Who Hates the Polygon Trilogy?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

How do you feel about These films?

1. They're flawless masterpieces
9%
2. They're great
5%
3. They're good
9%
4. They're mediocre
16%
5. They're disappointing
34%
6. They're absolutely abysmal
27%

Total votes: 77

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Re: Who Hates the Polygon Trilogy?

Post by SharkLord »

It had some cool concepts, but overall it's just not very memorable. I don't hate it, I just don't care about it that much.

My hot take is that I actually thought the nanometal city was a cool idea, even if it's not really Mechagodzilla. It'd probably be recieved a lot better if it was, y'know, it's own thing and not a Mechagodzilla and Godzilla moved at least slightly faster than the literal plant he is. Aside from that, I like the concept of Ghidorah being an eldritch god with an alien cult serving him, but yeah, I'm sure there's a better way of doing it than a trio of shiny noodles that laze around and bit Godzilla occasionally.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

SharkLord wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 pm It had some cool concepts, but overall it's just not very memorable. I don't hate it, I just don't care about it that much.

My hot take is that I actually thought the nanometal city was a cool idea, even if it's not really Mechagodzilla. It'd probably be recieved a lot better if it was, y'know, it's own thing and not a Mechagodzilla and Godzilla moved at least slightly faster than the literal plant he is. Aside from that, I like the concept of Ghidorah being an eldritch god with an alien cult serving him, but yeah, I'm sure there's a better way of doing it than a trio of shiny noodles that laze around and bit Godzilla occasionally.
I also really liked the nanometal concept. It also could have worked with Mechagodzilla if they had pushed the concept more. Unfortunately, they made him a city, and we didn’t get to see the “true” Mechagodzilla in action.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:51 pm
SharkLord wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 pm It had some cool concepts, but overall it's just not very memorable. I don't hate it, I just don't care about it that much.

I also really liked the nanometal concept. It also could have worked with Mechagodzilla if they had pushed the concept more. Unfortunately, they made him a city, and we didn’t get to see the “true” Mechagodzilla in action.
Yeah, nanometal could've have a lot of unique applications if it was used to it's fullest. It could have easily revived the Berserk concept, starting out as a blob/city of nanometal and then evolving into Mechagodzilla, and it would've actually fit, given the theme of life absorbing Godzilla's DNA because he's the ultimate being. Alternatively, they could've had Mechagodzilla appear and fight at the start, only to start breaking down and turn into a twisted mockery of a Godzilla. Or it could've mass-produced an army of Mechagodzillas, or...

I do hope the franchise revisits the nanometal concept at some point in the future, because there's a lot more that could've been done with it than just PotM's weapons but bigger.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:19 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:02 pm I will admit that this trilogy had SOME good ideas, but the bad ones meant that they were ultimately for nought. For example, Godzilla being a plant-based organism and the design of Mechagodzilla.
Godzilla being a plant-based organism was actually really creative, and normally I'd be totally down for such a unique take.

The real problem was how they executed it all.

Added in 30 seconds:
To quote my favorite character in the Walking Dead franchise:

"The plan was good...the execution was the messy part."
As a refutation, I would like to quote Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park :

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." Only substitute the Ingen scientists with this trilogy's writers.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:21 pm Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:02 pm I will admit that this trilogy had SOME good ideas, but the bad ones meant that they were ultimately for nought. For example, Godzilla being a plant-based organism and the design of Mechagodzilla.
Godzilla being a plant-based organism was actually really creative, and normally I'd be totally down for such a unique take.

