Godzilla VS Bagorah: The Prophecies of Z

A board for users to display their created fiction. Creating a separate topic for comments is suggested.

Moderator: GodzillavsJason

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Godzilla VS Bagorah: The Prophecies of Z

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Prologue: Out of the Internet

Do you really believe a monster attacked New York? Do you? Monsters don’t exist. They want you to believe monsters exist so they can control you. You know who I’m talking about-the politicians, the lawyers, the special interests, the people who have been controlling and ruining this country for years. I.e. the people that want President Dale gone. He’s had them right where he wants them and they knew they had to make up something big and horrifying to turn the people against him. How big? “Godzilla” big. Godzilla isn’t real. It was all made up, done with CGI and controlled demolitions and bombs. They wanted to make Dale look bad so they could launch a coup from within.

Are you really so stupid as to think monsters exist? They think you’re stupid. They will control you. They will control this country. You will be their slaves and this country will sink into ruin if we don’t do something. I promise you, the day of reckoning is coming soon. It’s time to take up arms. Take it from me….I’m on the inside….

Who am I? I am the Omega; the Prophet; the Truth that is revealed at the very End.

You can call me “Z”.

All will be made clear soon.

“People actually believe crap like this?”

Dana Anderson looked up from the pages her partner had handed her, almost amused by what she had just read.

“I mean,” she said, hardly suppressing a smile, “this is really, really stupid.”

Her partner, David Foxx, had been with the FBI longer than she had and as he ran his hand over his shaven head a deep sigh gave voice to that experience.

“Sadly,” he said, “a lot of people just happen to be really, really stupid.”

“So what does this have to do with what we’re working on?” Anderson asked. “We’re working on domestic terrorism cases. This is maybe a crime against intelligence but it’s hardly a federal crime to put nonsense on the internet.”

“The problem is that this nonsense is now influencing the people we’ve been monitoring.” Foxx told her. “This ‘Z’, whoever they are, started posting on the internet right after Godzilla attacked New York and the Containment Zone was put into place. What you just read there is the very first of what they call their ‘prophecies’ and these regular postings scattered over sites on the internet are resonating with people in some scary ways.”

“Define scary.” His partner insisted.

“When the posts first started I think they were something of a curiosity for people. Then a segment of the internet started believing in what they said and started treating them like a treasure map for clues to what was going to happen and what they should do about it. This ‘Z’ has convinced a lot of people that there’s a secret cabal of evil people lurking within our government trying to bring down President Dale and install some sort of dictatorship.”

“Guess they missed all those tweets where Dale’s talking about suspending elections until all that imaginary voter fraud can be prevented.” Anderson quipped.

“There’s a lot of people who have, weird as it sounds, cast Dale as some sort of messiah type figure that’s come to restore this country and solve all their problems. A lot of them are, well, folks that people of my complexion aren’t particularly popular with, but it seems to be more than that. It’s almost like a contagious delusion spreading online. In their minds, or maybe I should say in their world, Dale’s failures in dealing with Godzilla’s attack isn’t a disaster that almost got him removed from office, it’s a made up attempt to remove the man they practically worship. Now we’ve got terrorist groups like the New Sons of Liberty reposting this stuff on their forums and websites.”

“New Sons of Liberty…That’s John Doss’s group isn’t it?”

“You did pay attention in the briefing.” Foxx said with a grin. “Yeah, it is. Doss is a loose cannon waiting to go off and there have been vague threats made on the New Sons of Liberty forum about doing something at the Containment Zone.”

“Why would anyone want to do that though?” Anderson asked, shaking her head. “Godzilla’s body is highly radioactive. It’s dangerous.”

“I told you, they don’t think any of this is real. They think something that’s very real and very dangerous is fiction and the dangerous nonsense they’re buying into is reality. It’s like mass psychosis.”

He paused for a moment. “Have you ever heard of the Chupacabra? Or Slender Man?”

Anderson looked at him incredulously. “Don’t tell me we’re being reassigned to something like the X-Files. Don’t get me wrong, I liked the show but…”

“No, no, no.” Foxx protested. “After all the time you’ve known me I can’t imagine why you’d think that. Just hear me out here. Decades ago, reports started coming out of Puerto Rico about some strange animal killing livestock. It made it out onto the internet, back when the internet was still in its infancy, and took on a life of its own, weaving in with the mythos of UFO fanatics and paranormal enthusiasts. Most of the killings out of Puerto Rico were done by dogs but that didn’t matter any. Soon people all over the world were seeing Chupacabras, mostly in the Spanish speaking countries but in some cases as far away as Russia.”

“And Slender Man?”

“Slender Man was made up on the internet. There’s no mystery to it. It’s fiction, plain and simple, and anyone can look it up to find that out. But nevertheless, there are people who really believe in it. A few years ago, there were two young girls who were so convinced it existed that they tried to murder their friend as a sacrifice to it.”

“I think I remember that.” Anderson said, visibly disturbed. “It’s hard to believe something so awful can come from something made up online.”

“That’s exactly my point. The internet is making monsters. Not monsters like Godzilla. Monsters that live in peoples’ minds. Worse than that, it’s making monsters out of people.”

He placed his hand down on the printed sheets in front of her containing the “prophecy” for emphasis.

“This ‘Z’, whoever they are, could very well be making a new one as we speak.”

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla VS Bagorah: The Prophecies of Z

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 1: Containment

What’s in the “Containment Zone”?

The truth will shock you and it’s going to come out soon. Remember, “Godzilla” is a hoax. “Godzilla” was made up, all done with CGI and controlled explosions, and chemicals in the water that made people in New York hallucinate and subject to mind control. It didn’t happen. It was all done to launch the coup from within. Some of us on the inside are fighting back. We want you to know the truth before it’s too late.

The truth of what’s in there will shock the world when it comes out.

-Z

“Good God these people again!” Colonel J.D. Porter snarled as he glared out at the protestors from the back seat of the car he was riding in. “Out here every damn day waving those signs. I wish I knew what the hell was wrong with them.”

The silver haired military officer looked out over the sea of screaming, sputtering, angry people wielding a variety of home made signs. “Godzilla=HOAX!”, read one. “Give back our property!”, said another. There was “God Bless President Dale!”, and “What are YOU hiding???”. Then, sprinkled amongst the others, were several that simply bore the letter Z.

“What does the letter ‘Z’ mean to them?” The man sitting beside the colonel asked.

Colonel Porter turned and looked to the man accompanying him, wondering how he might explain it and embarrassed to actually have to do so. The man beside him, after all, was a distinguished scientist visiting from Japan. Considering the circumstances, the spectacle outside was, to Porter’s mind, a national embarrassment.

“Well,” the colonel began, “I think it’s some internet thing that’s popular now. It’s stupid, really, but there are some people that think what happened here with Godzilla was all a hoax.”

“So the sign says.” Dr. Kenichi Yamane said, pointing to one scrawled on cardboard. “It’s nothing to be embarrassed about Colonel. There are similar sentiments in Japan. That ‘Z’ seems to be gaining a following there as well.”

“That’s the internet I guess.” Colonel Porter said with a chuckle. “Every idiot with a computer can get on there and find whatever he wants.”

“So it would seem.” Dr. Yamane agreed as an angry woman shouted and spat on his window. “I’ve often wondered how the design of the human brain can produce both rationality and brilliance and at the same time irrationality and gullibility.”

“That’s probably more your field than mine.” Porter said.

“No,” Dr. Yamane replied smiling, “that’s too advanced for me. I’ll have to settle for solving the mysteries of Godzilla.”

They pulled up to the gate of a towering chainlink fence topped with barbed wire. Armed soldiers stood, guns at the ready, keeping the protestors back.

“Private Jeffers, I believe.”, the Colonel said as he rolled down the window and greeted the guard. “If you would be so kind to allow us through, Dr. Yamane has a rather busy day ahead of him.”

“Yes sir!” The young soldier said, opening the gate and allowing them to leave the angry, screaming protestors behind them. Miles ahead, a towering concrete wall loomed on the horizon. They were still a great distance from their destination, a necessary safety precaution considering what was being held within the massive structure.

Colonel Porter looked over the vast stretch of rural land, the empty houses with overgrown lawns, the crushed buildings in the distance that hadn’t been cleaned up. Thinking about it, he felt a twinge of sympathy for where the anger of the protestors were coming from. He wondered if some of them might have lived here once, before Godzilla came. Then he thought about the signs that read “HOAX” and dismissed the possibility.

“I suppose the news that the radioactive fall out from Godzilla has an extremely short half life hasn’t done anything to appease those people?” Dr. Yamane asked.

“No, seems to have aggravated it.” Porter snorted. “Just seems to inflame their frustration with not being able to get behind that fence.”

“Well there’s still the matter of the radiation from Godzilla’s body. We haven’t determined just how dangerous that is yet.”

After a long drive through the ruined and yet strangely peaceful countryside they arrived at the towering wall of the Containment Zone.

“I wonder if your old friend has moved any, Doctor.” Colonel Porter quipped as they were led in through a door and began dressing in protective gear.

“Let’s hope not.” The scientist said.

They moved into a new room with a wide glass window giving them a full view of the massive area encircled by the wall. There, in the center of a massive crater pumped dry of the water that once filled it by machinery, lay Godzilla, encircled by the towering concrete walls and laying still and silent. The beast’s eyes were closed as it lay face down in the dirt, its mouth hanging open to reveal the rows of sharp fangs inside. Massive electrical cables had been laid across its titanic frame, arching up over the body and between the jagged dorsal plates on the monster’s back; a fail safe capable of delivering a fifty million volt shock if the monster actually proved to be alive. All around the body of the creature people in hazmat suits were operating machinery of different sorts, taking readings, laboring away in an attempt to get the smallest of cell samples. Through it all, Godzilla’s body remained unresponsive, dead for all that anyone could tell.

“Incredible.” Colonel Porter breathed as he surveyed the enormous size of the fallen monster.

“I know.” Yamane agreed. “No matter how many times I see him, I never cease to be amazed.”

Five people sat together in the eerily vacant West Wing of the White House. In recent months, a mass exodus of everyone from staffers to cabinet members had occurred as the U.S. government’s executive branch had been shaken by the near removal of President Ted Dale from power. Dale himself barely came out of his living quarters following that event. For all intents and purposes, the government of the United States was operating as if on autopilot.

“Give it to us straight Pike.” The gruff old man in the center of the group demanded. “You two are about the only people that Dale bothers to communicate with us through anymore. Is he going to get it in gear for reelection already or not? You know I’m a supporter, but this is insane!”

The lean, bald man across from him stared at him for a moment, a thin and conceited smile appearing on his face as he nodded.

“Senator Bowen, I can assure you, the President is very much ready to run for reelection.”

Jason Pike had risen rapidly in Washington. He had started as a staffer for a senator who only occupied a back bench in his caucus then quickly became that senator’s speech writer and turned him into a fire brand popular with the party’s base. It was that senator who had recommend him to President Dale himself, and in short order he had become the Senior Policy Advisor in the White House. Now, as Dale seemed to be almost alone on a sinking ship, Pike seemed to be one of the few rats willing to stay with him.

“Then why the hell doesn’t he get out there and campaign?” Senator Bowen demanded. “He’s getting the shit kicked out of him and the rest of us are with him!”

“The President is employing a front porch campaign as was once the norm in American politics.” Pike said in regal tones that didn’t suit him. “It’s a strategy, Senator. We are avoiding over exposure. When the time is right, he intends to kick off his campaign at a rally in Miami.”

“Right now he needs to be out there talking about Godzilla and correcting this perception that he screwed the whole crisis up!” Bowen practically thundered. “If he doesn’t change course we’re going to get killed in this election!”

“Senator, if I may.” the younger, silver haired man next to him interrupted. Pike turned to look at the party’s leader in the House. “We just want to make sure that we win by a large enough margin to secure majorities in the next Congress. That’s all we’re concerned about here.”

The woman in the red dress, the chair of the party’s national committee handpicked by President Dale, nodded in agreement.

Pike smiled again, showing his teeth this time. “I assure you all, the President has everything under control. All he requires from any of you at this time is your loyalty. So long as we have that, we can proceed to the next phase of the campaign soon without any issues. The base, after all, expects that of you. And believe me, the base is going to turnout in force in this election. We are taking steps to guarantee that.”

“It’s not that we aren’t loyal to President Dale.” The congressman said hastily. “We just need to be able to reassure the members of our party in swing districts is all.”

“The President understands, of course.” Pike assured them all. “I’ll be happy to convey your concerns and keep you updated on the campaign.”

More pleasantries were exchanged and soon Pike was left alone with the one man who hadn’t spoke through the whole meeting.

“How long do you think we can keep this up?” The fat man with the bad toupee asked nervously. “Ted’s a mess right now. He doesn’t need to be out on a campaign after his breakdown.”

“You’re his lawyer Carl. Keep him advised of that.” Pike replied smoothly, pulling out his laptop.

Carl Donner grimaced.

“It’s not exactly legal advice so much as political. But that aside, what are you going to do about the campaign?”

“Again, you’re his lawyer.” Pike said with a shrug. “Surely you can find a way to get enough ballots thrown out or a way to get the election decided in the courts.”

“Surely you’re joking?” Carl Donner replied, practically choking on his own breath at the thought of what he was being told to do. Pike didn’t even look up at him.

“Let’s face it Carl, this isn’t a country for men like us anymore. Not like it used to be anyway. Our nation is hanging by a thread with a great many undesirables ruining it from the inside. America needs its Caesar to save it and Dale has to play that part. If he doesn’t, then it will be too late for someone else to do so. We can’t count on the people to be rational and vote in the best interest of the country, not with the current electorate anyway. We have to think outside the box. You do still believe in what we came here to do, don’t you?”

“Of course.” Donner assured him. “It’s just a lot to consider I guess.”

“Yes, but leave some of it to me.” Pike said with another smile. “You handle the legal side of things and I’ll make sure we have our army ready to stand up and fight for us. In the meantime, it’s best that the President stays in his room. I’m sure he’ll be ready to come out when the time is right.”

Somewhere in America, in a dark room filled with smoke, a pale figure sat hunched over and looking into the faint blue glow that provided the room’s only light. Michael Quinn seldom came out of his room if he could help it. Sadly, he had to work and pay bills, and money was an unfortunate necessity that he had far too little of, so much too often for his liking he had to drag himself out of his tiny apartment and slave away at a job that was beneath him. Mercifully he usually worked nights. He didn’t like being out in the sun.

The greasy haired young man scratched his goatee and took another puff of his vape as he jumped from tab to tab on his computer monitor. It amazed him how the internet, a source of limitless information and potential, could be so boring. For a moment he toyed with the idea of finding a movie to watch, but movies weren’t any good these days. Even the superhero movies were all politically correct crap with casts chosen by affirmative action rather than their acting ability. That wasn’t just Michael’s opinion but an obvious fact. How more people didn’t see it he had no idea.

There were, of course, other obvious choices he could turn to in order to entertain himself with online. He always got depressed afterwards though. Loneliness would set in and Michael hated feeling lonely. It was a shame there was so much not to like about his looks, he thought. He could really offer some lucky girl a lot if they’d just give him the time of day. But good guys like him never got the girl they deserved. It was just one more way for the world to step right on him, another injustice for men like him who were supposed to suffer in silence while everyone else complained.

