What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What major film company do you think would own Gamera?

Universal
8%
Paramount
No votes
Warner Bros.
24%
Walt Disney
44%
Sony
No votes
MGM
No votes
Lionsgate
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 25

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by Gigantis »

Well, like Jag said, if Disney ever did get the hold on Gamera and made it a success, there's gonna be sequels. Lots and lots and lots and lots of sequels. Plus a Disney+ spinoff about some other kaiju. :lol: I'd also imagine that a Disney Gamera would also be the one most likely to finally give him an ally. Not really sure what's making me jump to that conclusion though. Maybe it's Disney's knack for animal sidekicks?

With Warner.. I mean, he's gonna get shoved into the MonsterVerse, no doubt about that. Question really is if they can bring him in without being overshadowed by Godzilla and Kong, who are still WAY more popular than he is... Which is kind of why I think adding him to the MV is a mistake to begin with, but I digress.

Universal tries to turn him into the next Jurassic World, goofy, nonsensical tone and all. Considering Gamera got his start in the Showa Era that way though, maybe that's not a bad thing. I could see Sony doing something similar if they're bringing him in to their live action department, but if it's their animated one, the tone might be a bit darker, kind of like Spider-Verse.

Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate.. I don't really know TBH. The latter two haven't really even tackled a kaiju franchise, and while Paramount has with Cloverfield, I can't see them making a Gamera film with a similar tone to that. Gamera films have the dark moment, but J.J Abram's signature mystery buildup is something the franchise hasn't tackled and probably never will, that's not the tone they go for. Still, might lead to a crossover where Gamera fights Clover. That would be something at least. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I think the discussion could be different if the question wasn't asking what studio could OWN Gamera. No one is going to do that. A better question would be "What major film studio might LICENSE Gamera?"

Still probably never happening but more realistic.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:07 am I think the discussion could be different if the question wasn't asking what studio could OWN Gamera. No one is going to do that. A better question would be "What major film studio might LICENSE Gamera?"
I actually agree with you on this one.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:50 pm Or...OR...how about we just let Gamera stay where it is and stop this ridiculous thought exercise?
What do you have against people dreaming?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:07 am I think the discussion could be different if the question wasn't asking what studio could OWN Gamera. No one is going to do that. A better question would be "What major film studio might LICENSE Gamera?"
Good point, I probably should’ve worded it better that way.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)