Added in 30 seconds:

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." Only substitute the Ingen scientists with this trilogy's writers.
Dude, that post was from a whole-ass year ago. Why do you only reply to it now?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:34 pm

Added in 30 seconds:

I've wanted to make a response to your statement for a while. I just couldn't think of a good one until now.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah, if you like these, more power to you. They are not for me. I consider them a colossal waste of time.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:36 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:34 pm

I've wanted to make a response to your statement for a while. I just couldn't think of a good one until now.
Still feels extremely weird to respond to something practically a year old, and even stranger to respond with that analogy of all things.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I see this has been revived so here's my 2 cents on it.
As a whole, it sucks. Hard. Not a very innovative opinion but still. POTM was the definition of "squandered potential", and I was praying that the other 2 would pick up the slack. But then COTEOB pulled a TLJ and shat the bed, and TPE was just too little, too late with a horrible Ghidorah and just a really bad ending.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I understand it's hyperbolic internet verb usage, but I can't stand the word "hate". What did the Polygon Trilogy do to garnish personal vendettas against it?
At worst, it's the most self-contained and skippable entry in the series. It didn't introduce any new monsters (servum don't count), it didn't overstay its welcome (all three were released in a short peroid between 2017 and 2019) and it's not like Toho is rubbing the Polygon trilogy in your face. Unlike GFW, or even the Amercican Godzilla film it didn't horribly bomb or somehow alter what people think of Godzilla. Plus it's "free" if you have a netflix subscription. Many people on here probably didn't pay to see it. As a result, you can't even make the argument that it stole money from you. I think the big takeaway was like Chibi Godzilla, Toho was trying to reach a market they hadn't tapped yet: anime otakus. The types that like vengeful characters and "adult" ( :P ) animation that isn't geared towards Shounen audiences.

There's a lot I don't like about it, and I'll always prefer any of the Toho/MV outings to it, but at most its a depressing lukewarm cake. You eat it, and feel a little bloated and depressed after, but it's not like eating literal shit. There's still some redeeming factors, and interesting concepts.

I think hindsight is 20/20. I can't also think too badly of it after we later got Godzilla SP, and presumably someday we'll get a second season of that, or some other more traditional Godzilla anime. For me, they're just mediocre.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I almost want to give them a rewatch just to reevaluate them with fresh eyes. The problem is that they’re so mediocre that I’m not sure I’d get much out of it. I’d rather watch any other Godzilla movie than these. I’ve rewatched SP a couple times already but I’ve no interest in rewatching these. As much as I dig most of the kaiju designs and even some concepts (cult around Ghidorah was chilling!), I just don’t know if it’s worth going back to watch this trilogy.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:50 pm I almost want to give them a rewatch just to reevaluate them with fresh eyes. The problem is that they’re so mediocre that I’m not sure I’d get much out of it. I’d rather watch any other Godzilla movie than these. I’ve rewatched SP a couple times already but I’ve no interest in rewatching these. As much as I dig most of the kaiju designs and even some concepts (cult around Ghidorah was chilling!), I just don’t know if it’s worth going back to watch this trilogy.
I've stated this in other topics, but me having zero natural interest in rewatching things is indicative of something, but I'm not sure what. I've never been in the mood to rewatch it, and certainly now in an era after SP we can look at it differently. Part of the problem I think though is that it's a commitment. You can't just watch City on The Edge of Battle by itself, like you can just pop in any of the other entries in the franchise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:40 pm There's still some redeeming factors, and interesting concepts.
That's honestly what makes them so infuriating. I get it, they were a one and done thing but it was still a chance to really take these genuinely fascinating and tantalizing ideas and really go ham with them, but instead we get something that frankly feels more lifeless and stiff than most of the worst live action Godzilla movies. It also doesn't help that this was Godzilla's proper maiden voyage into anime, and it sank before it left the dock. As for redeeming factors, the only things I can say are "redeeming" were Godzilla and Ghidorah's entrances and themes and the voice actors trying their best with the terrible writing they were given.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I like them, mainly because sci fi is my favorite genre. That being said, I can't deny being extremely disappointed in MechaGodzilla and King Ghidorah.

