How Strong Is Monsterverse Godzilla Now?

Discuss and analyze various feats!
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Re: How Strong Is Monsterverse Godzilla Now?

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Gigantis wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:44 am
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:35 am Godzilla Earth isn't 100x the size of the MonsterVerse Godzilla. He's around 2.6x taller (that's still a large difference in dimensions),
I was semi-joking there dude.

And again, maybe he can throw him, but Earth wouldn't allow that to happen. We're talking about the plant-dinosaur that destroyed a moon sized object (MV Goji doesn't come close to that) and apparently even melted Mount Everest with one atomic ray.
I'm just pointing out that Godzilla Earth isn't nearly as big compared to other versions of Godzilla as it seems. He's a complete lightweight. Biollante is twice the weight of him. I'm not saying that Legendary's Godzilla could beat him, but that theoretically, he would be able to push Godzilla Earth around.

Melting Mount Everest looks slightly less impressive with stupidity like blasting a hole into the Earth, straight to the core, within what seems to be 3 minutes. Taken at face value, his atomic breath reaches speeds of around mach 40 - 50, through solid rock. It's pretty insane. Sure, it's a different kind of feat, but you get the idea.
Voyager wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm People are just jerking MV Godzilla off way too much, like sure he’s good, but he’s not far above the likes of Showa G, Heisei and Final Wars. I mean, you could argue each of those are stronger than MV.
Not really, no. I think you're grossly overstating the strength of Showa era Godzilla. I agree with the others. Early Heisei isn't as tough, however.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 am
Gigantis wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:44 am
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:35 am Godzilla Earth isn't 100x the size of the MonsterVerse Godzilla. He's around 2.6x taller (that's still a large difference in dimensions),
I was semi-joking there dude.

And again, maybe he can throw him, but Earth wouldn't allow that to happen. We're talking about the plant-dinosaur that destroyed a moon sized object (MV Goji doesn't come close to that) and apparently even melted Mount Everest with one atomic ray.
I'm just pointing out that Godzilla Earth isn't nearly as big compared to other versions of Godzilla as it seems. He's a complete lightweight. Biollante is twice the weight of him. I'm not saying that Legendary's Godzilla could beat him, but that theoretically, he would be able to push Godzilla Earth around.

Melting Mount Everest looks slightly less impressive with stupidity like blasting a hole into the Earth, straight to the core, within what seems to be 3 minutes. Taken at face value, his atomic breath reaches speeds of around mach 40 - 50, through solid rock. It's pretty insane. Sure, it's a different kind of feat, but you get the idea.
Voyager wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm People are just jerking MV Godzilla off way too much, like sure he’s good, but he’s not far above the likes of Showa G, Heisei and Final Wars. I mean, you could argue each of those are stronger than MV.
Not really, no. I think you're grossly overstating the strength of Showa era Godzilla. I agree with the others. Early Heisei isn't as tough, however.
Godzilla Earth also cracked the asian tectonic plate at the same time as melting MT Everest IIRC

also him vaporizing Gorath with the spiral ray after storing energy for 5 years at his 50 meter size is not something to wave a stick at
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 am Not really, no. I think you're grossly overstating the strength of Showa era Godzilla. I agree with the others. Early Heisei isn't as tough, however.
About Showa Godzilla, have you seen his strength? In a weaker stage of his career, he was easily able to toss around King Ghidorah which weighs 1.5x his own weight. Later in the Showa Era, he both lifts Hedorah which weighed 2.4x his own weight (and this was over the head), and also threw MG2 which weighed 2x his weight, hundreds of meters. Then we have the crazy Zone Fighter kaiju.

Zandora, a monster that was easily pushed around by Godzilla, weighs 91,000 tons. That’s 4.55x his (Goji’s) own weight. I’m not grossly overstating his strength dude.

I hate the typical downplay of Showa Godzilla just because he’s an early version and he’s small.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:14 am Godzilla Earth also cracked the asian tectonic plate at the same time as melting MT Everest IIRC

also him vaporizing Gorath with the spiral ray after storing energy for 5 years at his 50 meter size is not something to wave a stick at
I'm saying that with how ridiculously stupid and insane the MV feat is, and with how casually it's handled in the movie, the Godzilla Earth feats look slightly different. Godzilla Earth is so strong it's stupid, but it's somewhat sensible within its own rules. MV is just plain dumb now; he's never been that powerful before, and the rules of the previous installments were entirely discarded. One is more serious than the other at this point. Under the rules of Godzilla Earth's continuity, something like the MV feat would be some sort of outlandish, completely devastating attack. All of Hong Kong would have been disintegrated by its logic. That would be an immense amount of energy. But in the MonsterVerse? It's just a hole. No big deal. :lol:

