Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by SpaceG92 »

The Ghidorah is a nice step up. I appreciate the more faithful sculpted heads - now if only we can work on that scale D: A roaring or "Larger Scale" they did with the Battle Roars would scale nicely :3. Not complaining though, he's on my list to get for sure.

The REAL stand out option besides the Shin resculpt is the Terrestris. Hot damn that came out of left field like a sack of bricks. I love Terrestris, and this one reminds me of NECA's mold quality shift from like Burning Godzilla to something like KingGoji or SOSGoji. It's too early to tell if the final product will look like that or not but that is a very promising sculpt. Props to Playmates on that one - also im sure those will be the final production colors which is nice. Bright, eye popping. Terrestris will stand out on the shelf for sure.

Also give the guy a raise whoever came up with the new box art designs. Seriously, box art is underappreciated and whoever did these did well. Whoever has connections to Playmates, send the word lol

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Too be fair, I also quite liked the older Playmates box art. It gave me Bandai Creations flashbacks.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm Too be fair, I also quite liked the older Playmates box art. It gave me Bandai Creations flashbacks.
I feel its a shift on their end from "Toy" to "Collectors" mentality. I'm sure word got back who's funneling them money :P Though not always the case, i've seen "Toy" mentality figures come into boxes I'd put next to my original Monster Arts boxes. You know the ones - god I miss those. Along with the ORIGINAL Ultra Act "star burst" style boxes.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Some new observations from Starestream on Tumblr. Not sure how he made any of this out, but:
Update: Closer inspection, G14 is a new mold, and is labeled as “City of Destruction” Godzilla. I guess the orange parts are supposed to be burning buildings reflecting off of his body.

The Godzilla and Kong on the bottom are labeled as “Ocean Battle” varaints and are glossy.
I was wondering why those Godzilla and Kong figures were down there, especially since it looks like both were already on the top shelf.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 pm Ghidorah's height is correct compared to the 6 inch playmates Godzilla.
Not quite, he's quite a few inches too short, just like all the others (save for the SHMA, which had its own issues).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:43 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 pm Ghidorah's height is correct compared to the 6 inch playmates Godzilla.
Not quite, he's quite a few inches too short, just like all the others (save for the SHMA, which had its own issues).

Ghidroah is bigger in that scene then he usually was over Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Very odd choices once again. I am not into the “evolving phases” of Godzilla that Toho has been stuck on recently. I mean it’s a decent looking figure but it is certainly nothing I would have ever had on my wish list. I like the redesigned boxes, but I am still amazed (just as I was for Bandai Creation) that they have not provided us a repainted “Burning Godzilla” that we could have as just a normal Heisei Godzilla. I don’t get why they so actively avoid offering (arguably) the most commercially loved/recognizable version of Godzilla?! Super weird.

On the Monsterverse side of things, really the only things I can say is that I hope they eventually offer MUTOs from the first movie. Also, I hope this will give me another opportunity to get a Warbat. I skipped on getting him the couple times I saw him because I was certain that the line would be heading for the Clearance aisle before long and I could just get him then. But now I haven’t seen him in a store since August.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:00 pm

It's true IMO that the Monsterverse CGI plays fast and loose with size when it wants to. But in virtually every incarnation of King Ghidorah, Godzilla's shoulders should be roughly as high as the base of Ghidorah's three necks, and in that G:KOTM scene Ghidorah is standing erect and making itself appear as big as possible, but that only proves my point. The new Playmates KG figure is not in the same scale as their Godzilla figures.
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

G1985 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:00 pm

It's true IMO that the Monsterverse CGI plays fast and loose with size when it wants to. But in virtually every incarnation of King Ghidorah, Godzilla's shoulders should be roughly as high as the base of Ghidorah's three necks, and in that G:KOTM scene Ghidorah is standing erect and making itself appear as big as possible, but that only proves my point. The new Playmates KG figure is not in the same scale as their Godzilla figures.
That is nothing new. Ghidorah made smaller to conserve cost and material has been a thing since the 1980's. He (along with Biollante) are almost ALWAYS out of scale on toy shelves.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

The movie-INaccurate scale with BANDAI figures is bothering me so much since forever... and it's one of the main reasons why I love SHMA so much: they finally managed to get the scale right. Well, almost or at least good enough.
Size DOES matter!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

They're focusing more on collector friendly boxes than they are collector-targeted figures lol.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:59 am They're focusing more on collector friendly boxes than they are collector-targeted figures lol.
They're $10 children's toys. What exactly are you expecting to be "collector-targeted?" Jesus, they look better than the Jurassic World toys revealed lately.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:59 am They're focusing more on collector friendly boxes than they are collector-targeted figures lol.
They're $10 children's toys. What exactly are you expecting to be "collector-targeted?" Jesus, they look better than the Jurassic World toys revealed lately.
JW has released stunning figures since Mattel has gotten the license, so that's not even within the question.

Mass produced Vinyls that sit on shelves in JP are what, like $13? What kid is buying an original Rodan figure at Target? Playmates target demo is all over the place.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 am
Yup. These are pretty much the American equivalent of the Bandai line and all of them need to hit a certain price point the way the Bandais do.

Why is scale even something people are hung up on with these. At the end of the day these are designed as kids toys.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I must need Manda's eyes then because Ghidorah looks in scale to me regardless or at least close enough.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:13 amWhy is scale even something people are hung up on with these. At the end of the day these are designed as kids toys.
Well, there are probably plenty of people who couldn't afford or didn't want to get the SHMA version because of the issues there who also have other Playmates or the NECA KOTM figures and want a Ghidorah that is in scale with those figures since the rest are in scale with each other.

I'm in the couldn't afford SHMA boat, I'm currently using the Bandai MMS and wish I could find a better option. While this is probably about same scale as the Bandai, at least it's more realistic.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Playmates, maker of cheap childrens toys, shouldn't have to compensate for people who can't afford high-end imported collectibles.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mattel, maker of cheap childrens toys, compensates for "people who can't afford high-end imported collectibles" on a near consistent basis.

I find it quite funny how its either $3000 statues, $300 figures, or $10 Mcd toys. Maybe we should be advocating for affordable (quality being the key) Bandai vinyl releases at retail here in the states, instead of settling for less??

Didn't mean to cause a stir, just said my peace. That line up does not look appealing to me. I figured we'd see some more molds, instead I realized 99% of the list were rereleases, or slightly less worse versions of what came out last year. Hell, one of them is literally a gloss-coated Kong, and the Ghidorah everyone is interested in seems to be a remolded Jakks Pacific figure. Terrestris is cool but what an odd choice?? It just makes me want the Bandai one more tbh.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:40 am Mattel, maker of cheap childrens toys, compensates for "people who can't afford high-end imported collectibles" on a near consistent basis.

I find it quite funny how its either $3000 statues, $300 figures, or $10 Mcd toys. Maybe we should be advocating for affordable (quality being the key) Bandai vinyl releases at retail here in the states, instead of settling for less??

Didn't mean to cause a stir, just said my peace. That line up does not look appealing to me. I figured we'd see some more molds, instead I realized 99% of the list were rereleases, or slightly less worse versions of what came out last year. Hell, one of them is literally a gloss-coated Kong, and the Ghidorah everyone is interested in seems to be a remolded Jakks Pacific figure. Terrestris is cool but what an odd choice?? It just makes me want the Bandai one more tbh.
Ghidorah is closer to the Bandai mms than the jakks Ghidorah.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:47 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:40 am Mattel, maker of cheap childrens toys, compensates for "people who can't afford high-end imported collectibles" on a near consistent basis.

Ghidorah is closer to the Bandai mms than the jakks Ghidorah.
Not particularly, if anything an odd amalgamation of the two.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I don't get why Mattel's Jurassic World line gets so much praise compared to every other line. Its all in the same boat. Cheap hard plastic kids toys with bad paint. Take one look at Mattel's figures compared to ANYTHING Kenner did back in the day and tell me you don't see the cracks in the façade. Mattel CHOSE to create the Amber (Hammond?) Collection to target collectors. Nothing obligates Playmates to do the same. Honestly, it might not even be all that profitable for them to dedicate the resources to that since collectors will buy up everything they shit out regardless.