Design Your series of "Ultimate Godzilla Box Sets" for Home Media

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Design Your series of "Ultimate Godzilla Box Sets" for Home Media

Post by Chrispy_G »

Let's say that the dream scenario has happened. Godzilla's 70th anniversary is coming and all invested parties want to "Spare no expense" to go all out and create the ultimate, definitive, final Godzilla home market releases for all audiences around the world. All necessary ownership, companies, rights issues, etc etc have been overcome. No obstacles precluding anything from being included. What would your releases shape up to be?

Mine would be as follows:
Title - Godzilla: The Complete Legacy

Presentation notes that apply to the entire collection
-Released across multiple volumes with consistent packaging and artwork
-Every film and version given 4K restoration
-Every Japanese Theatrical Cut
-Every US Cut - Even if "recreated" via editing
-Every "Champion Festival" Cut
-Every Dub provided as an option and "Conformed" to multiple cuts where possible
-At least one Audio Commentary on at least one version of each film
-Each volume includes a hardcover book featuring imagery, essays, artwork, and information on all of the films unique to that set

Volume 1
1. Godzilla
2. Godzilla Raids Again
3. Rodan
4. Mothra
5. King Kong vs Godzilla
6. Mothra vs Godzilla
7. Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
8. Invasion of Astro-Monster
9. War of the Gargantuas
10. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep

Volume 2
1. Son of Godzilla
2. Destroy All Monsters
3. All Monsters Attack
4. Godzilla vs Hedorah
5. Godzilla vs Gigan
6. Godzilla vs Magalon
7. Zone Fighter - All 7 episodes featuring Godzilla characters, restored in HD.
8. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
9. Terror of MechaGodzilla
10. Hanna Barbera Godzilla - All 26 episodes
11. Wolfman vs Godzilla - Using narration, on-screen text and title cards, presented in as "complete" of a form as possible

Volume 3
1. Godzilla
2. The Return of Godzilla
3. Godzilla vs Biollante
4. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
5. Godzilla vs Mothra
6. Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla
7. Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
8. Godzilla vs Destoroyah

Volume 4
1. Godzilla
2. Godzilla 98
3. Godzilla: The Series - All 40 episodes
4. Godzilla 2000
5. Godzilla vs Megaguirus
6. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
7. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla
8. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
9. Godzilla: Final Wars

Volume 5
1. Shin Godzilla
2. Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
3. Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
4. Godzilla: The Planet Eater
5. Godzilla: Singular Point

Volume 6
1. Kong: Skull Island
2. Godzilla - Including a "Special Edition" of the film. Edited down for improved pacing, new color grading, includes Akira Takarada's cameo and additional Godzilla footage.
3. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
4. Godzilla vs Kong
5. MonsterVerse Film #5
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Design Your series of "Ultimate Godzilla Box Sets" for Home Media

Post by LegendZilla »

I think they should release a box set for a hypothetical new format made as a successor to blu-ray, specifically one TB per disc. I will include the entire Showa series (including every version of each film) and Return of Godzilla.

I will call such a set Godzilla : The First 30 years. It will be a 2-disc set with 8 films each as well as possibly a third for supplements. Every film will have a 4K remaster. As with what I heard about the Rodan '56 Blu-Ray release, maybe they could do minor digital touch-ups here and there, i.e digitally removing the strings.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

See, I don't want multiple sets. I want one BIG set.

