What Will You Do for Godzilla's 68th Birthday?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Will You Do for Godzilla's 68th Birthday?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched the two Gigan shorts, and watched Godzilla vs. Gigan (felt appropriate). Despite this being the 68th anniversary for Godzilla, it really was Gigan's day. I also spent a lot of money on things I shouldn't have...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just showed the two Gigan shorts to my dad. He really liked them.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

They showed last year's Hedorah short plus the behind the scenes special before the GxMG showing! To be perfectly honest, that was my favorite part of the show: I've always found this movie pretty bland!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Just got back from the GxMG showing - it was wonderful! I took my younger bros to it, grateful they tagged along. This was the first tokusatsu Godzilla film I have seen on the big screen and I loved it. This one was always a fav of mine but now it's easily in my top five. I could truly appreciate the craft like never before, and this was supplemented by the amazing behind the scenes of last year's Hedorah short. Seeing Director Nakagawa and his crew beam with passion for tokusatsu was inspiring, especially when Hedorah's suit actor recalled seeing the '71 film as a kid and never thought he'd play the kaiju for its 50th anniversary! The Chief Godzilla Officer from Toho gave a little message before GxMG began, and he said that there are big things to look forward to for Godzilla's 70th!

It was special waiting through the credits to see little epilogue with Akane, Sara, and Yuhara. Made me appreciate how damn good and subtle this film is. Time to track down Nakagawa's Gigan short so I can watch it!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:47 pm Just got back from the GxMG showing - it was wonderful! I took my younger bros to it, grateful they tagged along. This was the first tokusatsu Godzilla film I have seen on the big screen and I loved it. This one was always a fav of mine but now it's easily in my top five. I could truly appreciate the craft like never before, and this was supplemented by the amazing behind the scenes of last year's Hedorah short. Seeing Director Nakagawa and his crew beam with passion for tokusatsu was inspiring, especially when Hedorah's suit actor recalled seeing the '71 film as a kid and never thought he'd play the kaiju for its 50th anniversary! The Chief Godzilla Officer from Toho gave a little message before GxMG began, and he said that there are big things to look forward to for Godzilla's 70th!

It was special waiting through the credits to see little epilogue with Akane, Sara, and Yuhara. Made me appreciate how damn good and subtle this film is. Time to track down Nakagawa's Gigan short so I can watch it!
I just got back from seeing GxMG with my dad! Sadly, almost everyone departed before the post-credits sequence. But at least a tiny handful stayed.

And there was a lot of laughs every now and then. Definitely a wonderful experience.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

My grandma's visiting so I watched some movies with her. Granted she's a little slow & doesn't speak English so I did skip a bit to more of the monster & calamity scenes.
Yesterday we watched some of King Kong 2005 & Godzilla 2014.
Today it was King Kong Vs Godzilla, Mothra Vs Godzilla, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster & Son of Godzilla.
Her thoughts:
"It's fun watching that ugly gorilla fight those dinosaurs!"
"Why's that tall lanky bug keep following the guy?!"

"It's fun & funny when the animal hits the money with the tail, with the rocks, when it got that tree shoved down it's throat! He (Kong) doesn't give up!"
"I think this bird (Mothra) will kill the monster (Godzilla) with her stinging legs since Kong couldn't!"

"It has three heads! It's destroying the whole town! Lol she's grabbed onto his tail!"
"The baby's bigger now it's standing! He's as ugly as his dad!"
Basically it was movies 1,3,5&6 she found the most fun.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I watched the Godzilla Fes and Godzilla Store livestreams (yes, simultaneously) and finished the day off with the original 1954 classic.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Being a school night we didn’t manage to squeeze in a full length film (we’ll be watching SpaceGodzilla tonight instead for family movie night). But my kids and I did watch the two Gigan shorts and then we played a few rounds of the PS4 Godzilla game. They had never played that before and absolutely loved it!

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
Oh, and like LSD Jellyfish, I also spent way too much at the Godzilla Store…

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I did enjoy my viewing of GXMG at the theater, but I was curious if anyone else thought the movement was choppy or slow at times? Like watching streaming video with a laggy internet connection. It was quite distracting at times.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I didn't go to the theaters since I am still pretty cautious about covid, but I did watch movies with my friends through DKUTV's live stream. I watched some of the Godzilla Fest 2022 live stream, and I saw the vs Gigan Rex short live when it played. I also watched the shorts with my friends. Oh and I got the new sofubi figures of RexGoji and Gigan Rex!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Was it a fathom event? If so it was a live video stream direct to the theaters. I’ve seen a few fathom events over the years and compression artifacts and stuttering frame rate is a fairly common issue based on the events I’ve attended. It’s a good concept (streaming rare or unusual films to multiple theaters simultaneously who might otherwise not even book the film) but it seems technology isn’t quite there to really give the premium theater experience quite yet.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:34 am Was it a fathom event? If so it was a live video stream direct to the theaters. I’ve seen a few fathom events over the years and compression artifacts and stuttering frame rate is a fairly common issue based on the events I’ve attended. It’s a good concept (streaming rare or unusual films to multiple theaters simultaneously who might otherwise not even book the film) but it seems technology isn’t quite there to really give the premium theater experience quite yet.
Yes it was! I didn't know it was streamed like that. I hope technology catches up soon because it is a good idea.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Didn't help that the source itself looked like utter crap.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I'm about two weeks late, but I rewatched Godzilla '54 on the 3rd, which kicked off a rewatch of the whole series, and brought me back here...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm sure Godzilla would appreciate what you did. Most of us, myself included, seemed more interested in Gigan than Godzilla.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:50 pm I'm about two weeks late, but I rewatched Godzilla '54 on the 3rd, which kicked off a rewatch of the whole series, and brought me back here...
You rewatched the entire series!?!? Wow, I am vastly impressed. HedorahisBestGirl, as an admin and creator of this yearly tradition, I must award you as the winner for this year's ultimate celebrator of Godziller.

Here: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :tk: :applause: :tkman: :mugal:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos