List your Top 10 Favorite Godzillas

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: List your Top 10 Favorite Godzillas

Post by godjacob »

Okay I feel people who split up the Showa and Heisei Godzilla into their different years counting each as its own Godzilla are cheating XD.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

1. Heisei
2. Monsterverse
3. Final
4. Showa
5. Kiryu
6. 2k
7. GMK
8. Shin
9. Anime
10. Zilla :lol:
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:53 pm Okay I feel people who split up the Showa and Heisei Godzilla into their different years counting each as its own Godzilla are cheating XD.
Different suits

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:45 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:53 pm Okay I feel people who split up the Showa and Heisei Godzilla into their different years counting each as its own Godzilla are cheating XD.
Different suits
Different suit=/=different incarnation of a character. Which is what is being asked.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Different suits
Different suit=/=different incarnation of a character. Which is what is being asked.
Per the original author of the thread:
Mostly characterization/incarnations. Though I imagine all their designs plays into everyone's ranking of them.
Sorry, it may be largely a technicality, but that's an open door for ranking based on suit preferences.

Maybe you guys should include more explanation and discussion, rather than just posting lists and then objecting to other people's.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:41 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:24 pm
Different suits
Per the original author of the thread:
Mostly characterization/incarnations. Though I imagine all their designs plays into everyone's ranking of them.
Sorry, it may be largely a technicality, but that's an open door for ranking based on suit preferences.

Maybe you guys should include more explanation and discussion, rather than just posting lists and then objecting to other people's.
Fair enough, a bit technical as this isn't a "best suits" thread but fair. Apologies.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Heisei
Showa
Monsterverse
GMK
SP
98/GTS (GTS is the only reason it ranks this high)
2000/GxM
Shin/vs Evangelion
Anime
FW
Kiryu
The Ride
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

On the flip side, I’d argue “Showa” or “Heisei” are too generic. You can’t tell me 1964 Godzilla and 1973 Godzilla aren’t completely different takes on the character, even if it’s supposed to be the same creature.

Fwiw, even though I only posted a list of dates, I did consider the actual personality of the creature in addition to the look.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I put more thought into this than I probably should have -

1. 2nd Gen – My hero.
2. 1st Gen
3. Heisei
4. GMK
5. Shin Godzilla
6. MV
7. G2K/GXM
8. Kiryu Series
9. GFW
10. Hanna-Barbera

Honorable mention – GTS

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I enjoy a good ranking every now and then, but I'll just give as much analysis as I feel is suitable.

1) Showa - This is my fav Godzilla incarnation, for he set the precedent for every succeeding Godzilla. Besides that, I love his journey throughout his 14 films, whether it is the gradual growth as a protector or him representing a changing Japan. I'll always list the ending of SoG as one of the greatest moments for Godzilla, it shows him actually manning up to be a father, which I think it a little growth that is overlooked or just not touched upon when other Godzillas adopt a son. In all honesty, Showa Godzilla only became a "superhero" in his last five films, yet even then there's that nice scene in Hedorah where the JSDF is clearly still fearful of him. But I think the fact that Showa Godzilla was able to reach so many highs and set the stage for what Godzilla can be, is what makes him my favourite. Not too mention that he just doesn't quit.
2) GMK - This Godzilla stole the show in one film, and he made sure he was remembered. The meaning behind his return is fascinating, and while it could be argued that GMK Godzilla still falls under Toho wanting things to look a certain way, I think his ghostly eyes and unique physical attributes set a precedent for Godzillas years later in the 2010s. GMK having a beer belly and still being intimidating when charging always stuck out to me, he never appeared goofy in my eyes. He's also a cunning fighter, such as when he knew Mothra was behind him or using Ghidorah as a shield. For me, GMK is a great example of how to pull off Godzilla's entrance - the combination of several human perspectives coupled with Godzilla's attitude and sheer size comes together with grace.
3) Heisei - While I don't like the choices made with him in the later half of his tenure, I still adore and appreciate his character in those first three films. There's melancholy, terror, and awe. However, he also retains what I call the "Godzilla being an asshole is his nature" aspect that I enjoy. Yeah, the beam wars and his origin hamper him a bit, but scenes like Godzilla going for Battra's throat or putting on a power strut as he shoves the fried Mechagodzilla over still feel inherently Godzilla. His death in Destoroyah is sad, despite my feelings on the film as a whole. Mr. Satsuma conveyed a lot of expression that I respect.
4) 1954 - Obviously the first Godzilla set a standard and has a lot of pathos in his film. He still has the best rampage in the series, and his death is as haunting as it is tragic.
5) 2000 (1999) - I'm a big fan of 2000: Millennium, I think this particular Godzilla hit the marks I love and if Toho wanted to bring a Godzilla back for some kind of special, I think he's a great choice. His continuity could be fun to explore, as a sort of balanced Godzilla. Whenever the track "Dreaded God" plays at the end of 2000, I still get chills.
6) Kiryu Saga - Honestly, seeing him on the big screen I was able to notice a lot of subtle things in GxMG. Besides noticing a few nuanced movements and expressions from the actors when this Godzilla is onscreen, I came to really appreciate Godzilla's expressions and his presence. There's this nice shot where Godzilla is downed in the final fight, and realizes that the Absolute Zero is about to fire so he counterattacks. Interesting stuff, and the final confrontation between Godzilla & MG in SOS in one I appreciate a lot, especially with how the film ends. Hearing Ms. Oshima speak about the processing in creating her Godzilla theme at G-Fest makes me a bit partial for this particular Godzilla.
7) Final Wars - I mean, I don't mind seeing a leaner Godzilla. Honestly, I think just seeing this suit return in the recent shorts creates a feeling of "this feels right". I like the attitude Kitagawa gives FW Godzilla, I'm sure it was a helluva fun time to be in the suit.
8) MV - Now, I really like his designs. His abilities are cool, and the design process behind this Godzilla is a cool journey to unravel. But my ranking isn't sorely on design but rather these Godzillas as a whole. I really loved the way Godzilla's attitude was portrayed in GvK, it gave me something I thought was missing with this Godzilla. With that being said, I find most of MV Godzilla's origin to be muddled and underutilized. I'm not a fan of this guy taking three nukes and not giving humanity any punishment for doing so. It's all there, potential waiting to be tapped. GvK gave us a little but ultimately the cause for Godzilla's attacks was from Mechagodzilla, but nothing to do with the several nuclear bombs he survived. I have to give MV Godzilla this critique since the writers wanted to include this ideas about nuclear weapons yet don't do anything satisfying with it.
9) Shin - I adore Shin, he has a great design in a fantastic film. He fulfills his narrative purpose wonderfully, seeing a Toho Godzilla on the big screen was such a treat. Hearing the TOMG as he marches ashore is a fond memory. However, I'll personally have to keep him down here just because of the personality department, but regardless of that he still works great in the narrative of Shin. The forms are cool too.
10) Earth - Earth just satisfies that itch in seeing a Godzilla that's already established and his presence is probably felt the most throughout the narrative since the original '54 Godzilla, to be honest. Earth stands out (quite literally) and I loved seeing a Godzilla that was old yet still had tricks up his branches.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:04 am According to my crack team of statisticians.... We are all colossal nerds. They're informing me this is a Godzilla forum full of colossal nerds.
Yes, true. I get it. And I know Toho has had this particular naming convention for a long time. MosuGoji, KingGoji and BioGoji were known and frequently used names back in the 90s for example.

