Who could have an R rated film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Who could have an R rated film?

Post by Gojira1604 »

The Skullcrawlers

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Hard no, all around. Believing that a story's maturity is defined by the inclusion or exclusion of "adult content" is a juvenile way to approach storytelling that conflates thematic content with aesthetic elements. While mature stories may certainly invoke and or explore themes of sex, violence, and other types of "adult content", it is not the presence of this content that makes them mature, rather how they use these aspects to serve a greater narrative work. Throwing sex and swearing into a juvenile story doesn't magically transform it into a mature work, any more than an 8-year-old saying "f*ck" doesn't transform him into an adult. While I won't exclude the possibility for meaningful exploration of mature topics in a kaiju film, I fail to see how the addition of such content is necessary for the vast majority of stories, both of which already exist or of which I could possibly conceive. I'd wish we stopped with the mindset of needing to "legitimize" certain franchises by haphazardly grafting explicit content into them in the name of "mature story telling", a lighthearted or optimistic film with family friendly content does not have to be antithetical to good storytelling.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This thread should’ve dedicated to Kaiju films in general getting R-rated. Not just the Monsterverse. If anything, an R-rating would with fit Gyaos like a glove.