Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Terasawa »

Re: Interpolated frames

It should be mentioned that not all of the original frames are present in the Beck cut, so even had they decided to incorporate the original frames from that, they still would have had to interpolate the rest or use some other worse-off multi-generation element (if possible). There's no perfect solution to the problem of all the missing frames, but this one meant having a consistent presentation of the full-length film from what's left of the original negative.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu May 13, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1996 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:18 pm Received my 4k blu ray set this morning and I can absolutely say that this release blows all other Godzilla releases/transfers (Showa, Heisei, and Millennium) out of the water with its sharp image, beautiful details, and outstanding colors. I hope this is evidence that Toho is finally realizing the value of their most iconic film franchise. My only nitpick is that there is no English subtitles, but that is to be expected.
Now it is just a matter of hoping and praying for a proper US release. Doesn't even need to be a 4K disc, a standard BR sourced from this transfer, with quality subtitles(and a pipin' hot new English Dub :P) would be fantastic.

If ever there was a time for Universal to jump up, make whatever deal necessary with Toho, and put out a set that has both versions in it....now would be it. We got GvK THIS year, so the timing would be on point....outside of that, a significantly less potent but 'kinda timely' time to release it would be next year when the original turns 60 years old.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu May 13, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:05 pm
GodzillaFan1996 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:18 pm Received my 4k blu ray set this morning and I can absolutely say that this release blows all other Godzilla releases/transfers (Showa, Heisei, and Millennium) out of the water with its sharp image, beautiful details, and outstanding colors. I hope this is evidence that Toho is finally realizing the value of their most iconic film franchise. My only nitpick is that there is no English subtitles, but that is to be expected.
Now it is just a matter of hoping and praying for a proper US release. Doesn't even need to be a 4K disc, a standard BR sourced from this transfer, with quality subtitles(and a pipin' hot new English Dub :P) would be fantastic.

If ever there was a time for Universal to jump up, make whatever deal necessary with Toho, and put out a set that has both versions in it....now would be it. We got GvK THIS year, so the timing would be on point....outside of that, a significantly less potent but 'kinda timely' time to release it would be next year when the original turns 60 years old.
I agree that it be perfect timing for Universal to do something with Toho, but I'm still skeptical. I also forgot to state that this release does not include the earlier Blu ray's 5.1 mix, only the 4.0 stereo, 2.0 stereo, and 2.0 mono mixes.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1996 on Thu May 13, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

One each of the Blu-ray and 4K versions left in stock at CD Japan. I don't know if more are to be expected, so anyone on the fence should probably act now.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Hng…. I don’t have a 4K system (yet) so it would just be a shelf warmer until I’m able to build my home theater…. Surely if it’s selling out they’ll reissue it (or, God willing, well actually get a US distributor to issue 4K discs with subs some point down the road). I mean, they released the BDs multiple times and they were never terribly hard to come by. I don’t care much about a big fancy box set full of stuff I can’t understand anyway, but I do care about having 4K copies of the films once I upgrade to 4K. :-/

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:04 pm Hng…. I don’t have a 4K system (yet) so it would just be a shelf warmer until I’m able to build my home theater…. Surely if it’s selling out they’ll reissue it (or, God willing, well actually get a US distributor to issue 4K discs with subs some point down the road). I mean, they released the BDs multiple times and they were never terribly hard to come by. I don’t care much about a big fancy box set full of stuff I can’t understand anyway, but I do care about having 4K copies of the films once I upgrade to 4K. :-/
The single disc release is just a bluray that uses the 4K master. It's not a 4K disc. It still looks incredible though.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Thanks. I’m aware of the regular BD release. But if I’m gonna get it I would want to future proof myself with the actual 4K set.