He typed rapidly into the search bar, desperate to find a distraction for himself. He ended up scrolling through one of his favorite forums, looking over all the recent posts. And then, he saw it-a prophecy from “Z”.

“Can you believe this?” Someone had posted in the thread.

“Of course! You can’t after everything we’ve seen???” Someone else replied.

“We are with you Z! Keep the revelations coming!”

“This is good vs evil. I don’t understand how everyone isn’t awake to this yet!?”

“Give it time. People are waking up. Did you see that huge protest outside the Fake Containment Zone today? Matter of time before people take action.”

“WHEN IS GO TIME!?!? I AM READY!!!”

“Patience. Trust in Z. He’ll tell us when.”

Michael Quinn smiled from ear to ear. The world was finally changing.

Darkness.

Blissful darkness.

The scent of earth.

Cold stone and dirt.

Within these confines it slept on, its breath slow and subtle, almost nonexistent. Outside the world passed by but here it paid no heed. The slumber was deep; the hibernation long. It would end in time but that time had not yet come.

Something shook around it, stirring it ever so slightly from its dreaming. Then back into sleep it went, closer to consciousness but still mercifully unmoving.

It wouldn’t take much more to wake it though. When that happened the hunger would come. If its sleep was disturbed, the feeding would begin again.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 2: Stories

Do you believe in fairy tales?

The people in the shadows of our government want you to believe them. We’re about to rip their masks off though and show you what’s really going on. It won’t be long now. Be ready…

It will start with the revelations of what they’re really doing in the Containment Zone. That’s ground zero for the horrible things they’re doing to children. Think about how many are kidnapped or missing in America. Don’t you wonder where they all go? What their stories are? The real story here is a story of evil hiding behind lies and manipulation to keep power.

The story will be told when the wall comes down…

-Z

“Heeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaayooooooo!” The white man in the feathered headdress and blue jeans shouted, pounding his bare chest and stomping his bare feet as the crowd of rally goers turned and looked to him, his superman cape flowing behind him. No one seem concerned that he was armed with a spear, but at a rally with more than a few guns-some of them looking as if they belonged in a war zone-that probably wasn’t unusual. Rallies like this one in Houston were happening all across America, from one coast to the other.

“Let me tell you a story!” The man in the headdress said. “That’s part of my job. I’m the Medicine Man!”

Adam Bogart had long felt this was his calling. It was confirmed for him when Jesus and Buddha had come to him and told him his truth-that he was the reincarnation of many great men. He’d been Sitting Bull, and King Tut, and Confucious, and George Washington, and Abraham Lincoln. Now he was here to be “the Medicine Man” at a time when the people needed him to pull back the curtain and let them see. They’d given him power to work miracles and to sense many things. They’d told him all about the people of other planets and the secrets of the ancient civilizations far more advanced than our own. He could heal any illness with a touch and drive out demons with his words.

“Long ago the native people lived here in peace with the land and in total freedom!” He yelled, receiving some scattered shouts of agreement and applause. “And life was good. And when Europeans came here they did the same and lived in freedom and life was good. As time went on they built a great nation. But the people forgot their way and let evil and darkness take over this land!” Again, more scattered applause and cheers from the crowd came. “But God is showing us that we are at the start of a new era! God is coming back to us and He will not be denied!”

Here the people around him burst into loud cheers and applause, spurring him on.

“Who here has read the Prophecies of Z?” Adam asked them.

Almost everyone clapped and cheered again.

“If you’ve read them, you know they are more than what is written. You know there’s a code buried in there. The story is not yet done. Z is showing us the way! God is showing us the way through His prophets! Do not be deceived by lies! Do not let people of darkness take away our land and our freedom!”

The crowd cheered at this strange man who had suddenly capture their attention, spurring him on. Adam smiled, feeling as if he was being lifted up by their cheers, and looked out to the trees across the street from where they had gathered. There he saw a door, carved out of the air, and new instinctively that beyond that door waited the greater mysteries of existence.

Dr. Vicky Hannah pulled her jeep up to the trailer at the end of the dirt road and climbed out. It had taken her forever to find it, and the damn GPS hadn’t been a lot of help, but here she was, at an old trailer in the shadow of a small mountain that the locals here in Wyoming called “Demon’s Rest.” As she walked past a flock of chickens and three apparently indifferent dogs, the door on the trailer opened and a thin, long-haired man came to stand on the old wooden porch in front of it.

“Hello.” He called. “You must be Dr. Hannah.”

“And you must be Nathan Deer.” She said back pleasantly. “Nice to finally meet you.”

“Come in, come in.” He said, shaking her hand as she climbed the rickety looking porch and holding open the screen door for her. “We have a lot to talk about.”

Nathan Deer’s trailer was small and cramped, but neatly kept. Vicky sat down at the small table bolted to the wall as her host made his way into what could be called the kitchen, if it had been separated from where she sat and what would have been the living room.

“Can I interest you in a cup of coffee?” Nathan asked her. “And if so, how would you like it?”

“Yes please, with sugar if it’s not too much trouble.”

“No trouble at all.” The older man responded as he set about making their drinks. “I appreciate you coming all the way out here. I know I’m a bit off the beaten path.”

“It was something of an adventure finding you.” Dr. Hannah laughed. “I hear though you’re something of a local activist.”

“If someone around here told you that I’m sure the words they used were ‘pain in the ass’. I try to look out for the interests of the land and of my people, and for some strange reason that tends to aggravate a lot of folks.”

Dr. Hannah said nothing, though in reality “pain in the ass” were the exact words that had been used to describe Nathan Deer to her. Apparently he was a passionate environmentalist and an advocate for the rights of the indigenous people like himself and was quite happy to make a pest out of himself if he felt the need. Or at least, that was what she had gathered from the more colorful descriptions of him.

Nathan brought the coffee to her and sat down across the little table, grabbing a notebook and taking his glasses out of the pocket of his red flannel shirt. “So, I know in my message I told you about the fracking they’re doing out here. Are you all up to speed on that?”

Dr. Hannah nodded. An ecologist working for the state, she was one of several scientists Nathan had been insisting needed to come out and look at the situation at the foot of the mountain for months. He had apparently loudly opposed the construction of the gas wells and been unable to stop them, now he was insisting they were having an impact on the drinking water, the soil, and the local flora and fauna. As they sat there together, she could see the wells in the distance from his window, towering white structures, like skeletal pyramids, at the very base of the mountain.

“Have you noticed anything odd about the local wildlife?” She asked. “Or the vegetation.”

“Yes. I’ve found a whole lot of dead animals, mostly birds.” He handed her pictures he’d taken of the dead creatures and she looked over each one, not that they revealed anything in particular. “I think they must have drank from contaminated water. Of course they won’t let us know what chemicals they’re pumping into the ground to get the gas out. That’s a company secret don’t you know.”

Dr. Hannah didn’t say anything in response. She simply gave a noncommittal nod. As a scientist, she had to approach what she’d come here to look at in a certain way, and that meant not jumping to any conclusions without persuasive evidence.

“There’ve been earthquakes too.” Nathan told her, flipping through his notebook to a page where he’d written “EARTHQUAKES” in big print with the dates and times numbered and listed below. “Not big ones mind you, but they’re happening more and more frequently.”

“Well,” Vicky said, “this certainly gives me an idea on what to be on the look out for as I conduct my investigation. I appreciate that.”

“I appreciate you coming out here. It’s the environment right now, and that’s worrisome enough, but my people still live in this area and I worry what they’re doing with those wells might make them sick soon. Much as I’d welcome the opportunity to sue the state and a whole bunch of gas companies, I’d rather it not come to someone getting sick or worse to do that. It amazes me how careless the government and big corporations are with these kinds of things. Did you know that the government’s even lost several nuclear weapons over the years? One of them off the coast of Georgia even.”

“No, I didn’t know that.” Dr. Hannah said carefully, wondering if her host was about to start rambling.

“The Tybee Island mid-air collision in 1958. You should read about it.” He took a long drink of his coffee, looking pensively out at the mountain.

“You know my people gave that little mountain its name?” He said conversationally.

“I was curious about the name.” Dr. Hannah said, looking out the window, considering the small, almost conical shaped mountain jutting a few hundred feet above the land. It was really more of a hill now that she thought of it. A big hill in the shadow of taller mountains on a flat grassland plain. "Why do they call it ‘Demon’s Rest’?”

Nathan took another drink of his coffee. “My people tell something of an old ghost story about it. They say that long ago a monster they called ‘the Bagorah’, meaning ‘the Screaming One’, appeared in the skies over our homes. It was a devilish, winged creature that swooped down in the night and ate every animal and person it found until it was full to bursting. Then it went to sleep, where that mountain now stands.”

He paused and turned from the window to his guest. “The story goes that our ancestors had a meeting while the monster slept. Since no spear or arrow could harm it, they decided to bury it beneath rocks and dirt from the tall mountains on either side of it. So they climbed up those mountains, trying to go quietly so as not to awaken the beast, and then they triggered avalanches that buried the monster as it slept. Supposedly, it’s still sleeping under that little mountain they made to this day.”

“That’s an interesting story.” Dr. Hannah said.

“Yes, a very fun ghost story like I said. But it’s just a story.” He grinned widely at her, showing that he was missing a couple of teeth. “Then again, now that a monster came out of the ocean and attacked New York, who’s to say?”

“All the grown ups here know the story of this great country. The kids probably don’t know. It’s been stripped from their politically correct schools and the biased news media. So let me tell it for them.”

The big man dressed in military camouflage with gray hair poking out from under a black ball cap looked around the old barn at the people gathered. Some of the men were dressed in military style clothing as he was. Many were just in t-shirts with the sleeves torn off and blue jeans. The attire of the women varied, some of it very conservative with long dresses and some of it considerably short and low cut. The children all looked as if they were the children of ordinary parents, from the babies in diapers to the little girls in shirts with Disney princesses and the boys with Marvel characters. The teenage boys though he had made sure got their own uniforms like the one he wore. He knew it would make them feel powerful and important and John Doss believed in his heart that for boys to become real men they had to be properly cultivated.

“People came to this country looking for the freedom to worship the one true God.” He said. “They found an endless wilderness populated by savages and they took charge of the land. They built a country out of nothingness with their sweat, their tears, and of course, their blood. When foreign kings demanded taxes and infringed on their freedoms brave, wise men stood up and fought for independence, and a bold new nation was born-a nation for people like us. Over the years though, what this country was about became forgotten, and not by accident. New people came into this country that didn’t understand our ways or our values. They couldn’t take it by force so they sought to pervert it, to change it, to make it different from what it was supposed to be. We’ve had to work and fight hard to take this country back and our people have suffered much. Now, just as we were at the cusp of making it great once more, those sinister forces have become desperate.”

He paced around the room, looking to each of his New Sons of Liberty as he spoke.

“You all know what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the actions they took to try and defeat our President. I’m talking about what they’re hiding in that so called Containment Zone. You all know to do your own research. You know what I’m talking about, right?”

A thunderous chorus of agreement echoed from the adults, the teenagers, and some of the children.

“Well now, it’s time to put a stake in their hearts.” Doss said with a smile. “Our man on the inside is ready, and we are going to rip the wall down and show the world something that will change it forever.”

“So,” Colonel Porter said, sitting while Dr. Yamane reviewed a clipboard full of papers and other scientists looked at various screens and gadgets in the operations room of the Containment Zone, “what’s your story? What is it that made you want to study Godzilla?”

“My grandfather was the scientist who first described Godzilla to the world in the 1950s.” Dr. Yamane replied without looking up. “After that, my father, his adopted son, followed in his footsteps. I suppose now I’ve done the same.”

“Sort of carrying on the family business?” The military officer observed.

“Something like that.” Dr. Yamane mused. “My grandfather believed there was an enormous amount we could learn from studying Godzilla. For my father though, it was a different motivation that drove him. Godzilla killed his biological parents, so he believed that by studying Godzilla we could save lives if he or something else like him ever returned.”

“And what’s it to you?”

“Something in between I suppose.”

Suddenly the scientist began flipping back and forth very rapidly through the papers on his clipboard.

“Something wrong?” Colonel Porter asked.

Dr. Yamane didn’t answer him right away. Instead he looked out the massive window at the still, apparently lifeless form of Godzilla surrounded by the circular wall.

“I hope not.” He finally said.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 3: Revelations

There’s a secret war raging in this country.

It’s a war between patriots trying to save our nation and those in a conspiracy to undo it. It’s raging now and it’s been raging for decades. Every failure this country has seen has been the result of their knife in our back.

Remember the four horsemen. The first is War and he is riding in secret. Soon though, we will reveal him in full. Maybe as soon as the campaign kickoff for President Dale in Miami.

The hour is at hand.

-Z

“We are at war!” John Doss thundered into the camera. “A secret war committed by those in a conspiracy against this country. We didn’t start it, but we patriots will finish it! We have been forced to take matters into our own hands and there will be blood shed! The Tree of Liberty will be watered again, with the blood of both patriots and tyrants!”

Mitch Walter, Deputy Director of the FBI, stopped the video and turned to his agents, Foxx and Anderson.

“This tape is just the latest and most blatant threat that Doss has made and it’s increasingly looking like he might be targeting the Containment Zone, based on the online chatter.” He said grimly, passing the two agents a file full of printouts. “It comes right on the heels of the latest ‘prophecy’ from our friend Z too, so it’s looking more and more like some sort of terrorist attack is in the works.”

“Z’s definitely trying to incite violence.” Anderson said, reading the mysterious internet denizen’s latest posting. “Looks like Doss was listening.”

“Have either of you considered that Doss and ‘Z’ could very well be the same person?” Director Walter asked.

“There’s no evidence to support that, but it is a possibility.” Foxx replied. “The truth is though that Z could be anyone. Could be a terrorist like Doss, could be some crazy person, could be just a kid on the internet having some fun, or as bad as this sounds it could actually be someone in the government or in our politics deliberately putting this out there. The list of possibilities are endless.”

Directer Walter massaged his balding scalp as if in pain. “Well, that said, the lead scientist at the Containment Zone has ordered extra security measures to be taken. They’ve doubled security there in the last twelve hours alone.”

“What are the risks coming from a possible attack on the Containment Zone sir?” Anderson asked. “Besides the obvious loss of life that is. Godzilla’s dead, isn’t he?”

Foxx looked from his partner to his boss worriedly.

“Our main concern here is exposure from radiation and what kind of disaster that could unleash.” Walter sighed. “Godzilla himself is, according to the researchers and military officers working at the Containment Zone, just a corpse now. That doesn’t mean the danger that thing poses has passed though. Apparently the radiation left behind in his attacks has dissipated surprisingly quickly, but the radiation coming directly from his body is another matter altogether. That’s why all these people buying into what Z is posting on the internet is so concerning. These idiots are playing with fire and they could very well burn us all.”

Dr. Yamane was still pouring frantically over the data gathered on Godzilla as other scientists and their assistants were working quickly at their computers in the vast room with the enormous window that looked out over the fallen body of Godzilla. Colonel Porter looked around, exasperated. He was a man used to people answering when he demanded them to, but here his questions were falling on apparently deaf ears and he was left wondering what exactly was going on.

