Warning From G English Translation

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Warning From G English Translation

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I made this long post on Tumblr, which you can read below. However, if you just want a link to Warning from G, here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pBneTw ... sp=sharing

I suggest reading the Tumblr text after:
Spoiler:
Happy Halloween everyone! Here is a spooky Godzilla story I scanned and translated into English, from the Godzilla comic. It's "Warning from G" by Shinobu Kaze.

You can read and enjoy the whole thing here:

By "conventional" Godzilla standards, this might be one of the weirdest Godzilla stories to ever exist. It mainly concerns Godzilla being killed by a martial artist, and Godzilla subsequently posessing a baby. Brief panels from this comic have appeared online over the years,often with biwilderment, and it's no surprise why.

While I maintain it's certainly out there, I think it's incredibly fascinating once you know more about the background of the characters and philsophy behind the story, which is rooted in "Japanese Occultism".

The story appears to largely be based on the philsophies and religious teachings of Onisaburo Deguchi.

The short version is that Onisaburo, according to Wikipedia, was a Japanese religious teacher who believed in a spirit world that reflects humanity. He believed that humanity needed to come together, and that negative energy/vibes, creates and continues horrible actions. While I'm always skeptical to praise spiritual leaders that sound nice on paper, it's worth noting that Onisaburo was a critic of imperial Japan, as he apparently believed that the atrocities committed by Imperial Japan has a negative impact on the human and spiritual world. Therefore, the idea of the story is that ambigiously, post WW2, perhaps ideas and hatred still linger, or so much hatred exists in the world that Godzilla, a manifestation of evil, appeared (if this sounds a little like GMK, you're not wrong!).

Therefore, the stories titular "warning", is that if humanity continues to be horrible to one another, the world will get worse and worse, before horrible creatures will appear!

You can read more about him here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onisaburo_Deguchi

I think if you're a fan of other Japanese series (Yu Yu Hakusho), this may also ring a bell. It's the type of thing that may be repeatedly referenced in Japanese media (Like Journey to the West), that may not be immediately obvious to "Western"/"Non-Japanese"/"Non-Asian" viewers.

That brings us to the second weird intersection of the story, "martial arts". I couldn't find any English resources on Moshibe Uehara, so I apologize in advance if some of that was a little unclear, or if he was a real person and I've just misidentified someone. It's worth noting that one

Professional Wrestler Jushin Liger is brought up at one point in the story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jushin_Liger

What adds an extra layer of weirdness, is that Jushin Liger, the wrestler, partially bases his persona on the actual anime/manga series "Jushin Liger", by Go Nagai. We'll get to Go Nagai in a moment...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jushin_Liger_(TV_series)

Seishi Moribe

The character Seishi Moribe was a real martial artist. Unfortunately, little if any, information exists in English. What I can find about him was that his father was a personal bodyguard for Hideki Tojo, and that he was a martial artist before becoming a wrestling promoter. He later trained Masaharu Funaki, a renowned Japanese MMA Fighter. Funnily enough... Funaki would go on to play a small role as the commander of the Mutant Squad in Godzilla Final Wars!

Anyways, Horibe claims to have invented the "bone method" from the story (which really doesn't have an english translation as far as I can tell), and his supposed feats with it are unreliable.

Ootomo Karo, whom the story claims originally invented ed the bone style, was a real general during the Nara period.

So, you wind up with a Godzilla tale that is, one part Godzilla, one part Japanese spirtuality, and one part martial arts. I think it surpsingly works well for what it is.

Shinobu Kaze is awesome, and I recommend looking into his other works. That brings us to "Go Nagai", one of the most famous mangakas who is up there with Tezuka Osamu and Toriyama Akira. While not directly credited, the credit of the story is given to Shinobu Kaze AND Dynamic Pro. Dynamic production was one of Nagai's studios/production crews. It's unclear if Nagai was directly involved with this, but it's pretty significant to have this involvement. It makes sense, as some of the ideas in the story also line up with Devilman's theming and style.

