The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by KaijuX »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:38 am
Spoiler:
Imagine fooling someone into thinking you died of a heart attack, just to be a d*ck and kill the dude that clearly cared about you. Kubal sure is a hero alright! /s
You may jest, but actually one of the biggest influences I wanted to take with this was pitting that type of character against a full-fledged hero. Godzilla was the previous entry's villain; and while Kubal is questionably dubious, you have reason to root for him against an antagonistic Godzilla. But with Zone Fighter, it's very much taking that character and putting him up against someone who opposes his ideology. While not the newest idea in the book, it was more than fun to play around with--and I hope Greyshot and I can take it even further beyond!
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:03 am Stellar match. Loving this overarching story more and more as it develops, and this entry brought both many revelations and excellent moments in itself. Character stuff was great, as was the action. Loved Zone Fighter here, both in terms of Hikaru’s character and how he was depicted in the fight.
Spoiler:
Goddamn this match was grim. Loved it, lol. Kubal continues to be a damn intimidating and well written villain. Looking forward to seeing what’s happened with Zilla Junior in this new world. Also, is that a Mecha-King Ghidorah tease I spot, with Heisei Ghidorah living with his center head gone? Excited to see where that goes.
Also, that banner, goddamn. Awesome stuff.
shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:06 am The banner is insane. Kudos to Andrew.
Thank you both on the banner! That one was a ton of fun to make; and while I think some of KWC staff know IIRC, the banner is a cheeky reference. Can you guess what it is? Will reveal in this month's KWCC livestream, which will be this Thursday. And massive props to Nagoda for the Colossal Titan and Zone Fighter; that lad is making his own cauldron of black magic. He got 3D models and posed them, then (at a later point) re-textured the Colossal Titan with the movie stuff. It's nuts!
Spoiler:
But yeah, I think you're looking at the right spot... More where that came from. ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KaijuX wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm Thank you both on the banner! That one was a ton of fun to make; and while I think some of KWC staff know IIRC, the banner is a cheeky reference. Can you guess what it is? Will reveal in this month's KWCC livestream, which will be this Thursday. And massive props to Nagoda for the Colossal Titan and Zone Fighter; that lad is making his own cauldron of black magic. He got 3D models and posed them, then (at a later point) re-textured the Colossal Titan with the movie stuff. It's nuts!
Ok, that explains it. I was like where did he possibly find those renders? Awesome job.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Finally got around to finishing the match. This match was a lot more story than fighting.

And I loved the ever loving shit out of it. Greyshot and KaijuX seriously outdid themselves with this match; while the fight in of itself was good, I actually found myself more invested in the story itself. Weirdly, I enjoyed it more when the human stuff was happening than when the fighting was happening.
Spoiler:
And what a dick move on Kubal’s part! To not only maim Heisei Ghidorah right after he peacefully retired from the KWC, but literally kill himself only to come back to life and brutally kill Zone Fighter and let a Titan eat his corpse!

What an ass! :lol:
5/5. Spectacular match, one of if not the best of the year so far. And I’m not even an Attack on Titan fan.
Spoiler:
Considering how much our main protagonists are tinkering with the multiverse, I don’t know which I should be more afraid of:

Them eventually unleashing Godzilla Ultima (I caught that Alapu Upala reference in the Goro death scene, by the way)?

Or them eventually tampering with the multiverse so much that the forces of Time and Space themselves intervene! 🌌🦆🦆
Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
Side question: does this match take place parallel to Match 275?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:20 pm Side question: does this match take place parallel to Match 275?
Yes! This is on the other side of that portal--most of the match is set in the AOT world's past tho, but it is pretty much perpendicular to that. :) Just funny happenstance that it turned out to be 375.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

KaijuX wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:30 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:20 pm Side question: does this match take place parallel to Match 275?
Yes! This is on the other side of that portal--most of the match is set in the AOT world's past tho, but it is pretty much perpendicular to that. :) Just funny happenstance that it turned out to be 375.
Spoiler:
Man. That's some seriously tough luck for King Ghidorah. One universe, he's a mutant retiree that got maimed, beheaded and chucked into the sea by a bunch of naked people with no nuts; in another he's a cosmic galaxy killer at the top of his game literally sucking off Godzilla.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spoiler:
Well, this match came early!

I’m not entirely sure what to think of this match. The premise was very creative, but the execution was…a little scattered. It feels confusing that the Guardians would turn on Godzilla just because a few nukes made him go supercharged, especially given that killing him wouldn’t solve anything. He would still explode regardless if that’s what they were afraid of.

Plus, would his explosion even destroy the planet?

Also, Shuzo’s existence was kind of pointless. All he does is show up and watch Scylla wake up before just leaving, never to come back.

