Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by G-Matt »

SP volumes 2 and 3 are also confirmed for September and October, respectively.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I'm ok with waiting for a domestic physical media release (Just like with the other 3 animated films), and Ultraman on Netflix for that matter, and if it never comes, so be it. Stranger Things season 1 and 2 dvd's and BRD I think were way overproduced at Target to the point that they were going on clearance dirt cheap. I just sight that as an example. Although these kaiju films/tv series are merely licensed by Netflix, not produced by them, so that actually increases their chance of a physical media release. Many animated TV series and films released on Netflix, but produced by other studios have had DVD and BRD releases.

I've been watching SP as the episodes appear online fansubbed. But it will be interesting to hear the english dub when it appears on Netflix.
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu May 20, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:58 am A Godzilla Singular Point Blu-Ray will be released.
It's 150 dollars...
https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSB0010093/

It'll come out in August. That's overpriced, but not so much for Japanese Blu-Rays. It comes with a beautiful fold out curtain and a Godzilla Ultima Heat Ray figure. Mixed feelings on this: I appreciate a physical release like this and it as a collectible, versus no release at all. Since the series is "free" on Netflix it doesn't feel like them purposely gatekeeping expensive blu-rays for no reason.
I like that it comes with a toy, but it's out of my price range for this. I'll have to wait and hope it comes out on disk stateside some time next couple of years.
Least I got Netflix now.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If you have eyes on a reasonably priced copy of Universal's King Kong Escapes Blu-ray, better jump on it because it's now apparently out of print.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:43 am If you have eyes on a reasonably priced copy of Universal's King Kong Escapes Blu-ray, better jump on it because it's now apparently out of print.
Looks like it's too late on Amazon already. Damn, if I'd known it was going out of print I'd have tried to snag it sooner. Guess I'm stuck with just my DVD copy.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Should we expect Heisei/Millennium films to become more scarce to find once Sony loses the rights? That's a scary thought.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Anguirus wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:06 pm Should we expect Heisei/Millennium films to become more scarce to find once Sony loses the rights? That's a scary thought.
Unless someone else licenses them from Toho, yep. :cry:

Hopefully whoever may show interest in them next will license the entire Heisei and/or Millennium series so we can get boxes. That's assuming Miramax doesn't still have Biollante, which remains an unconfirmed assumption in parts of our fandom.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:43 am If you have eyes on a reasonably priced copy of Universal's King Kong Escapes Blu-ray, better jump on it because it's now apparently out of print.
Looks like I got my copy just in the nick of time!

In fact, I'm going to be watching it pretty soon, too. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:07 pm
Looks like I got my copy just in the nick of time!

In fact, I'm going to be watching it pretty soon, too. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
UPDATE: I didn't get to watch it during this GA vacation period; I'll try again next time.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Question:

I'm doing a research project on Rodan and it's environmental themes for a class in my Master's Program. I want to know if the film is available to stream in the United States, on Netflix or another site. . If it is, I would like information on what version it is (Japanese Toho export, an AIP version etc...), and if subtitles are available.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm Question:I'm doing a research project on Rodan and it's environmental themes for a class in my Master's Program. I want to know if the film is available to stream in the United States, on Netflix or another site. . If it is, I would like information on what version it is (Japanese Toho export, an AIP version etc...), and if subtitles are available.

The Japanese version is on the Criterion Channel.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:51 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm Question:I'm doing a research project on Rodan and it's environmental themes for a class in my Master's Program. I want to know if the film is available to stream in the United States, on Netflix or another site. . If it is, I would like information on what version it is (Japanese Toho export, an AIP version etc...), and if subtitles are available.

The Japanese version is on the Criterion Channel.
Thank you. Is that the only place it is available?

I'm asking because I expect my professor to ask where they can watch it, or check that I'm not bullshitting. The Criterion Channel is great, but if by chance any version of it is on American Netflix that's really useful.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

The English-subtitled Japanese version of Rodan is also available to stream on HBO Max along with War of the Gargantuas, the Showa Godzilla movies (sans KKvsG) and other Criterion-released films.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

And for what it's worth, the English-dubbed version isn't available anywhere except on out-of-print home media.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 am And for what it's worth, the English-dubbed version isn't available anywhere except on out-of-print home media.
The English-dubbed US version of Rodan is now available on the Tubi streaming service!

Enjoy it before Toho pulls it, folks! :Rodan56: :Rodan56:

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Terasawa wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:06 am And for what it's worth, the English-dubbed version isn't available anywhere except on out-of-print home media.
The English-dubbed US version of Rodan is now available on the Tubi streaming service!

Enjoy it before Toho pulls it, folks! :Rodan56: :Rodan56:
It actually says “ShoutFactory TV” underneath it…sooo could this be legit?
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yes, legit from Shout along with many others.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Similar to my earlier question about Rodan, is Mothra 1961 streaming anywhere in the United States? If it is, please clarify what version it is and where to find it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:59 pm Similar to my earlier question about Rodan, is Mothra 1961 streaming anywhere in the United States? If it is, please clarify what version it is and where to find it.
It's on FlixFling according to JustWatch. I don't know which version though as I can't view it without an account. The JustWatch listing appears to be the Japanese version but I can't be sure.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I have all the dubs on VHS, but obviously don't use a VHS player anymore. I mostly watch Godzilla using the Japanese DVDs these days, still haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray. My question is, is there a way for me to watch the dubs without setting up a DVD player? I assume it's probably not as easy as downloading an audio file somewhere off the internet.