Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am Singular Point's CGI is just ugly. Why they couldn't just do traditional 2D animation for the monsters, I'll never understand. CGI in anime is always so unsightly.
I would agree, but the obvious answer to the question is due to budget concerns. Plus it’s much more easier and quicker to do, if they were doing traditional 2D this series wouldn’t come out until 2025
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin looks good in the movie and Earth sucks either way, but it was the SHMA figure that properly sold me on Ultima. The actual animation model left no impression on me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 am Honestly, as much as I love the Reiwa gojis, I agree. It took seeing physical figures and statues to really appreciate the designs instead of an overall "meh. It's ok". Though the fact that was when we barely had an idea of the design from marketing certainly didn't help

Added in 43 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am Singular Point's CGI is just ugly. Why they couldn't just do traditional 2D animation for the monsters, I'll never understand. CGI in anime is always so unsightly.
BIG, BIG FUCKING AGREE.

The CGI/traditional blend works imo but I'd give it all up for 2D kaiju in a HEARTBEAT
DOUBLE BIG, BIG FUCKING AGREE.

A HUGE reason I haven't given the anime trilogy or SP a chance is that, on a deep visceral level, I haaaaate the animation in these things. This hybrid thing they (and a of of other things) do is just gross. It's ugly, soulless and is an artistic nightmare. I dont mind full CGI, but since these things are never going to have that, please just go full 2D animation.

Maybe we can get a Godzilla that can actually fucking do something again.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bring back a Showa style Godzilla. I wanna see Goji do some crazy shit and be active.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:31 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 am Honestly, as much as I love the Reiwa gojis, I agree. It took seeing physical figures and statues to really appreciate the designs instead of an overall "meh. It's ok". Though the fact that was when we barely had an idea of the design from marketing certainly didn't help

Added in 43 seconds:
BIG, BIG FUCKING AGREE.

The CGI/traditional blend works imo but I'd give it all up for 2D kaiju in a HEARTBEAT
DOUBLE BIG, BIG FUCKING AGREE.

A HUGE reason I haven't given the anime trilogy or SP a chance is that, on a deep visceral level, I haaaaate the animation in these things. This hybrid thing they (and a of of other things) do is just gross. It's ugly, soulless and is an artistic nightmare. I dont mind full CGI, but since these things are never going to have that, please just go full 2D animation.

Maybe we can get a Godzilla that can actually fucking do something again.
The anime trilogy is completely 3D. Personally I think it looked a lot more polished than the 3D in SP.

I like the hybrid style if it works, like the newest Attack on Titan season. Singular Point looked so weird to me because the CG models didn't match the artstyle of anything around it.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:56 pm Godzilla Ultima looks better in just about every artwork I've seen than the actual show.
Agreed, specifically with the October 2020 promotional art. It's probably just the way his head is angled but it looks way, way better than any other depiction of Ultima that came after.

Added in 4 minutes 35 seconds:
About Singular Point's kaiju animation: I love Orange's work on the series but it would be a lie to say that I would've loved to see the kaiju always be animated in 2D. Heck, the few moments we got to see Salunga, Jet Jaguar Z, and the Rodans in 2D looked absolutely amazing. However, that might've been extremely difficult considering the complexity of certain designs (most notably Anguirus). Plus, the visual disconnect kinda works in the show's favor since the kaiju are, y'know, essentially from a different universe.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I get that the kaiju designs in SP are weird, but I like the human designs.

Like I said elsewhere, Godzilla vs. Kong was a breezy watch for me (and I like that).
Friends don't lie.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Continuity can be a strength if done right. Yet Toho for the past 2 decades has treated it as little more than a hinderance.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 pm Continuity can be a strength if done right. Yet Toho for the past 2 decades has treated it as little more than a hinderance.
Every time you complain about this, I want Toho to do more stand alones.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:15 pm Continuity can be a strength if done right. Yet Toho for the past 2 decades has treated it as little more than a hinderance.
I agree. The film series that, imo, has the bset sense of continuity is the Star Wars series.

I've seen all 11 films and not only did I like the entire saga, the continuity between all the films was absolutely perfect. Everything led into, and was connected with, everything that came before and after.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm
Okay, but how would you react if Toho actually did decide to do a continuity spanning multiple films again?
mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm I've seen all 11 films and not only did I like the entire saga, the continuity between all the films was absolutely perfect. Everything led into, and was connected with, everything that came before and after.
The creative struggle between Abrams and Johnson not withstanding that is.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm
Okay, but how would you react if Toho actually did decide to do a continuity spanning multiple films again?
Wouldn't give a shit unless the movies were good.

Cause continuity and a shared universe is dressing on a film, not some integral detail Toho is soiling their films for not adding.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm I've seen all 11 films and not only did I like the entire saga, the continuity between all the films was absolutely perfect. Everything led into, and was connected with, everything that came before and after.
Yeah, I guess you could say that, but I don't know all the details about that one.

The way I figure it, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to end the Star Wars films right then and there. After all. Lucas's original concept of a "trio of trilogies" is finally finished after all these years and in spite of everything, and with all the extracurricular media (especially officially-sanctioned books, comic books, etc.) there's no need to make more films. Every gap conceivable (whether in Legends or in canon) has practically been filled. You know, get out while the gettting's good. It'd be a brave move - or a smart one.

But then again, when was the last time the Hollywood system ever did something that was both brave and/or smart?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Varan shouldn't come back. Just not a fan.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt Varan ever will get another shot. While it would be a kind gesture to a kaiju that hasn't seen camera in years, Varan just doesn't have the PR that other dinosaurian kaiju do.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:16 pm Varan shouldn't come back. Just not a fan.
Would it be any different than multiple Showa kaiju returning in Final Wars?

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm Bring back a Showa style Godzilla. I wanna see Goji do some crazy shit and be active.
Hard same. I want the silliness of the Showa era to be brought back and applied to its logical extreme.
Last edited by Kiryu2012 on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:07 pm

Yeah, I guess you could say that, but I don't know all the details about that one.

The way I figure it, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to end the Star Wars films right then and there. After all. Lucas's original concept of a "trio of trilogies" is finally finished after all these years and in spite of everything, and with all the extracurricular media (especially officially-sanctioned books, comic books, etc.) there's no need to make more films. Every gap conceivable (whether in Legends or in canon) has practically been filled. You know, get out while the gettting's good. It'd be a brave move - or a smart one.

But then again, when was the last time the Hollywood system ever did something that was both brave and/or smart?
Star Wars (and IMHO the MCU, to an extent) probably should stick to serialized streaming series over feature films. At this point, that seems to be the definitive form of cinematic storytelling, for ongoing franchises at least. It allows for more complex stories and richer character development.
Friends don't lie.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm
I agree. The film series that, imo, has the bset sense of continuity is the Star Wars series.

I've seen all 11 films and not only did I like the entire saga, the continuity between all the films was absolutely perfect. Everything led into, and was connected with, everything that came before and after.
Star Wars is notorious for glaring, awkward ret-cons. As far back as, "Leia is my sister," things have been popping up that were unmistakably not part of the design of the original movie; and Lucasfilm has found it necessary to go back and alter aspects of the OT in order to conform to discrepancies introduced by later movies.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:17 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm

Star Wars is notorious for glaring, awkward ret-cons. As far back as, "Leia is my sister," things have been popping up that were unmistakably not part of the design of the original movie; and Lucasfilm has found it necessary to go back and alter aspects of the OT in order to conform to discrepancies introduced by later movies.
Question: what was the design of the first film? Do you even know? Does anyone know?
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.