Kaiju Headcanon Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

As a general amendment/addition to the above....or "How I learned to stop worrying about English Dubs nd just make headcanon excuses for everything that is slightly perplexing, inconsistent or otherwise annoying"

1. Referring to Godzilla as 400 feet tall in Godzilla, KOTM! waa an honest mis-approximation of his height. Or, I suppose, you could argue ONLY the original Godzilla was that big.

2. In the wake of the first Godzilla, there was disagreement, discourse and lack of consensus among the Japanese and global scientific community in regards to what to call Godzilla, both him specifically and his species as a whole. Naturally, Godzilla's presence would dominate global attention and discussion and everyone would be looking to build their career off of such a creature and event.

During Godzilla Raids Again, referring to Godzilla as Gigantis was a result of changing and evolving terminology. As well as how Anguirus and Gigantis/Godzilla related to one another, if at all.

Over time, the consensus evolved and the term Godzilla came back into favor as Gigantis was discarded.

3. In Raids Again, Godzilla was perhaps imitating the roar of Anguirus in an attempt to be a Predator drawing out its Prey or natural rival.

4. In Godzilla vs The Thing, Mothra is a "new" creature, so there is simply a lack of consistency in what Mothra is known as, whether it be "the thing" or "mothra"

The Shobijin's first language is not English/Japanese. Ergo, they aren't the most effective at accurately portraying Mothra's proper pronouns....and may even see such things as not really applying to Mothra. Humans don't know heads or tails either way.

5. Godzilla is always physically and biologically evolving. Hence weaknesses like electricity can be turned into strengths, or their impact on him nullified.

His mind is evolving and developing as well, hence the ever-progressing "personality" and "heroism" he portrays. He is literally mentally capable of character evolution and becoming more personified. He can have a character arc from more villainous to more heroic because he is much more advanced and evolved than anyone understands.

6. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah doesn't create any alternate timelines or weird paradoxes. It all operates within a fixed time loop where the time travel always happened and all attempts to change the past/future simply cause those exact rvents in one big cycle. The characters in the film just don't necessarily grasp the complexities of the subject. Also, anything said by the people of the future, even Emi when she tells "the truth" should be taken with a grain of salt as a potentially massive lie.

7. All Godzilla incarnations regenerate, evolve and transform. Designs change, size alterations, ability additions etc. Some more drastically than others.

8. Godzilla 2000 serves as a bit of a Jack of all trades optional sequel to multiple Godzilla films.

It works about as well serving as a loose sequel to G54, G84, G89, or G98.

9. Some Showa Era films may overtly represent two different timelines or continuities. In-universe, the different Shobijin and Mothra and Godzilla being adversarial may put Ebirah, Horror of the Deep into its own alternate pocket of continuity. All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Megalon may all be sort of "off the books" in the same way, existing with Ebirah in a unique alternate reality. These could even be "movies within movies" for the Godzilla universe. If actual events like those seen in the other films were happening, then the movies and entertainment being made in that world would HAVE to be fairly wild and out there to be engaging.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Between 1975 and 1999 Godzilla fought off many Heisei and Millennium opponents, but then got lazy once being relocated to Monster Land, thus not being as energetic as he was in the 70s.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:00 pm Between 1975 and 1999 Godzilla fought off many Heisei and Millennium opponents, but then got lazy once being relocated to Monster Land, thus not being as energetic as he was in the 70s.
I imagine Super X, Biollante, Showa King Ghidorah again, Gigamoth, Beserk, Gryphon, Desghidorah, Zilla & C-Rex :shock:

Headcanon: Many of the Star Trek alien races existed in the Toho universe, but were killed of by King Ghidorah. Definitely the Vulcans. Cardassians & Klingons too. & Maybe even some more primitive version of the Borg.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

(Think this thread is still relevant enough)

HC: The Atragon was constructed using Mysterian technology specifically from Moguera for the drill.
And the reason humans were able to create much fast rockets by 1999 (and even 1965) was because they had salvaged and integrated much of the remains of the technology from previous alien invaders. Also the Monsterland kaiju containment devices.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I can dig it. The Mysterians is a movie that can pretty easily fit into a lot of different continuities without having such huge changes to the world that witnessesitate it being brought up. There was a compendium book I believe that actually stated the invasion by the mysterians did happen in the Heisei Godzilla continuity and the technology built to defeat them as well as scavenged remains of their craft is how we got the early masers and Super X in 1984.

One bit of Canon I like is Mothra's seal on Godzilla at the end of the 1992 film. Seems like a pretty weak seal given Godzilla didn't require anything to get back out of the ocean by the next film. However Mothra could probably sense that Godzilla was not a genuinely malevolent entity, just a wrathful Kaiju lashing out at anything around him. The sealing magic might have been less about physically locking Godzilla in the ocean, and more just getting him to calm down.

It actually bears more than a passing resemblance to a lot of folktales about wrathful kami or yokai being given peace by a sage, priestess, or other holy individual. The monstrous entity is defeated, but unless given peace they might well just wind up rampaging again.

You can also notice a marked change in Godzilla's behavior after this event. Prior to this he would just go rampaging got complete random and was remarked in the prior film to be full of hatred and spite. Afterwards from this event, he pretty much only came ashore after hearing the telepathic call of another of his own kind in the following film, then to settle a score and free his adoptive son in the follow-up to that. The Hong Kong rampage and attempted attack at a nuclear facility in the final outing could be charged up to him being in literal agony from his burning form and trying to find something to fix it, not being in his full faculties.

