinosaur preserve? Oooh, but it's in the mountains instead of on an island this time, so original! The more I think about this sorry sendoff to the franchise, the dumber it gets.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:40 pm The most insultingly bad thing about JWD is that it had the perfect premise for a Jurassic Park World movie: dinosaurs are living among us worldwide and people have to adapt. The idea of dinosaurs running rampant in civilization is something that the franchise surprisingly hadn't explored since way back in TLW. But instead of focusing on this fun premise for the duration of the film, we get about 5 minutes of that at the beginning and then the main plot focuses on... genetically engineered locusts. We have fucking dinosaurs roaming the world, presumably wreaking all sorts of havoc, but apparently the main threats are some big ass bugs. I really want to know what idiot screenwriter thought that was a good idea.

To make matters worse, the locusts are just a MacGuffin that gets everyone to the dinosaur preserve. Sooooo we have dinosaurs walking the planet but instead of showing that, we spend the second half of the movie in yet another goddamn dinosaur preserve? Oooh, but it's in the mountains instead of on an island this time, so original! The more I think about this sorry sendoff to the franchise, the dumber it gets.
The same screenwriter who wrote Pacific Rim Uprising....... I'm NOT joking, look it up

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Gojira18 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:46 pm The same screenwriter who wrote Pacific Rim Uprising....... I'm NOT joking, look it up
That explains so much.

Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:40 pm The most insultingly bad thing about JWD is that it had the perfect premise for a Jurassic Park World movie: dinosaurs are living among us worldwide and people have to adapt. The idea of dinosaurs running rampant in civilization is something that the franchise surprisingly hadn't explored since way back in TLW. But instead of focusing on this fun premise for the duration of the film, we get about 5 minutes of that at the beginning and then the main plot focuses on... genetically engineered locusts. We have fucking dinosaurs roaming the world, presumably wreaking all sorts of havoc, but apparently the main threats are some big ass bugs. I really want to know what idiot screenwriter thought that was a good idea.

It's not a send-off there will be more. I've seen nearly every franchise I'm into stop and restart at least 3 times.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Maybe they’ll actually do something interesting with the premise and follow through with it next time. But then again, it’s Hollywood :pelops2:

Gotta say, JW1 was a pretty solid flick, and it’s a shame it just spiraled after that. They left Dominion with an interesting enough status quo (albeit one very very similar to FK’s ending) that they could continue it and come up with good stories. The problem is that they have not given us a reason to believe they have any idea of what story to do with a modern world of dinosaurs.

Resized Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

JW2 and especially JW3 really made me appreciate JW1 even more. Just rewatched JW2 with my gf who I watched all JP movies for the first time with last year. After JW2 she instantly lost interest in the whole franchise and I'm kinda glad, so I don't have to endure the train-wreck that is part 3 again.

At least part 1 is pretty much a stand-alone film (aside of one or two minor events).

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Imagine what if JURASSIC PARK would've been like. If directed by James Cameron.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Its insane to think how close this was to happening. I think Spielberg beat him to it by mere hours.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983