Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by SpiderZilla »

Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am So I am probably a major outlier here, but GMK is and will probably always be in my top 3 Godzilla films.
Not a major outlier. GMK is one of my top Godzilla movies too.
Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am While I would have loved to see the Varan, Anguirus and Baragon teamup, I actually really enjoyed seeing King Ghidorah as a hero for once.
To be honest, I think having one kaiju in the lineup who could go toe to toe against Godzilla served the plot well. I can’t imagine how either Varan or Anguirus could have taken on that role given how powerful Godzilla was portrayed in GMK.
Pròiseilvenator wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:27 am I will throw in that I could take or leave Mothra in this one. I liked some of her abilities this time around (stingers were pretty cool actually), but I really feel like she might be overrated as a kaiju aside from the ol' Leo films. Often times Mothra seems more like a punching bag/sacrificial pawn than a serious threat.
I actually enjoyed watching Mothra get trounced by Godzilla in GMK. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed her underdog victory in MvG but given their disparate abilities it should have been a fluke rather than the first in a series of victories over Godzilla as seen in subsequent films.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:02 pm Considering the history between Godzilla and Mothra, that would make sense to me. However, it also would have been nice to see Varan in combat so we could finally see what he can do. We can speculate about Varan's fighting potential but seeing him in action would make it easier.
That's very true. I think a huge reason his popularity spiked after the games was illustrating his potential in that specific way. History won out in terms of my thoughts on this story. I do like that the fan game made Varan the final monster though, it was cool to suggest his distinctive appearance was the result of combining the souls of other guardian monsters.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've said this before innumerable times and I'll keep saying it until someone out there from Toho gets it: if this film had been done this way instead of what we ultimately got, Anguirus would've been brought back sooner rather than later and Varan would've finally made it into the big leagues in spite of everything.

Although I would've also liked to have seen Anguirus appear in at least one Heisei film, then the Big Five could've become the Big Six, like I've always thought they should be.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Someone on Wikizilla tracked down some magazines. I don't speak Japanese, but it looks like one of them was talking about the original GVBA concept, but also includes... Rodan?

Here's everything else. Be nice if I could get someone to translate.

https://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/k338679027/

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:29 pm Someone on Wikizilla tracked down some magazines. I don't speak Japanese, but it looks like one of them was talking about the original GVBA concept, but also includes... Rodan?

Can't instantly tell what these are. While they look like drafts of various movies and ideas they might also be fan made stuff. The picture with Rodan is titled Godzilla, Baragon, Anguirus, Rodan and Varan: One More GMK. I guess "another" might also work, but it would be weird to refer to whatever this is as GMK, if it's really a draft that came out earlier. Also, the name isn't accredited to Shunuske Kaneko, or the writer of GMK either. Maybe I'm wrong, but upon doing a quick google search I can't find the name for the kanji as the writer anywhere, making me think this is probably a fan work.

The other stuff seems to be like concepts, "Godzilla vs. Baragon, the fight that never happened in the Showa era!" "Return of Ultraman Episode 0.5"!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:57 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:29 pm Someone on Wikizilla tracked down some magazines. I don't speak Japanese, but it looks like one of them was talking about the original GVBA concept, but also includes... Rodan?

Can't instantly tell what these are. While they look like drafts of various movies and ideas they might also be fan made stuff. The picture with Rodan is titled Godzilla, Baragon, Anguirus, Rodan and Varan: One More GMK. I guess "another" might also work, but it would be weird to refer to whatever this is as GMK, if it's really a draft that came out earlier. Also, the name isn't accredited to Shunuske Kaneko, or the writer of GMK either. Maybe I'm wrong, but upon doing a quick google search I can't find the name for the kanji as the writer anywhere, making me think this is probably a fan work.

The other stuff seems to be like concepts, "Godzilla vs. Baragon, the fight that never happened in the Showa era!" "Return of Ultraman Episode 0.5"!
Extremely confident that's just fan fiction. A GMK-centered book featuring all its early drafts was released not too long ago, and Rodan was never in any of them.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GigaBowserG wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:37 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:57 pm

Extremely confident that's just fan fiction. A GMK-centered book featuring all its early drafts was released not too long ago, and Rodan was never in any of them.
Oh really? Was anything notable said in that, or was it just the same old "Kaneko wanted to make a Kamacuras, then there was M, etc. etc."?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I still think Ghidorah and Mothra are better visually and fight choreography wise. They just needed to better incorporated into the script (Mothra as god of the sea, KG as god of the land…wtf) and all of the suits and designs needed some more work. They feel…rush and unfinished.

Still a fun film. Not a masterpiece like the Gamera trilogy but a solid, flawed watch.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm Oh really? Was anything notable said in that, or was it just the same old "Kaneko wanted to make a Kamacuras, then there was M, etc. etc."?
Yup, pretty much these. His very first proposal talks more about the "Godzilla" from 1998 more than anything, followed by two treatments with M, followed by several proposals for Godzilla vs. Varan, Baragon and Anguirus, before finally ending with some scripts for GMK. Kamacuras is kind of mentioned in passing, as "vs. Megaguirus" being released the year prior immediately prevented Kaneko from whipping up some kind of treatment for this.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:37 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm Oh really? Was anything notable said in that, or was it just the same old "Kaneko wanted to make a Kamacuras, then there was M, etc. etc."?
Yup, pretty much these. His very first proposal talks more about the "Godzilla" from 1998 more than anything, followed by two treatments with M, followed by several proposals for Godzilla vs. Varan, Baragon and Anguirus, before finally ending with some scripts for GMK. Kamacuras is kind of mentioned in passing, as "vs. Megaguirus" being released the year prior immediately prevented Kaneko from whipping up some kind of treatment for this.
Hm. Is it possible to get some info on the different M and GVBA treatments? It'd be nice to update Wikizilla with some more info.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:09 pm I still think Ghidorah and Mothra are better visually and fight choreography wise. They just needed to better incorporated into the script (Mothra as god of the sea, KG as god of the land…wtf) and all of the suits and designs needed some more work. They feel…rush and unfinished.

Still a fun film. Not a masterpiece like the Gamera trilogy but a solid, flawed watch.
Mothra was god of Sea and Ghidorah was the God of the sky actually.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

While there may be 50/50 chance that Rodan may’ve been considered at some point, especially since he seems to be just as popular as Mothra and Ghidorah, having these four would be kinda interesting and could fit the classical elements.

Baragon being of the Earth,
Anguirus being of the Water,
Varan being of the Air,
and Rodan being of the Fire,

Or in my personal ideal case, have King Ghidorah still be the villain, while Godzilla would be God of Water, Anguirus or Baragon be God of Earth, Rodan be God of Fire, and Mothra be Goddess of Air.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Your ideal case seems more like the MV than the Millenium films.

While I liked seeing Baragon in GMk, he doesn't seem like a good fit with Mothra and Ghidorah. I know Baragon has some popularity in Japan, but the other two have god like reputations while Baragon is more of the prehistoric creature set. He pairs better with Varan and Anguirus, also prehistoric creatures.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:22 pm Your ideal case seems more like the MV than the Millenium films.
That a bad thing?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here we go again
For Emperor and Empire!

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Voyager wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 pm Here we go again
I don’t mean to start anything.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

No it’s not your fault. But we so very often get arguments about the MV so I thought something was gonna break out.
For Emperor and Empire!