Lost projects: Godzilla vs Cthulhu

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Ryu
Samurai

Lost projects: Godzilla vs Cthulhu

Post by Ryu »

Well, apparently one of the ideas for that was going to be Gvs Spacegodzilla, it was supposed to be the VS of H. P. Lovecraft's most famous creation: Cthulhu.
I don't know anything about the project. But I know from an interview with Matt Frank, that IDW comic tried to do two projects with Cthulhu. The crossover in the 3rd arc of Infestantion from IDW comics. Another was a pitched idea by Matt Frank. But Toho says no to both ideas. The no-crossover policy at the time. Other reasons must have been the fact that Cthulhu and other works by Lovecraft are in the public domain. And it's hard to get copyright. And also be a nightmare in terms of budgets for special effects.
But the curiosity remains as to how the Idea could have been.
Fanart by Paul Hanley.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Lost projects: Godzilla vs Cthulhu

Post by edgaguirus »

Could they have copyrighted their design for the kaiju? I know the reason the Hammer version of Frankenstein looked the way it did was because Universal's design is under copyright.

Design issues aside, this would have made for a spectacular battle between the two kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.