Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:46 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm My Dream PR reboot would be a celebration of both it and its original Japanese source material. If I were in charge, I would try and mesh elements of both the original MMPR series as well as Zyuranger and Dairanger into the storyline. Why has that been so difficult to do so far?
One is for western kids and one is for eastern kids and our values are different.
It worked when they did it for the Voltron reboot on Netflix. Plus, in this day age, communication between continents and cultures is more prevalent then ever before and that includes more familiarity between each other's values
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:57 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:43 pm My Dream PR reboot would be a celebration of both it and its original Japanese source material. If I were in charge, I would try and mesh elements of both the original MMPR series as well as Zyuranger and Dairanger into the storyline. Why has that been so difficult to do so far?
One is for western kids and one is for eastern kids and our values are different.
It worked when they did it for the Voltron reboot on Netflix. Plus, in this day age, communication between continents and cultures is more prevalent then ever before and that includes more familiarity between each other's values
We still don't put too many deaths or dirty jokes in kids shows the way sentai does for example. The White Ranger in Dairanger fondles the pink ranger in one scene and while it is played for laughs in Japan imagine if Tommy fondled Kimberly in Power rangers.

Considering power rangers is moving away from sentai soon we'll be getting original more mature shows most likely.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:37 am

We still don't put too many deaths or dirty jokes in kids shows the way sentai does for example. The White Ranger in Dairanger fondles the pink ranger in one scene and while it is played for laughs in Japan imagine if Tommy fondled Kimberly in Power rangers.

Considering power rangers is moving away from sentai soon we'll be getting original more mature shows most likely.
Why do they want to further distance themselves from their source material? Plus, it’s been pretty much the norm for kids shows to tackle mature themes since the 90’s.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am Plus, it’s been pretty much the norm for kids shows to tackle mature themes since the 90’s.
I don't even know a single kid's show that hasn't tackled mature topics.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am

Why do they want to further distance themselves from their source material? Plus, it’s been pretty much the norm for kids shows to tackle mature themes since the 90’s.
Power Rangers is limited by Super Sentai for the stories they want to tell. After Dino Fury they're moving away from Sentai and going 100% original. Luckily they did say there will be mature shows and movies in addition to the kid friendly show.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Power Rangers is limited by Super Sentai for the stories they want to tell. After Dino Fury they're moving away from Sentai and going 100% original. Luckily they did say there will be mature shows and movies in addition to the kid friendly show.
Are they just ashamed of the franchise's foreign roots?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:51 pm

Are they just ashamed of the franchise's foreign roots?
I highly doubt that. Sentai was helping Power Rangers a lot not just with footage but with merchandise as well. Wanting more freedom is the only plus side I see to Hasbro wanting to do Power Rangers 100% on their own from now on. Also remember Hasbro had to ok Godzilla vs MMPR just like Toho did so I doubt its embarrassment.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Definitely. On the other hand? Saban's creative team limited themselves greatly without Toei's help. The Saban and Disney eras invested much more in crafting stories than Neo Saban did. Samurai was a haphazard Shinkenger remake that insulted its audience and Megaforce just mangled two different series ,left in pre-Zyu and Dairanger references, and then cut out the MMPR homage with Ninjor. The other seasons, including Beast Morphers were in the same vein. Beast Morphers managed to be worse than Ninja Steel and decided to adapt some haphazard version of Gobusters story rather than their own. Even though they basically only used a fraction of the Sentai footage due to the footage being mostly useless, they still adapted the story.

I've followed the rumor mill drama and it turned out that Simon Bennett, the creative head of the franchise, soundly debunked the Toei-Hasbro split spread by Illuminerdi and them splitting off in the adaptations. In fact, while it was revealed Hasbro was involved with both Ryusoulger and Kiramaiger, the added part being that for the main TV series, Hasbro can freely commission new suits and designs from PLEX themselves in order to raise or maintain the age demographic. That's why I'm not doubting Zenkaiger or Donbrothers being adapted. They could easily do their own thing with redesigned suits for the former. Donbrothers could go either way, but Hasbro could easily sub in new Pink, Blue and Black suits on par with the human designs.