And the ending felt somewhat underwhelming. Legendary Godzilla’s death should’ve been this huge deal, and instead it’s more or less passed off as a quick afterthought. Mana beam, he’s dead, the other Kaiju start waking up and Gamera flies off.

And the Gyaos, too, felt kind of pointless just the same as Shuzo. They were just…there. They didn’t add or change any stakes to the battle, they just existed for the other Kaiju to beat up before resuming their fight again.

The fight itself was gnarly, and the use of Blue Burning Godzilla was awesome, but the other aspects of the match didn’t feel as fulfilling.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Read this match on DA a while ago. Much like Shin i have some mixed feelings.
Spoiler:
On one hand, there's nothing exactly wrong with it. The concept is pretty cool, and the idea of MV Mothra being forced to turn on her former friend makes for a saddening ideal. On the other hand.. IDK, what the heck was the point of that Dr. Shuzo guy? He was just kinda there for one scene and then he just went ahead and disappeared. Even Battra felt kinda uneeded. Just felt like he was acting as backup.
Seeing Behemoth return is cool though!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Nagoda
Futurian

Post by Nagoda »

For context to anyone confused about Dr. Shuzo, this takes place after the climax of the movie Virus, where a man made virus called MM-88 wipes out everything alive that isn’t in an Arctic cold zone by assimilating every other virus and symptom into itself like the game Plague Inc. The only survivors of the human race are a bunch of Antarctic bases from multiple countries and a single submarine crew. The climax is sending Shuzo and another guy out with an experimental Vaccine to MM-88 to try to stop the American’s Nuclear Response Defense System from activating due to an earthquake, which in turn would activate the Russian Nuclear Arsenal which had the Arctic Bases as targets. I haven’t finished the match yet, but I’m assuming he doesn’t show up again because he’s the only human left on the Americas and he’s got some traveling to do in a post apocalypse on foot.
A reminder to watch Chouseishin Gransazers.
_______
A semi-talented Chibi who is always tired.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I feel this match runs into the pitfall of assuming it’s readers have already watched all the material involved, so it rests itself upon that a bit too much. It explains enough to not be lost if you haven’t seen 1980’s Virus/Day of Resurrection (a movie I would recommend everyone watch at least once, as it artistically it is a wonderful film), but if you haven’t seen it the finer details will elude you. Not an uncommon pitfall in crossover fanfiction, but certainly one to look out for for all future matches involving properties outside the KWC’s typical wheelhouse. And yes, it’s connection that said film is why this one’s out so early, anniversary match.

As for the match itself, I would say it’s still solid despite the aforementioned issue, it has intense action and emotional moments that work well. Unique usage of Legendary Godzilla.
Spoiler:
I do have a criticism with the Gyaos, they do feel a tad tacked on. Their action is cool, but they just feel like a threat to pad out the run time.
And also, goddamn that banner. Good shit.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Thanks for the early birthday present, even if it wasn't intentional. :P

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Nagoda wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:06 am For context to anyone confused about Dr. Shuzo, this takes place after the climax of the movie Virus, where a man made virus called MM-88 wipes out everything alive that isn’t in an Arctic cold zone by assimilating every other virus and symptom into itself like the game Plague Inc. The only survivors of the human race are a bunch of Antarctic bases from multiple countries and a single submarine crew. The climax is sending Shuzo and another guy out with an experimental Vaccine to MM-88 to try to stop the American’s Nuclear Response Defense System from activating due to an earthquake, which in turn would activate the Russian Nuclear Arsenal which had the Arctic Bases as targets. I haven’t finished the match yet, but I’m assuming he doesn’t show up again because he’s the only human left on the Americas and he’s got some traveling to do in a post apocalypse on foot.
Is that a Toho film?

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:40 am Is that a Toho film?
Yes, distributed to be exact.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Dunkeeni
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dunkeeni »

While most of the niche problems with the match have already been discussed, this is still a very solid match. It's nice to see Godzilla be the "antagonist" for once instead of only being a defender, and the action and characterization are all handled very well. Really the only complaint I have is, like others have said, the Gyaos. They just seem kinda shoehorned in for another antagonist for the heroes, but minor gripes aside, still a good match all around.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Even if I do prefer a heroic one, Legendary Goji makes for an effective villain and the drama of Mothra having to battle a brother in arms does carry this story. I thought it was a fun read, even if certain Kaiju felt "extraneous" felt they added to the melee just from a chaos perspective.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Okay, so question about the mid-year poll..
Spoiler:
I find it rather odd that apparently we're discussing separating the hybridized kaiju. I mean, for Gigan I get it; Showa and Millennium Gigan aren't that much alike but.. Manda, Ebirah and King Caesar?What's up with that? Though I will say, I wouldn't mind if we hybridized Millennium and Showa Mothra since.. well, aren't they the same character anyway?