“Would someone please enlighten me as to what’s the matter here?” He fumed.

“Not until we are certain Colonel.” Dr. Yamane replied quickly, not even looking up at him.

“Dr. Yamane, it’s ready.” One of the other scientists called.

Colonel Porter followed the scientist to the screen where a series of green lines waited for them. Then, all at once, the lines went from flat and steady to taking on the look of jagged mountains and canyons, and then back again. Moments passed with everyone silent, no one so much as breathing for all anyone could tell, and then it happened again.

“What am I looking at?” Colonel Porter asked, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

“Essentially an EKG.” Dr. Yamane told him, his voice heavy with the weight of the implications.

“EKG?…You mean that’s a…”

“A heartbeat.” Dr. Yamane breathed.

“You mean that damn thing is alive!” Colonel Porter practically roared, pointing at the fallen monster in the crater surrounded by the wall they were standing inside of. “How could you not have noticed this sooner?”

“The data shows long periods of time without a recorded heart beat.” Dr. Yamane said, seemingly more to himself than to the colonel. “But slowly, they’ve been increasing in frequency until returning close to what I must assume is normal for this animal. I don’t understand how yet, but it seems as if Godzilla has been slowly coming back from the dead.”

“We’ve got to do something!” Porter thundered. “If that thing wakes up…”

“I agree Colonel.” Dr. Yamane said immediately. “Tell the necessary authorities and let them make a decision. I’ve already insisted on extra security here based on the threats being made agains this facility. Now it seems we must take additional measures. The decision as to what must be done here though cannot be made by us alone.”

“What if that thing wakes up between now and the course of folks in Washington getting their heads out of their asses?” The colonel growled.

“The cables draped over Godzilla’s body are capable of delivering an enormous electric shock, one powerful enough to kill a large herd of elephants at least a thousand times over. If something happens, I’ll pull the switch.”

Dr. Yamane nodded to the large red lever that looked very much like a fire alarm on the adjacent wall.

“And if that doesn’t work?”

“Then we may not even have a prayer, Colonel.”

“Oh please, oh please, oh please don’t let the cops be called.” Michael muttered to himself as he sat in his boss’s office. He knew all too well the list of things he had done that his boss might have found out about and was trying his best not to visibly sweat and shake. His employer came in and sat across from him, looking over some notes.

“So, Michael,” the tubby middle-aged bald man said as he peered at his employee over his glasses, “do you have any idea why I might have called you in here?”

Michael shook his head but said nothing as he ran through the reasons why he might be in trouble in his mind.

His boss looked at him for what felt like an eternity before he spoke again. “Two reasons. First, money has been coming up missing from the register. Each night it did, you were running it.”

Michael’s face stayed blank as far as his employer could tell.

“The other reason is that some of your coworkers have complained about you, all of them women. Do you want me to elaborate on that?”

Again Michael shook his head and remained silent.

“Look, Michael, this is clearly not working out. Now I’m going to be lenient with you and not involve the police over these matters, and I think you know exactly what you did.”

Michael felt like he wanted to die. He was talking to him as if he were a child, and in that moment he felt small and weak just has he had for most of his life.

“You’re fired Michael. You can pick up your last pay check next Friday. Other than that, it’s probably best that you don’t come in back here again, understand?”

Michael nodded meekly, struggling to swallow. Dismissed, he got up, took off his name tag, and left, exiting the building as quickly as he could. Then, as he hurried down the sidewalk, he began to seethe as rage overtook him. For Michael it felt like a transformation was taking place, the old shell being discarded and that which he dreamed of being emerging from within it, changed forever.

St. Augustine, Florida.

Ashley Grimm sat in her car as it rained, waiting outside the Dollar General she was supposed to pick her sister up at. It had been several years since she had even seen her Sarah, her older sister, but now they were finally going to get the chance to catch up. They’d been close growing up but had made different choices once they reached adulthood. Sarah had gone briefly into the military, and when that hadn’t worked out she’d enrolled in a community college, and when that hadn’t worked out she’d gotten engaged, and when that hadn’t worked out she’d just kind of kept to herself. Ashley meanwhile was in her third year at a university and was doing well academically. She was single and didn’t get much time to herself with exams and research papers, but she was happy with where life was taking her. She had her own place at least and her life felt like it was going somewhere. More than that, she was happy for the chance to catch up and reconnect with the big sister who had caught fire flies with her in their yard, stayed up late scaring her with ghost stories, defended her from the school bully, and who had always been there for her with love and support.

She worried though. There was something off between Sarah and her parents now. She didn’t know what it was. No one had said anything. She could just sense it. It was in the way her parents talked about their oldest daughter now. Or rather, the way they didn’t. In fact, their parents seemed to go to great lengths to change the subject as quickly as possible whenever Sarah’s name came up. It was as if they were uncomfortable discussing Ashley’s only sibling now.

A tap at the window snapped her out of her thoughts and she unlocked the door for her sister. She looked good, Ashley thought, as she climbed into the vehicle. Other than being wet from the rain that was. Otherwise she looked more or less the same. Same casual taste in dress. Same general features if aged just slightly in the last few years. She was pretty. Sarah had always been pretty. So much so that Ashley had always been a little jealous of her. The two of them squealed with delight and hugged each other tight, and then and there Ashley decided that everything was fine and that they were going to have fun just like old times.

“How have you been?” Sarah asked as Ashley put the car she’d been given by their parents into gear and pulled out onto the street. “Breaking hearts on campus?”

“I wish.” Ashley snorted. “I don’t have time for that with all the studying. My dates these days are books.”

For a moment, a strange silence settled into the car.

“They’re not…teaching you anything weird are they?” Sarah asked carefully.

“Just some really weird advanced math I don’t always understand.” Her sister replied, a little surprised by the question.

“Oh good, so there’s no indoctrination or anything like that on this campus?”

Ashley looked at her sister, confused by what she was asking her. As she did, she realized that there was something different about Sarah after all. It was hard to explain. Her smile was wider, almost if it were artificial. And her eyes were different. They looked as if they were opened as wide as they could go. The whole expression was, Ashley realized, off putting.

“Umm, no…?” She finally answered back, hoping this was some kind of joke.

“That’s good.” Sarah replied, smiling broadly. “Just remember, you’re a smart girl raised with good values, so don’t let them sell you on anything you know better than to buy into.”

Ashley drove in silence after that, listening as the radio played on the low volume she’d set it to and her sister carried on about work and life and men she’d been dating and other rather routine bits of news and gossip that normally she’d be all too eager to hear. Something was wrong though. She couldn’t put her finger on it but something was very wrong about the way her sister was acting.

“Researchers at the Containment Zone in New York have just announced that they have scheduled a press conference to discuss recent findings related to Godzilla.” The radio announced.

Sarah suddenly snapped to attention and turned the radio up.

“No word yet on what they will be announcing but officials are stressing it is a matter of great national security.”

“You don’t believe any of that do you?” Sarah asked, turning to her sister.

“What do you mean?”

“About Godzilla. Monsters aren’t real you know. The supposed attack on New York was a big hoax. It’s impossible for it to have been a monster. That’s just what they want you to believe.”

The earth was shaking.

Dr. Hannah and Nathan had been parting ways after their conversation in Nathan’s trailer when it had suddenly begun. The chickens scattered. The dogs had fled. Dr. Hannah stumbled and fell. Nathan rushed to help her only to fall himself. Then, the two heard the sound of rocks falling and looked to the distance, to Demon’s Rest.

The mountain was coming apart, rocks falling and crushing the gas wells below as a massive crack formed, splitting the crag down the middle. Gaseous fumes seeped out from within, the hissing sounding like a den of snakes emerging from inside. Then, as the two of them watched, they could see something within the crumbling rock, a form like something out of a nightmare.

From within the mountain, a round, reddish brown face stared out at the world bathing in the light of the setting sun. Green, hungry eyes flashed above a wicked, fang-lined smile. The jaws parted, breathing out a menacing, almost gleeful sounding hiss. The cliffs of the mountain weren’t just crumbling now, they were moving outward, parting as if they were a massive door making way for the creature emerging out from under the falling rocks and dirt. Dr. Hannah stared at it, wide-eyed as she saw what looked like pointed horns appear on both sides of that frightening, demonic face. No, not horns. They were ears. Pointed, massive ears.

The full body of the thing was coming into view. A thin, almost emaciated looking body covered in reddish scales. Leathery skinned legs crouched in a bird-like perching position, ending in massive, sickle-shaped claws. From the neck, folds of skin hung to form a turkey-like waddle of rubbery looking flesh. Dr. Hannah could see why the mountain seemed to be opening up now. The slopes of its sides were being pushed out by the limbs of the monster. Then, as she watched the rocks falling away, she realized what she was looking at were a pair of enormous black wings. The monster had been encased in the mountain, folded in the leathery wings of a bat.

The creature extended its wings outward, stretching them a span of what Dr. Hannah estimated had to be at least eight hundred feet. It’s back and legs stretched, bringing the creature to a height of what was surely almost three hundred feet tall. The smile on the creature’s face only seemed to widen as its jaws parted and it let loose a bone chilling scream, announcing its return to the world. It flapped its great black wings and the powerful winds they created made the trees sway. Then the monster rose into the air, a long reptilian tail unfurling as it did, and flew up, passing overhead and then off into the distance.

“Bagorah!” Nathan breathed.

Dr. Hannah turned to him, struggling to her feet and then trying to help the shaking man to his. He turned to look at her, pale and wide-eyed.

“Bagorah is real!”

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 4: Awake

The time has come.

WAKE UP

Look around you. The world is run by corrupt fools and leaches, parasites feeding on the work of the worthy and good. This is unsustainable. Disaster will surely come if nothing is done. It is time to RISE.

The hour is here. We on the inside support you and are striking now at the enemies, seen and unseen alike. Now is the time! Join us! Take up your arms! Mow down the armies of evil threatening our nation! Butcher the butchers as they would do unto you! This nation is overdue its baptism and we must baptize it in the blood of the wicked, the unjust, the parasites, the thieves, and all those who profit off our labor and grind our faces into dirt under their heels!

Open your eyes! Let he who has ears hear! Let he who would know truly know!

This is the call to arms for all the good and righteous of this land!

WAKE UP!!!

Z is calling you! The hour has come!

Dr. Hannah and Nathan scrambled into Nathan’s trailer, both terribly shaken by what they had just witnessed. Nathan seemed on the verge of a panic attack and Dr. Hannah felt as if she probably wasn’t far behind him. She tried to think, to approach what she had just seen rationally, but what she had witnessed was just too horrific to fully wrap her mind around so soon after the initial shock.

“Bagorah!” Nathan muttered. “That was Bagorah!"

“I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself!” Dr. Hannah exclaimed. “A giant bat!”

But the creature had scales, her memory whispered to her. Reptiles have scales. And as far as she knew there were no long-tailed bats. She shook her head, realizing that now wasn’t the time to try and make sense of what the creature was and where it had come from. They had to warn people.

“Nathan, tell me more about Bagorah.” She said. “You said that it ate people in the legend?”

Nathan collected himself and nodded. “An elder told me the story when I was a child. She said it came in the night and ‘devoured all flesh’.”

“Then we have to warn people! That thing’s a danger to everyone in the state, maybe the whole country!”

Nathan sighed. “Do you really think they’ll believe us before people start dying?”

Vicky looked out the window as night crept over the countryside and realized that soon enough asking that question would be entirely pointless.

Keith Packard sat in the living room of the old farm house, smoking his cigarette and watching TV as his wife washed the dishes in the kitchen. Keith raised cattle. Always had and planned to until he dropped dead. His wife, Maeve, was a housewife. Always was and always would be. Such was life they figured. It was a simple enough one too, and that was more or less how they liked it. Sure they both had given up on things they’d wanted when they were younger, but again, such was life. The life they lived was all they’d known and whatever gripes one or the other might have neither knew how to escape the comfort of familiarity.

Keith’s ears perked and he turned down the TV. The cattle were upset, their frantic bellowing impossible to mistake for anything else. He jumped up, realizing there must be some sort of predator spooking the herd, and grabbed his shot gun and a flashlight as he headed through the kitchen to the back door.

“What’s going on?” Maeve called after him, dish and towel in hand.

“Cows are upset.” He said back. “I’m going to check it out.”

As the old farmer stepped out onto the back step he peered out into the darkness. Just beyond the faint, bluish light that shown from the bulb on the back of their old house lay the pasture where he could hear the scared cries of the cattle coming from somewhere in the night. Then, as he stepped down onto the grass of the yard, a tremendous wind kicked up, making trees sway. Keith put his hand up to shield his face, blinking and surprised by the sudden gale, and then felt the earth shake slightly. It wasn’t much of a tremor, not so much as to knock him down or anything, but its sudden force was shocking nonetheless.

“What the hell?” He muttered to himself, walking out of the yard and down the dirt road that ran alongside the pasture. He flicked on his flashlight as he advanced into the darkness. The herd had gone silent, and now all he could hear was a strange sound, like a combination of smacking and crunching. He pointed his light out into the pasture, and his eyes grew wide.

There in the dark was a great, leathery, black mass. Keith moved his flashlight across and then up it, stunned by both its width and height. It was moving slightly as he studied it, ever so slightly and rhythmically. From behind it, he could hear those smacking and crunching sounds, and as his light traced it up to the high arches at the strange thing’s top he gawked at just how massive this mysterious object was. Then the great black thing began to part, and the true horror of what he was looking at became apparent.

Within the confines of the parting black thing the grass illuminated by his light was stained red. All about the ground were the severed limbs, heads, and the occasional tail or torn piece of hide of his cattle. Then, above the grizzly scene, something truly terrifying rose up and leered down at him. Keith’s jaw gaped. His eyes opened as wide as they could possibly go. A towering shadow loomed over him, green light reflecting from two frightening eyes. A low hiss sounded from above as the thing looked down at him, and Keith thought he sensed something in that hiss that froze him to his very soul.

Hunger.

Maeve Packard heard the gunshot and the scream and immediately dropped the dish in the sink and ran outside.

“Keith!” She called into the darkness.

No answer.

“Keith! What is it!? What’s wrong!?”

Still no answer.

Maeve stood there on the step, frozen in place, listening. She had thought she’d felt a tremor earlier but had ignored it. Maybe, she thought, she should have stepped outside then. But what could she have done, she reasoned. Then, as she stood there waiting for her husband’s answer she heard something out there in the dark. It was a strange sound, like nothing she had ever heard on the farm before. It sounded, to her mind, as if something very large was trying to move very, very quietly. Then, she noticed that the shadows of the night were moving and taking shape.

Slowly, an enormous creature, far larger than the little farm house she lived in, crept out of the darkness towards Maeve. To the old housewife it looked like the Devil himself, with its fanged grin, huge ears, and hungry green eyes staring down at her. It walked on two wings folded at its side and two huge clawed feet tucked under them, moving like she had once seen a little bat creep along the wall of an old barn. Its jaws parted, a hiss escaping them, and torrents of saliva poured from between its fangs.

Maeve screamed and ran into the house, slamming the door behind her and rushing to the living room. Before she realized what had happened though there was a great gust of wind and the sound of splintering wood, then Maeve crashed hard to the hardwood floor of what had been her home. She turned and looked up, finding that half of her house had been ripped away above her, exposing the interior to the stars and Maeve to the monster that held much of her house in its jaws.