I still don't understand Bennett's logic over not adapting either LuPat or Kyuuranger. Dino Fury is barely about knights and nothing about the footage suggests that new footage couldn't recontextualize the former. Or that the cost of the latter couldn't be justified by going all out for the 30th anniversary. Plus there's a few other series as well.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:02 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:47 am Plus, it’s been pretty much the norm for kids shows to tackle mature themes since the 90’s.
I don’t know, maybe Every show in the DCAU X-men TAS, Gargoles, Avatar The Last Airbender, it’s sequel Legend of Korra and heck even Captain Planet just to name a few.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:43 pm
I don’t know, maybe Every show in the DCAU X-men TAS, Gargoles, Avatar The Last Airbender, it’s sequel Legend of Korra and heck even Captain Planet just to name a few.
You misread. I said I hadn’t heard of a show that has avoided serious topics. Since you listed shows that do, you must have thought I hadn’t heard of a serious kids show. Which is the opposite of my stance.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:16 pm

You misread. I said I hadn’t heard of a show that has avoided serious topics. Since you listed shows that do, you must have thought I hadn’t heard of a serious kids show. Which is the opposite of my stance.
*edit*

I've read what you've had to say. What's wrong with kids shows getting serious from time-to-time? Children can be more smarter and mature than our society gives them credit for.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:16 pm

*edit*

I've read what you've had to say. What's wrong with kids shows getting serious from time-to-time? Children can be more smarter and mature than our society gives them credit for.
NO!!! DID YOU EVEN READ WHAT I SAID!??!?! WHERE IS THE PART WHERE I SAID, 'THIS IS BAD'!?!?

*sigh*

Every single time, you take the wrong message from my posts. Never once did I say serious kids shows were bad, nor did I imply kids are dumb.

Edit: I'm sorry I had an emotional outburst. Last hour really rocked me.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

So, in the time since this thread was last posted in...

1) Lord Zedd made good on his promise to return in the second season of Power Rangers: Dino Fury and was a total bad ass for a few episodes. He even teamed up with Scrozzle from Power Rangers: Beast Morphers and the two made for a fun villain team together.

2) Power Rangers: Cosmic Fury has been announced. It's essentially a third season of Dino Fury (the first time since MMPR that a team has gotten three seasons!), Zedd will be the main villain this time, and it's going to be like 90% American footage, with the only Super Sentai footage used being that of the Zord fights - They're even going to have completely new, American-designed Ranger suits! The only downside is that Cosmic Fury - seemingly the grand finale of the Power Rangers series, or at least its original continuity from 1993 to 2023 - will only be 10 episodes long.

3) This is also happening, though it hasn't been confirmed yet if this is part of Cosmic Fury or if it is its own separate thing:

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

A sad day today. Jason David Frank passed away today. 😢
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

As if loosing Batman this month wasn’t enough… Jesus Christ this hits really hard.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:47 pm As if loosing Batman this month wasn’t enough… Jesus Christ this hits really hard.
I feel the same, having to focus on not letting it crack me right now.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

The trailer for MMPR: Once & Always has been... released? Leaked? It's out. And it's much darker than I would've expected.

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:58 pm The trailer for MMPR: Once & Always has been... released? Leaked? It's out. And it's much darker than I would've expected.

Its the start of Netfllix taking full advantage so it makes sense to be darker.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:58 pm The trailer for MMPR: Once & Always has been... released? Leaked? It's out. And it's much darker than I would've expected.

And yet also, not that dark. Like darker than the original show, but still doesn't scream emo edgelord gritty like some fan videos have gone in recent years. Like this feels like Power Rangers mildly grown up, but keeping to the core feels of what came before. If that makes any sense? Basically it still feels more Power Rangers-y to me than other "darker" PR stuff we've seen out there.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I agree, it feels just right. Also, CGI MMPR Dino Megazord! Probably using the ZAP Megazord CAD files.