Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

SpiderZilla
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by SpiderZilla »

Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am So I am probably a major outlier here, but GMK is and will probably always be in my top 3 Godzilla films.
Not a major outlier. GMK is one of my top Godzilla movies too.
Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am While I would have loved to see the Varan, Anguirus and Baragon teamup, I actually really enjoyed seeing King Ghidorah as a hero for once.
To be honest, I think having one kaiju in the lineup who could go toe to toe against Godzilla served the plot well. I can’t imagine how either Varan or Anguirus could have taken on that role given how powerful Godzilla was portrayed in GMK.
Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am I will throw in that I could take or leave Mothra in this one. I liked some of her abilities this time around (stingers were pretty cool actually), but I really feel like she might be overrated as a kaiju aside from the ol' Leo films. Often times Mothra seems more like a punching bag/sacrificial pawn than a serious threat.
I actually enjoyed watching Mothra get trounced by Godzilla in GMK. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed her underdog victory in MvG but given their disparate abilities it should have been a fluke rather than the first in a series of victories over Godzilla as seen in subsequent films.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:02 pm Considering the history between Godzilla and Mothra, that would make sense to me. However, it also would have been nice to see Varan in combat so we could finally see what he can do. We can speculate about Varan's fighting potential but seeing him in action would make it easier.
That's very true. I think a huge reason his popularity spiked after the games was illustrating his potential in that specific way. History won out in terms of my thoughts on this story. I do like that the fan game made Varan the final monster though, it was cool to suggest his distinctive appearance was the result of combining the souls of other guardian monsters.
Back after a long hiatus! (2016 - 2022)
Godzilla: Unleashed apologist, bandai collector and Varan enthusiast.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've said this before innumerable times and I'll keep saying it until someone out there from Toho gets it: if this film had been done this way instead of what we ultimately got, Anguirus would've been brought back sooner rather than later and Varan would've finally made it into the big leagues in spite of everything.

Although I would've also liked to have seen Anguirus appear in at least one Heisei film, then the Big Five could've become the Big Six, like I've always thought they should be.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.