And for the most part I'm fine with these types of names being used for the movies in the first three Toho series. But damn, when it gets to the point that there are Godzilla variants using the names of MonsterVerse directors or things like ToraGoji (which means what exactly?), it gets to be a little much, especially if someone is going to use them all in a preference list.

Again, isn't using years easier and wouldn't you reach far more people by doing that?
ToraGoji means Toraisuataa Gojira, or Tri-Star Godzilla, i.e. Godzilla 1998/G.I.N.O./Zilla. I dunno offhand what GyuraGoji means.
Friends don't lie.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:27 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:04 am According to my crack team of statisticians.... We are all colossal nerds. They're informing me this is a Godzilla forum full of colossal nerds.
Yes, true. I get it. And I know Toho has had this particular naming convention for a long time. MosuGoji, KingGoji and BioGoji were known and frequently used names back in the 90s for example.

And for the most part I'm fine with these types of names being used for the movies in the first three Toho series. But damn, when it gets to the point that there are Godzilla variants using the names of MonsterVerse directors or things like ToraGoji (which means what exactly?), it gets to be a little much, especially if someone is going to use them all in a preference list.

Again, isn't using years easier and wouldn't you reach far more people by doing that?
ToraGoji means Toraisuataa Gojira, or Tri-Star Godzilla, i.e. Godzilla 1998/G.I.N.O./Zilla. I dunno offhand what GyuraGoji means.
See, that's what drives sme crazy. G98 is an American Godzilla. Why would anyone use a Japanese language name in this instance? G98 is immediate short hand. Everyone is going to immediately know what you mean. If you have to explain what your shorthand means, it's not good shorthand.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I don't see the issue with calling it LegeGoji?

Top 10 Godzillas on its surface doesn't seem like much, but its something that I take a lot into consideration considering how many iterations of suits, CD models, and media there are of Godzilla.

My mind changes quite a bit on the subject, but as of late I have at least a consistent pool I like. A pool that says to me "I will buy merch of this character" for various reasons. Be it aesthetics, or the character hits me in ways I really like. This is kind of an untiered list and more of a group of favorites.

Godzilla 64, Monsterverse/Legendary Godzilla, Godzilla 62, Godzilla 68, Godzilla 91, Godzilla 75, KiryuGoji (Godzilla 2002 might draw some confusion because sometimes I see GMK Godzilla being described as such), Shin, MireGoji. Don't think I got to 10!
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:54 am I don't see the issue with calling it LegeGoji?
If only people did that. Because of minor design changes, hardcore MV fans acknowledge that there are 3 different Godzillas across that series, each with a shorthand name that includes part of the last name of the guys who directed those films. It's kind of anal.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I can understand DouhaGoji at least, since its there is a clear visual difference than the one before by a lot. It's like calling SoshingekiGoji, GiganGoji. There is NO difference between Godzilla in KOTM and vs Kong.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Huh…weird, I was quite certain I already gave out a list here. Probably got it mixed up with the design thread lol. Oh well, here we go:

1) MV Godzilla
2) Showa Godzilla
3) Millennium Godzilla (G2000)
4) Original Godzilla
5) GMK Godzilla
6) Shin Godzilla
7) IDW Godzilla
8) Heisei Godzilla
9) Kiryu Saga Godzilla
10) Marvel Godzilla

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

1. Godzilla 91
2. Godzilla 64
3. Godzilla 2004 GFW
4. Godzilla 68-72
5. Godzilla 54
6. Godzilla 1995 (burning G)
7. Godzilla 62
8. Godzilla 2001 GMK
9. Godzilla 65
10. Legendary Godzilla 2019 & 2021

Top 5 are pretty much set for me, while 6-10 fluctuate every few years.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)