Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Thoughts on the unmade GODZILLA (1994)

Post by darthzilla99 »

Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:56 pm I read the script and i love the stan winston design for godzilla curious will the effects for the film would be simaler to jurassic Park tex break out scenes(I also would not mind if they make a figure for it) also if this did got made would it sequel and would they use Mothra, rodan, mechagodzilla and ghidorah just like the monsterverse is doing what would their design would be like
My guess is the movie would have done a good bit better than GINO. The movie would still be panned by critics though the effects would have been praised. Fan base reaction would have been mixed on the hunched forward style Godzilla design and backstory, but the fights would have been liked. The GA would have liked it as a general blockbuster and the merchandise would have sold alot better. Keep in mind The Lost World jurassic park and independence day were hated by movie critics but loved by the GA.

They would have tried a sequel though not sure if it would have done as well. I think Peter Jackson would have gotten king kong first before LOTR in this hypothetical timeline. Power Rangers Time Force almost got a theatrical movie made in real life so I think that would have happened in this what if. Disney would have promoted Mighty Joe Young more.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why would people be opposed to having a version of Godzilla with aliens tied in with his origins? How is it any more outlandish then anything else Toho has done over the years? My guess is that it takes away the whole folly of man aspect.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:10 pm [img]https://wikizilla.org/w/images/d/d5/274 ... 8580_n.jpg[/im]

That's how you redesign something.
Makes me which the original plan would have happened where this Goji fights Heisei Goji.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Fan Flick entitled THE GRYPHON.. Featuring the lost kaiju's fight in New York with Godzillas.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Nice find. The Gryphon's gargoyle like look is appealing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

For a fanfic short, they did a pretty good job. Kind of a mix of news/found footage. Obviously not an effects house so it's a little washed out but hell I couldn't even sniff that graphical ability. More time, texture and contrast and it would only be better.
I like in the beginning (tracking a creature they initially thought was Godzilla) Gino get whooped then Legendary shows up and Gino joins the battle to help with his green breath. At the end their interaction is almost like Legendary telling GINO to know his role.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:00 pm Why would people be opposed to having a version of Godzilla with aliens tied in with his origins? How is it any more outlandish then anything else Toho has done over the years? My guess is that it takes away the whole folly of man aspect.
Absolutely. Some of the blowback on the '98 film initially included the fact Godzilla was an "iguana" in that film, which was much more pervasive a criticism in the early '00s. More recently it has become a bigger focus of question that they shifted the blame from the Americans to the French nuclear tests. Both of these are much less radical changes than making Godzilla an entirely alien-created creature.

Also, I'd love Gryphon to come back. I heard about him as a little kid and would use a spare dragon to play Gryphon, and then once I had King Ghidorah, I would make them linked. Silly fanfic kid stuff, but you know, that adds to my curiosity about him.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

JVM wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:11 pmAbsolutely. Some of the blowback on the '98 film initially included the fact Godzilla was an "iguana" in that film, which was much more pervasive a criticism in the early '00s. More recently it has become a bigger focus of question that they shifted the blame from the Americans to the French nuclear tests. Both of these are much less radical changes than making Godzilla an entirely alien-created creature.
Not to mention, Gamera had been given a similar origin.

But even still, it’s explained that this Godzilla was created as a hybrid of variously spliced dinosaur DNA. And even the opening of the script had his sleep interrupted by dumped nuclear waste and cores, not unlike Shin Godzilla.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:57 am
JVM wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:11 pmAbsolutely. Some of the blowback on the '98 film initially included the fact Godzilla was an "iguana" in that film, which was much more pervasive a criticism in the early '00s. More recently it has become a bigger focus of question that they shifted the blame from the Americans to the French nuclear tests. Both of these are much less radical changes than making Godzilla an entirely alien-created creature.
Not to mention, Gamera had been given a similar origin.

But even still, it’s explained that this Godzilla was created as a hybrid of variously spliced dinosaur DNA. And even the opening of the script had his sleep interrupted by dumped nuclear waste and cores, not unlike Shin Godzilla.
I'm not arguing against whatever would have been presented in the film, but I am arguing that fans are easily pissed off about changes to the character's origin and I truly don't think any mount of writing on any level would cancel out a negative reaction.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:00 pm Why would people be opposed to having a version of Godzilla with aliens tied in with his origins? How is it any more outlandish then anything else Toho has done over the years? My guess is that it takes away the whole folly of man aspect.
Remember this was 1998, when there were only two versions of Godzilla and both were very traditional. Any change that went against either version was going to he met with serious push-back from the fans.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:53 am
Remember this was 1998, when there were only two versions of Godzilla and both were very traditional. Any change that went against either version was going to he met with serious push-back from the fans.
Also it wasn't Toho doing the change.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 am
You really think fans would have just accepted it if Toho did the exact same thing Emmerich did with the character?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

JVM wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 amI'm not arguing against whatever would have been presented in the film, but I am arguing that fans are easily pissed off about changes to the character's origin and I truly don't think any mount of writing on any level would cancel out a negative reaction.
I imagine it wasn’t helped by the redesign anyway.
And I guess just having a previously undiscovered species of dinosaur being awakened and scarred by nuclear testing seem more believable to some fans than having a small iguana just grow immensely into an entirely new “species” within the span of 30 years from radiation fallout. Not to mention, the 98 film doesn’t seem to delve into where the Godzilla/Gojira name itself came from or even mean. Phillipe just picks it up from the ship survivor and everyone just seem to adopt it for the new monster.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:59 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:30 am

You really think fans would have just accepted it if Toho did the exact same thing Emmerich did with the character?
I thought we were talking strictly the 96 alien origin and not tying him to nuclear power.

Judging by the MV vs Shin debates from around the internet in 2017 had Toho created Godzilla 98 while there would be hate for it as people didn't like Shin that was just Godzilla
turned uo to 11 so Godzilla turned diwn to 0 would have been criticized. Fans seem to be more willing to let Toho be experimental while others have to get Godzilla in a certain way as they are adapting while Toho are the orginal creators that can do no wrong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:05 am
JVM wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:35 amI'm not arguing against whatever would have been presented in the film, but I am arguing that fans are easily pissed off about changes to the character's origin and I truly don't think any mount of writing on any level would cancel out a negative reaction.
I imagine it wasn’t helped by the redesign anyway.
And I guess just having a previously undiscovered species of dinosaur being awakened and scarred by nuclear testing seem more believable to some fans than having a small iguana just grow immensely into an entirely new “species” within the span of 30 years from radiation fallout. Not to mention, the 98 film doesn’t seem to delve into where the Godzilla/Gojira name itself came from or even mean. Phillipe just picks it up from the ship survivor and everyone just seem to adopt it for the new monster.
We don't... need to go over every flaw in the film do we? Christ. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Make Godzilla a goddamn alien, it's what the fans want.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

JVM wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:24 pmWe don't... need to go over every flaw in the film do we? Christ. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Make Godzilla a goddamn alien, it's what the fans want.
Dude, chill, I was just throwing in my own personal speculation and perspective on the matter.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JVM, on TK, it's a short trip from analyzing to over analyzing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.