PS: you may have noticed that my scans and image quality are a lot better. I've invested a lot in a better setup and process, so I intend to pretty much translate all of the Godzilla Comic and Godzilla Comic Strikes back over time.
What do you all think? Certainly a devious story!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Re: Warning From G English Translation

Post by StardustGenius »

Regarding a certain pro wrestler...
Spoiler:
Jushin Thunder Liger is a pro wrestling legend, and one of the greatest of all time, for popularizing the Junior Heavyweight Division (below 220 pounds), not just in New Japan Pro Wrestling, but everywhere he went, especially in WCW in the 1990s.

Jushin Liger is a MAJOR, HIGH PROFILE Godzilla fan, life long. During his time as a Young Lion (rookie trainee wrestlers in the NJPW dojo) back in the 80s, he was known for making Godzilla models. The old guy knows his shit. His inclusion is probably because he is a major Godzilla fan. Last year during the cinematic run of Godzilla vs Kong, Liger was promoting the movie, alongside with NJPW. Google Jushin Liger and Godzilla, or NJPW and Godzilla and you'll see lots of videos of the ShodaiGoji suit at the dojo with Liger, or photos of Keichi Yamada (Liger's IRL name) taking photos with the models he made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:37 am Regarding a certain pro wrestler...
Spoiler:
Jushin Thunder Liger is a pro wrestling legend, and one of the greatest of all time, for popularizing the Junior Heavyweight Division (below 220 pounds), not just in New Japan Pro Wrestling, but everywhere he went, especially in WCW in the 1990s.

Jushin Liger is a MAJOR, HIGH PROFILE Godzilla fan, life long. During his time as a Young Lion (rookie trainee wrestlers in the NJPW dojo) back in the 80s, he was known for making Godzilla models. The old guy knows his shit. His inclusion is probably because he is a major Godzilla fan. Last year during the cinematic run of Godzilla vs Kong, Liger was promoting the movie, alongside with NJPW. Google Jushin Liger and Godzilla, or NJPW and Godzilla and you'll see lots of videos of the ShodaiGoji suit at the dojo with Liger, or photos of Keichi Yamada (Liger's IRL name) taking photos with the models he made.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I looked them up and it's pretty cool.

When you realize that Matsukatsu Funaki is mentioned in the story, who would go on to play a small but recognizeble role in GFW as the captain of the Mutants, and then click it all together with Hurricane Ryu's history with martial arts, it leads to a pretty neat observation that Godzilla really was crossing over with pro wrestling in the 1990s and early 2000s in Japan.

Apparently here's images of Horibe Seishi training with Funaki:
https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/sta ... 1988411393

I find it so fascinating how much of an intersection between various ideas this manga was, and how it clicks together so nicely.

I absolutely love the author of this and might actually start looking into his other works:
Also, I made a typo with the world English on the first page. :(
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Masakatsu Funaki is still around wrestling now, over there at where all the old wrestlers go to, Pro Wrestling NOAH. Defending the GHC National Championship next week. There has always been a subtle bleed over between tokusatsu and pro wrestling since forever. Antonio Inoki cameo'd in tokusatsu series. 90s NJPW Ace, Shinya Hashimoto guest starred as himself in an episode of Ultraman Gaia. Something that the staff on this page NEVER BRING UP for some weird reason???????? Is that the dad from Rebirth Of Mothra 3, is none other than hardcore deathmatch legend ATSUSHI ONITA! This wasn't just some rando they cast to be the dad. This was a HUGE ATTEMPT to draw people to theaters.

HOW DO YA MISS THAT MAN? Dude should have smashed Ghidorah with some light tubes.

People ask "what if Toshiro Mifune ever showed up in a Godzilla movie...?" "I wonder why Kurosawa never got to direct a Godzilla...?"

The real question they should ask themselves is WHY DID RIKIDOZAN NEVER SHOW UP IN A GODZILLA MOVIE?! Rikidozan WAS THE BIGGEST FIGURE IN JAPAN OF THE PERIOD, EVER. On par with El Santo in Mexico. Not even someone like Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair, or The Rock got that kind of star power in their own country. THAT is a wasted opportunity.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.