Singular Point - Kaiju Design Discussion Thread (FULL SPOILERS!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
phillipw1954
Samurai

Re: Singular Point - Kaiju Design Discussion Thread (FULL SPOILERS!)

Post by phillipw1954 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 pm
phillipw1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:35 pm
Spuro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am

Titanosaurus - I guess he's Godzilla now? You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Either Godzilla looks like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid for some dumbass reason, or Titanosaurus is now an ugly mosasaur that barely resembles the character. (1/10)

Varan - See Titanosaurus. The same problems apply. (1/10)

Gorosaurus - See Varan and Titanosaurus. The same problems apply. (1/10)
Nope, no rock and a hard place here. Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus aren't in the show. Godzilla, in its first form, does in fact look like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid. For a creative reason. Whether this reason is "creative (as in its good)" is up to whomever's opinion, but the choice its self was just a creative decision. They just chose to make it that way.
Okay, so instead of a shitty Titanosaurus/Varan/Gorosaurus design that barely resembles the character, it’s a shitty Godzilla design that doesn’t remotely resemble the character (minus Gorozilla). That isn’t an improvement. Arguably it’s worse.

Which was the rock and hard place I’m referring to. They can’t win with those designs unless they make them new monsters entirely (though Gorozilla would make an okay Minilla/Jr type of character).
Since these designs arn't core Godzilla (which in this case is Ultima) they're essentially new creations. The only Godzilla design in the show that's meant to resemble Godzilla is Ultima. It's a very Shin-esk scenario.
Like, Kamata-Kun looks nothing like Godzilla, and yet it's a form of Godzilla. It's a new creation.
Amphibia, Aquilitis, and Terrestris, are only meant to slightly resemble Godzilla by using a few characteristics such as dorsal fins. The fact that theyre not faithful is kinda reduntant as they are new creations.
Its like if you said Salunga was a crappy redesign of Gabara. That statement is kinda void because Salunga isn't meant to be Gabara. Do they look similar? Does the new design have traits similar to that of older ones for other creations? Absolutely.
In shot, to say these designs don't romotely resemble the character isn't that great of a take because these characters haven't existed before (Aquilitus, Amphibia, Terrestris).

And the fact that "they can't win with those designs unless they make them new monsters entirely" is strictly up to one's opinion, and isn't a universal fact or anything. I know you didn't say that, but I'd like to nail down the coffin just in case.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Titanosaurus - I guess he's Godzilla now? You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Either Godzilla looks like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid for some dumbass reason, or Titanosaurus is now an ugly mosasaur that barely resembles the character. (1/10)

Nope, no rock and a hard place here. Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus aren't in the show. Godzilla, in its first form, does in fact look like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid. For a creative reason. Whether this reason is "creative (as in its good)" is up to whomever's opinion, but the choice its self was just a creative decision. They just chose to make it that way.
Okay, so instead of a shitty Titanosaurus/Varan/Gorosaurus design that barely resembles the character, it’s a shitty Godzilla design that doesn’t remotely resemble the character (minus Gorozilla). That isn’t an improvement. Arguably it’s worse.

Which was the rock and hard place I’m referring to. They can’t win with those designs unless they make them new monsters entirely (though Gorozilla would make an okay Minilla/Jr type of character).
phillipw1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:49 pm
Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am

Talking about the supposed Kumonga in Singular Point. ;)
They still turned out to be our lovable spider kaiju. The design doesn't matter here, they're supposed to be good ole Kumonga.

Do you consider this to be Kumonga too? Because they’re almost the exact same design.
Nope, because I'm not seeing the creator say that is meant to be Kumonga. If they did well the shucks guess it is a Kumonga design lol

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:54 pm Image

Do you consider this to be Kumonga too? Because they’re almost the exact same design.
you on some other shit
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Spuro’s irrational hatred for anything and everything Singular Point is amusing, in a way :lol:

I say that the Kumonga redesign is great. It keeps enough features of Kumonga (spider, yellow stripes, multiple legs) and uses design elements of other TOHO kaiju (Megalon and Gigan) for a badass redesign
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Everyone who calls the new Kumonga more a Megalon don't appreciate that Megalon's functional design.
While Kumonga SP can jump amazingly well and we got Hanenga flyng; they still lack Megalon's whole sheer versalitiy: flight, hovering,swimming,tunneling, hopping, skipping
(Which is why I don't like many fan redesigns of Megalon.)

I do wonder if Kumonga was originally meant to be an original coconut-crab monster though. Or I suspect Zenbunga was intended to have as many references to arthropod kaiju as possible since its name means "all bugs" and I wonder if it was designed first and its brethren came after.

I personally think Zenbunga name should be reappropriated for different insect hybrids in different continuities if possible because a name that means "all the bugs" has great potential.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Dinoskell wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm I do wonder if Kumonga was originally meant to be an original coconut-crab monster though.
THANK YOU. Finally someone else noticed this. I was getting really tired of seeing people say SP Kumonga looks like Kumonga. It's just factually incorrect. There's really nothing spider-like (and thus Kumonga-like) about it aside from being an 8-limbed arthropod, which isn't exactly diagnostic on its own (ignoring the fact that spiders [including Kumonga] actually have 10 limbs anyway, so it's a wrong assertion from the start). It's like saying a giraffe looks like a horse. Like, yeah, it kinda does in the absolute vaguest sense in that it's a long-legged quadrupedal mammal, but it's really not correct.

If someone likes the design, fine, whatever. That's personal taste. But stop using factually incorrect reasons to justify it.
Or I suspect Zenbunga was intended to have as many references to arthropod kaiju as possible since its name means "all bugs" and I wonder if it was designed first and its brethren came after.

I personally think Zenbunga name should be reappropriated for different insect hybrids in different continuities if possible because a name that means "all the bugs" has great potential.
This would actually make a LOT of sense. I know it's been stated by the director that Salunga was originally intended to be a more purely monkey-like kaiju, with the Gabara and Baragon influences being added in later, so it wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened with the Kumonga line.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:37 pm Spuro’s irrational hatred for anything and everything Singular Point is amusing, in a way :lol:
Hey, when Singular Point does something I do like I’m the first to admit it. Take their Showa/Millennium hybrid Mechagodzilla for example. I think that’s neat!

It’s just Singular Point annoys me far more than it wows me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

phillipw1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:49 pm
Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am

Talking about the supposed Kumonga in Singular Point. ;)
They still turned out to be our lovable spider kaiju. The design doesn't matter here, they're supposed to be good ole Kumonga.
No because that's not meant to be Kumonga right? If the artist came out and said it was meant to be Kumonga then I'll have to consider it to be Kumonga lol.... because it would be Kumonga.
Just because a design is similar, doesn't mean that it is for sure that character. It's all up to the creator.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Godzilla Terrestris was probably my favorite redesign, but Ultima was absolutely majestic in action. Terrifying, especially with that crocodile grin after evolving. Blood tentacles are awesome.

The show also made me love Jet Jaguar, so there’s that.

Rodan was great, and distinct from the MonsterVerse’s version.

All of the others are great as well.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Inferno Rodan wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:39 am
Dinoskell wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:09 pm I do wonder if Kumonga was originally meant to be an original coconut-crab monster though.
THANK YOU. Finally someone else noticed this. I was getting really tired of seeing people say SP Kumonga looks like Kumonga. It's just factually incorrect. There's really nothing spider-like (and thus Kumonga-like) about it aside from being an 8-limbed arthropod, which isn't exactly diagnostic on its own (ignoring the fact that spiders [including Kumonga] actually have 10 limbs anyway, so it's a wrong assertion from the start). It's like saying a giraffe looks like a horse. Like, yeah, it kinda does in the absolute vaguest sense in that it's a long-legged quadrupedal mammal, but it's really not correct.

If someone likes the design, fine, whatever. That's personal taste. But stop using factually incorrect reasons to justify it.
Or I suspect Zenbunga was intended to have as many references to arthropod kaiju as possible since its name means "all bugs" and I wonder if it was designed first and its brethren came after.

This would actually make a LOT of sense. I know it's been stated by the director that Salunga was originally intended to be a more purely monkey-like kaiju, with the Gabara and Baragon influences being added in later, so it wouldn't surprise me if something similar happened with the Kumonga line.
Inferno still has the worst takes I see
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:07 pm

What take? That an eight legged body plan =/= a spider?

That’s not a take, that’s a fact.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think that ignores the obvious that it’s still making webs and entrapping victims like a spider. Likewise, last time I checked, most spiders aren’t 50 meters in length, or shoot web from the front (there’s some recently newly discovered species but that certainly wasn’t the case during the making of SoG. In universe it’s called Kumonga because one of the dock workers freaks out and says “KUMO GA”, or “Its a spider” when they first encounter it.

This sort of debate is childish because it’s purely over a naming convention. No one here would be upset if we focused on the latter forms names like Kamanga or Zenbunga.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:23 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:07 pm

What take? That an eight legged body plan =/= a spider?

That’s not a take, that’s a fact.
strawman
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MG looks cool.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:50 pm strawman
This shit here is exactly why I'm fed up with you SP fanboys. Holy fuck. I wouldn't be half as bitchy about this TV show if the fanbase wasn't so god awful towards any hint of criticism.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Okay, let's calm down^

Spuro, you clearly don't like the Godzilla SP designs and that's fine, but please don't be disingenuous about it. I'm pretty sure Gawdziller and other "SP fanboys" have actually been very critical of the series. I personally don't like some of the designs, but they're not a dealbreaker for me. However, a lot of people are just saying getting nitpicky over a naming convention is a superfluous choice. Labeling a post a "straw man", without explanation is also a bit suspicious to me as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:43 pm Labeling a post a "straw man", without explanation is also a bit suspicious to me as well.
I didn't label it that, though? That was the post I was quoting.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:43 pmLabeling a post a "straw man", without explanation is also a bit suspicious to me as well.
Gawdziller literally said “strawman”. Spuro didn’t change anything.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:39 pm I think that ignores the obvious that it’s still making webs and entrapping victims like a spider. Likewise, last time I checked, most spiders aren’t 50 meters in length, or shoot web from the front (there’s some recently newly discovered species but that certainly wasn’t the case during the making of SoG. In universe it’s called Kumonga because one of the dock workers freaks out and says “KUMO GA”, or “Its a spider” when they first encounter it.
I never said there was nothing about them that was taken from Kumonga. I was specifically taking issue with people saying they looked like Kumonga.

Also spitting spiders aren't a recent discovery, for the record. They were scientifically described in the 1800s.
This sort of debate is childish because it’s purely over a naming convention. No one here would be upset if we focused on the latter forms names like Kamanga or Zenbunga.
Well yeah, obviously names are important. If someone made a superhero clad in a green and black suit with a bat-eared headpiece that wielded a large hammer and had laser vision, and then said he was supposed to be Superman, you can bet people would have issues with it.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Speaking HONESTLY, seeing all this,

I totally think it's valid to justify the SP designs as not looking like/representing the kaiju....and like them and see them as valid incarnations of the kaiju.

Again, I feel biased saying this as 89% of this is context from spoilers/fansubbed episodes.

But even now there's STILL designs I hate (most of the Rodans, Manda, Aqualitis and Amphibia) but I still enjoy the monsters.

I don't know what I'm saying.

I guess I see both sides and it's kind of a lot of fighting over what feels like nothing? Idk, that's just my two cents

RIP Evan.