Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by G-Matt »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:21 am Just finished Endless Eight IV. This skreeonking show, man. Not only have they
Spoiler:
gotten me to watch the same episode four times now, but I've been on the edge of my seat every time. :lol: The building tension is insane. Not just any show could pull a stunt like this and make it work so well. And I absolutely love the attention to detail; the animators spared no expense making each episode just slightly different, with changing outfits and camera angles and so on. That must've been such a fun, unique challenge for them. Also, poor Nagato. I've rarely felt more sorry for a cartoon character. Every time she rattles off that number of repetitions is an emotional bat to the face like something out of Madoka Magika. Well... almost.
This right here. This is exactly how I felt and still feel about this arc.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'll rally in support of the Endless Eight arc too; it gets a LOT of flack for what it is, but I really enjoy the subtle differences in details and tonality between each episode. Granted, I come from the benefit of being able to watch the arc multiple episodes at a time, so it's easier to spot the differences, perhaps. How are you spreading it out, @Jagzilla?

...Oh, and I am WAY behind on AoT. I kind of lost interest in the manga, and I'm at least a season behind on the anime. I do intend to finish the anime, at least; but once the plot got more involved in the mysteries I felt it got convoluted.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rody wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:50 am I'll rally in support of the Endless Eight arc too; it gets a LOT of flack for what it is, but I really enjoy the subtle differences in details and tonality between each episode. Granted, I come from the benefit of being able to watch the arc multiple episodes at a time, so it's easier to spot the differences, perhaps. How are you spreading it out, @Jagzilla?
I watched the first episode, then went a few weeks without watching any (not the show's fault, I was just focusing on other hobbies) then went through the rest over the course of a week or two. The last three I just watched straight through. I definitely understand why the arc would get flack; I appreciated watching for the differences, but eight consecutive episodes that (minus the first and last) were 90% identical was a lot, and I was starting to get bored by the end. It was a cool concept and they executed it well, it just should've been an episode or two shorter.

And unless you're very patient and/or have a lot of spare time to burn, there's not much rewatch value. That's basically six episodes that you're going to skip if you rewatch the show.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train was STUNNING

My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are my two favorite properties/franchises that are currently going these days. Hollywood just doesn't really produce much that is worthwhile these days.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:13 pm Demon Slayer: Mugen Train was STUNNING

My Hero Academia and Demon Slayer are my two favorite properties/franchises that are currently going these days. Hollywood just doesn't really produce much that is worthwhile these days.
Same. I already really liked Demon Slayer before Mugen Train, but after seeing it? Love it just as much as MHA. Can’t wait for Season 2!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My brother and sister are big fans of Demon Slayer. I'll have to give it a try when I finish Haruhi.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri May 07, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I'm not into Haruhi. It's relaxing when I watch it, but the pacing and plotting leave me shaking my head. I would still recommend watching the Disappearance movie regardless.

I'm still in probationary period, so I can't express how much I enjoy Bungou Stray Dogs by wearing a Dazai Osamu avatar :(. I think he's the best character in that series :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fuck, this is a bit of old news, but Berserk's author, Kentaro Miura, died. Holy fuck, Berserk won't be finished. SHIT

RIP
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I just heard too. Man what a bummer.
I hope Guyver's hiatus ends and that manga gets to finish.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:33 pm skreeonk, this is a bit of old news, but Berserk's author, Kentaro Miura, died. Holy skreeonk, Berserk won't be finished. poop

RIP
I just came here to post this. I've been reading it since I saw the original anime series, such a shame it won't be finished now, so much story wasn't covered yet. Only 54 years old too, RIP.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe people who worked along with Miura on the manga could finish his work.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m about to start watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, and afterwards I’ll watch End of Evangelion. I heard it’s one of the best anime of all time.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:20 am I’m about to start watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, and afterwards I’ll watch End of Evangelion. I heard it’s one of the best anime of all time.
It is but...... depends on what you want out of it. But yeah everyone should watch it once.

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I decided to finally watch Gojira: Singular Point and the silver permed guy; Yun is the kind of smart you see described in comedy skits describing anime tropes.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Three episodes to go on Haruhi. The movie arc was about as funny as the show's been yet, and I love that they actually gave The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina its own full episode.

In other news, I just got done with the first episode of Demon Slayer. It felt pretty rushed and clunky, but seems to have potential. Guess I'll find out.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

When in the hell is there going to be a season 2 of Goblin Slayer? I'm getting old.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Anime currently watching

AOT anime the manga ending....I hate it.
My Hero Academia
One Punch Man
One Piece *Which I never recommend people to watch especially if they never heard of it*

So if any suggestions I'm up for them.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 am Anime currently watching

My Hero Academia
One Punch Man
One Piece *Which I never recommend people to watch especially if they never heard of it*

Demon Slayer is pretty great imo, should definitely give it a watch

If you want some toku/kaiju/mecha with deep characters and plot, you should really give SSSS.Gridman a go.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:04 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:52 am Anime currently watching

My Hero Academia
One Punch Man

Demon Slayer is pretty great imo, should definitely give it a watch

If you want some toku/kaiju/mecha with deep characters and plot, you should really give SSSS.Gridman a go.
Yeah, I've heard great things about Demon Slayer, I'll give Gridman a watch thanks man.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

This season I’m ofc keeping up with Singular Point.
Other than that, I’ve been neck deep in reading Dr Stone and the Promised Neverland manga.
Been watching To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers, 86 Eighty-Six, trying to catch up on the One Piece anime (I’m all caught up on the manga, but I wanna see this arc animated), making my way through Cowboy Bebop slowly, and eventually I’m gonna catch up on Black Clover for the movie. I’m excited (and overwhelmed) by how much I have to consume lately. it’s fun though
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image