Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
UltramanGoji

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:11 pm I've got one question: wasn't the Walter-Reade version of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster released in the U.S. in 1969? It says "1967" on the OP.
Just as a pre-warning: don't use my interest in keeping the OP up-to-date as a reason to point out minor spelling/date errors and corrections. I'll only be updating the OP if the information needs significant improvement. Posting about minor mistakes just wastes everyone's time and clogs up the thread with spam posts.

That said, not sure. Steve Ryfle's Mon-Star book says 1967 but Wikizilla says 1968 as does Wikipedia which cites Stuart Galbraith IV's Toho Studios Story book. You might be thinking of the UK release which Wikzilla says is 1969. I'd need word from someone like Teresawa or MaxRebo320 who know more about this than me.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:27 pm Just as a pre-warning: don't use my interest in keeping the OP up-to-date as a reason to point out minor spelling/date errors and corrections. I'll only be updating the OP if the information needs significant improvement. Posting about minor mistakes just wastes everyone's time and clogs up the thread with spam posts.
I don't see correcting minor mistakes as a waste of time or spammy. In fact you oftentimes learn new things if a mistake has to be corrected. Can someone else do updates since you don't seem keen on doing it anymore?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:34 pm I don't see correcting minor mistakes as a waste of time or spammy.
Asking for something like "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster should be Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster" is not worth making an individual post for and is spam. Asking for something like that repeatedly is also spam. Changing years is fine and it wasn't that instance that made me make that post, but rather how the user in question often posts in other threads asking for minor instances like that to be corrected, sometimes over and over with repeated posts.
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:34 pm Can someone else do updates since you don't seem keen on doing it anymore?
Uh...I never said I wasn't? I'm totally fine with updating the OP provided the reasons given are valid and not just minor, inconsequential mistakes like capitalization.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 pm Asking for something like "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster should be Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster" is not worth making an individual post for and is spam. Asking for something like that repeatedly is also spam. Changing years is fine and it wasn't that instance that made me make that post, but rather how the user in question often posts in other threads asking for minor instances like that to be corrected, sometimes over and over with repeated posts.
I didn't realize mikelcho had a history of asking for minor edits like name capitalization. I saw you made a pre-emptive strike there without realizing the context. Not sure I'd categorize an intial capitalization edit request as "spam" though. Fandom can be super into tiny details like that. Kind of goes with the territory in my experience. Star Trek Fandom being the worst. But if it is repeatedly then yes I could see that as spam.

I agree that a year update is significant enough to warrant a change, especially for all great dub like the WR dub for Sea Monster. Not sure I'd categorize a capitalization edit request as "spam" though. Fandom can be super sensitive about tiny details. Star Trek Fandom being the worst.
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 pm Uh...I never said I wasn't? I'm totally fine with updating the OP provided the reasons given are valid and not just minor, inconsequential mistakes like capitalization.
Maybe I'm getting my threads mixed up. I thought I remember you saying recently that you were no longer going to update a thread because it no longer held your interest and were moving on. Since you were taking shots at mikelcho about updating this one I thought this was it. My apologies if I was incorrect.
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:27 pm I didn't realize mikelcho had a history of asking for minor edits like name capitalization. I saw you made a pre-emptive strike there without realizing the context. Not sure I'd categorize an intial capitalization edit request as "spam" though. Fandom can be super into tiny details like that. Kind of goes with the territory in my experience. Star Trek Fandom being the worst. But if it is repeatedly then yes I could see that as spam.

I agree that a year update is significant enough to warrant a change, especially for all great dub like the WR dub for Sea Monster.
Well, what constitutes as "spam" is up to the staff and stuff like this fits our discussed bill. Requests like that don't add any new or relevant information to the thread and are just nitpicky and frankly, obnoxious. It's disappointing to see a new post in this thread and instead of having it be some new information that could help out the thread, it turns out to be a request to capitalize one word or add an adverb to a title that doesn't have to be there.
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:27 pm Maybe I'm getting my threads mixed up. I thought I remember you saying recently that you were no longer going to update a thread because it no longer held your interest and were moving on. Since you were taking shots at mikelcho about updating this one I thought this was it. My apologies if I was incorrect.
Yeah no, that was the "Guide to Giant Monster Movies on DVD/Blu-ray" thread which...you can probably understand why I wouldn't be interested in continuing to maintain something so large in scope and kind of pointless all things considered?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Since when is it written as "Godzilla vs The Sea Monster" anyway? I've never seen "the" capitalized.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:40 am Since when is it written as "Godzilla vs The Sea Monster" anyway? I've never seen "the" capitalized.
It’s a hypothetical.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:14 pm Well, what constitutes as "spam" is up to the staff and stuff like this fits our discussed bill. Requests like that don't add any new or relevant information to the thread and are just nitpicky and frankly, obnoxious. It's disappointing to see a new post in this thread and instead of having it be some new information that could help out the thread, it turns out to be a request to capitalize one word or add an adverb to a title that doesn't have to be there.
I think you are making a big deal about something that isn't really a big deal. I could understand if someone asked over and over and over to do something small like that. And if that's what mikelcho does then I'd say that's spam. But I don't think asking for something like capitalizing a word initially (which is hypothetical situation here) which would take you about 3 seconds to do is some crime. Maybe I just have a more easy going nature than you. But for a thread that has 9 comments in 2 years it doesn't even seem like a prevalent issue.
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:14 pm Yeah no, that was the "Guide to Giant Monster Movies on DVD/Blu-ray" thread which...you can probably understand why I wouldn't be interested in continuing to maintain something so large in scope and kind of pointless all things considered?
Both that thread and this thread are "guide" threads so you can probably understand my confusion ;) I've been out of the TK bubble for a while and I forgot how stern this place can be on certain things. I'm just saying we should be a little more open to reasonable requests and not target people for actions that they "may" take.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I also don't think maintaining a thread about home video releases - which is a valuable resource in a hobby about FILMS - is pointless.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:53 pm I also don't think maintaining a thread about home video releases - which is a valuable resource in a hobby about FILMS - is pointless.
It is when sites like Blu-ray.com exist. If users want to see if a movie is available, they can use sites like that to find out. There's way too many giant monster movies out there than I can keep track of and there were times when people would ask if a certain movie would be considered and I declined. So it ended up being not a "truly" complete list since I had my personal biases in effect when making it and the hassle of having to constantly update just made it a waste of my time.

The only thing I can say is that maybe in the future I'll make a thread specifically for this fandom but even then there's threads like that on Blu-ray.com's forums too so anyone who's interested has ways to get this information besides here.

Now then, let's drop this dissecting of my initial comment and leave this thread to be about the English versions of Toho films instead.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:27 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:11 pm I've got one question: wasn't the Walter-Reade version of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster released in the U.S. in 1969? It says "1967" on the OP.
That said, not sure. Steve Ryfle's Mon-Star book says 1967 but Wikizilla says 1968 as does Wikipedia which cites Stuart Galbraith IV's Toho Studios Story book. You might be thinking of the UK release which Wikzilla says is 1969. I'd need word from someone like Teresawa or MaxRebo320 who know more about this than me.
It might have been available for syndication in 1967, but I've never seen any evidence of an earlier broadcast date than February 25, 1968 at 11:30 PM on New York's WNBC, which was advertised as the "TV premiere" in Paterson, New Jersey's The News. (But, worth noting, I've seen films advertised as television premieres before that had already played in other markets.)

And Son of Godzilla: April 11, 1969 at 8:30 PM on San Francisco's KEMO-TV (today using the call sign KOFY).