The creature spat the remnants of the roof and walls out to the side and looked down at the cornered woman, its great wings straddling both sides of the destroyed building. Maeve screamed up at it, louder and longer than she had ever screamed in her life. The creature’s jaws parted. Its neck and head snapped forward. And then the screaming stopped.

Bagorah rose from the wreckage of the Packard’s farm house and smacked his jaws together, flicking his long tongue about. He had seen countless of the little structures on his flight here but had not understood then that they contained little morsels of food. He would have to open more of them up and see what tasty surprises were hidden inside.

Slowly, the winged nightmare turned his head and looked to the horizon. There were lots of little lights in that direction. In passing, he had seen lots of the little structures there too. That, he decided, would be his next hunting ground.

With great flaps of his wings Bagorah rose into the air, headed for the doomed town in his sights. It had been a long time since Bagorah had eaten, and the monster was due a feast.

Adam’s mother had left the food on the desk just as she always did, prepared just like he liked it, right down to the crust cut off the bread. He had to have the crust cut off the bread. As he lay there on his bed in the room he’d occupied all his life he lit up the joint he’d just rolled and took a long drag off of it. Weed helped keep the darker voices that spoke to him under control. It also cured deadly diseases, healed wounds, helped repair teeth, and helped you speak with higher powers. Big Pharma of course didn’t want anyone to know this though. His Medicine Man clothing was resting in a corner as he relaxed in a t-shirt and a pair of gym shorts. Even holy men needed to get comfortable once in awhile after all.

“Adam! Adam, come quick! You’ll want to see this!”

The Medicine Man sprang from his bed and sprinted out to find what his mother was calling for. Mrs. Bogart was sitting in her recliner, wearing her robe and enjoying a little wine before bed. She pointed to the TV, where the news was covering some sort of press conference.

“It’s about Godzilla.” She said.

“Yeah,” Adam chuckled, putting his fingers up in air quotes, “‘Godzilla!’”

“Again, let me repeat that.” the gray haired military man at the podium on the TV said, “We have confirmed Godzilla has a heart beat and is alive. At this time, we are extending the area encompassed by the Containment Zone as we work to figure out how to address this situation. Again, we are extending the Containment Zone for the safety of the public.”

“That’s a crock of shit!” Adam blurted out angrily.

“Honey, don’t swear.” His mother chastised him.

“Well it is mom! They’re hiding something from us and now that we’re so close to finding it out! It’s not right how they’re taking people’s property and keeping the people that live there out of their homes! Or how they’re lying to us like this!”

“I know sweetie. I’m glad you’re so passionate.”

Mrs. Bogart narrowed her eyes behind her glasses at the screen. The military man had yielded the podium to someone else.

“What’s that Asian fellow doing there?” She asked. “That’s curious. You’d think they’d have an American.”

“I want to stress that there is still much we don’t know.” Dr. Yamane said as he looked out at the reporters and addressed the world as a whole. “What we can say is that Godzilla’s heart rate has been documented to have steadily increased and is now beating regularly. So far though, there are no signs of consciousness in the creature. As we are not yet sure how to best address this situation yet, we are taking additional measures to protect civilians from the danger.”

“Ridiculous.” Adam snorted, heading back to his room. There he found the mystic door he had seen before appearing in the air before him. Of course it would be here now. He should have known. It was time. He reached out with his mind and opened it, and in his astral body stepped through.

In the world his mind now entered, there was no light, no solid substance, no matter. All around him, strange creatures hovered in the air, tentacled things with multiple wings and blazing eyes. These were angels he realized. Real angels; not the kind you see in kid’s books. They were terrifying, but he knew a Medicine Man must have no fear. He looked past them; past them to the truth. He could feel the evil creeping over the world, threatening this land with lies and sinister motivations. Then he saw the sign, the bright light of God forming in a message, taking the shape of a single letter, the letter Z.

Adam extended his arms and prayed, wide awake to the true reality.

“I’m sorry Senator Bowen,” Jason Pike said into the phone, “but the President is sleeping at the moment.”

“Damn it Pike!” The senator roared into the receiver. “How the hell can he be sleeping at a time like this!? We need to know what we’re going to do about this situation!”

“I assure you, Senator,” Pike said, his voice frighteningly calm, “the President is aware of the situation and we will be taking steps to address it.”

“What do you mean ‘we’ Pike? You’re nothing but a fucking speech writer and it’s time you remembered that! Now I want to speak with someone in the White House higher up than you and I don’t care if that means the fucking head janitor or the lady in charge of the maids, you put me in touch with someone whose authority doesn’t exist solely in their head!”

Pike bristled but worked to keep his composure. “I’ll be glad to connect you with someone else Senator. Please hold for a moment while I get someone for you.”

He put the senator on hold before he could snap something back. As far as he was concerned, Bowen could rot on that line. He’d have to think up a way to deal with him, politically, at a later point.

Pike folded his hands and pressed his lips against them, thinking. Godzilla being alive was a major wrinkle in his plans. He had calculated that, given time, enough people would forget what really happened when Godzilla had attacked New York. People always forgot. The past, their memories; all of it was as moldable as clay. Fear though was a powerful thing, and as much as Pike and his associates used fear for their own political machinations they realized that it could work just as easily for the other side. More and more, an election was looking like a bad idea, something his instincts had told him even before this moment. As it stood, Dale, the last hope for the restoration of the country that Pike hoped for, would lose and the country would continue to head down a path that to Pike was unfathomable.

Still, there were other forces at work in the country right now, and Pike knew that democracy was as fragile as it was misguided.

Chaos surrounded the Containment Zone. The people being pushed further back from the fences they’d been protesting and camped out by were near rioting, refusing to believe that what they were being told was true. On the ground, soldiers were doing their best to manage the situation while Dr. Yamane and Colonel Porter had to be brought back to the facility by helicopter.

“I don’t know what those people think we’re putting in the water,” Colonel Porter shouted over the roar of helicopter blades as the aircraft rose back into the air after dispatching them, “but maybe we ought to actually give it a try. Might mellow them out a bit.”

Dr. Yamane smirked. The colonel was growing on him, especially with his ability to use sarcasm and wit in the face of such a concerning crisis as the one they now faced.

“Sir!” A soldier waiting for them exclaimed, saluting as they approached.

“Jeffers, right?” Colonel Porter said, recognizing the guard that he had often seen at the gate.

“Yes sir.” The officer replied. “Was ordered to escort you both to the observation room.”

“I don’t see the need.” Colonel Porter replied, this being the first he had heard of it.

“Extra security precaution, sir.”

“Alright, alright. Glad to have your company son.”

The three of them went along, the young soldier holding his weapon at the ready. Dr. Yamane eyed it, suddenly realizing just how serious the threats to the security of the facility had become. It wasn’t long before they’d made it inside and not much longer than that until they made it to the observation room with the massive window that looked out over the fallen, bound Godzilla. Colonel Porter and Dr. Yamane went about their business, the colonel dismissing their guard and the scientist going to check the latest data.

Then gunfire rang out.

People in the observation room screamed and dove to the floor. The sound of breaking glass rivaled the gun fire for their attention as the window shattered and fell away. Dr. Yamane ducked under a desk. Colonel Porter turned to see where the fire was coming from as he sought shelter, his eyes widening in both surprise and fury as he did.

“Jeffers! What the hell do you think you’re doing!?”

“I suggest you stay down sir!” The armed soldier shouted, pointing his assault rifle at his superior. “No one has to die here today!”

“What do you want?” Dr. Yamane demanded, rising slowly with his hands in the air.

“Stay down Yamane!” Porter thundered.

“Quiet Colonel!” Jeffers snapped. “I want the truth!”

“The truth?” Dr. Yamane asked, puzzled.

“About what’s really going on here! What is this really all about!?”

“You idiot!” Porter spat. “You know exactly what it’s about! The whole world knows what it’s about! You can look out and see that damn big lizard with your own two eyes!”

Jeffers shook his head. “I’ve read up on this place.” He said. “I know it’s not what it seems. I’m tired of being a pawn in lies like this!”

“The bastard’s been radicalized!” Porter snarled. “Everyone stay down!”

The colonel knew this was bad. Security was stressed to the max dealing with the people outside that refused to be budged. If this lunatic decided to kill them all there was no one that could arrive in time to stop it. Then, to his horror, he realized what Jeffers was inching his way closer to.

“Step away from that wall son.” Colonel Porter said, trying to sound as calming and reassuring as possible. “You don’t want to do what I think you’re about to do.”

“Yes I do Colonel.” Jeffers said, reaching for the switch connected to the electric cables binding Godzilla.

“No, don’t!” Dr. Yamane shouted.

“One way or another,” Jeffers replied, his hand gripping the switch, “the truth is going to come out! I do this for the Sons of Liberty and for Z!”

Porter shouted as the switch was pulled. Whatever he said though was drowned out from the sounds of sparks and humming electrical equipment outside. In the center of the vast circular wall, millions of volts of electricity were surging through Godzilla’s body. Sparks flew from the cables. Smoke rose all around the sleeping creature. And then, from within the smoke and sparks, a roar came.

Everyone inside looked on in horror, even Jeffers whose hand was still on the switch. Before them, a massive, dark form was rising out of the smoke, pulling at the cables that bound it and sent pain coursing through its body. An open, blazing eye passed briefly by their view as the monster rose up, standing higher and higher, claws tearing at the cables. Again that booming roar sounded as the cables fell away, and then they saw the body of the great beast begin to turn in their direction.

“Everyone!” Dr. Yamane shouted. “To the bunkers! Now!”

Colonel Porter and Yamane’s fellow scientists followed as quickly as they could. Todd Jeffers, however, stood where he was. He hadn’t been sure what would happen when he pulled the switch. He just wanted to know the truth. Now the truth was taking thundering steps in his direction and he was frozen in its path. Godzilla’s body collided with the wall of the Containment Zone and huge concrete slabs came crushing down on Jeffers just before the floor fell out from beneath his feet.

Godzilla roared in anger, towering over the wall as he tore his way through it. The peace of his slumber had been interrupted by the painful shocks and this obstacle in his path only compounded his fury. None of this though would slow the atomic monster in the least. In no time, he had torn through the wall as easily as he had broken through the cables, and now he began his march towards the south.

From far away the soldiers and protestors at the fences could see the giant monster stalking towards them and hear his roar and the thunder of his footfall. People who had doubted the existence of the beast just seconds ago screamed and trampled one another in terror, scrambling to get out of Godzilla’s way. It had been six months since the horror Godzilla had visited on New York. For the foolish that had been enough time to forget their fear and let doubt and wishful thinking cloud their minds. Now though, Godzilla had returned to remind them of what true terror was.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 5: Conflict

We are at war.

In war, the enemy will do desperate things, especially when they are losing.

You shouldn’t be surprised that they are making wild claims to try and scare you and manipulate you.

Don’t believe what you see.

Think of all that can be done with computers now, with mind altering chemicals, with robotics, and holograms.

It will get worse before it gets better but stay strong.

I promise we will win and take our country back.

Our Savior is coming soon. Judgment Day is scheduled. All will be revealed and a better future is ahead where the wicked are punished. Wait and see in Miami.

The date is already on the calendar.

Don’t be afraid of the fight.

-Z

“I can’t believe one of our own was one of those freaks!” Colonel Porter fumed as he and Dr. Yamane entered the tent with the other military officers.

“I understand your concern Colonel.” Dr. Yamane said. “But we have bigger problems right now.”

Everyone except the fool responsible for their current predicament had escaped the observation room and had been able to reach shelter. It had not taken long for the danger to pass and for them to emerge. Now, the sun shining in the early hours of the morning, the two of them had rushed to monitor the situation as it was unfolding.

Dr. Yamane looked at the laptop that had been set up for him, streaming the news footage of Godzilla marching south back towards New York City. The monster’s pace was slow and steady, not the charge of a beast on a rampage but the deliberate stride of an animal on the move. Dr. Yamane had watched endless footage of Godzilla’s past attacks on Tokyo and his attack on New York. This seemed different.

What’s more, the creature himself had changed since his last rampage. Then, the monster had been super charged by a nuclear blast, and while he still towered at a massive one hundred meters tall his appearance had been altered in his last six months of rest. After his further mutation, Godzilla’s skin had appeared cracked and bleeding, with steam rising from within those glowing gashes as if from a furnace. Now his charcoal gray skin was healed and intact. The eyes had changed too. No longer were they the dead white color they had been previously. They blazed with fury but the irises were easily visible. As he looked at the footage of Godzilla’s march Dr. Yamane had to wonder if the fusion reactor they had used against him previously somehow healed their terrible foe. Or was there something else at work here?

“Alright, I just found out evacuations are underway.” Colonel Porter told him as he came to his side. “Any advice on how best to take him down, Doctor?”

“My advice is not to engage Godzilla, Colonel.” Dr. Yamane said, not taking his eyes off the screen.

“What?”

“Look at him. Godzilla is not on a furious rampage like he was last time. He seems to be returning to the sea on his own. Let’s try something. Let’s not provoke him and see if he leaves on his own accord. If I’m right, that alone may save countless lives.”

“Yeah and if you’re wrong it could doom us all.” Colonel Porter replied. “But I’ll report back that I think it’s worth a shot.”

The roar of jets on the screen told both men that there wouldn’t be a chance to relay Dr. Yamane’s advice. Missiles rained down on Godzilla from the jets and the saurian roared in response.

“Damn it, who ordered that!?” Colonel Porter snapped. “Haven’t they realized by now we can’t just throw weapons and men at that thing!? They’re just sending those pilots to their deaths!”

Blue flame burst from Godzilla’s maw and tore across the sky, lighting it with explosions, confirming the colonel’s analysis. Still more jets came, firing away in a futile attempt to kill the unstoppable titan.

Godzilla roared as they did, his fury echoing far beyond where the battle raged.

Pike was busy fielding phone calls and giving orders. With President Dale a broken man and so many essential staff having left, being incompetent, or lacking the trust of the president, the White House was basically his to run, even in a crisis he was in no way experienced in managing or tasked with handling.

As he relayed messages, assuring everyone that he was doing so both to and from President Dale, Pike was getting a sense of just how out of control the situation was becoming. Godzilla was on the rampage in New York, destroying fighter jets that “President Dale” had ordered dispatched to intercept him. Apparently the monster had been awoken by a rogue soldier, one connected both to the New Sons of Liberty and to Z by his own admission. That was a fact that Pike intended to make sure did not get out to the media for as long as he could help it. Both the militia group and the mysterious individual posting on the internet were aligned with and even popular among the president’s most devoted base voters. Then there were reports of a new, bat-like creature that had destroyed a town in Wyoming. “President Dale” had ordered an attack on that new monster right away, in hopes of keeping things from spiraling further out of control.

One thing was clear, the election absolutely could not proceed at this point. Dale would go down in flames if that happened. Pike had thought that contesting ballots and getting before a packed judiciary would be enough. Given the circumstances playing out, he was increasingly convinced that more drastic measures needed to be taken.

America needed its Caesar he reminded himself. The country was in crisis. If they were going to find a way to “postpone” the election, then now was the time. It would be a bloody fight, but all the great and noble empires of the past hadn’t been born in peace. That, he thought, was perfect inspiration for the speech he would write for the president to give in Miami.

