Colorized re-releases?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Colorized re-releases?

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm Wait. I may have just smoked up, but I swear I just read that your source is saying G'54 was released in color in Japan, but made B&W in America? Or the Japanese one was made black and white because the American scenes were accidently filmed in B&W?
Yeah, the source was claiming that the Japanese release was in color, the American scenes were accidentally shot in black and white, and so the rest of the film was converted to black and white for American release...

How many reels of the wrong film stock would have to have been ordered, and then loaded into magazines, for that to have occurred?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

eabaker wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:33 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm Wait. I may have just smoked up, but I swear I just read that your source is saying G'54 was released in color in Japan, but made B&W in America? Or the Japanese one was made black and white because the American scenes were accidently filmed in B&W?
Yeah, the source was claiming that the Japanese release was in color, the American scenes were accidentally shot in black and white, and so the rest of the film was converted to black and white for American release...

How many reels of the wrong film stock would have to have been ordered, and then loaded into magazines, for that to have occurred?
... And someone here... On TK, a Godzilla-based message board... Believed it?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm
goji1986 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:54 pm
Originally released in 1954 and in color, scenes of Raymond Burr looking up, reacting, etc. were added for American release two years later but were accidentally shot in black and white. So the entire U.S. version had to be released this way, although actually it does add to the atmosphere and serves to make the film that much more nightmarish.
https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0
I don't know what that was all about, I don't want to know what that was all about; I'm only telling you guys and gals what was in the book when I read it. Don't blame me, blame the two authors who wrote it in the first place, and if you don't believe me, go out and find a copy of the exact same edition of the book and see for yourselves. It's all right there in black and white. And believe me when I say I have no idea where they got that information from at all. In short, please don't kill the messenger this time.
I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant to be a direct jab at you. It is in fact a jab at the message itself!! My apologies for not being clearer.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:34 pm

No, as far as I can tell, nobody here believed it. :lol:
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:45 pm

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:35 pm ^Fun fact : The creative team on G54 opted to film the movie in color, but chose against it not because they lacked the funds, but rather it hid the technological imperfections better.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

goji1986 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:42 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:58 pm
goji1986 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:54 pm

https://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0
I don't know what that was all about, I don't want to know what that was all about; I'm only telling you guys and gals what was in the book when I read it. Don't blame me, blame the two authors who wrote it in the first place, and if you don't believe me, go out and find a copy of the exact same edition of the book and see for yourselves. It's all right there in black and white. And believe me when I say I have no idea where they got that information from at all. In short, please don't kill the messenger this time.
I’m sorry, that wasn’t meant to be a direct jab at you. It is in fact a jab at the message itself!! My apologies for not being clearer.
Apology accepted, thanks.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SpaceG92 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:13 pm
eabaker wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:45 pm

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:35 pm ^Fun fact : The creative team on G54 opted to film the movie in color, but chose against it not because they lacked the funds, but rather it hid the technological imperfections better.
Yeah, those are two different claims. One is saying that the movie was filmed in color; the other is saying (albeit with a grammatical error that badly obfuscates the meaning) that they considered filming in color, but ultimately chose not to for SFX reasons.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Well, they did colorize the original Ultra Q series, and released them on Blu-ray in Japan. If anyone here has seen them, how are they?
Friends don't lie.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

John Pannozzi wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:26 pm Well, they did colorize the original Ultra Q series, and released them on Blu-ray in Japan. If anyone here has seen them, how are they?
Pretty good.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:43 am
John Pannozzi wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:26 pm Well, they did colorize the original Ultra Q series, and released them on Blu-ray in Japan. If anyone here has seen them, how are they?
Pretty good.
So if Toho ever were to colorize their B&W tokusatsu films, maybe they could get the guys who colorized Ultra Q.

How many of Toho's tokusatsu films were in black-and-white?

By my count there's:

Godzilla (1954), plus its American reedit
Godzilla Raids Again
Half-Human (but that film is under a self-imposed ban)
Varan
Plus the Invisible Man and any other films I may have forgotten.
Friends don't lie.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

John Pannozzi wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:47 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:43 am
Pretty good.
So if Toho ever were to colorize their B&W tokusatsu films, maybe they could get the guys who colorized Ultra Q.

How many of Toho's tokusatsu films were in black-and-white?

By my count there's:

Godzilla (1954), plus its American reedit
Godzilla Raids Again
Half-Human (but that film is under a self-imposed ban)
Varan
Plus the Invisible Man and any other films I may have forgotten.
As long as any colorized release of a film also comes with the original release in B&W at the best possible quality, I don't see anything wrong with it. All it does is give you another means to watch it and another tool to get those younger kids to give it a chance if they're undeniably against old, B&W films (yes, people like that exist). I would absolutely love to have 54, GRA and Varan colorized.

Quote of the Year:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Someone should trace over the original footage and do animated re-colorings as a fan project.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

As long as the originals are always preserved and presented...I'm all for going weird and wild with "re-versions"

Give every film a Godzilla 2000 style "re-dub, trim down, enhance audio" type of remaster, colorize the old films, use modern techniques to enhance the image and sound, make adjustments to effects work. Colorize them, re-cut them, re-dub them, whatever they feel like throwing out there, as long as the original is there too.

For me, if Toho wants to go the whole "Special edition" route then I'm all for it. Just make sure the originals always get preserved and presented. I have no reservations about watching other "revamped" or altered versions of any films. Just don't replace the original. At worst they are interesting experiments that further reflects attention back onto the originals...at best they are a fun alternative.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."