Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Gigan 50th Anniversary - Crowdfunded Suit/Short Film

Post by edgaguirus »

It was fantastic. The miniature effects were put to good use with the office building shot, and both suits looked great. I also like that this fight includes a more brutal use of the buzz saw. I feel that the sound effect of metal on metal when Gigan rubs his claws together really sells how sharp and lethal those things can be.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Sorry to ask again (I fear my question got buried on the last page). But does anyone have a link to an official upload from Toho? The two copies I can find on YouTube are re-uploads from other people and the quality is kinda lousy (macro blocking and stuttering motion).

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Everybody was so concerned about Toho removing the video ASAP, but they managed to trump all expectations by never uploading it in the first place.

Ah, Toho, never change.
canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:49 pm Sorry to ask again (I fear my question got buried on the last page). But does anyone have a link to an official upload from Toho? The two copies I can find on YouTube are re-uploads from other people and the quality is kinda lousy (macro blocking and stuttering motion).
I noticed that the reuploads weren't super great quality as well. Your best bet right now is watching it from the Godzilla Fest livestream video, at about 6 hours 56 minutes in. I don't expect this video to remain up much longer though; frankly I'm surprised its still here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7_PFiOyAA

I am not tech-savy enough to know how to download a video of this size. Anybody want to be a hero and cut an HD version out of this livestream?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:56 pm I feel that the sound effect of metal on metal when Gigan rubs his claws together really sells how sharp and lethal those things can be.
Yeah I liked that too. It definitely adds a moment of suspense. I also love the moment where Gigan is about to fire his beam (surreal to say that), but that isn't the end of the fight. He just switches to melee, which is appropriate.

I agree with others that have said this is superior to the Hedorah short. The fight is longer, more story is given, and just better overall. Still, both are cool. I hope they save and take good care of these suits. Who knows, maybe in the future, with a slightly higher budget they can make a short TV series or something with Godzilla and a bunch of these monsters. I'm pretty sure the person in charge of this works on Ultraman, maybe Geed specifically, so it shows potential.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Add my voice to the chorus of praise for this short, because I think it was very good, even if it was a bit of a pain to find it initially. I wonder if there'll be a short for Megalon and/or Jet Jaguar that matches or even surpasses this short next year, since this was an improvement over the Hedorah short. It's definitely a good day for Gigan with this and the Gemstone short.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah, this was VERY nicely done. Loved the sound effects especially. Gigan's claws actually being BLADES and not just bludgeoning tools was finally nice to see. And the whole saw attack was really nice. I think they did Gigan better than they did Hedorah last year.

All the praise aside, man the FW Godzilla suit is starting to look banged up. And hearing him with the Heisei roar is just... weird.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah that FW suit is looking rough! Why not use that 54 suit they used for that watch commercial? Anyway, another nice treat. I kinda like how the films are connected and it’s just Godzilla strolling through till the next 50th anniversary Kaiju shows up.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^If they make another short next year, they should use a whole new suit.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:16 pm Everybody was so concerned about Toho removing the video ASAP, but they managed to trump all expectations by never uploading it in the first place.

Ah, Toho, never change.
canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:49 pm Sorry to ask again (I fear my question got buried on the last page). But does anyone have a link to an official upload from Toho? The two copies I can find on YouTube are re-uploads from other people and the quality is kinda lousy (macro blocking and stuttering motion).
I noticed that the reuploads weren't super great quality as well. Your best bet right now is watching it from the Godzilla Fest livestream video, at about 6 hours 56 minutes in. I don't expect this video to remain up much longer though; frankly I'm surprised its still here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7_PFiOyAA

I am not tech-savy enough to know how to download a video of this size. Anybody want to be a hero and cut an HD version out of this livestream?
Thanks for the link! And that answers the question. The reuploads were clearly recorded directly from the livestream because it had the same macro blocking and stuttering motion. Bummer.

It would be awesome if Toho would release these one disc or something.

I agree this was a really fun short. Some great choreography, effects, and cinematography. I’d have a hard time picking the best between this and the Hedorah short though. They both have some strong things to offer.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hopefully Nakagawa and co get to do a Godzilla series with TsuPro, that'd be marvelous.

This Gigan short was such a joy to watch, there is so much to gush about. Man, man oh man.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hey wait, where can you even watch this thing? I don't see it on the Godzilla channel.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Spuro wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:24 pm Hey wait, where can you even watch this thing? I don't see it on the Godzilla channel.
Other people snipped it from the livestream and uploaded it since Toho never actually uploaded it in the first place for some reason.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I really enjoyed this one! Even better than the Hedorah short last year.