Speaking of, based on pictures I believe the actual 4K release comes with both the 4K disc as well as a standard BD disc. Can anyone confirm this? And can anyone confirm if they’re the same or if there is different content on each?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It does come with both. I haven’t checked the BD myself, but I know that the Champion Matsuri cut is only on the BD. I can’t speak for any of the special features, but I’ve heard from others that the extras from the 2014 BD aren’t on there anymore, which is too bad.
Last edited by Goji on Fri May 21, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Not to be an asshole but I'm shocked Toho was able to pull something like this off internally.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Mothra 61 is getting the 4K treatment, this time with theatrical screenings.

https://youtu.be/ZgMrFRLoW_Y
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

God, I'd love if some of these new restorations got theatrical releases here.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yes please!! I was lucky enough to see the previous Sony (or whoever did it) Mothra restoration at an Alamo Drafthouse several years ago and it was fantastic. I’d be over the moon to see any of these restorations in theaters!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji1986 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:32 am Mothra 61 is getting the 4K treatment, this time with theatrical screenings.

https://youtu.be/ZgMrFRLoW_Y
Glad to hear this. The Sony restoration can definitely be greatly improved upon. Hopefully this also means Toho is willing to invest in 4K restorations of non-Godzilla films as well -- Rodan, The Mysterians, and Atragon all desperately need new transfers.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

A shame that we can't really hold out hope for a "Mill Creek is releasing the entire Ultraman Library" type of deal with the entire Godzilla/Toho monster back catalog using the 4K restorations as they get completed.

I mean...I am sure a deal that includes a huge percentage of the relevant films COULD happen in theory, but I get the sense that there will always be fractured distribution rights due to there being so many films. It seems like every time you get a bit of consolidation of a number of films under one roof(Criterion getting all of the Showa Godzilla films, Rodan and Garantuas) you start to get things like Sony beginning to lose some of their earlier acquired titles.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

New images from the Ghidorah 4k trailer

https://twitter.com/pasinpasin/status/1 ... 2800623621

Looks absolutely incredible.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:52 pm A shame that we can't really hold out hope for a "Mill Creek is releasing the entire Ultraman Library" type of deal with the entire Godzilla/Toho monster back catalog using the 4K restorations as they get completed.

I mean...I am sure a deal that includes a huge percentage of the relevant films COULD happen in theory, but I get the sense that there will always be fractured distribution rights due to there being so many films. It seems like every time you get a bit of consolidation of a number of films under one roof(Criterion getting all of the Showa Godzilla films, Rodan and Garantuas) you start to get things like Sony beginning to lose some of their earlier acquired titles.
By the time Toho finally decides to let an American distributor have access to the 4K masters, I wonder if anyone will even be releasing physical media anymore.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Legion1979 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:52 pm A shame that we can't really hold out hope for a "Mill Creek is releasing the entire Ultraman Library" type of deal with the entire Godzilla/Toho monster back catalog using the 4K restorations as they get completed.

By the time Toho finally decides to let an American distributor have access to the 4K masters, I wonder if anyone will even be releasing physical media anymore.
I think at the very least niche companies like Arrow or criterion will. Look at Vinyl. Physical media will be around for a long time yet. But it definitely won’t be the mainstream.

Also, does anyone have higher res screenshots of those GTTHM caps? The thumbnails look good but when you zoom in the macroblocking is atrocious.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

It's rather odd that Toho never extended some satellite operations in at least their biggest non-Japan markets, of which the US would be one. Toho may not be as gigantic as the biggest Hollywood studios, but nor are they a small company either. Makes me wonder what they're thinking about the streaming era.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I mean, it seems like the way they do things is basically standard practice. I'm not sure I've ever heard of other Japanese studios having even as much presence here as Toho does, which as far as I know amounts to an office or two and some lawyers.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:45 am I mean, it seems like the way they do things is basically standard practice. I'm not sure I've ever heard of other Japanese studios having even as much presence here as Toho does, which as far as I know amounts to an office or two and some lawyers.
Yes, though Toho is easily larger than any of the other studios from Japan. My comparison was broader than just studios from Japan, however.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren