Criterion's releases of Toho's Samurai Trilogy

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Criterion's releases of Toho's Samurai Trilogy

Post by mikelcho »

Can anyone do new reviews of Criterion's releases of Toho's Samurai Trilogy?

I'm asking this because I know that they've released new versions of all three films and the boxed set of the films, but no one here has reviewed them yet. In fact, all that I've seen are the reviews of the original Criterion DVD versions here and Anthony Romero, who was the reviewer, said that they were terrible (admittedly, they were among Criterion's early home video releases before they even started doing what they're doing now in terms of video and video content quality, so I suppose that we can hardly blame them for that).

I'd also like to try to get a DVD release of the new version of the boxed set, but would like to know if it's worth the cost.

I've got a copy of the second Criterion version of Seven Samurai (which did get a good review here (and which I have yet to see, but would like to)) and would appreciate any opinions of this trilogy. I'd also like to have any comparisons between Seven Samurai and The Samurai Trilogy; i.e., are they equally considered classics in the genre, how does one compare to the other, etc.

Thoughts, please?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 am, edited 11 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Criterion's releases of Toho's Samurai Trilogy

Post by UltramanGoji »

Why don't you just look up reviews on Bluray.com? Take some initiative for yourself, man.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:Why don't you just look up reviews on Bluray.com? Take some initiative for yourself, man.
Okay, thanks. I'll do that.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

mikelcho wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Why don't you just look up reviews on Bluray.com? Take some initiative for yourself, man.
Okay, thanks. I'll do that.
That site is always great when it comes to particular releases of films. Their reviews aren't just about the film itself, like Amazon's reviews tend to be. The site itself reviews the film, but also the image, audio, and bonus content quality. Always the first place you should check out if you're looking at a legitimate release.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I've only seen Samurai I, and it's a very good movie, but Seven Samurai is among the very best of any movies ever made.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote:I'd also like to have any comparisons between Seven Samurai and The Samurai Trilogy; i.e., are they equally considered classics in the genre, how does one compare to the other, etc.
They are not equally considered classics in the genre; Seven Samurai is widely regarded of one of the greatest movies of all time, in any genre. I might very well call it the best movie ever made.

I really like The Samurai Trilogy (although it's been years since I last watched them), but they're not narratively or stylistically on the same level as top-form Kurosawa.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I don’t know if they’ve done a more recent restoration or release, but I’ve had the original blu-ray set from Criterion for years. It’s wonderful and the quality of the transfers is typical top-notch criterion work. The movies are really great too. It’s a powerful performance by Toshiro Mifune and a wonderfully made adaptation of Eiji Yoshikawa’s novel which has often been equated to the “Gone With the Wind” of Japanese literature (fwiw, I also highly recommend the book. I read it a few years and it’s fantastic.)

I did own the original Criterion DVD’s prior to upgrading to blu ray. Those were ported from the old laserdisc master and we’re pretty poor image quality, so I’d avoid those. But the blu rays are excellent and I’m sure any new dvd set would be sourced from the same transfer as the blus so they should be good too.

GodzFire
Samurai

Post by GodzFire »

Here's a good link I found helpful for review of the films: http://bfy.tw/LrNr
G . o . D . z . F . i . R . e

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think that I'll buy this series when I get the chance. This, and Seven Samurai, look like good stories that are set in the time of the samurai.

Thanks for the input, guys and gals!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

They certainly are. If you enjoy those once you’ve seen them, some other good stories set in feudal Japan include The Hidden Fortress, Three Outlaw Samurai, and Harakiri (a pretty epic revenge tale).

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

mikelcho wrote: I'd also like to try to get a DVD Blu-ray release of the new version of the boxed set, but would like to know if it's worth the cost.
Yes, although the Blu-ray may be a bit steep, it is worth the cost in my opinion if you liked Seven Samurai and this era/style of Jidaigeki (period drama). The Trilogy is a very different type of story compared to Seven Samurai but I find the Trilogy to be enjoyable.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I would suggest waiting for the next Criterion sale and getting whatever you want half off. Criterion is known for the their top-quality audio/visual content and special features so I think don't you should feel bad for any blind buys unless you wind up really disliking the move or something.

Here are all the samurai films they've released on Blu-ray if you want to browse -
https://www.criterion.com/shop/browse?s ... re=samurai

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Could Anthony Romero please do reviews of the new DVD and Blu-ray releases of this trilogy by Criterion (which is now a three-in-one Collector's Set)?

I'd like to know what he thinks of them, since the original 1998 DVD releases didn't fare so well in his view and, well, I think that it's time for an updated review of the series here.

I also found out that they're only available as a three-in-one Collector's Set (no separate releases this time around).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Well, today I finally got this trilogy on DVD from The Criterion Collction! Hooray for me!

Now, all I've got to do is wait.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:14 pm Well, today I finally got this trilogy on DVD from The Criterion Collction! Hooray for me!

Now, all I've got to do is wait.
UPDATE: It's due on Mon., Nov. 7. We'll see...

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The Samurai Trilogy DVD set just arrived today and it looks great!