Dr. Hannah and Nathan stopped on a hillside and got out of Dr. Hannah’s jeep. From the distant slope, they could see both the monster and the devastation it had caused from a great distance away.

“My God.” Dr. Hannah gasped, putting her hand to her mouth as she looked down at the town of Buffalo, Wyoming. Or rather, what was left of it.

In the night, Bagorah had visited a nightmare on the little town. Residents had awoken to the roofs being ripped of their houses, the last thing they saw being the face and hungry eyes of the giant bat monster before it lunged and devoured them. Those that had woken to the sounds of smashing roofs and screams had either tried to hide or flee, but it had been no use. Bagorah had found them and pursued those that tried to run through the streets. Some tried to protect themselves by firing their guns on the monster, but the bullets didn’t even faze the massive predator. In the sunlight, Buffalo looked as if a tornado had torn through it and the few thousand people that had lived there were mostly dead, the few survivors cowering in any place they could find to hide and dreading the return of nightfall.

At the edge of the town, Bagorah slept. The monster sat, hunched over with its eyes closed, breathing deeply and with its massive wings folded at its sides. Dr. Hannah had thought she had gotten a good look when the monster had emerged from its prison in Demon’s Rest, a moment that would haunt her dreams for the rest of her life, but now she could take in new details like the oddly long and muscular neck covered in scales with bristling hairs jutting out from between them. She racked her brain, trying to conceive how something like this had emerged from the natural course of evolution. Godzilla was supposed to be a mutation of some sort. Was this creature also such an abnormality?

Nathan was praying in his people’s language and gesturing with his hands.

“A prayer of banishment?” Dr. Hannah asked.

“No, a prayer to protect warriors.” He replied, pointing to direct her gaze.

Dr. Hannah noticed for the first time that tanks and soldiers were encircling the monster, surrounding it and preparing to fire. For a moment, she was hopeful, but then she remembered how poorly tanks and rocket fire had fared when Godzilla had attacked New York and a chill ran down her back.

Explosions sounded as the tanks and rocket launchers fired, accompanied by the sound of machine gun fire. The shells exploded against Bagorah’s body and wings, causing fire and smoke to rise as they hit. The monster woke up instantly, shrieking in confusion and turning its head from side to side, attempting to shield itself with its wings. For a moment Dr. Hannah thought it must be hurt but quickly she realized that the creature seemed more confused than injured. The attack had disturbed its sleep and long ago it wouldn’t have encountered anything like what it was experiencing. It was natural for it to be disoriented and alarmed, until it realized the explosions weren’t piercing its skin.

Suddenly Bagorah stood up straight and spread its wings wide. Its jaws parted and again it shrieked, louder than before. This time the shriek was more than a simple cry though. This long, shrill sound rang out, shattering glass in the wreckage of the town the monster had feasted on and dropping soldiers to the ground, clutching their heads and screaming in agony. Their world went silent as their eardrums burst and blurry as their eyes vibrated in their sockets. They clutched their chests as bubbles of air formed in their blood vessels and traveled to their hearts. In the far distance, Dr. Hannah and Nathan covered their ears and clenched their teeth, far enough away that the sonic scream wasn’t wreaking havoc on their bodies like it was those of the soldiers but still within enough range for the sound to hurt.

Then, the monster stopped.

They looked up, shaken by what they had just experienced. For a moment they thought the monster was about to feed on the fallen soldiers laying dead or writhing on the ground around it, but instead it tilted its head as if it were listening for something.

Bagorah turned and looked to the east, squinting in the sunlight it was unaccustomed to. To Dr. Hannah it seemed as if the monster was thinking; like something new had caught its attention. Was it the sun? Was it intrigued by the light it hadn’t seen in ages? Or was it something else? Then, with great flaps of its wings, the monster rose into the air and flew off into the distance.

“Where’s it going now?” Dr. Hannah asked aloud.

“FBI! Hands in the air!”

The order was answered with gunfire and the agents had to duck behind walls, trees, cars, and anything else they could find before shooting back.

Dust rose as bullets hit the ground and the air filled with the sounds of the guns and of the bullets ricocheting. It was only a minute or two, but it seemed to last a lifetime, ending only with the sounds of women screaming and children crying.

The agents rushed into the barn on the land the New Sons of Liberty had occupied as part of their base of operations. The raid had been in the plans for months but was being delayed for a more opportune time. Since one of their agents had awoken Godzilla though, the agency had decided they must act now to bring those responsible to justice.

“Jesus, it’s a fucking kid!” One of the agents shouted.

Foxx and Anderson made their way inside where they saw one of their assailants, a boy who couldn’t have been older than fifteen, bleeding out his chest and with blood bubbling out of his mouth as he looked up at them, wide-eyed and pale. One of the agents was tending to the wound, trying desperately to save the boy’s life. All around them, other teenage boys were standing with their hands in the air and others had collapsed on the ground, many of them crying and others clearly scared. Their guns lay around them and the agents worked fast to secure them. There was probably no need though, Anderson thought. It looked as if these kids had just realized the reality of the situation, and of life and death.

There were girls and women in the barn too. Screaming, crying, holding each other. “You killed him! You killed him! What’s wrong with you!?” One of the older women wailed, apparently oblivious or uncaring of the fact that the agents had been returning fire. But besides the women and kids, there was no one else here. Where were the men? Where was John Doss?

“We can’t find anyone else on the premises!” One of the agents said as they entered the barn.

“No one else in here either!” Another added.

Foxx looked worriedly to his partner. This wasn’t good, they realized. If Doss and the men that followed him weren’t accounted for then there was no telling what they could be planning next.

“Get them all out of here.” Foxx said. “And get this kid to a hospital.”

He looked down at the boy bleeding in the dirt and hay and knew that he wasn’t going to make it. As the boy stared up at him, clinging to life with nothing but the fear keeping him present, it occurred to Foxx that he never thought he’d see the day when child soldiers were a reality on American soil. The country had recently seen a lot of things that weren’t supposed to happen here though. Foxx could only hope the endless stream of horrifying new realities would come to a stop.

“Oh my God!” Ashley said as she and her sister watched the scene from New York on the TV.

“I know! I can’t believe they’re doing this again!” Her sister replied.

Ashley turned to Sarah, wondering what she was talking about. Who was “they” and what were “they” doing? Godzilla was alive and rampaging again, apparently awakened by a terrorist attack. Were the terrorists the “they” her sister was talking about?

“What do you mean?” She asked, looking at Sarah with a perplexed expression.

“It’s another false flag!” Sarah snarled, clearly angry. “They’re faking this nonsense again!”

“Sarah…” Her sister began, hesitantly. “This is really happening. I know it’s hard to believe but you can see it right there on the screen for yourself.”

“It’s all CGI Ashley! Look, you can tell it’s fake! It’s just like last time!”

“Real people died in New York the last time Godzilla attacked!” Ashley snapped back, shocked by what she was hearing.

“Yeah, it was controlled explosions and a secret attack! They made up Godzilla to convince us that’s what happened! Ashley, don’t be fooled by the media.”

Sarah put her hand on her younger sister’s knee, as if she was the one confused and desperately in need of an intervention. It just made Ashley fume.

“So the attack on Tokyo was a hoax too?” She asked. “What about the first attack in the Fifties?”

“Yep.” Sarah said with confidence. “And they edit the history books to hide the real history from us.”

“Who the hell is ‘they’!?”

“You know. The people conspiring against this country. The people that want to control everything. Look, you can see people there looking out at the river! Clearly it’s a fake!”

Sarah shook her head. There were always stupid people that ran towards a fire or a tornado to see it rather than get to shelter. “What about the people in the news who talk about their experiences living through those attacks!?” She demanded.

“Just crisis actors.”

Ashley thought she might jump on her sister and pull all her hair out if this conversation kept up. Suddenly a shriek on the screen diverted her attention, and her eyes widened at what she was seeing.

A second monster, an enormous bat with a long tail streaming behind it, was circling over Godzilla, the two of them looking at one another as Godzilla waded in the Hudson River, the water splashing at his ankles between New York and Jersey City.

“Really! They expect us to believe that! It looks even more fake than Godzilla!” Sarah exclaimed, rolling her eyes.

“Sarah,” Ashley muttered, not taking her eyes off the screen, “just shut up.”

“What the hell is that thing!?” Colonel Porter asked as he watched the live stream of what was happening.

“I have no idea.” Dr. Yamane replied, almost under his breath as he watched the huge creature circling Godzilla like a buzzard.

“It’s huge!” Someone in the tent exclaimed.

“I didn’t think anything that big could fly!” Another added.

“What’s Godzilla going to do, Doctor?” Colonel Porter asked nervously.

“I suspect,” Dr. Yamane replied, “if this creature has come to attack him, he will act as aggressively with it as he does with our military weapons.”

“Oh God.” Porter muttered. “With two big cities on either side of them too.”

Godzilla snarled up at the giant bat-monster circling in the air above him and let out a low, deep roar as a warning. Bagorah hissed back, considering this creature that’s roar had caught his attention from many miles away. To the Screaming One’s mind, this looked like a much more satisfying meal than the little creatures it had fed on in the night. If he killed this beast it would be a long time before he’d have to hunt again. Bagorah’s mouth began to salivate and he made up his mind to attack.

Bagorah’s jaws parted and a loud shriek echoed out. Godzilla roared and staggered, shaking his head from the sudden assault on his senses. Bagorah wasted no time and swooped down, his scaled body slamming into Godzilla’s head, knocking him off balance and sending him crashing into the river as the bat monster passed overhead.

Godzilla got to his feet almost as soon as he had fallen, sneering up at the flying monster as it circled back to face him. He roared again, louder than before. If his attacker had a death wish, Godzilla wanted him to know that he was glad to grant it. Bagorah screamed back, and then light began to glow in the giant bat’s throat. Multiple beams of energy fired from the monster’s mouth, exploding against Godzilla as he roared. Then the two collided, Godzilla staggered back as the mass of Bagorah collided with his body and the voracious predator sunk its fangs into the flesh of Godzilla’s hand.

Godzilla shrieked as Bagorah’s fangs pierced his skin. Missiles and bombs had failed repeatedly to break through Godzilla’s thick hide, but Bagorah’s teeth sank right in. Godzilla’s crimson blood flowed, pouring into Bagorah’s mouth and between his teeth into the water below. Bagorah savored the taste, flapping his wings and slashing with his clawed feet to stay aloft and keep his prey off balance. Godzilla’s free claw slashed out, gripping Bagorah at the shoulder and holding his attacker tight. Godzilla was no one’s prey and he intended to let the big bat know as much.

Bagorah realized the danger too late. Godzilla’s dorsal plates were glowing and the titan possessed greater strength than the demon had imagined. In an instant, Godzilla had spun himself and Bagorah around, dislodging the bat monster’s jaws from his hand. Bagorah’s eyes widened as he saw the flame gathering in Godzilla’s mouth but had no time to react. Atomic fire spewed out, striking Bagorah squarely in the chest and propelling him backwards with a scream. The monster crashed into the water near Liberty State Park, smoke rising from his chest.

Godzilla roared, mocking and challenging his foe to rise up and continue their fight. Bagorah exploded up out of the water, shrieking as he did, but did not head towards Godzilla. He had had enough of the fight he had started and flew east into New York in search of easier prey.

Godzilla, however, wasn’t done with him yet.

People screamed as Bagorah flew over the streets and buildings, selecting the tallest building it could find overlooking New York’s financial district and perching atop it, its weight shattering windows as it did. Bagorah scanned the strange surroundings, wings hanging at his sides. He had never seen a place like this before, but food was plentiful here. The creature winced in pain as he turned his body, then arched his neck down to lick the wound seared into his chest by the strange blue fire the big creature had spat at him. He had not anticipated that it could have been so dangerous. His scales had shielded him from the full force of the blast, but nonetheless, the attack had still hurt. Rearing back up and taking in the tiny screams coming from below, Bagorah refocused his attention. He knew the little prey items were defenseless against him, and there were enough here to gorge on to match the meal he would have had from killing the big one.

A terrible roar caught Bagorah’s attention and he turned his head. Godzilla had followed him, his burning gaze fixed on the demon as he stalked between the buildings, heedless of what was in his way or under his feet. Bagorah spread his wings and let loose his sonic scream to defend himself. On the streets, people between the two monsters fell, writhing and dying as the sound affected their bodies and blades of glass from shattered windows shredded and impaled them. Godzilla roared and staggered, struggling to focus on his enemy. His spines glowed and he turned his head in the direction of Bagorah. Atomic fire shot out but Godzilla’s aim was compromised, missing his target and instead striking the building the winged demon was perched on. As the building broke apart and collapsed, Bagorah leapt into the air, leaving it to collapse to the streets below.

Bagorah turned and flew out over the ocean, headed to the south. He didn’t want to fight such a difficult adversary anymore. He needed to rest and heal, and then he could hunt for another place like this to satisfy his ravenous hunger. Godzilla roared after his enemy. The fight wasn’t finished as far as he was concerned. Bagorah had dared to attack him and now was fleeing a fight that he had started. In Godzilla’s mind, it was almost the equivalent of an insult. The ground shook and buildings crumbled as he charged after his enemy and dove into the water, a great wave surging out as he did. Godzilla sped out to sea after the fleeing monster, determined to settle matters between them in bloodshed.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 6: Terror

Did you see the show? Of course you did. THEY put on a wonderful little show just for YOU. Wasn’t it grand!? The animation? So convincing. The explosions? Masterful! The actors?…Okay, that part was subpar, LMAO!

Did you think they wouldn’t try this again? Of course they would! They know we’re getting close. The grand restoration of this country is at hand! The day of reckoning is coming where everyone who has kept you down and stolen your country from you will have their backs against the wall as the machine guns blaze. They’re trying to avoid their inevitable fate the only way they know how-through terror.

They use terror to control you. Terror to manipulate you. Terror to rule you.

Be not afraid.

Dale will address the country soon at a rally in Miami. Things will become clearer then.

We will strike back at them. We will prevail. That’s what they’re afraid of. Want to know how you can help? It’s simple…

Simply rise up and show them you are not afraid.

Strike terror into the hearts of our terrorists.

-Z

The room at the Pentagon was filled not just with military officials but with scientists. Since Godzilla’s last attack it had become apparent that a crisis such as this needed to be addressed not only by military minds, but by minds well trained in every thing from the working of nuclear energy to animal behavior. Now that two monsters were on the loose, the U.S. military was desperate to examine every possible means of destroying them.

Dr. Hannah couldn’t believe that one phone call telling what they’d seen of Bagorah had spiraled to this point. She and Nathan had ended up first in the Wyoming governor’s office, then on national news, and now, finally, they were sitting in the Pentagon, having been asked to offer whatever insights they could towards putting this new monster down. Dr. Hannah was a bit overwhelmed by it all and was surprised to find that Nathan seemed rather at ease. Then again, she reminded herself, he was an activist back in Wyoming. He was probably used to cameras and sitting in meeting rooms.

Dr. Yamane was asked to brief the room first.

