Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by canofhumdingers »

This could be an interesting poll. Do you prefer the glossy vinyl of old or the modern matte vinyl on your Bandai figures? I for one actually like the modern matte vinyl better.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'd like the matte vinyl just fine if they actually didn't half ass the paint and sculpts as badly so much of the time.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Evas are plain but kinda cute, it's nice just to have simple vinyl versions of them. And if they're doing the Rebuild designs there are of a lot of Evas and variations for them to cover.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Very satisfied. Megaguirus is especially one of the best MMS ever released.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Are you guys paying the 70ish dollars for these 2 figures? Or is there a cheaper alternative to HLJ lol? I want them, but not for that price.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I use Amazon.jp

After roughly calculating the shipping from Amazon Japan to the U.S., I think it costs about 55 dollars. In case you pay in yen.
I thought it is almost same when you order from HLJ. Isn't it?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm Image

Nice, my Megaguirus and a few other figures should arrive tomorrow.

Just curious, do you use a specific brand of display stands for these? It’s time to invest in buying a few of those for some of the flying monsters I have.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think FedEx was something like $28 for when I used HLJ. Expensive, but I had ordered all three MMS figures and a few other items so it seemed fair enough.

That being said, international shipping in general went up… by a LOT. I think my last HobbyLink order was in June and the shipment was around $18 for a box of the same size.
Last edited by Creature22 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:22 am Just curious, do you use a specific brand of display stands for these? It’s time to invest in buying a few of those for some of the flying monsters I have.
Those are from SHMA Rodan & Mothra.

But I can definitely recommend you "Tamashii nations stage" series.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

One thing about the Tamashii stages, though, is I've had a LOT of them break at the small attachment peg. Easy to fix (I drill a hole and replace it with a small nail and then coat it with acrylic nail polish to fit, winds up stronger than before) but annoying.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Isn't the Megagiras figure based on a 20 year old toy that actually had individually articulated legs where this one doesnt?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:15 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm

Isn't the Megagiras figure based on a 20 year old toy that actually had individually articulated legs where this one doesnt?
Yep. While the overall new sculpt is still pretty good, the old one was superior in that regard. It was slightly bigger with more and sharper details and featured better articulaton. The paint apps on the new one are actually quite good for BANDAI's recent standards, but the spikes and edges are scupted kinda dull.
Size DOES matter!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Welp, technically, the old Megaguiurs toys do not belong to "MMS" line up. And let's consider the average quality of this line ;)

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:01 pm Welp, technically, the old Megaguiurs toys do not belong to "MMS" line up. And let's consider the average quality of this line ;)
Ignoring the first Megagiras then...

Titanosaurus. Mechagodzilla II. Godzilla 1974.

By the diminished expectations of what the MMS series is now, the new Megagiras seems like a highlight but let's not forgot just how insanely well done the figures Bandai was doing in the early 2000s were.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:01 pm Welp, technically, the old Megaguiurs toys do not belong to "MMS" line up. And let's consider the average quality of this line ;)
Ignoring the first Megagiras then...

Titanosaurus. Mechagodzilla II. Godzilla 1974.

By the diminished expectations of what the MMS series is now, the new Megagiras seems like a highlight but let's not forgot just how insanely well done the figures Bandai was doing in the early 2000s were.
Sad truth. But let's be happy that the MMS didn't go the way of the Ultra Monster Series. The early to late 2000s figures were of a similar quality as their MMS stuff then and now look at what those became. At least BANDAI's Godzilla vinyls are not candy toys (yet).
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The only consolation for the Ultra stuff now being smaller and cheaper is that they were able to pump out A LOT of it so collectors got a ton of monsters in a short amount of time, including many Showa monsters they never did before.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:48 am The only consolation for the Ultra stuff now being smaller and cheaper is that they were able to pump out A LOT of it so collectors got a ton of monsters in a short amount of time, including many Showa monsters they never did before.
True. The Ultra 500 line isn’t bad, but is definitely a bit of a tease if you started on the 6 inch versions and are reluctant to get into another scale. I have a couple of them myself, but would have loved to have seen characters like Pagos or Nova when the original line was kicking.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Something I am trying to understand is who gets into the Ultra 500 scale, and who gets into the Ultra Kaiju DX line. At times it seems random.

During the run of Ultraman Z, the last boss monster Destrudos was not made into an Ultra Kaiju DX. Kinda disappointing, since I thought he was the coolest chimera kaiju in quite a while. But following up, they make new and improved and larger scaled molds (or maybe they were extensive retools) of old boss kaiju from the Tiga/Dyna/Gaia era. Then they more or less went back to making DX scale figures (which we all know are really the old scale) of mostly new kaiju, or at least boss kaiju.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm Image

I didn't realize that SHMA clamps work for these guys. Going to amazon to order some now!!!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Man this bootleg Kiryu's got more paint variety on it than the real deal.