But.. yeah, even if I want some Shin Ultraman reps, Shin himself really doesn't need to be in the K.W.C. He's no different from the original beyond his lack of color timer and general OPness, but at the same time, the backstory the Ultra's have from SU makes him not work as a hybrid either because that part is WAY different from what we know. But I will happily take Neronga and Mephiles. :P And Gudon if he ever gets in!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:07 am Okay, so question about the mid-year poll..
Spoiler:
I find it rather odd that apparently we're discussing separating the hybridized kaiju. I mean, for Gigan I get it; Showa and Millennium Gigan aren't that much alike but.. Manda, Ebirah and King Caesar?What's up with that? Though I will say, I wouldn't mind if we hybridized Millennium and Showa Mothra since.. well, aren't they the same character anyway?

But.. yeah, even if I want some Shin Ultraman reps, Shin himself really doesn't need to be in the K.W.C. He's no different from the original beyond his lack of color timer and general OPness, but at the same time, the backstory the Ultra's have from SU makes him not work as a hybrid either because that part is WAY different from what we know. But I will happily take Neronga and Mephiles. :P And Gudon if he ever gets in!
Spoiler:
Yeah I do think this is a case by case thing with me. Gigan for example it always felt odd how they fused the two together despite neither story really working next to the other and how different each one fights. Showa/Millennium Mothra I've argued is literally the same character so fusing them makes sense to me, while others like the FW Manda, Ebirah and Caesar work better as skins to the Showa Kaiju given their limited screen presence.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Spoiler:
I'm fine with changing status quo, but not in letting go, and I see no reason to separate any of the kaiju currently hybridized, especially the likes of Manda, Caesar, and Ebirah. If we could pick more than one kaiju to be hybridized, though, I would definitely be up for Baragon, Anguirus, and Mothra getting that treatment, especially Baragon since we'd get back the Showa boi. Outside of that I'd absolutely be up for some Shin Ultraman reps.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

CommanderPhoenix
Monarch Researcher

Post by CommanderPhoenix »

Spoiler:
definitely a fan of splitting Gigan, solely because I wanna see two Gigans on the roster, and we're probably not getting the one from the Netflix Anime spinoff novels. As for hybridization, Anguirus, Mothra, and Baragon all seem like good picks. There's a joke I wanna make about Shin Ultraman reps but I dont know if it's allowed yet.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

Spoiler:
I entirely understand any concerns, but I felt like I wanted to gauge everything and be as far-reaching as possible--even if the idea of splitting apart the likes of King Caesar or Manda are more than likely not going to happen. Because it's not just about what's being said, but also what's being unsaid that can be just as important when making decisions. And even keep in mind that being top-voted doesn't guarantee it'll happen; I'm just trying to see what everyone thinks on the matter and how they feel about it.

Pair of kings.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

And back...ish.

I've had covid the past 10 days and finally feeling like my former self. I'll give my feedback on missed KWCs in a bit but first, lets dive into the survey as i didnt influence any of these questions.

First up, hybrids. Don't see the any reason to split the FW kaiju up. Don't think they're strong enough or original enough which is why we fused them originally. Meanwhile, Baragon M is really an upgraded showa. And while fusing them isn't too difficult, might be more trouble than it's worth like unfusing the Gigans. Sure they could be separate, but since we have canon material showing Showa being upgraded into his later incarnation, it may actually limit the character more than it benefits. Also, fixing past matches to reflect the change would be a headache and a half for Josh. The interesting one is really Mothra M and Showa which makes sense thematically and canon-wise. All for that change!

As for Shin Ultraman, adding reps makes sense (Just maybe not everyone). As for hybridization, while they share powers, I've read plenty to support Shin being his own separate being from Showa. No expert with Ultraman, but to me it seems like fusing Heisei and Showa Ghidorah. Sure, same powers and appearance but they have different origins. I'm sure if people can write Shin Godzillla X Shin Ultraman, they for sure will.

As for the additions, no one really caught my eye but I'll throw a vote Mt. Lady's way to appease Ditto and can't argue with the Gotengo or Super-X :lol:

Themes are cool. Up for any more banners.

Lastly, Garuda. Egh.... Him being his own combatant isn't too crazy, but it's track record is really lacking compared to the Gotengo or Super-Xs. Or if it was fused with Mechagodzilla, having a Mechagodzilla match where its just Garuda and it wins feels like a Kiryu match where we follow a Shirasagi kill a monster without the mech. Sure, it can be done but should it? Having Garuda stay as an assist I think balances that tightrope with its only limitation being it can't have the final kill while detached.

I think that covers everything but looking forward to the new themed month. :huge:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon