The Long Road to Destoroyah: Which Early draft sounds the most interesting?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Which Scrapped Heisei film sounds like the most interesting one?

Godzilla vs. Giant Monster Varan
15%
Godzilla vs. Godzilla
5%
Godzilla vs. Ghost Godzilla
29%
Godzilla vs. Baragurius
3%
Godzilla vs. Chaos
3%
Godzilla vs. The Divine Beast
3%
Godzilla vs. Bagan
8%
Godzilla vs. Junior Godzilla
No votes
Godzilla vs. Deep-Sea Life
3%
Godzilla vs. Biomonster
No votes
Godzilla vs. Super-Nuked Godzilla
7%
Godzilla vs. Lambda
No votes
Godzilla vs. Barubaroi
22%

Total votes: 59

Gigantis
Sazer

The Long Road to Destoroyah: Which Early draft sounds the most interesting?

Post by Gigantis »

So there was a lot, and i do mean a LOT of early drafts before we finally got the final Heisei Godzilla film as we know it. (for better or worse) Which one sounds like one that could've been the most fun film to you?

I honestly really like the sound of Godzilla vs. Chaos. Godzilla having to deal with a monster that doesn't even hail from the same dimension that he does sounds like it could be the beginning of all sorts of fun. At the same time though, there's something really drawing about Godzilla vs. The Divine Beast. Too bad we know pretty much nothing about that one though.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Re: The Long Road to Destoroyah: Which Early draft sounds the most interesting?

Post by TyrantGojira »

Barubaroi easily. Having Godzilla fight the kaiju equivalent of The Thing sounds intense and spectacular. Biomonster also piques my interest. The idea of a humanoid bio weapon made from Godzilla's cells would have been very interesting. That and it gives me heavy Resident Evil vibes.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

We know absolutely nothing at all about Divine Beast and Lambda so to include them in this poll seems like an odd choice.

Barubaroi all the way, btw.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I cant be the only one who thinks it doesn't matter what draft of the movie they ended up using right? It still would have been a Godzilla movie made by Toho in the 1990s.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:17 pm I cant be the only one who thinks it doesn't matter what draft of the movie they ended up using right? It still would have been a Godzilla movie made by Toho in the 1990s.
You make a good point. Since Koichi Kawakita would still be spx, the kaiju would have been beam spamming with some shoulder arms and maybe a few bites.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:21 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:17 pm I cant be the only one who thinks it doesn't matter what draft of the movie they ended up using right? It still would have been a Godzilla movie made by Toho in the 1990s.
You make a good point. Since Koichi Kawakita would still be spx, the kaiju would have been beam spamming with some shoulder arms and maybe a few bites.
Exactly. I see a lot of discourse about alternate drafts of Heisei films that got made, and even more discussion about potential films and ideas that never happened.

But at the end of the day, they still would have all been part of the Heisei/VS/90s Godzilla series. And even though many of us love those films, they're still where good ideas, intelligence and creativity went to die.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla vs Giant Monster Varan and the two Godzilla vs Godzillas.

I would have loved a more supernatural element to end these films off, and in Varan’s case, a happy ending for the BIg G. No meltdowns here.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Frankly, I’m happy with what we’ve got. Also on a side note, has anyone seen this model-kit of the poster art version of Destoroyah? It looks a lot more dynamic and threatening than what actually turned-up on screen.

http://www.kaijukits.com/library/dynami ... troyah.htm
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While I'm sure it wouldn't have been executed so great, I would have loved Ghost Godzilla. I recall the draft having an interesting visual idea with a sort of invisible specter of Godzilla attacking ships, or just sort of standing there frozen. It allows for some spooky imagery, and I like the idea of Junior or baby Godzilla getting possessed. Barburoi just seemed to be a neat update on Hedorah, which really that's what Destoroyah was.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hmmm, execution is hard to imagine with these ideas, as I think while they sound unique on paper, they might've been so-so on screen. From I recall from the books I've read, they were all trying to be the finale for Heisei's story, for better or worse.

But with that being said, if I got to see Varan drop Junior from the sky, I'm all for it :lol: :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

Barubaroi was my favorite idea the moment I first heard the concept because I always thought Godzilla vs John Carpenter's The Thing would've been an awesome fight and Barubaroi seemed like closest we ever got to that idea becoming a reality

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think G vs Ghost Godzilla has some promise, as does Barubaroi. Having an unseen force moving through a city and destroying this and that would create some interesting images, and then the father/son battle would have been a fine choice for a final vs fight. Barubaroi would have given Godzilla his most unique foe.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Kaijuboi
Yojimbo

Post by Kaijuboi »

Would've loved to see Godzilla vs Varan. It would've gave Varan, one of toho's most underrated kaiju more spotlight and a greater role.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I still think what we did get from the Heisei series were the best possible things we could have gotten, for better or worse.

I've never read about a single unmade concept and thought, "Man, I would have loved to see that instead!"
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Primarily Varan. It'd be kickass to see him be a full on apocalyptic god.
Resized Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:45 am I still think what we did get from the Heisei series were the best possible things we could have gotten, for better or worse.

I've never read about a single unmade concept and thought, "Man, I would have loved to see that instead!"
Lol this. A lot of the scrapped ideas were pretty out there. e

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Watching the 2 hour Godzilla iceberg made me realise how many drafts there were where Godzilla wanted to murder Junior.
For Emperor and Empire!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I like Ghost Godzilla the most, as it would have formed a trilogy with MG2 and SG of "Godzilla vs. Godzillas".

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:14 pm I like Ghost Godzilla the most, as it would have formed a trilogy with MG2 and SG of "Godzilla vs. Godzillas".
Which is ironic - it was the reason GvGG was turned down.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm curious on Jr vs Gojira myself as well as Barubaroi.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image