Godzilla 1954 4K w/ English subtitles

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JunkeonWedge
Ronin

Godzilla 1954 4K w/ English subtitles

Post by JunkeonWedge »

Is there a version of the 4K restoration out there with English subtitles? All I can find is one with hard coded Chinese subtitles. I recently got a 4K tv, and wanted to show the movie to a friend. Problem is, my old Classic Media DVD doesn’t clean up well on that display. Can anyone help?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 1954 4K w/ English subtitles

Post by canofhumdingers »

Get the criterion bluray? The 4K rip you’re looking at isn’t actually 4K (it’s sourced from the 4K restoration but the file floating around is downscaled to 1080p or so).

The criterion disc is not from the 4K restoration but from their own seperate in-house restoration and looks really good. And not being a compressed TV broadcast rip, it probably looks better overall.

If you don’t want to buy the disc (kids these days! ;) ) it can be found streaming on HBOmax and probably some other services.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla 1954 4K w/ English subtitles

Post by Great Hierophant »

Alamo Drafthouse is showing the 4K Restoration through Janus Films (which runs Criterion) on November 3 in its theaters : https://drafthouse.com/austin/show/goji ... estoration

If you have a theater within driving distance, you may want to go, a once in a lifetime experience even if the film is being projected via DCP.