- Every dub for each film, including both American and International dubs for some films.
- Colorized editions of Godzilla (1954), Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla: King of the monsters using the most advanced methods possible
- Every alternate cut of each film, including the rare Cozzilla.
- Two versions of Godzilla 2014: Theatrical and Fixed Lighting
- Trailers and TV spots for every film
- Various commentary from surviving cast and crew, especially a Don Frye track for Godzilla: Final Wars
- Deleted scenes are included with every release
- All episodes of both HB Godzilla and Godzilla: The Series are included. Additionally, Zone Fighter is also included.
- Commercial gallery featuring Godzilla, including classic Dr. Pepper, 2014's Snickers Godzilla, and the famous Charles Barkley vs. Godzilla NIKE commercial.
- Godzilla: Animal Icons: Animal Planet's documentary on the series done in the 2000's.
- Attractive Menu Designs
- Poster-based, individual case art for each film with reversible sides with artwork from some fan favorites like Jeff Zornow, Matt Frank, Art Adams, Shinji Nishikawa, and Yuji Kaida.
- Documentary/Interviews on the unmade 1994 Godzilla film, with unseen footage (if it exists) of the Stan Winston Godzilla prop's creation and how they planned to execute it on set.
- Various interviews with directors/writers/artists on how Godzilla/kaiju influenced them.
- Godzilla: Off the Screen - A feature length documentary covering Godzilla's appearances outside of film/TV. This would have multiple chapters on video games, books, comics and even music.
- Digital downloads for every film, along with all comics from Dark Horse and Marvel, and the first "era" of IDW comics.
- Digital downloads for many of the OSTs of films with iconic soundtracks.
- Blue Oister Cult's Godzilla music video. I believe this used to air on TNT in the 1990's.
- Godzilla: King of the Toys: Another documentary, this time focusing on Godzilla's role in merchandise sales with interviews of hardcore collectors.
- The Curious Case of Bagan: A Bagan documentary on what and why Bagan is. There, fans instantly buy this.
- Know Your Monsters: In-depth documentary/biography of each starring/new monster of each film. How they were designed, why, how the suit worked, and general behind the scenes information while also going into detail to the "in-verse" biology and powers of the said monster. Perhaps get artists to work on new X-Rays for monsters that never got them, all with Toho's input.
- Just the Kaiju: Alternate/new cuts of films minus the humans. Just the monsters. All the time. You know many fans would be attracted to this.
- Robot Chicken: Godzilla - A 30 minute, stop motion parody/homage to Godzilla/kaiju done by Seth Green for Robot Chicken.
- Every other special documentary/extra that has been included in past DVDs/BR releases.

And, the most impossible wish I could ever hope for this type of thing...

- Commentary on Godzilla '54, KKvG, Godzilla vs. Gigan, GvMG, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla '98, GMK, Godzilla '14, KoTM, and GvK by the MonsterVerse directors... and both Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. I want to hear these guys experience being in the same room together. Throw in some other guys like Matt Frank and this could be one hell of an interesting watch/listen. I don't think a "fight" would break out, but I do think it could get a lil interesting. But I have been wanting to see/hear Devlin and Emmerich's responses to being reintroduced to the franchise now that's its become mainstream(er).

... Yeah. This will NEVER happen. But when I dream, I dream biiiiiiiig.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

MM pretty much nailed it, if we’re dreaming. The only thing I’d add/clarify would be every film element gets a properly handled 4K scan with careful, thoughtful, and respectful restoration done so that we get the films looking the best they possibly can, but still properly looking like films of the era when each was made.

And the whole set would get released on 4K discs that includes a digital copy code as well.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:19 pm See, I don't want multiple sets. I want one BIG set.
Understandable, but I'm trying to be kinda-sorta fairly realistic and I know that between the distributors and etc that it would be pretty impossible to do a 40 film set...and that such a set would probably cost lie $500-$1000 dollars.
- Every dub for each film, including both American and International dubs for some films.
- Colorized editions of Godzilla (1954), Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla: King of the monsters using the most advanced methods possible
I'm down for that.
- Every alternate cut of each film, including the rare Cozzilla.
That I care less about
- Two versions of Godzilla 2014: Theatrical and Fixed Lighting
The 4K Disc of Godzilla 2014 has a much better visual presentation than the Blu Ray, I'll say that.

I honestly just want a cut of the film that is 8 minutes shorter. It has a 123 minute run-time. Add in 60 seconds for Takarada's cameo. Add in 3 minutes of additional Godzilla screen-time and battle footage in the 2nd half of the film. That brings you up to a 127 minute run-time. THEN remove 6 minutes from the first half of the film before Godzilla's big reveal shot, and remove 6 minutes from the 2nd half of the film before the Halo Jump.

Boom. 115 minutes. 12 minutes of fluff removed, 4 minutes of gold added.
- Trailers and TV spots for every film
- Various commentary from surviving cast and crew, especially a Don Frye track for Godzilla: Final Wars
- Deleted scenes are included with every release
- All episodes of both HB Godzilla and Godzilla: The Series are included. Additionally, Zone Fighter is also included.
Pretty straightforward
- Commercial gallery featuring Godzilla, including classic Dr. Pepper, 2014's Snickers Godzilla, and the famous Charles Barkley vs. Godzilla NIKE commercial.
- Godzilla: Animal Icons: Animal Planet's documentary on the series done in the 2000's.
Those would actually be absolute gems. The 2011 Star Wars Complete Saga Set had a "Star Wars in Pop Culture" bonus that included numerous times Star Wars was referenced on shows and in films and commercials. I would LOVE to see some kind of compilation like that for Godzilla, and maybe even something that dives into the various knock-offs and films that took "inspiration" from Godzilla. Some kind of documentary about how it birthed the specific 'man in suit giant monster' style.