I'm still annoyed that they crowdfunded the Gigan suit, but damn does it look great! The monsters oozed personality and the pov shots in the buildings while the monsters fought was very nice. That definitely reminded of a lot of the lovely camerawork in the more recent Ultraman shows. The scene where Gigan tried to use his laser after Godzilla damaged the gem on his head and when Godzilla touched his face after getting nicked by Gigan's claws was sublime.

This short film gets two thumbs up from me!!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

It was really cute like the Hedorah short, but I wish they were allowed to spend a bit more time on these and use a better Godzilla suit. I really want to see Kiyotaka Taguchi take on some kind of Godzilla project when it comes to using practical effects.
Last edited by tbeasley on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I liked it a lot more than the vs Hedorah short from last year! Kudos to the sound crew for the various Gigan vocalizations too. I eagerly await a new Jet Jaguar suit teaming up with Godzilla to take on Gigan and a new Megalon suit next year (please)

EDIT: I actually do not know where to post this, but one of the guys who designs the kaiju on Gridman and Ultraman for TsuPro did their own take on a Gigan redesign. https://twitter. com/aws49T8EvYnPX7U/status/1588036706468388865?cxt=HHwWgoCjtZC-64ksAAAA

Pretty neat!
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... mPKpb_SmOP

Leaving this here as Toho want these taken offline in 6 days.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Thanks! I'll see if I can archive it too.

Going back to the short, the suit itself seems a bit stiffer compared to how it was in the Showa films. The head is a bit less bouncy, and the body is a bit less wobbly. I assume the suit is constructed that way for safety reasons. All the more for props to the suit actor, since they brought Gigan to life perfectly. Now that this suit is made, they better make some good use for it. Shorts, stage shows or whatever. Would be a waste to not use it.

ONE LAST thing I want to mention. Good use of the Michiru Oshima's Godzilla scores. Nice to see some variation ya know?
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

Since toho made a short film anniversary for godzilla vs hedorah and now godzilla vs gigan would they continue to do that in the future since megalon anniversary is next year and mechagodzilla, and king ceaser is 2024

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:08 pm https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... mPKpb_SmOP

Leaving this here as Toho want these taken offline in 6 days.
Why the hell would Toho want them taken off? They uploaded those videos themselves.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

This short was great...and sadly, TOHO's predictable aggressive strategy of trying to remove this and the Hedorah short film from YT is beyond moronic from a PR/Publicity standpoint (yet they have no issue it seems for the Gigan Rex stuff staying up...go figure). Sadly, this is not just a TOHO thing, but a Japanese thing in general (you should see how the NSK (National Sumo Association) & NHK treats their international sumo fans...they basically have been going "scorched earth" with copyright strikes on anyone showing even short clips with analysis of any of the sumo tournaments/basho....what better strategy to build your international fanbase and increase global revenue than to remove all chances for international fans to view or learn anything regarding the sumo matches/tournaments outside of Japan :roll:). I see no other major sports league (NFL/MLB/NBA/UFC/European Soccer/etc. etc. etc.) doing anything even remotely as asinine as this.

I concur with others, Gigan looks great, despite his rather short, fat neck (I'll take this chunky design any day over the Gigan Rex's silly stumpy beak or the GFW Gigan :Gigan:)

Any word of if they're doing Megalon for possibly a 2023 crowdfunded film later this year? I would be somewhat surprised if this happens, as I'm not sure if Megalon has nearly as much popularity as Hedorah or Gigan within Japanese G fandom to build support for another crowdfunded short film focused on him....would be really neat to see though. :Megalon: :antonio: Throw in Jet Jaguar while they're at it. :JetJaguar:
Cookson wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:16 pm Yeah that FW suit is looking rough! Why not use that 54 suit they used for that watch commercial? Anyway, another nice treat. I kinda like how the films are connected and it’s just Godzilla strolling through till the next 50th anniversary Kaiju shows up.
Since this was crowdfunded, I don't think they could be too picky about the G suit they were allocated. And for fun shorts like this, the suit looks good enough imo (I thought it looked much better for the Gigan short. Plus the GFW suit was designed to be leaner and more flexible than most other G suits for physical battles/action scenes, making it an ideal choice for these shorts). However, someone else mentioned possibily using the G54 suit from the Boss Coffee commercial awhile back...and that's actually not a bad idea. :idea: The suit might still be in decent shape:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)