Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Not surprising either it's people disinterested in the MV in general or those who are interested in human driven storylines hopefully if positive buzz happens from this show then maybe some of those hesitate will give it a chance but that's a big if.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am I saw a lot of social media apathy towards the announcement. People posting “meh” etc.
This honestly doesn't sound like anything someone who isn't already a die-hard fan of this branch of the franchise would care about. But that's just me.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Can we not start this “no one cares” nonsense?

People on the internet do that to just about every project announced that isn’t Marvel or DC related.

All that needs to happen is for it to be a good/entertaining show. The rest takes care of itself.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

^That's pretty much my hope

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

General audience when they hear of Kong: Skull Island anime: *TRIGGERED HYPE*

Kong is pretty much the only thing that is keeping the MonsterVerse going.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:27 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:54 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:21 pm Giant Freakin' Robot is not a reliable source. Carry on.
Next thing you know we're going to start getting news sourced from We've Got This Covered.
Even though they're full of shit, We got this covered did say a Godzilla monarch series was coming back during Godzilla vs Kong's marketing.
The show was being mentioned as a possibility during KOTM's press. It sure is nice to see it all come to fruition!
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:09 am General audience when they hear of Kong: Skull Island anime: *TRIGGERED HYPE*

Kong is pretty much the only thing that is keeping the MonsterVerse going.
We do not have enough data to day that without the benefit of the doubt.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

The only negativity I’ve seen to this new series is from fans who act like paying $4.99 for Apple TV+ is going to break the bank for them…

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:20 pm The only negativity I’ve seen to this new series is from fans who act like paying $4.99 for Apple TV+ is going to break the bank for them…
It's more they don't like Apple at all as a company

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Well, it's also the whole "I have to pay for ANOTHER streaming service now" lament from what I've seen.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Let's be real though. When it premieres every Godzilla fan will pay to watch it, even if it's just long enough to watch the show and then cancel the subscription.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pm Let's be real though. When it premieres every Godzilla fan will pay to watch it, even if it's just long enough to watch the show and then cancel the subscription.
What’s ridiculous is seeing people who buy X Plus figures on a routine basis stating five dollars a month is too much for them….

And I do think Kong puts more butts in seats world wide. So there’s something to that. I don’t think either character though is a sure thing….beyond guaranteeing a certain level of marginal interest. This isn’t marvel or even DC

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:47 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:31 pm Let's be real though. When it premieres every Godzilla fan will pay to watch it, even if it's just long enough to watch the show and then cancel the subscription.
What’s ridiculous is seeing people who buy X Plus figures on a routine basis stating five dollars a month is too much for them….
Well, again, I think it's less the price and more the concept of having to pay for another streaming service. I agree with Legion; everyone will get over it and pay to watch it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 am I saw a lot of social media apathy towards the announcement. People posting “meh” etc.
A lot of that is due to the fact that shortly before that announcement came up, movie scoopers were teasing people that a 'HUGE' announcement was gonna be released and covered by the trades at 5pm. This show turned out to be that announcement. It's not really surprising given the high level of anticipation that this comes off as underwhelming to some people.

Added in 49 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:47 pm
And I do think Kong puts more butts in seats world wide.
No, he doesn't.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Would you care to elaborate?

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:22 pm Would you care to elaborate?
I'd love to but that would be a LOOOONG post and honestly, I'm not in the mood to type long right now. I'll just point out that in regard to the Monsterverse, it is Godzilla that has the highest opening weekend and the highest domestic total. Yes, KSI narrowly wins internationally, but that has everything to do with China, which was a different market in 2017 than it was in 2014. Just compare the box office totals of G14 and KOTM. Also, KSI had a larger 'big-name' cast than G14, so to not take that into account is fallacious
Last edited by Moogabunga on Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I came in expecting to absolutely disagree with everything you typed there and instead feel like you made a few valid points…

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong is a character while Godzilla is a plot device. King attracting more general population doesn't seen far fetched.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am The show was being mentioned as a possibility during KOTM's press. It sure is nice to see it all come to fruition!
Could you please give me the source? I tried to search on my own, but I couldn't find it.

Or are you talking about this?

(At 14:45)

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm
Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am The show was being mentioned as a possibility during KOTM's press. It sure is nice to see it all come to fruition!
Could you please give me the source? I tried to search on my own, but I couldn't find it.

Or are you talking about this?

(At 14:45)
Mike's interview with me as well

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/godzil ... -coverage/
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.