Ultra-Q thread!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Ultra-Q thread!

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Ultra-Q, the show that started it all! Whether the original show, the movie, Dark Fantasy, or Neo Ultra-Q, share your thoughts!
Personally, as much as I love Ultraman, Ultra-Q is probably my favorite show out of the Ultra-pantheon.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Ultra-Q thread!

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I loved Neo Ultra Q. Laundry Day is just such a wonderful episode.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Nagira from the 1990 movie is such a cool monster design, too bad it hasn't resurfaced in any other series since.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The movie was produced by Tsuburaya Eizo (Akira Tsuburaya's then-independent company), not Tsuburaya Productions. TPC might not legally be able to use Nagira or the characters that originated in the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:08 pm The movie was produced by Tsuburaya Eizo (Akira Tsuburaya's then-independent company), not Tsuburaya Productions. TPC might not legally be able to use Nagira or the characters that originated in the film.
Sega was also the main sponsor for the film, and seeing how Bandai has a very large controlling share of the series and Tsupro now, I wouldn't be shocked if they explicitly want this particular entry buried.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Currently watching Ultra Q as a start to an overdue Ultraman binge. I'll have to say that Namegon's episode is the only one out of the 3 I've watched so far that I actually liked. Defeat Gomess! and Goro and Goro are just kinda there, they exist.

Added in 50 seconds:
It might help that I've already watched Gift from Space before, though. Well, only the latter half but it still counts in my book.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:18 pm Currently watching Ultra Q as a start to an overdue Ultraman binge. I'll have to say that Namegon's episode is the only one out of the 3 I've watched so far that I actually liked. Defeat Gomess! and Goro and Goro are just kinda there, they exist.
Yeah, neither of those episodes really satisfies me. Deafeat Gomess! in particular is very hollow. Goro and Goro at least attempts something a little deeper, but doesn't have anyplace to go with it in the end.

In my opinion, though, the show gets better pretty quickly, and improves enormously by about the half-way point.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Stopping for today. I'd rank the episodes I've watched so far like this.

1: Grow Up! Little Turtle
2: SOS Mt. Fuji
3: A Gift from Space
4: Peguila is Here!
5: Mammoth Flower
6: Goro and Goro
7: Defeat Gomess!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I agree the show gets better as it goes on, though it should be noted that some of the later episodes like Devil Child and Open Up! were actually among the first produced, before it was essentially forced by the network to be exclusively about giant monsters.

I think the biggest problem with Ultra Q is its overambition. I think it strives to tell some genuinely complex/engaging sci-fi stories, but is usually hampered by the 24-minute runtime. Challenge from the Year 2020 is a prime example of this. While I still enjoy the episode, there's a TON crammed in there, to the point where it becomes borderline incomprehensible without a few rewatches. The more typical "Kaiju" stories like Defeat Gomess!, Peguila is Here!, Terror of the Sweet Honey, Garadama and Fury of the South Seas are certainly a lot more straightforward, but are often quite bland. But there are still some great ones like Tokyo Ice Age, Garamon Strikes Back.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So, I'm about halfway through the series now. I find it kinda funny how this show's best episodes (so far, at least) are the sillier ones but Ultraman's best are the more serious episodes.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just finished Ultra Q. You guys were definitely right, it did get a lot more consistently good in the later episodes. In terms of series highlights, Grow Up! Little Turtle and Blazing Glory were both really good. M1 and Kanegon were also really fun. None of the episodes were honestly bad in my eyes but Defeat Gomess! is such a nothing episode that there really is no opposition for least favorite episode. Overall, the show never really reached the highs or lows of its successor. It's just kinda there, I guess.