I still hope for a Blu Ray release eventually.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The concept for MG City was so cool. Never been so disappointed by a movie lol.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't rewatch them. Some films have good ideas and concepts, but then uses them poorly. That is what the trilogy does. I wouldn't mind that flaw if Toho had played it less serious, but the serious tone and wasted opportunities make it forgettable.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gahbahgola

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:39 pm I wouldn't rewatch them. Some films have good ideas and concepts, but then uses them poorly. That is what the trilogy does. I wouldn't mind that flaw if Toho had played it less serious, but the serious tone and wasted opportunities make it forgettable.
The worst part? A serious tone could’ve been great with these concepts. The shoddy execution soiled it badly. I dug the IDEA of this trilogy, and that’s what makes it sting when I think back to how mediocre it ended up.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Resized Image

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:39 pm I wouldn't rewatch them. Some films have good ideas and concepts, but then uses them poorly. That is what the trilogy does. I wouldn't mind that flaw if Toho had played it less serious, but the serious tone and wasted opportunities make it forgettable.
Outside of Raids Again and G98, the trilogy is part of a few Godzilla movies I genuinely have trouble rewatching. I have to give myself breaks just to wake myself up and recover from what I just saw.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:08 pmGahbahgola
This makes more sense and is far deeper than anything in any of the three animated films or SP. :blackholealien:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:40 pm I understand it's hyperbolic internet verb usage, but I can't stand the word "hate". What did the Polygon Trilogy do to garnish personal vendettas against it?
At worst, it's the most self-contained and skippable entry in the series. It didn't introduce any new monsters (servum don't count), it didn't overstay its welcome (all three were released in a short peroid between 2017 and 2019) and it's not like Toho is rubbing the Polygon trilogy in your face. Unlike GFW, or even the Amercican Godzilla film it didn't horribly bomb or somehow alter what people think of Godzilla. Plus it's "free" if you have a netflix subscription. Many people on here probably didn't pay to see it. As a result, you can't even make the argument that it stole money from you. I think the big takeaway was like Chibi Godzilla, Toho was trying to reach a market they hadn't tapped yet: anime otakus. The types that like vengeful characters and "adult" ( :P ) animation that isn't geared towards Shounen audiences.

There's a lot I don't like about it, and I'll always prefer any of the Toho/MV outings to it, but at most its a depressing lukewarm cake. You eat it, and feel a little bloated and depressed after, but it's not like eating literal shit. There's still some redeeming factors, and interesting concepts.

I think hindsight is 20/20. I can't also think too badly of it after we later got Godzilla SP, and presumably someday we'll get a second season of that, or some other more traditional Godzilla anime. For me, they're just mediocre.
Sorry, but with all due respect, what on earth is the point you're trying to get it at....that "hating" something Godzilla-related is bad, even when said-Godzilla item is arguably.....um, "bad"? :?: :roll: Or that it doesn't deserve any disdain because it was easy to see on NETFLIX and didn't damage the image of Godzilla like GINO did?

Seriously, I'm not sure if you're just doing your usual "devil's advocate/contrarian" spiel here just for the sake of it whenever *anything* Godzilla-related is critiqued (something of a pattern I've noticed when it comes to *anything* even remotely critical towards the films / IDW comics / toys / etc.), but these 3 films were on a whole other level when it comes to abysmal / awful / atrocious / cringe / etc, and this sentiment is *universal* and not "20/20 hindsight". The fact that you're one of the few who may actually think they're "not that bad!" is all fine and dandy, but this mock outrage over any supposed "hyperbolic" hate these 3 films receive along with the "what did these films ever do to you?!" lecturing is utter nonsense. :-x

Gojira18 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:29 am I see this has been revived so here's my 2 cents on it.
As a whole, it sucks. Hard. Not a very innovative opinion but still. POTM was the definition of "squandered potential", and I was praying that the other 2 would pick up the slack. But then COTEOB pulled a TLJ and shat the bed, and TPE was just too little, too late with a horrible Ghidorah and just a really bad ending.
For years, I and other fans had always opined of what great potential a properly done Godzilla animated series/film could have (something akin to the fantastic Batman and Superman animated series of the 90s). Instead, we got this utter trash dropped on us, only to be followed up with even more junk in SP (won't go into that series' short-comings here....I know it has defenders, but it sucked almost has hard as these 3 films imho).

It's really sad when a few short seconds of the closing credits of SP are the closest we've ever gotten to an actual good Godzilla cartoon/animated series....*sigh* :|
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)