In short think of it is less Mothra's seal was only temporary and more Mothra just acted to help Godzilla let go of his hatred and reason for rampaging. There might have been nothing binding him to the ocean at all and he chose not to come ashore immediately after on his own volition.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Gojira1604 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:43 am (Think this thread is still relevant enough)

HC: The Atragon was constructed using Mysterian technology specifically from Moguera for the drill.
Jinguji and his men were in hiding and presumed dead the entire time between the end of WWII and the events of Atragon, and the Gotengo was built in absolute secret solely by them for use as a super weapon to resume conflict with the US. While the rest of your headcanon about humanity scavenging & reverse engineering Mysterian tech can easily hold up, this part's more than a touch bit shakey.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Especially considering Toho for the most part puts continuity between films in the back burner.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

This is going to sound stupid as most headcanon is taken these days, but I often like to think of Megalon as a monster who would be content on his own and the relationship he has with the Seatopians is mostly one of their manipulation towards him, not to suggest he was innocent and peaceful like Titanosaurus or anything of that sort.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Anguirus is so loyal to the Showa Godzilla because he killed the Alpha Anguirus in 1955. Thus, the second Anguirus is loyal to the King of the Anguiri, that now being Godzilla.

Added in 12 minutes 22 seconds:
Megalon never resurfaced because he may have known the consequences. Think about it. What has happened to Godzilla’s (evil) opponents who reared their ugly heads more than once?

Ghidorah? Beaten to death.
Gigan? Shot dead.
Mechagodzilla? Blown to smitherens.

Godzilla’s patience had also worn so thin, that he would never let another monster escape justice again. That’s why he killed Titanosaurus. It might be a regret that he never killed Megalon.

Ebirah’s claw is growing back still and he’s probably fighting King Kong or something. Either that or he got his ass fried by DAM.

Kamacuras is used as a food source on Monster Land, especially for Kumonga.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

At the risk of sounding obscene for a joke HC, the reason Maina and Miana have such a bad taste in men is actually because they are both voice fetishists. Houtua aren't very vocal because a lot of noise will just attract predators, so Sir Screams-A-Lot Haruo was very different than the local selection.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ with the weirdness of that series it wouldn’t even shock me if that turned out to be true :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

My head canon regarding the gemstone short: Godzilla Jr looks so different from his father because absorbing all of that radiation so quickly lead to significant radiation damage and mutation. Obviously we shouldn't NEED an explanation for a new Godzilla design, given his history of changing every movie, but since JR looks so drastically different from the Heisei designs I figured Id come up with one.

Other headcanons

Godzilla, including 1954, is actually a large therapsid, misidentified by paleontologists. The Godzillasaurus in 91 is a therapsid predator convergently evolved into a dinosaur-esque form

Godzilla 1998 is female. I don't see why it would be considered a male in the film other than Dean Devlin being really weird about it.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:32 am My head canon regarding the gemstone short: Godzilla Jr looks so different from his father because absorbing all of that radiation so quickly lead to significant radiation damage and mutation. Obviously we shouldn't NEED an explanation for a new Godzilla design, given his history of changing every movie, but since JR looks so drastically different from the Heisei designs I figured Id come up with one.

Other headcanons

Godzilla, including 1954, is actually a large therapsid, misidentified by paleontologists. The Godzillasaurus in 91 is a therapsid predator convergently evolved into a dinosaur-esque form

Godzilla 1998 is female. I don't see why it would be considered a male in the film other than Dean Devlin being really weird about it.
If I could pitch in one of my own, you could also say maybe Junior looks different because he's been mutating since he was inside his egg. As opposed to his father who was already a mature adult when very abruptly mutated. His body has adapted differently to cope and better modulate the energy, hence why he had a fully developed atomic breath ray even as a teenager at under 50m tall vs. the mist spray of the 54 individual.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I got one. Yamato Takeru/The Three Treasures is canon to the Heisei/Showa Toho kaiju films.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Godzilla Earth is fully aware of the Houtua and Mothra's egg, but is completely ambivalent and neutral towards them. As long as they don't have the same destructive tendencies as the old mankind or seek quarrel with him, he doesn't see them as conflict worthy.

The Houtua might have even tangently benefited by their presence because maybe Filius would get territorial and attack other monsters who might wander into the range and threaten the egg.

Also, speaking of Filius, I don't think they actually meant any hostile actions initially in the movie. They shot down the probe, but didn't open fire on the transport ships despite ample opportunity to. They were just walking over out of curiosity to see what this big strange thing was, and only started reacting when the heavy artillery (which was strong enough to actually hurt them) opened fire on Filius. All of the resulting conflict was entirely the United Earth troop's fault.

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:47 am I got one. Yamato Takeru/The Three Treasures is canon to the Heisei/Showa Toho kaiju films.
I can't recall any source but I dimly recollect some compendium or guide book saying it was at least to the Heisei series. There were apparently possibilities of even bringing Toho Kaiju into the mix had the movie done better.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Anguirus in Singular Point was a rival Singular Point that was going to compete with and slay Godzilla. He freezes up before getting harpooned (despite being in the middle of activating his shield) because his future vision shows only Jaguar can beat Godzilla and so, intentionally dies to let the future play out.

RIP Evan.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:30 am Anguirus in Singular Point was a rival Singular Point that was going to compete with and slay Godzilla. He freezes up before getting harpooned (despite being in the middle of activating his shield) because his future vision shows only Jaguar can beat Godzilla and so, intentionally dies to let the future play out.
I'll take it! It seemed like they were potentially building up to Anguirus being a natural rival to Godzilla. Relatively docile if left alone, it's special ability acts as a energy shield instead of an energy attack, etc.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Huh, I didn't even pick up on that. Neat.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The reason 62 Godzilla is so fat is because when he went into the iceberg in 1955, he had to adapt to survive, so he grew lots of blubber and extra body mass.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:05 pm The reason 62 Godzilla is so fat is because when he went into the iceberg in 1955, he had to adapt to survive, so he grew lots of blubber and extra body mass.
Makes sense!