Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Is a Gamera Reboot(Japanese or US) inevitable?

Post by edgaguirus »

Legendary is more likely to dip into the Toho catalogue of kaiju before trying an outing with Gamera. If an American film was done, it would be another studio that wanted to put out a kaiju film while the market for them is hot. It's not likely to happen, however.

What might interest an American studio is if Japan made an anime series featuring Gamera, and that anime became popular on streaming platforms. They might try it them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:06 pm Legendary is more likely to dip into the Toho catalogue of kaiju before trying an outing with Gamera. If an American film was done, it would be another studio that wanted to put out a kaiju film while the market for them is hot. It's not likely to happen, however.

What might interest an American studio is if Japan made an anime series featuring Gamera, and that anime became popular on streaming platforms. They might try it them.
I would love a Gamera anime. Just as long as it doesn't turn out like Godzilla's outings in the medium so far.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:39 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:06 pm Legendary is more likely to dip into the Toho catalogue of kaiju before trying an outing with Gamera. If an American film was done, it would be another studio that wanted to put out a kaiju film while the market for them is hot. It's not likely to happen, however.

I would love a Gamera anime. Just as long as it doesn't turn out like Godzilla's outings in the medium so far.
No kididng, I never thought Godzilla+Anime would end up with some of the most....boring and tedious iterations of the character.

How these Kaiju Anime aren't being made with more of a Shonen-style mentality is beyond me. Functional plot, amazing musical score, awesome monsters, epic battles, top tier animation, a moderate amount of obligatory fan-service...case closed.

Epic beam locks, super moves, transformations and power ups....COME ON JAPAN get it together.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Not gonna lie I'd rather have bold experiments like the Earth trilogy and SP (which wholeheartedly slaps) than shonen anime #3756483995 which happens to feature Godzilla.
The concept of the Earth trilogy wasn't the problem, it was the execution. Pacific Rim had a super interesting backstory but thankfully the film itself is pretty great. Earth trilogy was like explaining the life story of Teddy Roosevelt in a prologue and then your movie is just about him going to get groceries and mowing his lawn. At least Planet Eater was pretty cool.
And SP? It was amazing to see a Godzilla anime that reveled in the Showa era and also wasn't afraid to not dumb itself down. Fun characters too.
I got enough fan service in the closing credits to SP. :lol:
There wasn't a thing about the reveal of Ultima that was boring to me. I've watched the show three or four times and I get goosebumps every time the Godzilla March with the chorus hits.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Whether a Gamera anime or a western cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky (Especially done in the Primal animation and approach) I'm down for.

Taking cues from the Heisei Gamera Trilogy and retaining the dark tone and brutally the trilogy had. :D
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.