The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by miguelnuva »

Legendary could make a shape shifting monster that absorbs DnA but it can't be called Barubaroi.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Dyrakro wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am
Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm
Dyrakro wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm But aside of Godzilla and Kong there is not a single Titan that the GA is familiar with. The only people actually caring for the monsters more than simply the blockbuster destruction are the users here.
That's why you could re-introduce them to modern audiences. Altered/different backstories/designs etc.
Indeed, the problem is that Legendary surely won't take the risk of finding out who the next big IP among those Titans could be. Mainly because of multiple reasons:
-monster movies are still a niche thing, they will need to rely on popular actors to get the GA
-aside of us fans, most people won't even realise this movie is part of the G or K movies we in the last years, unless explicite connections were made throughout the movie (it's similar to how quite a lot of people just walk into any kind of superhero movie with the assumption it is connected to the MCU (even if it is Batman) or others who just like superhero movies but don't really know and care about it being connected to other movies)
-unlike G or K, the new monster has 0 history in pop-culture. It's like how Cloverfield was intended to become a new big American monster IP, aside of the fans barely anyone cares for it and views it as an entertaining monster movie

So to actually establish a new Titan as a character, Legendary will have to take risks just how Marvel did when the MCU started. Not saying it couldn't work but I don't really see the spirit among the producers to actually take the risk. After all they are not us fans and when facing uncertainty, they will just stick to the familiar brands that already worked
Or they could do the opposite and take a shot. No one knows what's going on so we'll have to wait and see.

It doesn't matter if the "GA" recognizes the monsters or not because again (although familiarity can help), they can always be re-introduced-especially with the marketing campaign that happens with the more obscure characters to get everyone familiar before the film/tv show launches. It's not like if no one recognizes them that the movie/tv show is done and over and it won't make any money because no one recognizes the monster that Godzilla fights. The brand itself is still growing with merch everywhere with companies Playmates for example going after the lesser known monsters like Gorosaurus for toys which is more visibility for the lesser known. All in all, it depends on what Legendary includes with these new shows/future movie.

I do think Cloverfield could have been bigger but they were taking unrelated films and trying to reshoot and edit them to be connected in the universe. Not the best way to build a brand.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chris55 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:58 pm
Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm

That's why you could re-introduce them to modern audiences. Altered/different backstories/designs etc.
Indeed, the problem is that Legendary surely won't take the risk of finding out who the next big IP among those Titans could be. Mainly because of multiple reasons:
-monster movies are still a niche thing, they will need to rely on popular actors to get the GA
-aside of us fans, most people won't even realise this movie is part of the G or K movies we in the last years, unless explicite connections were made throughout the movie (it's similar to how quite a lot of people just walk into any kind of superhero movie with the assumption it is connected to the MCU (even if it is Batman) or others who just like superhero movies but don't really know and care about it being connected to other movies)
-unlike G or K, the new monster has 0 history in pop-culture. It's like how Cloverfield was intended to become a new big American monster IP, aside of the fans barely anyone cares for it and views it as an entertaining monster movie

So to actually establish a new Titan as a character, Legendary will have to take risks just how Marvel did when the MCU started. Not saying it couldn't work but I don't really see the spirit among the producers to actually take the risk. After all they are not us fans and when facing uncertainty, they will just stick to the familiar brands that already worked
Or they could do the opposite and take a shot. No one knows what's going on so we'll have to wait and see.

It doesn't matter if the "GA" recognizes the monsters or not because again (although familiarity can help), they can always be re-introduced-especially with the marketing campaign that happens with the more obscure characters to get everyone familiar before the film/tv show launches. It's not like if no one recognizes them that the movie/tv show is done and over and it won't make any money because no one recognizes the monster that Godzilla fights. The brand itself is still growing with merch everywhere with companies Playmates for example going after the lesser known monsters like Gorosaurus for toys which is more visibility for the lesser known. All in all, it depends on what Legendary includes with these new shows/future movie.

I do think Cloverfield could have been bigger but they were taking unrelated films and trying to reshoot and edit them to be connected in the universe. Not the best way to build a brand.
Godzilla and Kong are the ones who sell the movie and put the butts in seats. The enemy monster just needs to be memorable.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:46 pm Legendary could make a shape shifting monster that absorbs DnA but it can't be called Barubaroi.
Fair enough.

That said if Destoroyah isn't used. This would be the next best option since as mentioned the oxygen destroyer shouldn't go to waste.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Besides, didn't Toho rename Barubaroi because apparently his name was.. kinda offensive? (Forget what the exact details are) Legendary would probably wanna avoid that lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:21 pm
Chris55 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:58 pm

Godzilla and Kong are the ones who sell the movie and put the butts in seats. The enemy monster just needs to be memorable.
Oh yeah for sure. They're the most recognizable. I'm hoping the Kong anime has some memorable creatures. I'd like to see that Sker Buffalo again.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legendary Sells Minority Stake To Apollo For $760M, Regains Control As Wanda Pares Position
https://deadline.com/2022/01/legendary- ... 234923239/
Under the deal, Legendary management will regain operational, strategic and creative control of the company. Chinese giant Dailan Wanda will reduce its ownership position while remaining majority shareholder.
The minority investment comes after Legendary had its most profitable year to date in 2021, the company said in announcing the transaction. It is ramping up production on a number of new film and TV projects, in the U.S. and globally.

Legendary was founded in 2004 by billionaire Thomas Tull, who left the company in 2017 after selling control of the firm to Wanda.

Films associated with Legendary have brought in $18 billion in global box office. Key recent titles include Godzilla vs. Kong, Dune and Enola Holmes and the upcoming Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Fresh. On the TV side, Legendary titles have included Lost in Space and Carnival Row, with upcoming series including Paper Girls and Lightyears. Legendary has comic book, VR, licensing and merchandising divisions.
The MonsterVerse isn't going anywhere.
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I just figured it out. Mothra and Rodan can get Tv series spin off if this first show works. Then you can have solo adventures with risking them on the big screen.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 pm I just figured it out. Mothra and Rodan can get Tv series spin off if this first show works. Then you can have solo adventures with risking them on the big screen.
That's not gonna happen.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

MV fanboys are basically the Snyderverse bros of the kaiju fandom.

And I say that as someone who loves the Monsterverse but the diehards live in an alternate reality.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:34 pm MV fanboys are basically the Snyderverse bros of the kaiju fandom.

And I say that as someone who loves the Monsterverse but the diehards live in an alternate reality.
You're comparing fans who want new spinoff projects to a rabid group of lunatics that harass, threaten, badger and spam social media accounts on a daily basis?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:24 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:18 pm I just figured it out. Mothra and Rodan can get Tv series spin off if this first show works. Then you can have solo adventures with risking them on the big screen.
That's not gonna happen.
It could if the Apple tv show is a success and Legendary still has the rights. People told me I was crazy for wondering if Godzilla would fight Kong again in 2013 due to the American movie and look where we're at now. A streaming series is much safer than a movie that would likely never happen.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:52 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:34 pm MV fanboys are basically the Snyderverse bros of the kaiju fandom.

You're comparing fans who want new spinoff projects to a rabid group of lunatics that harass, threaten, badger and spam social media accounts on a daily basis?
You turn blind eyes to the blatant disrespect said "lunatics", receive by everyone and their grandmothers or? Regardless, irrelevant to the conversation.

Toxic fans exist in every fandom.

Added in 33 seconds:

You seem very jaded and burnt by this fandom, as far as your utter disregard for fact and logic in your recent comments are concerned.

The Monsterverse is continuing and #RestoreTheSnyderverse.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:52 pm

You turn blind eyes to the blatant disrespect said "lunatics", receive by everyone and their grandmothers or? Regardless, irrelevant to the conversation.

Toxic fans exist in every fandom.

Added in 33 seconds:

You seem very jaded and burnt by this fandom, as far as your utter disregard for fact and logic in your recent comments are concerned.

The Monsterverse is continuing and #RestoreTheSnyderverse.
Next time they shine your light in the sky, don't go to it. The Snyderverse is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy.

The DCEU and the ST could really compare notes.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

ST?

And look guys. I’m not super jaded across the board. I’ll say it again for the folks in the back….the Monsterverse is my preferred Godzilla. I love all of the films damned near equally which seems to be odd as of late since people seem to fall into either GKOTM or GvK camps.

What I do and am raging about is a certain subset of fans who, like Snyder verse fans, are just so bullish on their fandom that they extrapolate the very best case scenarios out of every glimmer of news. It goes beyond optimism into something else entirely. These fans are quick to try and silence any and all voices of reason or moderation as they doggedly promote the MV as pinnacle KINO (this more applies to certain people on Twitter).

It’s frustrating. And I react perhaps a bit too strongly and can be a bit dickish at times. I apologize.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:39 am ST?

And look guys. I’m not super jaded across the board. I’ll say it again for the folks in the back….the Monsterverse is my preferred Godzilla. I love all of the films damned near equally which seems to be odd as of late since people seem to fall into either GKOTM or GvK camps.

What I do and am raging about is a certain subset of fans who, like Snyder verse fans, are just so bullish on their fandom that they extrapolate the very best case scenarios out of every glimmer of news. It goes beyond optimism into something else entirely. These fans are quick to try and silence any and all voices of reason or moderation as they doggedly promote the MV as pinnacle KINO (this more applies to certain people on Twitter).

It’s frustrating. And I react perhaps a bit too strongly and can be a bit dickish at times. I apologize.
This is a quality post. While I don't share the same frustration, I do hear it. There's an unrealistic expectation that the MV will develop into the MCU. Or rather, a desire.

And that's all it is. People wanting the news to indicate a continued expansive universe out of fear of the franchise dying.

Don't sweat it too much man.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Appreciate it man.

And while I’m excited about a continued MV, I also realize that all great things must end. I don’t want this series of films/tv shows to over stay it’s welcome.

I’m a big Gamera fan as well and I absolutely love that the trilogy ended the way it did.

I guess we will see what the future has in store. But of the announced projects, everything sounds pitch perfect to me. The team behind the Kong anime is proven and it’s a great idea at the core of the show. I’m similarly curious to see what they’ll do with a post G 2014 world, set in Japan for this other show. And if it ever materializes….a Kong film set in the Hollow Earth where he has a son would make for a great epilogue to GvK.

If this is all we ever get from the MV it’ll be enough for me.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ST is the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Honestly I could see a Mothra miniseries or movie. She’s not quiet as famous as Godzilla and King Kong themselves, but she’s certainly up there, and she got a lot of incredible reception from KotM.

There’s also a lot you could do creatively with the character to make it stand out from other MV entries. Make it a fantasy period piece set in ancient China or Polynesia. Cast some strong female leads to capitalize on Mothra’s popularity with women. You could introduce themes on colonialism, or on religion, or on environmentalism or capitalism. The character and lore is so unique and just begging to be explored.

You wanna risk stepping away from Godzilla and Kong? Mothra’s your best bet, hands down.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I agree…

I’m a huge Monsterverse stan who will forever cherish G14 and KotM as some of the best movies I’ve ever seen despite the harsh criticism they get, but a lot of the ideas that other fans have for future projects are really dumb

My sig says it all
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated