GODZILLA ISLAND - English Subbed on Youtube

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

GODZILLA ISLAND - English Subbed on Youtube

Post by Shenanigans »

Following the releases of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla series and Godziban, Toho will now be releasing 1997's Godzilla Island series for the first time with English subtitles on the official Godzilla Youtube channel!

The news broke a couple days ago but got swept under the rug by the new movie announcement (credit to Twitter fans for catching this):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235255536/
In another Godzilla Day surprise, Toho said Thursday that it will be launching its animated Japanese series Godzilla Island, which has never been released in the U.S., on its YouTube channel in mid-November. The 256-episode series was a staple of late 1990s Japanese TV.
I'll admit I have yet to start watching the Hanna-Barbera or Godziban episodes they've got on there, but I have always been interested in this series and will be watching. Wonder if they're really going to sub all 256 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GodzillaToho/videos

UltramanGoji

Re: GODZILLA ISLAND - English Subbed on Youtube

Post by UltramanGoji »

The episodes are like 3 minutes each so it's not necessarily a herculean task to sub them all.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:15 pm The episodes are like 3 minutes each so it's not necessarily a herculean task to sub them all.
True, but its still a lot of work for a silly little thing like this. Those minutes will add up quick!

I'm also curious as to whether or not they're going to bunch some episodes together or upload them individually. Probably the latter, given they already split up the HB episodes. Makes me wonder how long they'll drag it out for.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Whoa! Didn't expect this to happen.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Nearly forgot about this, but thankfully Toho has not!

https://www.thepopverse.com/godzilla-is ... ernational

As one may have been able to deduce by now, Godzilla Island ended up getting delayed because they were still deep into uploading the Hanna-Barbera series to their Youtube channel when it was announced. I was hoping this series was to follow suit, but there hasn't been any confirmation until this week upon finally wrapping the Hanna-Barbera series last week. So, the first episode will premiere today (already has a Youtube link), with new episodes every Tuesday and Thursday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ookdexcqafI

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

So Toho went through both seasons of Godzilla, eh? That's good!

I figure that if they can't release Godzilla: The Original Animated Series, Warner Archive should be able to release Jana of the Jungle: The Complete Series, since I don't think that's owned by Toho.

In fact, I'm still waiting for Warner Archive to release The Adventures of Gulliver: The Complete Series on DVD so I can get both it and The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: The Complete Series (the latter of which is already available). That way, I can put them with my DVDs of The Atom Ant Show: The Complete Series and The Secret Squirrel Show: The Complete Series and have all four Hanna-Barbera TV series that were on The Banana Splits.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I've been watching the episodes so far and it's surprisingly fun and funny. The Xiliean girl is a fun snooty villainous and the good alien girl is cute. It was funny to watch Heisei Mechagodzilla, Moguera, and Jet Jaguar get owned.

And people say Heisei takes itself too seriously
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm I've been watching the episodes so far and it's surprisingly fun and funny. The Xiliean girl is a fun snooty villainous and the good alien girl is cute. It was funny to watch Heisei Mechagodzilla, Moguera, and Jet Jaguar get owned.

Yeah its pretty fun so far, for what it is. This is a lot better than watching it without subtitles or just reading Tarstarkas.net's similarly-subtitleless rundowns, as amusing as they were (RIP to real one!).

On another note, I've always found silver Jet Jaguar particularly funny; since we never see it again its basically like it got destroyed for good by a single hit from the Xilien UFO. :lol:

Always wondered why he was made all silver here though; every other toy they used was fully painted, but with him its like they just didn't bother. Maybe they wanted his design to gel better with the Heisei mechs? IDK. I imagine the prop was repainted as one of the later Jet Jaguars in the show, but that probably wasn't the original plan for him. I am ultimately glad they made the new Jet Jaguars to help differentiate him from being just another mech on the island.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:31 pm

The Heisei SERIES took itself too seriously. This show is something else entirely.