Godzilla 2000 as a sequel to Godzilla 98?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla 2000 as a sequel to Godzilla 98?

Post by Legion1979 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:44 pm The density on display here is baffling. I will elaborate in the dedicated Box Office Thread.
Or you could not. No one is forcing you to post.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:02 am Wow. That's the kind of post everyone should read

But they won't, because it's easier to cry about Endgame and how it's never Godzilla's fault.
You mean the part where he always says Covid had no effect on Godzilla vs Kong.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:51 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:02 am Wow. That's the kind of post everyone should read

But they won't, because it's easier to cry about Endgame and how it's never Godzilla's fault.
Yes that was the one part of that post I think he should clarify more. But I'm not going to let that take away from everything else he wrote.

ESPECIALLY the part about Endgame having done almost 95% of its business before KOTM even came out and only making $8 million that same weekend. Again, people need to stop crying about Endgame. I think Stream's post should put an end to that. But what do I know?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I'll be in the Box Office thread.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:55 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:51 pm

Yes that was the one part of that post I think he should clarify more. But I'm not going to let that take away from everything else he wrote.

ESPECIALLY the part about Endgame having done almost 95% of its business before KOTM even came out and only making $8 million that same weekend. Again, people need to stop crying about Endgame. I think Stream's post should put an end to that. But what do I know?
Steam's post uses a lot of numbers and facts but it also leaves out several factors.

Kotm was a film made toward hardcore fans that it likely drove off some people, Kotm was not the best film either we can all agree on. No side of the argument myself included which I am trying to do better on ever considers all the factors.

The best trailer for kotm was released well to early due to delays for one and it wasn't just endgame and Aladdin that fans like to blame the box office on, their were a lot of movies behind kotm of you want to blame competition. It was easy to want to blame Endgame because it was such a huge movie it feels like it took more than it's fair share but yes its time to move on for saying that is the sole reason.

Kotm also isn't as much of a flop as people like to say as it almost made 400m. It's budget and marketing is another factor.

No one ever wants to have a honest debate about topics like kotm and its easier to fling mud and throw stones.

The only thing is I don't think a Godzilla 3 would preform like kotm I think it would move closer to G14 and SI personally.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Personally, I think everyone needs just stop blaming competition, period. Plenty of movies do great even with competition.

KOTM had plenty of room to do really well and it didn't. And there are reasons for that besides "Boo hoo Disney movies exist".

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Competition absolutely was a factor. That's point blank truth. Of course there were people, probably a good number of them, that chose to see other movies during that crowded, competitive time frame. There's no point in trying to pretend that didn't happen. The trailer being poorly timed probably hurt some, too.

As Stream's post showed, though, prior US Godzilla releases all performed the same way with or without heavy competition and early trailers. So using those historical precedents, we can safely assume that KOTM was heading for a massive second week drop off regardless of outside factors. All of its predecessors did the same. Why should KOTM have been an outlier?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

G2K certainly lifts a lot from G98 so you could see them - in a personal canon - as companion pieces
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.