General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by Petezilla »

Only the holy lord knows if there will even be a HG D+ EX 03 set...
Size DOES matter!

pmasterkim
Ronin

Post by pmasterkim »

I can't post links (stuck in the newbie probation for a while now) but there's a new Gekizo series for Godzilla SP! Looks amazing! Very tempted to get these instead of the HG D+!!!

Line includes all forms of Godzilla, Anguirus, and last form of JJ + its spear.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

pmasterkim wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:46 pm I can't post links (stuck in the newbie probation for a while now) but there's a new Gekizo series for Godzilla SP! Looks amazing! Very tempted to get these instead of the HG D+!!!

Line includes all forms of Godzilla, Anguirus, and last form of JJ + its spear.
These have been known for a while. They're not really gashapons. However, they're cool and they'll scale well with the other gashapons. They're also pretty dynamic. I wonder if they'll do two series of these.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

No more EX sets please. I prefer affordable Gashapons. I'd be pissed if more SP characters were regulated to that shit.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:43 pm They're not really gashapons. However, they're cool and they'll scale well with the other gashapons. They're also pretty dynamic. I wonder if they'll do two series of these.
Eh, they're pretty big compared to Gashapons, and that's based on the KOTM figures. And the SP figures are supposed to be even bigger.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

I recently received the Godzilla Premium Gashapon Skeleton set. They look quite nice when build up, but actually constructing them is a real pain in the @55, let me tell you that! You have to knibble off and put together all joints manually. And many joints just WON'T go into their respective sockets in the bone parts, because they're relatively small, soft and bendy. I feared breaking parts and my fingertips several times. Also, because of the softness many parts are badly bend out of shape 'right out of the ball'... :?
It took me an hour+ to just build the bone and red color Godzilla, both Ghidrah's are yet to be done... :freak:

However, despite the obstacles: it's super fun and unique set! :g2k:
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Petezilla wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 pm I recently received the Godzilla Premium Gashapon Skeleton set. They look quite nice when build up, but actually constructing them is a real pain in the @55, let me tell you that! You have to knibble off and put together all joints manually. And many joints just WON'T go into their respective sockets in the bone parts, because they're relatively small, soft and bendy. I feared breaking parts and my fingertips several times. Also, because of the softness many parts are badly bend out of shape 'right out of the ball'... :?
It took me an hour+ to just build the bone and red color Godzilla, both Ghidrah's are yet to be done... :freak:

Can you post these!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:52 pm
Petezilla wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:00 pm I recently received the Godzilla Premium Gashapon Skeleton set. They look quite nice when build up, but actually constructing them is a real pain in the @55, let me tell you that! You have to knibble off and put together all joints manually. And many joints just WON'T go into their respective sockets in the bone parts, because they're relatively small, soft and bendy. I feared breaking parts and my fingertips several times. Also, because of the softness many parts are badly bend out of shape 'right out of the ball'... :?

Can you post these!
Well, I just... 'finished' both Ghidorah's (which are even worse to build and the wings are super bend out of shape, which looks fugly as skreeonk). I could upload a picture of them build up since i didn't take pictures while I struggled with the build-up process. But... I'd NEVER develop the idea of disassembling them EVER AGAIN. Instead, I found the following video on YT which covers the pro's & con's and experience quite good, although it doesn't transport the frustration I've felt during the figure's construction all that well.

My opinion on those Godzilla skeletons:

Are these worth the original ~ 40 USD MSRP (1,000 JPY per figure)?
If you come with the required Zen-like patience to build them. YES they are, since these are just so unique.

Are these worth the ~100+ USD sellers on ebay and elsewhere ask for a set of all 4?
That's a definitive NO in my book.
Size DOES matter!

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

Preordered HG D+ 07, now I suppose we wait for an eventual D+ 08.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Set 07 is out in Japan, pics have been coming in on social media. Here's a thread with good pictures:

https://twitter.com/GanGanGodzilla/stat ... 8603907072

They look pretty solid, maybe better than the Godzilla vs. Kong set. Warpage continues to be an issue though, but I suppose its inevitable. Kind of wish Jet Jaguar didn't need a stand but I know he'd never stay upright on those toothpicks otherwise.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

Godzilla Ultima looks a bit shorter than the other Godzillas, most likely because of the way his legs are.

Not a deal-breaker for me though.

pmasterkim
Ronin

Post by pmasterkim »

Ultima doesn't even fit on the display! I've got my order shipped so hopefully it will arrive in the UK soon.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Wow I really want that aqua mothra

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:48 pm Set 07 is out in Japan, pics have been coming in on social media. Here's a thread with good pictures:

https://twitter.com/GanGanGodzilla/stat ... 8603907072

They look pretty solid, maybe better than the Godzilla vs. Kong set. Warpage continues to be an issue though, but I suppose its inevitable. Kind of wish Jet Jaguar didn't need a stand but I know he'd never stay upright on those toothpicks otherwise.

What really works wonders VS the warpage problem with these is (very) warm water. As can be read a few posts above, I got the Skeleton Gashapon set and the Ghidorah wing bones were spread in all directions, like an ancient toothbrush. I put the pieces in a sink filled with 40+ °C water and left them in there for a while refilling the sink with hot water when it had cooled down. After like an hour or so the wings were bend back into their original intended shape. Directly afterwards I put them in the freezer for like 30 minutes. They are still in shape today.

The same method worked with the HG D+ Ghidorah 2019 from the 1st set, which had the wings bend almost into a wing-walking position. Now the wings are nicely spread out like on the advertisement pictures.
Size DOES matter!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Petezilla wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm
What really works wonders VS the warpage problem with these is (very) warm water. As can be read a few posts above, I got the Skeleton Gashapon set and the Ghidorah wing bones were spread in all directions, like an ancient toothbrush. I put the pieces in a sink filled with 40+ °C water and left them in there for a while refilling the sink with hot water when it had cooled down. After like an hour or so the wings were bend back into their original intended shape. Directly afterwards I put them in the freezer for like 30 minutes. They are still in shape today.

The same method worked with the HG D+ Ghidorah 2019 from the 1st set, which had the wings bend almost into a wing-walking position. Now the wings are nicely spread out like on the advertisement pictures.
Hmm, It's the same thing with my Kong with axe figure. I'll try what you recommend with spares, but I could easily see the reverse happen when it winds up warping the figure worse.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:10 am
Petezilla wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm

Hmm, It's the same thing with my Kong with axe figure. I'll try what you recommend with spares, but I could easily see the reverse happen when it winds up warping the figure worse.
I can confirm the hot water method works. I do it with almost every set I get, but for shorter time than Peterzilla does.

I let whatever part I want to fix sit in a pot of boiling water for 1-3 mins depending on thickness (usually in a slotted spoon, don't want the part touching the bottom and melting). For some parts, such as Godzilla's spines or Ghidorah's horns, they straighten out by themselves in that time. For others it just makes the piece more malleable. Whichever happens, I then put the piece in the freezer for 10+ mins so it sets. For those pieces that straighten themselves, they just go straight in the freezer. The one's I want to set a certain way or that require more help, I use a leatherman or other small tools/weights when placing in the freezer so it sets correctly.

For example: HG D+01 King Ghidorah that Peterzilla mentioned, my wings were severely curved down. I warmed each one individually around 3 mins since they were thicker, then put them in the freezer with a lighter object on top so the bend would come out and the wings would open, but not heavy enough that it would flatten the wings. I also did this to straighten Kong's axe.

HG D+01 King Ghidorah 2019 - front view was it came
HG D+01 King Ghidorah 2019 - front view after using the above method
HG D+01 King Ghidorah 2019 - side view before
HG D+01 King Ghidorah 2019 - side view after
Last edited by darkcancer on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

I bought a set of the GvK gashapons and ended up with 3 skullcrawlers and a Mechagodzilla. I’m not sure if getting 4 skullcrawlers would have been bad luck or really good luck.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

LiamNeesons wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:11 pm I bought a set of the GvK gashapons and ended up with 3 skullcrawlers and a Mechagodzilla. I’m not sure if getting 4 skullcrawlers would have been bad luck or really good luck.
Judging by the majority of people I've seen posting about these, it seems like you were (a questionable kind of) lucky, since most gt multiples of the others and less Skullcrawlers. I myself bougt two sets to increase my chances and after getting 3 Godzillas, 2 Kongs & 2 Mechagodzillas, I prayed to the holy God(zilla) that in the 8th and last egg/orb would be a Skulcrawler - and thankfully I lucked out.

Added in 37 seconds:
Petezilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:26 am
LiamNeesons wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:11 pm I bought a set of the GvK gashapons and ended up with 3 skullcrawlers and a Mechagodzilla. I’m not sure if getting 4 skullcrawlers would have been bad luck or really good luck.
Judging by the majority of people I've seen posting about these, it seems like you were (a questionable kind of) lucky, since most got multiples of the others and less Skullcrawlers. I myself bougt two sets to increase my chances and after getting 3 Godzillas, 2 Kongs & 2 Mechagodzillas, I prayed to the holy God(zilla) that in the 8th and last egg/orb would be a Skulcrawler - and thankfully I lucked out.
Size DOES matter!

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

:lol: then I guess I should go buy a lottery ticket. I’m gonna have to buy another set to get my Kong and Godzilla.

pmasterkim
Ronin

Post by pmasterkim »

I'm kind of surprised people buy randoms, I'd rather pay the little extra for the full set off rakuten or somewhere similar.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

pmasterkim wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:37 pm I'm kind of surprised people buy randoms, I'd rather pay the little extra for the full set off rakuten or somewhere similar.
I usually do . I didn’t read the description on BBTS and just figured they’d give me the whole set. In the last I’ve bought from eBay or showcase daikaiju for the full sets.