Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by GojiSquid »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:54 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:07 pm Just a guess... :huge:

It will initially be Hollow Earth Kong-centred with Godzilla saving the day in the third act, leading to a full-on Godzilla movie that will be in production at the same time as this one, albeit staggered a few months later. Those flying creatures/aliens that were hinted at (plus the "eating of the star") last year will come into play.
Your idea sounds better than most, plasma. Also, how are you? Been some time lol.
yeah this sounds pretty reasonable, but I do anticipate Godzilla showing up sometime earlier in the film. Would be dope if we get confirmation of another solo Godzilla movie.
Also yeah, plasmabeam seems like a cool person, hope they're doing well.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

That would be a cool idea but I feel like this will be the last MV film. Who knows though.

I do feel like this movie will open with a prehistory prologue showing bits of the original titan war…

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:07 am That would be a cool idea but I feel like this will be the last MV film. Who knows though.

I do feel like this movie will open with a prehistory prologue showing bits of the original titan war…
I don’t know if it will be the last, but I kind of think it should be. Making a cinematic universe around Godzilla and King Kong was a fun idea, but I don’t think it really lends itself to an ongoing franchise in the vein of the MCU.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:07 am That would be a cool idea but I feel like this will be the last MV film. Who knows though.

It's more spread out now with a movie and 2 tv shows. Bigger story to tell.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Garzon wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:56 pm

I don’t know if it will be the last, but I kind of think it should be. Making a cinematic universe around Godzilla and King Kong was a fun idea, but I don’t think it really lends itself to an ongoing franchise in the vein of the MCU.
Toho made two and got 7 film's or better both times. The MCU has no ending planned but the MV could be finte and still go on a film or 2 longer depending on box office.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

If the Monsterverse had good characters, stories, and well choreographed fight scenes...it could honestly go on for quite a while

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Some of the most successful Hollywood film franchises have none of those...
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I kind of want it to end before the quality drops off. I enjoy all of the films for what they are. And there’s only so much runway here.

Toho could crank out Godzilla films in the 60s and 70s because they were relatively cheap to make.

The MV films aren’t cheap to make at all and again, with nonhuman characters it’s hard to get the audience to be as invested as they would be for a Marvel character.

It can be done. Just look at the show Primal with a non verbal T Rex.

But it’s damned hard and the audience for that sort of thing is probably pretty niche.

I’m all the way in for two shows and this movie. And I could be in for another movie if the plan above is how it shapes out….but that’s kind of the upper limit I think. That would be six films, two tv shows, over the span of more than 10 years. That would make it the most prolific era of Godzilla after the Showa era. Not a bad thing to hang your hat on as a franchise.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I think the monsterverse can continue in a vein similar to the James Bond movies (pre Daniel Craig) or the mission impossible movies where it's a series of individual plots of movies rather than one continuous narrative like the MCU. Even if this next movie is the last of the ancient titan war plotline, you can still just do more adventures of Kong and Godzilla either saving the world, man experiments gone wrong, new invasive titan, or man tries to enslave titan and Godzilla or Kong save the day and humble Mankind. I mean James Bond is a franchise that heavily repeats plotlines (there's like 4 or 5 Bond films where the Antagonist uses a doomsday satellite weapon) and it's still going moderately strong even if he's not politically correct.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:16 pm I kind of want it to end before the quality drops off

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

We'll know more in 2024 but the fact their doing Godzilla and Kong again I think this is the start of a new arc.

Added in 48 seconds:
Godzilla 2014
Skull Island
KOTM

Rise of the Titans arc

G vs K
G vs K sequel

Titan War arc

Something like this.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:59 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:16 pm I kind of want it to end before the quality drops off
I was curious if you could resist that comment or not :lol:

But yeah. This franchise and Dune are all Legendary has so they’ll want to milk it til it’s dry.

It all comes down to the quality of the films and if the GA turns out to see them.

I feel like this next one probably will have some lessons learned from GvK so I expect it to be at least slightly better. Plus. Dan Stevens gives me a boost of confidence.

And the Kurt Russell in the tv show….come on man. My favorite actor in my favorite franchise. Boom.

And a Kong anime dropping in a month or so.

Even if the GA doesn’t turn out, I’m super happy with what we are getting.

Love the stuff going on with Shin Ultraman/Kamen Rider and Kamen Rider Black Sun in Japan as well.

We are eating good right now fam

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thing with Kaiju/Titans is Star power can and will always change and evolve. These CGI monster models will only continue to upgrade, not degrade like the old suits. So there isn’t really a reason to reboot or end things, especially with the intention of turning Kong and Godzilla into movie stars themselves.

Even if we get two duds, there could be two break out diamond films after that. Actors get old? Want to move on? No problem, jump to another series of humans and their perspectives.

Let’s get to the point of the 60s/90s films on crack, where it’s a futuristic world at the whim of the Titans returning etc. a much more linear line of storytelling from the serious 2014, to an action/thriller oriented cyberpunk future.

But I’m also perfectly okay with more streamlined modern environmental storytelling with Hedorah, Biollante, type events.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

well, with Tom Holkenborg already confirmed to be the composer I hope this movie's soundtrack is more like the Mechagodzilla theme and hong kong then well how the rest of the soundtrack was unimpressive

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Personally I think the Monsterverse still has plenty of legs behind it. While I doubt it'll have the same longevity as the MCU, we're still far from the end point.

That being said, if it were to fall sooner than expected, I don't think it would be apocalyptic for Godzilla as a whole. The Big G's in a really unique situation where his character, and the kaiju around him, has become abstract enough* that you can tweak him to fit into basically any context you want, meaning he can be put into any story or universe indefinitely.

I grew up on this version of the character, and I love the more complex character-building and world-building that the Monsterverse does with him. That being said, when it's this incarnation's time to go, I'll be plenty willing to let it rest, and look forwards to the next incarnation.

*This isn't really germaine to a MV thread, but I do think it'd be kinda interesting to explore how the post-1954 Showa films, by effectively ripping the heart out of Godzilla's original nuclear story for cashgrabs, made him an unkillable icon.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Since this is another crossover I would like to get 1 more solo film from each and 1 more crossover after this one.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:34 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:59 pm
I was curious if you could resist that comment or not :lol:

But yeah. This franchise and Dune are all Legendary has so they’ll want to milk it til it’s dry.

It all comes down to the quality of the films and if the GA turns out to see them.

I feel like this next one probably will have some lessons learned from GvK so I expect it to be at least slightly better. Plus. Dan Stevens gives me a boost of confidence.

And the Kurt Russell in the tv show….come on man. My favorite actor in my favorite franchise. Boom.

And a Kong anime dropping in a month or so.

Even if the GA doesn’t turn out, I’m super happy with what we are getting.

Love the stuff going on with Shin Ultraman/Kamen Rider and Kamen Rider Black Sun in Japan as well.

We are eating good right now fam
Speaking of which, wonder when the marketing will start for the Skull Island Anime.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Sammy19 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:06 amSpeaking of which, wonder when the marketing will start for the Skull Island Anime.
If it's coming out this year, I imagine we'll get something trailer related during NYCC in October.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Yeah I think Godzilla vs Kong sequel is gonna to be a great movie, I wonder when they’ll marketing the movie

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Not until end of 2023 I’d imagine.