“Let me begin by recounting the events at the Containment Zone.” He said, putting on his glasses and looking down at his notes. “Godzilla was awakened by the acts of a rogue soldier serving as a guard at the facility. This individual did so by activating the massive electric charge that we had put in place to try and stop Godzilla should the monster revive. Clearly, the shock not only failed to kill Godzilla but actually served to wake him.”

“I can confirm this.” Colonel Porter said quickly, sensing skepticism from some of the military brass. “The soldier name checked both the New Sons of Liberty and this Z thing on the internet. It seems that a bunch of domestic terrorists got a mole into the armed services.”

Worry fell on the faces of some of the military officers, each of them realizing that one such radicalized soldier almost certainly meant that there were more in their ranks.

“Following his awakening and escape from the Containment Zone,” Dr. Yamane continued, “Godzilla headed directly south.”

“To attack New York again?” A general asked.

“I don’t believe so.” The scientist replied. “Godzilla came from the sea. I believe he was simply returning to it. However, Godzilla was attacked, first by jets and then by the second monster. With Godzilla, it appears that his instinct when confronted is to attack rather than retreat.”

“This new monster, where did it come from?” Inquired one of the officials from the Department of Defense. “It seems to have come out of nowhere.”

“I believe,” Dr. Yamane said, taking off his glasses, “that we have some witnesses here who can explain that.”

He nodded, indicating Dr. Hannah and Nathan.

“My name is Nathan Deer.” Nathan said quickly. “Bagorah is a creature from the legends of my people. In the legends it came in the dark of night and fed upon everything that moved on the earth, until it was buried beneath a mountain.”

“Bagorah?” Someone asked. “Is that what we’re calling it now?”

“Bagorah seems to be as good a name as any.” Dr. Yamane interjected. “And I would advise everyone not to scoff. Godzilla himself was a legend among the island people before he proved to be real.”

“It came out of a mountain for sure.” Dr. Hannah added. “I can confirm that much.”

“And you are?” A man in a suit asked her.

“Dr. Vicky Hannah. I’m an ecologist working for the State of Wyoming. I was with Mr. Deer when the creature emerged out of a small mountain called Demon’s Rest. It appears that a nearby fracking operation woke it up.”

“What more can you tell us about it?” Dr. Yamane asked her directly.

“In the night, it attacked a small town. It was…” She hesitated. “It was eating people.”

Gasps and muttering filled the room.

“Eating people?” Colonel Porter asked, turning a shade of green. “I don’t think Godzilla ever did that did he?”

“No.” Dr. Yamane said hastily. “Godzilla seems to feed exclusively on radiation, as far as we can tell. But this may explain why it attacked Godzilla. It saw him as either a rival threatening its food supply or, perhaps, as a potential meal.”

“Yeah, well, Godzilla wasn’t too happy about it either way.” Porter snorted.

“Let us look at video from their encounter.” Dr. Yamane continued. A screen was lowered on the far wall and the lights dimmed. Everyone turned to watch the footage captured from New York play out.

“Godzilla is one hundred meters tall.” Dr. Yamane began. “It would seem, judging from comparing this Bagorah with Godzilla and the height of structures in New York, that, when standing, it is a bit shorter, perhaps about ninety meters. It’s wingspan though is enormous, an estimated three hundred meters.”

“How does something that big fly?” Someone asked.

“A good question.” Dr. Yamane replied. “One I certainly don’t have an answer for. More interesting to me is the way the creature fought with Godzilla.”

The film changed to showing Bagorah’s sonic scream devastating the buildings of New York and Godzilla staggering from the attack. Then the video changed again to show the barrage of light raining out of its mouth down onto Godzilla as they fought over the water.

“The creature clearly uses sound as a weapon.” Dr. Yamane continued. “But the rays of light are curious. It would seem that Bagorah is capable of converting sound waves into light. Researchers in laboratories have been able to do so for about a decade now by reversing the process used in cell phones that converts electricity to sound. My understanding though is that this is a process never observed in nature because there is only a narrow frequency range where sound and light waves overlap with each other. That Bagorah is capable of doing this is very remarkable.”

“As if the fire breathing lizard is normal.” Colonel Porter muttered.

“We saw it use sound when the military attacked it in Wyoming.” Dr. Hannah added. “We were far enough away that it didn’t kill us like it did the soldiers, but it was a very painful experience that I don’t ever want to go through again.”

“In our language, the name ‘Bagorah’ translates to ‘the Screaming One.’” Nathan said.

“Now that I think about it,” Dr. Hannah mused, “after it used that sonic attack in Wyoming it seemed to pause and listen for a moment. After that, it turned and flew off to confront Godzilla. Bats use echolocation to find their food, maybe this monstrous, bat-like creature uses it on an enormous scale.”

“You mean that it picked up on Godzilla from far across a vast country?” Dr. Yamane asked, sounding astounded.

“That or at the very least it picked up on his cries.”

“But none of this answers how we kill these things.” Someone interrupted.

The video paused on the scene of Bagorah biting Godzilla’s hand, showing the blood being drawn.

“Would you look at that.” Said Colonel Porter. “Godzilla can bleed after all.”

“Our own weaponry has failed repeatedly to break his skin but that monster’s teeth were able to do so.” A general noted. “So maybe we can use the two monsters against each other?”

“There’s something else here that we need to focus on.” Dr. Yamane warned. The video sped up to the point right after Godzilla’s atomic breath had knocked Bagorah into the water. “Look there. Godzilla’s wound has healed. It’s no longer bleeding just a moment after being freed from Bagorah’s jaws.”

The room sat in stunned silence for a moment.

“The implications of this,” Dr. Yamane said gravely, “are in many ways terrifying, and in other ways quite astounding. In addition to this instance, you see, we gathered data at the Containment Zone that showed Godzilla’s heartbeat slowly increased over time before returning to normal. What this all suggests is that Godzilla possesses an accelerated healing factor that enables incredible feats of regeneration.”

“Wait.” One of the generals said. “You’re telling us that not only is he nearly invincible, if we do somehow manage to injure him he will likely recover from it?”

“Yes, General. I’m afraid I am.”

Suddenly someone rushed into the room. The Secretary of Defense had been sitting through the meeting, listening to everything in silence. Now the man who had entered was whispering in his ear and showing him something on a small stack of papers.

“I’m afraid that I and several of you have to leave this meeting.” The secretary said. “It seems that across America several major terrorist attacks have just occurred.”

John Doss pulled his SUV into the gas station and filled it up. He looked as inconspicuous as anyone else in America. No one present would have guessed that he was high on the FBI’s wanted list. As he glanced at his watch, he realized that notoriety was only going to increase as the day wore on.

Then, as if on cue, an alert sounded from his phone. Doss glanced at it, returned the pump to its station, hurried inside and paid with cash, then returned to his vehicle where he pulled up the video from the day’s news alert. There, in the video with the frantic reporters talking, was the handy work of the New Sons of Liberty.

In the video, a tall building in Chicago loomed on the screen. Fire burned in its center, explosions having ripped through several floors of it to create a carefully planned out design. The flames ran across three floors, diagonally down five, and back across again three more, forming a massive flaming letter “Z”.

More alerts came in. The scene was repeating itself in cities across the country. In Detroit, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Indianapolis, and Des Moines. Each city’s skyline displayed the burning Z, the message Doss had hoped to convey. He kept his face straight. Doss wasn’t the kind of man prone to satisfied smiles or celebration when his plans came together. His mind simply jumped to what was next. His boys had succeeded. They’d played their parts. Hopefully none of them were captured. Better that they take their own lives than that. Better still that they died heroes fighting the Feds. Martyrdom, after all, was a powerful thing. Regardless, things had to continue to move ahead.

Doss turned off the video just as the first casualty reports were coming in. He didn’t care about that. He was on a mission to save the country. Some regrettable sacrifices were inevitable in a struggle like that. For now, he had to get on the road. He had somewhere to be, just in case.

“What the hell is happening to this country!?” Director Walter shouted as he watched the news.

“It’s like it’s turning into a hell hole.” Foxx muttered grimly.

“This ‘Z’ person just went from an internet curiosity to the most wanted terrorist in the world.” Anderson said.

“No, John Doss just did.” Director Walter snapped. “Though it’s looking increasingly likely that he and ‘Z’ are the same person. Arrests were made of some of the people involved in all this; a few of them, mercifully, before they carried out more attacks than what have already happened. It’s the New Sons of Liberty that are responsible.”

“We don’t know for sure that Doss is ‘Z’.” Foxx protested. “The fact is, we have no real evidence that gives us any idea who ‘Z’ is. All we can conclude at this point is that these attacks were inspired by what ‘Z’ is putting out on the internet.”

“Well we’ll get closer to figuring it out and take a terrorist off the streets by catching Doss, so get on that.” Walter ordered. “It’s bad enough that we have two monsters running loose. You’d think people would try to avoid making matters worse for all of us but apparently not.”

“Speaking of the two monsters,” Anderson asked, “is there anything we need to know about that situation?”

“Out of our hands.” Walter replied. “Doss and ‘Z’ are our focus. That’s just something we have to work around.”

“Don’t be so sure they don’t have a connection, Sir.” Foxx said, his expression serious.

Director Walter wrinkled his brow as he looked at him. “What do you mean?”

“I mean a big part of this whole mythos Z has built in the minds of his followers is that Godzilla wasn’t real. Now not only is Godzilla back but a second monster has appeared as well. If anything, this is likely to stir the frenzy even more.”

“Well, rationally, wouldn’t that turn people away from this nonsense?”

“If the people buying into it have any rational sensibilities left then, yes, maybe some of them. But not all of them. Many of these people, frankly, aren’t rational. They’ve taken leave of their senses and divorced themselves from reality. None of us here are qualified to say why that’s happened, but it’s obvious. The country is in a state of terror right now. Z is writing their own reality and drawing people into it. How those people respond to this will depend on what Z writes for them, or for that matter, how they interpret it when they read it.”

He paused, taking in the worried looks of his boss and partner.

“Frankly Sir, we’re not dealing with two monsters here. We’re dealing with three.”

Michael opened up tab after tab after tab on his desktop and typed in his standard list of sites and forums. He was anxious and the vape wasn’t helping. He didn’t have anything in savings. He didn’t want to have to go back to his parents’ home. He supposed he’d do what he had to, but it was so unfair. Everything in life was absolutely unfair to him. He just wanted to escape into the internet and never have to deal with his crap life ever again.

“Can you believe this is happening!?” Someone had posted on one of his forums, with pictures of the two monsters in New York and the burning Zs blasted into the sides of buildings around the country.

“This has got to be a false flag! Z wouldn’t do this!”

“Unless the enemy was in those buildings. This is a sign. We need to step up and join the fight!”

“Watch this video and see obvious signs that Godzilla and the new monster are CGI.” Someone posted, sharing a link to a random Youtube video.

“The revolution is happening! It’s a civil war now!”

“So is this rally happening in Miami still? What’s President Dale doing?”

“I hope so. I want to show him we have his back!”

“What happens if they blow something up in my city? What do I need to do to protect myself and my family?”

“I know what you mean. I’m so afraid right now!”

“It’s going to work out. Trust in Z.”

High above the clouds in the night sky, a Boeing 777 flew. Air traffic was being grounded all across North America now that a flying monster was at large. This particular plane had been over the Atlantic when that order had gone out and was coming in for a late landing.

Suddenly a shadow passed over the moon, drawing the attention of some of the passengers looking out their windows. In an instant though it was gone, leaving them wondering if they had imagined it or if it had merely been a trick of the light. Then, on the other side of the plane, someone screamed. Passengers turned and looked, the screaming intensifying as more of the people on board joined in.

Outside the plane, Bagorah flew, level with the 777 as he looked in on the passengers. The bat monster shrieked as he stared at the jet, saliva streaming from his jaws. Then, in an instant, the creature had disappeared, vanishing into the night once more.

For a moment, the passengers all breathed easier. The monster was gone. They’d been spared they thought. Then, out of the darkness, the monster rose again over the jet, its wings spread wider than the plane was long. Bagorah’s claws tore into its side, the impact sending the jet spiraling out of the sky with Bagorah clinging to it. Inside, oxygen masks fell from their compartments and people panicked as the plane shook violently and the pilot lost all control.

Outside, Bagorah cried out triumphantly and released his prey, letting it spiral down below the clouds. Then he swooped after it, ready to enjoy his meal.

In the depths, Godzilla swam. Before him, all manner of sea life fled. They were safe though. They were not the focus of his fury.

Godzilla could sense his enemy. He was closing in on it now. The bat monster had challenged him, attacked him even, and then fled before he had exhausted his fury with it. The fight wasn’t done yet as far as Godzilla was concerned. There was a score to settle.

Something else though had caught the dark god’s attention. He could feel something else here in the depths now that he was swimming into these warmer waters. It was faint, so faint that he hadn’t noticed it when he had first came to this strange place from the familiar waters in search of the power that sustained him. Now though, it was calling out to him.

Godzilla diverted his attention momentarily and swam towards this new sensation. He knew exactly what it was and what it meant for him. It wasn’t terribly far away either. He had time for this diversion. And then, after that, he would have his reckoning with Bagorah.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 7: Rally

Miami is on.

The truth will come out.

Things are in motion.

Be there.

-Z

“Well?” Pike asked impatiently. “How does it read?”

Carl Donner wiped his brow nervously, weighing the implications of what he had just read over twice.

“Well,” he began nervously, “it’s very eloquent, certainly. But Jason, this speech cuts awfully close to incitement. If something were to happen…”

“Does it meet the legal definition of incitement?” Pike interrupted.

“Well, no, not exactly but…”

“Then it’s fine. Is there anything else?”

Donner hesitated before answering. “It’s just, it sounds like you’re going to have Ted up there calling people to arms.”

“That’s exactly what he’ll be doing.” Pike said, his voice cold and level. “This is, after all, a crisis and we can’t afford to have our people sitting on the sidelines. Language like this fire’s our base up.”

“But it sounds like more than that.” Donner warned. “It sounds like you’re calling on them to overthrow democracy itself.”

“Does it say that? Explicitly?”

“Well, no, not explicitly.”

“Then that’s not what it says.” Pike shrugged.

Donner looked into Pike’s eyes, realizing for the first time just how empty and black they seemed to be. He thought of the mobs of people that had marched in the streets as Congress decided Dale’s future, clashing violently with the counter protestors. He thought of the endless death threats mailed to members of Congress and the justices on the Supreme Court. He thought of the terrorist attacks, of a man in the armed forces awakening Godzilla because of nonsense he had read on the internet, and of the blazing Zs that were still smoldering in major cities around the country.

What could people like that do to this country if enough of them got together at the right place and time?

“You really believe this Caesar stuff you talk about, don’t you Jason?” He asked meekly.

“Oh it’s not a matter of belief, Carl.” Pike said with a wicked little smile. “It’s a historical precedent that guides us to what this country needs to survive. We are in a crisis. We were in a separate crisis before the monsters came. America needs a savior and we must secure our future by any means necessary.”

Carl Donner felt as if he were shrinking into his chair.

“You…You think it wise to have a rally with the monsters running loose?” He asked in what was almost a pathetic whimper.

“Wise?” Pike asked, smiling more broadly. “No. It’s brave. It’s a show of strength and courage. It’s exactly what this country’s Caesar must show in a crisis.”

