Some questions regarding alternate cuts of Godzilla movies

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
JunkeonWedge
Ronin

Some questions regarding alternate cuts of Godzilla movies

Post by JunkeonWedge »

I’ve been looking into collecting alternate versions of the films, but I have a few questions. These are mostly regarding VHS and Laserdisc, but there’s some DVD sprinkled in.

1: Did Beech Video’s release of Sea Monster predate Video Treasures?

2: Which Sea Monster tape/s contain the original title card?

3: Which Sea Monster tape did MST3K use as their source?

4: Do Paramount’s laserdiscs of vs Mothra, vs Monster Zero, and Terror of Mechagodzilla contain the home video exclusive title cards?

5: Besides GoodTimes, are there any other tapes with the Cosmic Monster title card?

6: Are there any alternate versions of Terror of Mechagodzilla (ex. Terror of Godzilla title card or TV intro) on tape?

7: Does the ADV Destroy All Monsters contain the international title card?

8: Do the New World/Starnamer vs Gigan and vs Mechagodzilla tapes have the international title cards?

9: Does the Orion Smog Monster laserdisc have the AIP or international version?

10: Are there any other pre-DVD variants I should know of. (Excluding the Canadian Monster Island title card and international releases)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Some questions regarding alternate cuts of Godzilla movies

Post by Legion1979 »

3) I don't believe the Film Ventures Sea Monster print used on MST3K was ever released on video.

7 and 8) All three used the International versions, so the title cards would be the international versions too.

9) The Orion Smog Monster release was of the AIP version.

Terasawa could probably answer all your questions, but he hasn't posted in a month.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:56 am 3) I don't believe the Film Ventures Sea Monster print used on MST3K was ever released on video.

7 and 8) All three used the International versions, so the title cards would be the international versions too.

9) The Orion Smog Monster release was of the AIP version.

Terasawa could probably answer all your questions, but he hasn't posted in a month.
Really? I hope he's all right.

JenishJohn12
Young Farmer

Post by JenishJohn12 »

1: Which Sea Monster tape/s contain the original title card?

2: Which Sea Monster tape did MST3K use as their source?

3: Does the Orion Smog Monster laserdisc have the AIP or international version?

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

JenishJohn12 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:41 pm 1: Which Sea Monster tape/s contain the original title card?
I believe most use the original title card. However, finding a VHS with the original ending title is far more rare. The Beech Video bootleg is known to have the original title card.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PyduZoYtc
JenishJohn12 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:41 pm 3: Does the Orion Smog Monster laserdisc have the AIP or international version?
The Orion LaserDisc and VHS are sourced from 35mm elements of the AIP version. Simitar's VHS is sourced from 16mm elements that are missing several of the changes from the theatrical version.

Source 1: https://wikizilla.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs. ... n_releases
Source 2: https://tokucinema.com/movies/Godzilla-Hedorah-1971

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MST3k wouldn't have used any commercially available Sea Monster "tape" as their source, considering the version they used featured a different title sequence (using footage from Son of Godzilla) created by Film Ventures to skirt copyright. And that version was never released on VHS.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:17 pm MST3k wouldn't have used any commercially available Sea Monster "tape" as their source, considering the version they used featured a different title sequence (using footage from Son of Godzilla) created by Film Ventures to skirt copyright. And that version was never released on VHS.
That version did air on television several times, especially in the 90s on the Disney Channel.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132