The list in the OP is in need of an update, but it's a huge undertaking. However, I maintain a catalog of the known Toho export dubs here, although it's not 100% analogous to the OP. (For one thing, it doesn't cover any of the made-in-America versions of these films.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:38 am
The list in the OP is in need of an update, but it's a huge undertaking. However, I maintain a catalog of the known Toho export dubs here, although it's not 100% analogous to the OP. (For one thing, it doesn't cover any of the made-in-America versions of these films.)
As the thread's originator no longer posts here, perhaps the best thing to do is to retire this thread by locking and unpinning it. Then someone would start a new thread entitled "Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions Part 2" with a link to Part 1 (as it would be renamed) in the first post of Part 2. That would permit people to obtain more accurate information with comparative ease. I have seen other forums do things like this. Obviously the thread would have to be started by someone with an authoritative knowledge of the subject.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Great Hierophant wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:03 am
Terasawa wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:38 am
As the thread's originator no longer posts here, perhaps the best thing to do is to retire this thread by locking and unpinning it. Then someone would start a new thread entitled "Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions Part 2" with a link to Part 1 (as it would be renamed) in the first post of Part 2. That would permit people to obtain more accurate information with comparative ease. I have seen other forums do things like this. Obviously the thread would have to be started by someone with an authoritative knowledge of the subject.
In that case, I'd point anyone interested to Toku Cinema, which is essentially a "cousin" to this thread. (In that both this thread and that website developed differently from the same master document which originated at a Facebook group.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

dantemark
Young Farmer

Post by dantemark »

. I'm not sure when they stopped doing this, but when the film aired on TNT's "MonsterVision" in '94, the prologue was nowhere to be seen.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

dantemark wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:35 am . I'm not sure when they stopped doing this, but when the film aired on TNT's "MonsterVision" in '94, the prologue was nowhere to be seen.
That prologue was long gone by the late 80s. I first saw Terror syndicated on a Saturday afternoon in 1986. It had the prologue but the rest tof the film was the edited version. Definitely a weird hybrid. It was the only time I ever saw the prologue air on TV. After that, all airings of the movie, from regular TV to cable, were the fully edited version without the prologue.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It wouldn't surprise me if the original TV version (with the prologue) was still airing in the late 1980s on independent stations that had earlier shown that version of the film, but AFAIK there's no way to easily verify that (because the later version used the same title). For example, "Godzilla vs the Thing" was still being programmed into the late '80s on stations that had previously shown that version, this despite the fact that version officially having been replaced by the UPA version ("Godzilla vs. Mothra") circa 1980. I'm not sure what the penalties would have been for broadcasting a program after your license to it had expired, but it seems like it occurred every once in a while.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

All good points.

But I definitely know in my area (Long Island/NY) the station that originally ran the film with the prologue in 1986 (WPIX) was running it without the prologue by 1988 for their Summer 'Mean Green" Godzilla marathon.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'll admit to having seen the light. I'm a convert.

I hope that all of the unique Dubs and unique versions of all of the Godzilla films get restored, preserved, and released onto physical media with the same quality as all of the original cuts. Here's hoping Toho and Criterion make all the moves, bring it all together, restore it all, and preserve it all. 4K restorations for everything, highest quality sources and cleanest presentations for everything. Take a page out of Arrow's book for Gamera and do an even better job.

I'm joining the ranks of speaking THAT into existence.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

....sounds like you're speaking to a brick wall.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Hoping someone who knows sees this comment (hopefully Terasawa)...

Do copy/prints of of the three Walter Reade Sterling Godzilla releases exist with distribitor logos before the title cards?

Secondly, the main title of Yog, Monster From Space ends with a zoom in on Kameba not present in the Japanese version. Did AIP manipulate that themselves or could Toho have filmed it that way? And what the heck happened with the end credits of this film anyway? Clearly AIP wanted to play around with closing credits, since Destroy all Monsters has them too, but are the full original credits to Yog lost? The copy I first saw in the 80s has only two of three credit shots backed by the cruise ship music and then everything cuts off abruptly. The carelessness of it made the film look cheaper than it already was.