“I can’t believe you want me to go to that!” Ashley protested. “It’s not safe for one thing! Never mind how far away it is, but seriously, we have two monsters on a rampage right now!”

“No we don’t Ashley!” Her sister tried to assure her. “This is why you need to go! So you can open your eyes!”

“Open my eyes!? Sarah, you’re the one who’s believing stupid crap you found on the internet, not me. You’ve got to get this stuff out of your head! Godzilla is real! That bat thing they’re calling Baborba or whatever it was is real too! This Z thing you’re obsessed with? A bunch of maniacs just blew massive flaming Zs into the sides of buildings and killed a lot of people so you clearly do not need to be associating yourself with it!”

“Z didn’t do that! They’re trying to frame him!”

“Who’s him Sarah? Who the hell is Z? You don’t even know!”

“No, you don’t know! You’re blind to what’s going on in the world Ashley! They’ve gotten to you!”

“Oh for fuck’s sake…Who’s this they!? My professors? Someone on the TV? Mom and Dad? You’re talking like a brain washed cult member Sarah!”

Ashley was furious. She was done with this nonsense. Done with the conspiracy crap. Done with her sister talking down to her while at the same time going on and on like a lunatic. More than that, she wasn’t about to risk her own safety to go to a rally with Godzilla and a giant carnivorous bat terrorizing the eastern seaboard. Her sister, meanwhile, looked at her with that weird expression and smiled at her.

“It’s okay Ashley. I’ll pray for you. You’ll certainly need it with what’s coming.”

“Get out.” Ashley said. “You want to go, go. I can’t stop you. But I’m not putting up with this dangerous nonsense and certainly not going to ride along with you on it. This stuff is toxic Sarah. You can either get out of it or get out of my apartment.”

“Like I said,” Sarah said, gathering her stuff, “I’ll pray for you.”

And with that she left.

Adam had half the bus to himself. He was wearing his full “Medicine Man” costume, smelled as if he hadn’t bathed in days, and was swaying back and forth listening to music only he could hear. As such, the rest of the passengers were giving him plenty of space.

He was in spiritual ecstasy. Outside, the giant, winged and tentacled angels were slowly tearing away at reality, breaking it into pieces and getting ready to wipe it all away and start fresh. Only Adam could see them of course. Everyone else here was blind to the truth. It wasn’t their fault though. They weren’t walking close enough with the angels.

Adam opened his eyes and tilted his head to look out the window, trying hard not to mash down the feathers of his headdress. He watched the angels do their work and then looked into the sky. Miami was up ahead, and burning in the sky over it was a glowing letter Z.

The prophesied hour was at hand.

“We’ve got confirmation.” Foxx said as he and Anderson loaded up into their car provided by the bureau. “Multiple camera images of John Doss at different gas stations and rest stops traveling south. Looks like he’s headed for Miami.”

“I don’t get what Dale’s campaign team is thinking.” Anderson groaned. “Why have a campaign rally at a time like this? Don’t they realize the danger?”

“Who knows with them.” Foxx shrugged. “Who knows what anyone is thinking right now. Everything just seems crazy. All I know is we’ve got to bring Doss in.”

“You think he’s going to try something at the rally? Like set off a bomb there?”

“This might make a few Congressmen mad if they knew I said it,” Foxx began, “but frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if he was going to get his marching orders. I think Dale and his people flirt way too much with people like Doss. Way back when he first ran and a bunch of them started rooting him on; that should have been a sign to all of us as to what was coming.”

Anderson looked out the window, thinking about what he had just said.

“I’ll tell you what I’m really worried about.” Foxx continued. “Godzilla and this new monster. Both of them have been seen headed south. That bat monster eats people and a big crowd of rally goers might make a really tempting snack if it ends up in the area. Then as much as he seemed like he wanted a fight, I doubt Godzilla would be far behind.”

In a forested, swampy area of southern Georgia, Bagorah fed. The monster bat had ripped a hole in the side of the jet he had downed and was now crouched over his prey, the claws on one wing holding the remains of the jet in place as he worked his head and tongue inside, lapping up every morsel of flesh he could get at.

Suddenly the monster’s ears pricked. Bagorah rose up to half his full height, looking to the sky. A squadron of fighter jets was flying towards him, roaring down from the clouds. Missiles fired from the jets, streaking down towards the bat monster and exploding on contact, causing him to shriek more from surprise than pain.

The jets rushed over Bagorah’s head, distracting him from his gruesome meal. As Bagorah turned to look at the first fleet of jets that had just passed over him a second wave descended, firing on him again. Flames plumed over Bagorah’s wings and body and again the monster shrieked, this time in anger. As these jets passed over, Bagorah flapped his wings and lifted himself into the sky after them.

He had already exhausted the big flying thing of the tasty food inside anyway. Now he could find out what these tiny ones tasted like.

Wassaw Sound; a bay near Savannah, Georgia.

Witnesses looked out to the sea to see it churning and a huge and terrifying form rising from the depths before striding into the bay. Many of the people fled as Godzilla roared and came closer to the shore, the water of Wassaw Sound itself hardly reaching his knees. A few though stayed to watch.

Godzilla’s eyes scanned the surface of the water at his feet, searching. Slowly, the leviathan reached down and dipped his claws into the water. Then, having found what he was searching for, the titan rose back up to his full height, gripping a long lost, more than 7,000 pound, nuclear bomb as he did.

The beast’s claws cracked the metal shell and his cells strange properties went to work, drawing power from the bomb. Those still watching saw what looked like blue lightning crackling up Godzilla’s arm and his spines glowing in the night as the monster threw his head back and roared.

Godzilla had been weakened by his encounter with the specially designed fusion reactor in New York. Even as his body had healed he had not been at full strength when he had first fought Bagorah. The bomb though had restored him and when they next met Godzilla would be far more powerful than he was before. It was an encounter the dark god was looking forward to having.

Dropping the drained and broken remains of the bomb back into the bay, Godzilla turned and strode back towards deeper water. His enemy was ahead of him. He would soon catch up with Bagorah. When he did, the bat would regret ever daring to bite his hand.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Chapter 8: Monsters

Is nothing sacred in these parasitic ways
Perhaps it's just another way to make you feel like you belong
I stand accused of all your insecurities
Somehow your smoke and your mirrors cannot hide the envy

Harsh untruths and those pathetic little digs
I slit the throats of all those fucking pathetic little pigs
On my beach I kick up metaphoric sand
I flush the toilet of weakness with mushroom clouds in hand

Monsters under the bed, under the bed
Bash in your head
Somebody tell me, please tell me
Who's got my back

Make of it what you will.

-Z

Bayfront Park, Miami.

It was standing room only on the grass now and there was barely any more room for that. The crowd was loud and energized. People were chanting Dale’s name and the noise could be heard from blocks away as it echoed through the night air. Foxx and Anderson sat in their car, watching and waiting. Other FBI agents were just a call away, but discretion was key. They didn’t want a large crowd of the president’s supporters turning their collective persecution complex onto the FBI.

“We’ve got another post from Z.” Foxx said suddenly, looking at his phone.

“What’s this one say?” His partner asked. “Anything we should be worried about?”

“Hard to say. It doesn’t seem to make much sense.” He paused, copying the text and pasting it into Google’s search bar. “What the hell? It’s fucking song lyrics!”

“Song lyrics?”

“Yeah. And Z’s whacko followers are all over it trying to interpret it as a secret code.”

“Could it be code?”

“Beats me. But based on his profile I have a hard time imaging John Doss would use something like this to communicate. If he were Z that is.”

“Speaking of Doss,” Anderson said suddenly, “we might have visual.”

Foxx looked up to see a heavy set man moving into the crowd and vanishing in the thicket of bodies.

“Hard to say.” He muttered. “We’ve got to get confirmation before we can act.”

Before Anderson could say anything Foxx had jumped out of the driver side door.

“Wait here.” He said. “If I signal, call for backup.”

“Damn it, David, wait!”

It was too late. Anderson’s partner was already walking down the street, towards the rally.

The jets raced through the night sky and behind them the clouds seemed to burst open as the enormous bat monster Bagorah chased after them, beating its wings as it bore down on the little nuisances that had disturbed it. The jets had long ago exhausted their weaponry, all to no avail. Now it was a chase with the pilots fleeing for their lives and trying to take the monster out to sea and out of U.S. air space.

Bagorah, however, was a persistent predator.

“He’s right on my tail!” One of the pilots radioed. “I can’t shake him!”

The jet swerved and turned in the air, trying to keep away from the fanged mouth that persisted in staying directly behind it. Bagorah’s jaws parted and the monster lunged forward, his mouth snapping closed and crushing the jet between his teeth.

The bat monster hissed and spat. He had been expecting tasty flesh and warm blood. Instead his mouth was filled with a horrible metallic taste. These little things it seemed weren’t any good for food.

Lesson learned.

Bagorah’s mouth opened again. In his throat a bright light began to glow. A barrage of countless beams streaked through the air, several of them catching the jets, filling the sky with explosions. Now that that was done, it was time to find more food.

The demon tilted his head, listening.

A chorus of sounds reached his ears, the echos of countless tiny cries that he knew came from delicious little food things. The monster’s mouth began to salivate from the realization that another large meal was nearby.

With that in mind Bagorah turned and winged his way back towards land, vanishing into the clouds. There was food to be had and plenty of it judging from the sounds picked up by his keen ears.

David Foxx made his way through the edge of the crowd as best he could, trying to get closer to the man they thought was John Doss. The rally attendees weren’t making it easy though. Most of them weren’t keen on moving aside and many of them were glaring at him, making it clear that he wasn’t welcome in this space. Maybe he should have let Dana do this, he thought.

President Dale took the stage and the crowd roared with cheers and applause. Foxx thought he looked pale and sickly, a shade of his former self, but it seemed almost as if the mood of the crowd was breathing life back into him. He began egging them on as he was prone to do, whipping them into a frenzy. The crowd seemed to close in tighter, blocking his path, and the man he was following had long since disappeared.

“Damn it.” Foxx muttered under his breath.

He turned to leave and found himself face to face with a man in a feathered headdress and Superman cape.

“Excuse me.” Foxx said, trying not to stare as he made his way around the weirdo to get back to the car.

“No harm done brother.” The strange man replied. “Go forth and share our message with the world.”

“Yeah…Sure…”

Adam Bogart turned his attention to the sky and spread his arms wide as the stranger walked around him. The Z was still blazing up above. The angels were there, reaching down, extending their wings and tendrils towards the crowd.

In the labyrinth of people, John Doss stood, hanging on every word as Dale spoke and listening to any signal that might come. This was supposed to be the hour of the revelation, the beginning of the new era for the country. That’s what the prophecies had said after all and Doss absolutely believed everything Z had written. The news was calling him a terrorist, but Doss was a patriot. He knew the country needed to be saved and he was taking up arms to do so. Someone had to do it after all. This was just the beginning too. No matter what happened to Doss, there was no turning back now. Others would follow. Others would seek to out do what he and his followers had done. The war was just beginning.

Beside him a young woman cheered. Sarah Grimm looked up at her president with messianic reverence. She was right to have come here. Sarah had looked for her place in life for so long. Now she was a foot soldier in a holy army that was going to bring about the salvation of a nation. She’d given up everything for this noble effort, including her family, but in her mind that was a sign that what she was doing was good and true. Her loved ones were lost to Them, and that was sad, but she could not help that now. Maybe one day they would see and they could be together again, before it was too late.

Off to the side of the stage, Jason Pike watched as Dale rambled in his typical fashion.

“Damn it, just stick to the script.” He muttered.

Pike’s eyes shifted to look at the reaction of the crowd. They were eating it up, but his best lines were being mangled and stepped on as the President ad libbed and puffed himself up. Fine, if Dale needed this little exercise to find himself again so be it. The base was fired up either way. Pike could still manage things behind the scenes and the more vague Dale was the more plausible deniability they had for when someone did what needed to be done but which the administration couldn’t be associated with. It would all work out, Pike decided. America would have its Caesar soon.

In almost the very center of the crowd, Michael Quinn watched with a satisfied smile. He couldn’t believe how alive he felt. This, he decided, was what truly realizing the potential of his genius felt like. No one else here would understand that, but that was fine. They were all just puppets after all and Michael was making them dance. Or rather, “Z” made the puppets dance, and Michael and Z were one in the same.

It had all just started as a little fun. He was trolling people and seeing what he could stir up online. Then people had started waving the signs and quoting his “prophecies” he had peddled to them. That was when Michael understood just how much power he had in his new identity. In the real world, life had decreed he would be a nobody and stepped all over him. His genius went unappreciated. Real life was unfair. But like a character in a comic book, once Michael put on a mask he gained power. As Z he was everything to countless people he reached around the globe. As Z he shaped their minds and guided their actions. On the internet, he was like a god.

Buildings were burning because of Michael. Some fool had actually woke up Godzilla. People were dying because of what he’d written. The country was on the verge of an unthinkable revolution. And Michael sat back in awe of it all. No, that wasn’t right. He was in awe of himself. He was the founder of a new religion for these simpletons. He’d given them purpose they wouldn’t have had otherwise. He held so much sway over their pathetic little minds that just posting song lyrics had his followers grasping at straws looking for some hidden code in the meaningless fun he was having with them. And whatever this hapless buffoon sputtered out tonight he would use his talents to weave into something that would drive those people to do great and terrible things under the banner of Z. Michael, or rather Z, was just getting started.

And then, as Dale was babbling on and Michael’s eyes looked to the sky, he saw a shadow passing overhead in the night.

The distant shriek caused the people in the crowd to look upward. Something was drifting through the sky above them, circling in the darkness just barely out of the range of sight. Then Bagorah descended like a meteor, his feet crushing the stage Dale was standing on and Dale with it. Everyone in the audience screamed as the bat monster spread its wings wide and leered down at them with those hungry green eyes. Then, as the crowd began to trample each other in an attempt to flee, the monster began to fold its wings around them, forming a near circular wall with the opening between the two wings steadily closing and sealing off any hope of escape.

At the edge of the crowd, Foxx ran as fast as he could, trying to get out before the wings closed and trapped him inside. The screaming crowd was right behind him, pulling each other down and tripping over one another in a massive wave of panicking bodies that threatened to ensnare him as well. Suddenly a car squealed to a stop and a door flung open.

“Get in!” Anderson shouted.

Foxx dove inside and Anderson hit the gas, leaving the screaming crowd behind just as the monster closed its wings together.

“Good God…” Foxx breathed as he pulled his door to and looked in the rearview mirror.

“Don’t look back there David.” Anderson said. “There’s nothing we can do for those people now.”

Inside the prison Bagorah had made the walls formed by his wings were steadily closing in, pushing the people inside back towards the body of the monster like cattle being herded to the slaughter. Michael Quinn was clawing and stomping on people as he tried to flee, climbing over the screaming, thrashing bodies of the others. He pushed past the man in the headdress screaming about how angels would save them and the woman crying hysterically about how none of this was real. A thin bald man in a suit tried to push past him and got dragged down under the crowd, screaming as he was trampled. A fat man in camouflage pulled out a gun and tried to fire it at the monster. Whatever bullets hit did nothing but a few struck bystanders, sending the sent of blood drifting up to the predator’s nostrils. It was like a circle of hell with no escape.

Michael looked up and immediately wished he hadn’t. He saw the jaws parting and coming closer, the huge fangs gleaming and the darkness of the abyss that waited down the monster’s throat. He screamed and fought even harder to get away, all to no avail. As Bagorah’s jaws snapped shot, what Michael hoped would be his last conscious thought among the screams and sickening crushing sounds was that he was being sheared in two as his body caught between the monster’s teeth. Then, to his absolute horror, he found he did not black out due to the incredible pain and instead was completely conscious of the fact that he had been cut in half and the half with his head still attached was sliding down the throat of a monster he had convinced countless people wasn’t even real.

Bagorah gorged himself with delight and then looked up from the bloodbath to the new hunting grounds he had found. It was much like the place he had been drawn to by the cries of the fire spitting beast, and that meant there was sure to be an enormous supply of food here as well. This then was just the first of many meals to come. Before he could finish, however, a familiar sound rang out from the sea behind him, causing the demon to turn.

Godzilla had risen from the deep, his burning eyes fixed on Bagorah.

Far away from the battle, the team of scientists and military officers that had come together to ponder the crisis watched footage of the scene coming from Miami.

“It’s just as we thought.” Dr. Yamane said. “Godzilla has come to finish the fight.”

“It must be like an instinctive rivalry.” Dr. Hannah agreed. “He’s come to eliminate a competitor.”

“Perhaps it’s more than that.” Nathan said.

“What do you mean?” Dr. Hannah asked him.

“The Great Spirit works in mysterious ways. Perhaps he has sent Godzilla to save us from the demon.”

“Hey Doc,” Colonel Porter whispered as he leaned toward Dr. Yamane, “what do you think Godzilla’s chances are?”

“After three generations of my family studying him I have to advise that I would never bet against Godzilla.” The scientist replied.

Colonel Porter nodded and then leaned towards one of his fellow military officers. “Twenty bucks says the big bat just ate his last meal.”

Godzilla roared again as he advanced on Bagorah. Bagorah shrieked back and spread his wings wide, trying to make himself look bigger and more intimidating than the monstrous bat already did. Godzilla though merely sneered in return.

As he waded into the shallow water, Godzilla let loose his atomic breath, the tilt of his head aiming it towards the surface of the sea at first and then sending it traveling towards the shore, evaporating water into steam and then raising columns of fire when the blast made landfall. Bagorah shrieked and rose into the air, the park he had been feeding in combusting below him as Godzilla’s attack reached where he had formerly stood. He then turned and flew into the city, vanishing behind the forest of tall buildings near the shore. Bagorah intended to finish this and make a meal of his adversary, but he knew he was no match for Godzilla in a direct confrontation. However, in the maze of buildings he might have the element of surprise on his side.

Godzilla roared and followed, wading ashore and making the ground shake as he advanced into Miami. While Bagorah had flown effortlessly over and between the buildings Godzilla’s great bulk did not allow him such easy passage. People screamed as he crashed through the buildings, reducing them to rubble as he pursued his foe. As he emerged from the taller buildings Godzilla stopped and surveyed his surroundings, roaring for Bagorah to come out of hiding and fight him. Out of the darkness, the demon answered.

Before he could react the bat-like creature had swooped down and wrapped his long tail around Godzilla’s neck. Godzilla shrieked in surprise as he was jerked off his feet and crashed to the ground, Bagorah dragging him the length of at least two city blocks before letting go and flying into the air as Godzilla’s torso and head slammed hard into the buildings and street below.

Slowly, Godzilla rose, his anger growing as he looked up and saw Bagorah turning and flying back towards him. His spines glowed and Bagorah’s eyes narrowed as he watched his opponent, having learned full well what that meant. Godzilla’s atomic breath streaked upward and Bagorah weaved to the side, dodging the attack. The winged demon swooped down, giving Godzilla a wide amount of space as the atomic saurian fired again, the blast trailing after him and consuming buildings and people alike in fire as it chased after his flying target. Then Bagorah rose into the air, shrieking down almost as if it were daring to laugh at Godzilla.

As he rose higher and higher, Bagorah heard Godzilla’s roaring up at him. The Screaming One looked down and opened his mouth, deciding that it was his turn to attack. Light glowed in the back of Bagorah’s throat as his vocal chords vibrated so fast that they converted sound to light, the multiple rays raining down on Godzilla in a barrage. Godzilla roared and staggered as the beams struck his body and exploded all around him like a shower of shooting stars, but he refused to fall. Instead he staggered forward, advancing rather than falling back, and turned his glare up to the sky.

Bagorah had vanished.

Godzilla turned his head one way and then another. High above he caught glimpses of the monster, circling and weaving, using the darkness to try and hide. Suddenly Bagorah swooped down as Godzilla turned, sinking his fangs into the base of Godzilla’s neck just above the shoulder, drawing blood as his teeth pierced Godzilla’s hide. Godzilla roared and slashed Bagorah’s face with his claws, leaving deep gashes and causing the monster to scream and release him. Bagorah flogged him with his wings and kicked at his chest and face with his claws as Godzilla bit and slashed back, the ground shaking as their battle raged. Then a quick blast of atomic fire struck Bagorah’s chest and sent the bat monster flying backwards with a cry of shock and agony, propelling him through the air a great distance before he crashed down onto more than a block’s worth of buildings.

Bagorah lifted himself up on his wings, shaking his head and looking down at the burn Godzilla’s fire had seared into him. Once again his armor-like scales had protected him from the full force of the blast, but still it had hurt. Godzilla roared in satisfaction. He hadn’t put much charge into the attack but it had still done damage and sent the demon sprawling. He was at full strength now unlike when they had fought before and he was about to teach the bat monster what that meant.

Godzilla charged. Bagorah waited, letting Godzilla come closer and closer before finally unleashing a sonic shriek at close range. Godzilla cried out and staggered back, his senses scrambled by the high pitched sound and pain pounding in his head and chest. Bagorah kept the attack up, flapping his wings to lift himself off the ground as Godzilla swayed and finally fell before ceasing the assault and flying up into the cover of night again.

With some difficulty, Godzilla got to his feet. His body was already healing from the damage the sonic attack had done but it was proving to be a surprisingly effective weapon against him. Slowly he turned, looking for Bagorah. Meanwhile, on silent wings, Bagorah flew down, preparing to attack from behind. The bat monster opened his jaws, readying his fangs for another bite, then screamed as Godzilla’s tail lashed out and struck him with enough force that several of his ribs cracked. The force of the strike propelled Bagorah into a towering building, cracking concrete and twisting steel with the impact, before he crashed to the street at its base.

Godzilla roared down at Bagorah as he struggled to rise, pushing himself up on his wings again. Light glowed in the bat demon’s mouth, but before he could strike a new sound caught his attention. Bagorah’s head jerked up, his eyes widening as he shrieked in surprise. The building he had crashed into was toppling over on him and before he could react it had crashed down hard on his body, burying the Screaming One beneath it.

A long silence followed as Godzilla surveyed the fallen building. Finally, satisfied, he roared and then turned his back on Bagorah’s grave. Before he could walk away though, a high pitched sound reached his ears, causing Godzilla to turn just in time to see the ruins of the building that had just crashed down on Bagorah begin to break apart.

All at once the building exploded into rubble, Bagorah rising from beneath it shrieking louder than ever before. Godzilla roared and shook his head from side to side, staggering as the sonic screech wreaked havoc on his senses and body. He had only just recovered from Bagorah’s last attack, now this one was undoing the healing he had undergone and increasing the damage three fold. Blood began to trickle out of Godzilla’s ears and mouth and the titan fell to the ground, shaking the city as he landed and then writhing where he fell.

Bagorah did not stop until Godzilla lay still. The demon hovered in the air, his wings generating powerful gusts of wind as he looked down on Godzilla’s fallen body. He was tired, injured, and hungrier than ever now. He opened his mouth and flew in low, ready to deliver a killing bite and began his well earned meal. He was right over Godzilla, ready to strike, and then Godzilla’s claw grabbed his throat.

Bagorah’s eyes bulged as he felt Godzilla’s grip tighten, the claws sinking into the folds of skin and the monster’s hand exerting a massive amount of pressure in one place. Godzilla roared menacingly as he rose, looking Bagorah in the eye as he did. Bagorah flapped his wings and kicked with his clawed feet, unable to breathe or even make a sound beyond a raspy, gurgling croak. His primary defense had just been disabled and he was nearly helpless as he struggled, Godzilla keeping a firm grip as he stood up to his full height.

The saurian’s jaws parted but no roar sounded. Bagorah looked into the gaping maw, seeing the blinding light growing within. The demon struggled with all his waning might, knowing exactly what was about to happen. Godzilla was pouring his strength into this attack, ready to end this fight, and Bagorah had no armored scaling to protect his head as it received the full force of the blast. His eyes boiled in their sockets. Skin and flesh melted away. Bagorah’s skull cracked and then shattered before finally disintegrating into ash. And then it was over.

Godzilla released his grip and let Bagorah’s headless corpse fall backwards. As it lay at his feet, Godzilla sneered down at it for a moment before throwing back his head and roaring in victory. Cameras and phones recorded away from safe and not so safe distances, documenting the event for the world to see. In no time it would be made clear to the entire globe who the mightier of the two beasts had been and Godzilla would be given a title that was now well earned. Godzilla of course neither new nor cared. He had done what he had come here to do, and now he only desired to return home.

So the newly crowned King of the Monsters turned and made his way back to the sea.

Godzilla2004
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla2004 »

Epilogue: The Future Unclear

Foxx and Anderson sat together in Foxx’s motel room. The two of them were almost ready to head back to the FBI headquarters in Washington. For all anyone could tell, John Doss was nowhere to be found. If he had actually been at that rally where the president had been killed then he was almost surely dead. Anyone that hadn’t been eaten by Bagorah had been incinerated by Godzilla. Foxx was still shaken over the fact that he had come very close to having been among that number.

“You in the mood to look at a couple of things?” Anderson asked him.

“Yeah, sure. What is it?”

“Z hasn’t posted since before the rally. Their followers online are going nuts.”

She handed him a stack of printouts showing the comments made on various forums. “Where’s Z!?!?”, read one. “Did they get him?”, said another. “That last post must have the clue! It was so strange that there must be something in it for us to find!” Foxx threw the stack of papers aside after skimming a few more.

“Idiots.” He muttered. “Nothing but idiots.”

“There’s an Op-Ed in the New York Times today from Ted Dale’s former legal counsel.” Anderson said. “He thinks Z was Jason Pike, the Senior Policy Advisor at the White House. He was there at the rally too. If that’s the case, it explains the disappearance of Z as much as it would if it had been John Doss.”

“We’ll probably never know.” Foxx shrugged. “Z could have been Doss, or Pike, or anyone else. Maybe Z was at that rally and is gone. Maybe something else happened. Maybe they’re still out there and we’ll hear from them again someday. There’s no real way of knowing at this point. Besides that, even without Z I don’t think their followers are just going to go away.”

He turned his attention to the TV, recognizing the picture of a man in a feathered headdress and cape. A woman, identified as the man’s mother, was being interviewed.

“My son was a patriot and a gentle soul.” She said, smiling even with tears in her eyes. “He loved his country. He was so smart and talented.”

“Your son was reportedly a big believer in the ‘Z conspiracy theory’ that claims Godzilla was a hoax.” The reporter asked. “With that said, do you have anything you’d like to say to the people who still buy into that particular conspiracy in light of what happened at the rally in Florida?”

The woman’s smile never left her face. “No, not really. It’s a free country. People have got to decide for themselves. Who’s to say what’s real and what’s not? Just do your research like my son did and whatever conclusions you come to make the decision that’s right for you.”

Foxx turned the TV off. “We’re a whole nation of idiots.” He muttered.

“Not all of us.” Anderson said with a smile. “Besides, reality has a way of catching up with you. No one can avoid facing it forever.”

“You say that like it’s reason for hope.”

“Because it is. And if you need more hope than that, just remember that for all the stupid and awful things you see from people there are many others out there exercising the best traits of humanity. They just don’t make the news as easily.”

“I guess that’s something to hold onto.” Foxx agreed.

Ashley Grimm hugged her parents tight, tears streaming down her face.

“I tried to talk her out of going. I really did.” She sobbed. “Maybe I said the wrong thing. Maybe I should have been gentler in what I said. I don’t know. I just couldn’t reach her. It’s all my fault.”

“No honey, it’s not your fault.” Her father said, stroking her hair and kissing the top of her head. “Don’t even think that.”

“We tried so hard to reach your sister.” Her mother agreed. “I don’t know what she saw in all that nonsense that kept dragging her deeper and deeper into it, but whatever it was it pulled her away from us. It’s not your fault. Sarah went her own way.”

Ashley looked up, blinking to rid her eyes of the tears so she could see between their shoulders to the far wall of her parents’ living room. There was the picture of her sister smiling back at her and there beside it another one of all of them together, happy and whole. It would never be that way again she realized. And with that thought, she held her parents tighter and continued to cry, wondering how life could ever be good again.

“What for you now, Nathan?” Dr. Hannah asked as she and her newfound friend said goodbye at Reagan International Airport.

“Just headed back home.” He said with a smile. “Same as Godzilla I suspect. What for you now my friend?”

“I’m going to make a report for the state on how the fracking operation awakened Bagorah and consider an offer Dr. Yamane made very carefully.” She said thoughtfully.

“Oh? And what offer was that?”

“He’s going to approach the United Nations about organizing an international effort of scientists to study Godzilla and search for other creatures like him. If there are other monsters like Bagorah out there, we need to know about them ahead of time. He thinks an ecologist with experience with one such creature would make a good addition to the effort.”

“As do I.” Nathan agreed. “Might I make a suggestion? Something to remember if you do take up such work in the future?”

“Of course Nathan.” Dr. Hannah replied with a smile.

“Godzilla came about from our use of nuclear energy.” He said. “Bagorah was awakened by a process that pumps chemicals into the earth with dangerous side effects. Perhaps we should consider that these monsters come from the imbalances we are creating in nature.”

“You could be right.” Dr. Hannah agreed. “But tell me something Nathan. You said that you thought maybe Godzilla was sent to us to kill Bagorah. Is it just me or do you have some sentimental feelings towards him?”

Nathan smiled. “My grandfather told me once, the storm brings the rain, the fire brings renewal, and the winter brings rest. In nature, there is a balance, something you in your profession know well. That which brings destruction is also beneficial to life. My people sought to live in balance with the world we’ve been blessed with and to care for it. Right now the world is out of balance. If we are to restore our world and live in peace again, we may well have to learn to live with Godzilla and his kin as best we can.”

With that he said goodbye and got his plane, leaving Vicky to consider what he had said.

Far away, on a distant, jungle covered island, a typhoon raged in the night, fiercer and more powerful than any that had struck the little island in thousands of years. As it did, the wind and water swept away at the soil and trees and vegetation were torn up by the roots as a vast hillside gave way to the eroding forces.

From beneath the crumbling earth, something was revealed. Something huge and oval shaped, ringed in gold and blue and speckled with white.

Somewhere nearby, the sound of singing voices called out, rising above the torrent of rain and the howling winds.

“Mahal! Mahal Mosura!”

“Tama! Tama Mosura!”

The End