Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Shin Godzilla
90%
Godzilla Earth from anime trilogy
1%
Godzilla SP
4%
Other design like the godzilla ride design
1%
Future design
3%

Total votes: 93

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

Post by Vakanai »

Moth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 pm Shin Ultraman is the face of the Reiwa Era now for Toho.
#UltramanSweep
I know that Toho is distributing/co-producing and all whatever else, but it still feels odd to call a character from another company the face of Reiwa for Toho...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 pm
Moth wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 pm Shin Ultraman is the face of the Reiwa Era now for Toho.
#UltramanSweep
Shin Goji would smash that Super hero, stack him and ship him back to Tsuburaya.
He does not fight for justice.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The sooner Toho can make a version of Godzilla that can dethrone that overrated, deep-fried giant walking tumour, the happier I’d be.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Bit late to the debate, but yeah, Shin is def the face right now. Ultima is a close second imo, maybe due to recency, but also when I think of the new era of Godzilla media, he is right behind Shin's gnarled maw.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Nah Ultima hasn't gotten enough exposure outside the series. If they decide to make Singular Point a multiple season series that could definitely change however.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Ultima's problem is that he borrows so much iconography from Shin that he is more of a reflection of how Shin defines this era than a contender to be the face of it himself.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:27 pm Ultima's problem is that he borrows so much iconography from Shin that he is more of a reflection of how Shin defines this era than a contender to be the face of it himself.
I know I said this, but Shin shouldn’t have to dictate everything going forward with Godzilla.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think the ride designs are maybe precursors of what we could see soon. As it stands though, Shin Godzilla is Godzilla for the Reiwa era.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:03 am I think the ride designs are maybe precursors of what we could see soon. As it stands though, Shin Godzilla is Godzilla for the Reiwa era.
I'd love to see the ride design in a film. It's pretty much perfect for Godzilla.

Although I prefer the Godzilla x Evangelion ride's design for Ghidorah. Just make him bigger, but otherwise he's golden.
(Yes that was a pun)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

I remember being told vociferously that the anime trilogy Godzilla was going to wipe Shin from people's memory.

But Shin Godzilla is obviously the defining G of this era, certainly for Japanese works and arguably even over Legendary Godzilla.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:14 pm I remember being told vociferously that the anime trilogy Godzilla was going to wipe Shin from people's memory.

But Shin Godzilla is obviously the defining G of this era, certainly for Japanese works and arguably even over Legendary Godzilla.
Legendary is the face of his era In the western world. You notice they always have him and Shin together.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:14 pm I remember being told vociferously that the anime trilogy Godzilla was going to wipe Shin from people's memory.

I'd say Legendary Goji and Shin Goji are more of a pair thing. One the face of Godzilla in the East, and West. Usually compared and even pitted against each other.

Aaaannnd someone beat me to that comparison, oh well lol
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maybe if my dreams of a Showa Anime come to fruition, we can have an (animated) 68 Goji become the face of another Era! Muahahahaha!
For Emperor and Empire!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm Maybe if my dreams of a Showa Anime come to fruition, we can have an (animated) 68 Goji become the face of another Era! Muahahahaha!
The media conquest of 68 Goji will be a glorious era for humankind and kaijukind alike.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:17 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm Maybe if my dreams of a Showa Anime come to fruition, we can have an (animated) 68 Goji become the face of another Era! Muahahahaha!
The media conquest of 68 Goji will be a glorious era for humankind and kaijukind alike.
I'd rather see a Heisei Goji anime, but to each their own.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:45 pm

Legendary is the face of his era In the western world. You notice they always have him and Shin together.
I wouldn't deny that. I love Legendary G anyway.

But in the Home of Godzilla, there's no question what iteration of the icon in the past... 10... 20...???!? years has revitalized his image. And it's not the Legendary Godzilla, for all his strengths.

edit: To be fair, neither of the anime Godzillas really lit the world on fire, either. Shin is #1, Legendary #2 for sure, with an edge in the west. Then the others.
Last edited by Jomei on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:45 pm

I wouldn't deny that. I love Legendary G anyway.

But in the Home of Godzilla, there's no question what iteration of the icon in the past... 10... 20...???!? years has revitalized his image. And it's not the Legendary Godzilla, for all his strengths.

edit: To be fair, neither of the anime Godzillas really lit the world on fire, either. Shin is #1, Legendary #2 for sure, with an edge in the west. Then the others.
In Japan I agree its Shin right now, I doubt any other Godzilla will get close to him unless Toho starts a new Reiwa series.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Shin, is this even a question?

Godzilla Earth is laughable, SP is a Shin derivate, etc
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Marciosss
Yojimbo

Post by Marciosss »

Trilogy and SP are co-productions with other studios, so Shin is only pure-Toho Godzilla

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

Sadly its Shin Godzilla since Toho has a statue of him at their corporate headquarters.