- Attractive Menu Designs
- Poster-based, individual case art for each film with reversible sides with artwork from some fan favorites like Jeff Zornow, Matt Frank, Art Adams, Shinji Nishikawa, and Yuji Kaida.
- Documentary/Interviews on the unmade 1994 Godzilla film, with unseen footage (if it exists) of the Stan Winston Godzilla prop's creation and how they planned to execute it on set.
- Various interviews with directors/writers/artists on how Godzilla/kaiju influenced them.
- Godzilla: Off the Screen - A feature length documentary covering Godzilla's appearances outside of film/TV. This would have multiple chapters on video games, books, comics and even music.
Oh yes, maybe even have digital download options for a number of the comics/books/music included?
- Blue Oister Cult's Godzilla music video. I believe this used to air on TNT in the 1990's.
Heck, this goes hand-in-hand with the overall 'pop culture references' feature. There could even be "Godzilla in Film", "Godzilla in TV" and "Godzilla in Music" sections...where you can watch a mini-documentary talking about the various highlights, while also having a library of the clips/songs/adds/scenes to watch in a stand-alone setting or with a "play all" feature.
- The Curious Case of Bagan: A Bagan documentary on what and why Bagan is. There, fans instantly buy this.
Why the heck not, especially if it comes paired hand-in-hand with some kind of confirmation of Bagan FINALLY making his big screen debut.
- Robot Chicken: Godzilla - A 30 minute, stop motion parody/homage to Godzilla/kaiju done by Seth Green for Robot Chicken.
- Every other special documentary/extra that has been included in past DVDs/BR releases.
Gold
- Commentary on Godzilla '54, KKvG, Godzilla vs. Gigan, GvMG, Godzilla vs. Biollante, Godzilla '98, GMK, Godzilla '14, KoTM, and GvK by the MonsterVerse directors... and both Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich. I want to hear these guys experience being in the same room together. Throw in some other guys like Matt Frank and this could be one hell of an interesting watch/listen. I don't think a "fight" would break out, but I do think it could get a lil interesting. But I have been wanting to see/hear Devlin and Emmerich's responses to being reintroduced to the franchise now that's its become mainstream(er).
I don't know about this specifically, but I would LOVE to hear any of the US directors doing commentary on any number of other films in the series. I'd love for 2-3 people with varying opinions of G98 to do a commentary to talk its positive and negative aspects. I'd love to get the 4 MonsterVerse Directors to do a 4-man commentary on each of the MV films, to see them talk shop about the series and each other's films.

I clearly need to get MUCH more ambitious and edit my OP to include a heck of a lot more detail!
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:17 am*snip*
Oh hell yeah, love your idea of adding digital downloads for comics and music. Imagine if it also came with the complete soundtracks for every film as well.

Adding:

- Know Your Monsters: In-depth documentary/biography of each starring/new monster of each film. How they were designed, why, how the suit worked, and general behind the scenes information while also going into detail to the "in-verse" biology and powers of the said monster. Perhaps get artists to work on new X-Rays for monsters that never got them, all with Toho's input.
- Just the Kaiju: Alternate/new cuts of films minus the humans. Just the monsters. All the time. You know many fans would be attracted to this.

I know this dream would probably cost a solid $500-$1000. But if it was something THIS large with THIS much content, I would gladly start saving up.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

What are you referring to with "Godzilla" as the first items for both volume 3 and volume 4? I thought you were referring to Return of Godzilla and Godzilla 98 but both are listed as separate items.

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
If this is supposed to be the ULTIMATE Godzilla collection I'd also want CDs with all the soundtracks and related recordings like Ostinato and Symphonic Fantasia, and a "motion comic" recreation of the unmade Godzilla 94 script.

milo bloom
Monsterland Worker

Post by milo bloom »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:47 pm

Volume 5
1. Shin Godzilla
2. Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
3. Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
4. Godzilla: The Planet Eater
5. Godzilla: Singular Point
First, take my money. This is a great grouping of Japanese Godzilla products.

As someone else noted, I'd be down for a recut version of Godzilla (2014)*, with more of the Hawai'i airport fight scene and even better lighting (I upgraded to the 4K and it's much better, but it could still be clearer.)

And I still kinda want a complete series of the old Hanna Barbera cartoon to go with my Godzilla: The Animated Series collection.

*I wish they'd given this a better title.