And I never said it was. I'm just saying, MV Godzilla is getting stupid. That one feat is crazier than most things Godzilla does in the Heisei series. One of the more ridiculous things overall.
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 am
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:39 am Not really, no. I think you're grossly overstating the strength of Showa era Godzilla. I agree with the others. Early Heisei isn't as tough, however.
About Showa Godzilla, have you seen his strength? In a weaker stage of his career, he was easily able to toss around King Ghidorah which weighs 1.5x his own weight. Later in the Showa Era, he both lifts Hedorah which weighed 2.4x his own weight (and this was over the head), and also threw MG2 which weighed 2x his weight, hundreds of meters. Then we have the crazy Zone Fighter kaiju.

Zandora, a monster that was easily pushed around by Godzilla, weighs 91,000 tons. That’s 4.55x his (Goji’s) own weight. I’m not grossly overstating his strength dude.

I hate the typical downplay of Showa Godzilla just because he’s an early version and he’s small.
I'm not downplaying him. It's just that you seem to be talking about proportional strength, rather than overall strength. He's tough, pound for pound. Now, when speaking of proportions, I could say that... a real-life ant is physically stronger than most versions of Godzilla, for example. Overall, Heisei Godzilla is absolutely stronger than Showa Godzilla, but Showa Godzilla may be proportionately equal, if not superior in a few aspects. Showa Godzilla "benefits" from having an absurd 20 year long series that switched to being aimed towards children about midway through. MV Godzilla doesn't have nearly as many feats or as much screen time, and yet comes up in these types of comparisons. He's definitely proportionately stronger than second-generation Showa Godzilla by their respective third film appearances.

Edit: At the end of the day though, I don't really care who's stronger. The strongest Godzilla incarnations are possibly the most boring and wacky as a whole. I don't know how anyone would rank MonsterVerse Godzilla, because he's only tougher now purely due to writing contrivances and massive leaps of logic that occurred in about two movies. He was very "tame" in 2014, which was a nice change of pace for the franchise.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:18 am
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 am

I'm not downplaying him. It's just that you seem to be talking about proportional strength, rather than overall strength. He's tough, pound for pound. Now, when speaking of proportions, I could say that... a real-life ant is physically stronger than most versions of Godzilla, for example. Overall, Heisei Godzilla is absolutely stronger than Showa Godzilla, but Showa Godzilla may be proportionately equal, if not superior in a few aspects. Showa Godzilla "benefits" from having an absurd 20 year long series that switched to being aimed towards children about midway through. MV Godzilla doesn't have nearly as many feats or as much screen time, and yet comes up in these types of comparisons. He's definitely proportionately stronger than second-generation Showa Godzilla by their respective third film appearances.

Edit: At the end of the day though, I don't really care who's stronger. The strongest Godzilla incarnations are possibly the most boring and wacky as a whole. I don't know how anyone would rank MonsterVerse Godzilla, because he's only tougher now purely due to writing contrivances and massive leaps of logic that occurred in about two movies. He was very "tame" in 2014, which was a nice change of pace for the franchise.
Heisei Godzilla is stronger in raw strength yes, but does it really matter when he can barely manoeuvre your arms around and his opponent has to be a slow hulking mass for him to even touch it with his hands?

And about your final sentence of the non-edit piece. You’re saying Godzilla of GvK>Godzilla of Mothra vs Godzilla. Of course! Saying he’s stronger than Early 60s Godzilla is nothing to be excited about, as Showa Goji from 55-64 has to be one of the most incapable, incompetent and least skilled Godzillas. But we’re talking about 70’s Godzilla. Do you think GvK Godzilla compares to Godzilla from his peak in prowess, Zone Fighter-ToMG?
For Emperor and Empire!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Let's get back on track

How strong is Godzilla now? Kong

Mr. Earthquake punch

Consistently tried to contest the entire strength of his upper body against one of Godzilla's arms

And lost each time. He lost HARD

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 am Heisei Godzilla is stronger in raw strength yes, but does it really matter when he can barely manoeuvre your arms around and his opponent has to be a slow hulking mass for him to even touch it with his hands?
Well, you're not wrong, but I see we both get each other's points. In terms of raw, absolute strength, most Godzilla incarnations outside of the Millennium films generally have Showa era Godzilla beat.
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 am And about your final sentence of the non-edit piece. You’re saying Godzilla of GvK>Godzilla of Mothra vs Godzilla. Of course! Saying he’s stronger than Early 60s Godzilla is nothing to be excited about, as Showa Goji from 55-64 has to be one of the most incapable, incompetent and least skilled Godzillas. But we’re talking about 70’s Godzilla. Do you think GvK Godzilla compares to Godzilla from his peak in prowess, Zone Fighter-ToMG?
Come on, I like how Godzilla was from 1955 to 1964. That's about the best of the Showa era right there. 1962 and 1964 especially. :lol:

Maybe a bit? It's really all about the Hollow Earth feat right now, other than Godzilla throwing Kong across Hong Kong with his mouth, utterly destroying Ghidorah, being dropped from the sky, taking a nuke to the face point blank, tearing Ghidorah's head off, etc. He runs around just the same, too. If Mechagodzilla came at the 1970s Godzilla the same way, I don't think he'd look too tough. It would've been worse than what Titanosaurus was doing to him.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 am Maybe a bit? It's really all about the Hollow Earth feat right now, other than Godzilla throwing Kong across Hong Kong with his mouth, utterly destroying Ghidorah, being dropped from the sky, taking a nuke to the face point blank, tearing Ghidorah's head off, etc. He runs around just the same, too.
Now that i think about it...yeah, MV Goji has gotten significantly more powerful since G14. Has all those crazy feats and can move/run damn fast. Guess he’s just finally shook off all that dust from that millions of years long nap :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 am
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 am Heisei Godzilla is stronger in raw strength yes, but does it really matter when he can barely manoeuvre your arms around and his opponent has to be a slow hulking mass for him to even touch it with his hands?
Well, you're not wrong, but I see we both get each other's points. In terms of raw, absolute strength, most Godzilla incarnations outside of the Millennium films generally have Showa era Godzilla beat.

Yeah, except for Shin :lol:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 am
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:40 am And about your final sentence of the non-edit piece. You’re saying Godzilla of GvK>Godzilla of Mothra vs Godzilla. Of course! Saying he’s stronger than Early 60s Godzilla is nothing to be excited about, as Showa Goji from 55-64 has to be one of the most incapable, incompetent and least skilled Godzillas. But we’re talking about 70’s Godzilla. Do you think GvK Godzilla compares to Godzilla from his peak in prowess, Zone Fighter-ToMG?
Come on, I like how Godzilla was from 1955 to 1964. That's about the best of the Showa era right there. 1962 and 1964 especially. :lol:

Maybe a bit? It's really all about the Hollow Earth feat right now, other than Godzilla throwing Kong across Hong Kong with his mouth, utterly destroying Ghidorah, being dropped from the sky, taking a nuke to the face point blank, tearing Ghidorah's head off, etc. He runs around just the same, too. If Mechagodzilla came at the 1970s Godzilla the same way, I don't think he'd look too tough. It would've been worse than what Titanosaurus was doing to him.
I mean yeah, MV has very good feats. And about Titanosaurus... Godzilla wasn’t really hurt by Titanosaurus. Sure, he was being thrown about but it didn’t really effect Godzilla aside from annoying him. One big factor that I think Showa has over MV is fighting skill, whether or not Showa is stronger than MV, Showa definitely has the skill advantage over his American counterpart.
For Emperor and Empire!

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Showzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:36 pm Ngl, the strongest is the marvel Godzilla run

He beat up the COMIC BOOK avengers
And the Fantastic Four at the same time

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm I mean yeah, MV has very good feats. And about Titanosaurus... Godzilla wasn’t really hurt by Titanosaurus. Sure, he was being thrown about but it didn’t really effect Godzilla aside from annoying him. One big factor that I think Showa has over MV is fighting skill, whether or not Showa is stronger than MV, Showa definitely has the skill advantage over his American counterpart.
I'm not saying he was hurt by Titanosaurus, but that if Mechagodzilla was anything like the 2021 iteration, the 1970s Godzilla wouldn't have stood much of a chance in combat. Honestly, if 1974 Mechagodzilla fought him like it fought King Caesar, he wouldn't have looked too tough either. At least for a moment.

And with fighting skill, that’s debatable. Who is more effective overall? I'd argue that punches, throws, whatever he was doing to Gigan in Zone Fighter, and tail slides are not as universally effective as grappling, tearing limbs, dislocating arms, decapitation through sheer tearing strength, stomping an opponent so hard that they nearly die, decapitation using atomic breath, and so on. MonsterVerse Godzilla doesn't have nearly as many showings, and he's scarier in up close combat against his respective foes than most iterations of Godzilla. Sure, the 1970s Godzilla ripped off another monster's tail and beat him over the head with it, but MonsterVerse Godzilla likely straight up disembowels opponents when needed. One's much more animalistic and vicious.

They're completely different kinds of series entirely, made through different mediums and for different demographics. What works in the Showa series would never work in the MonsterVerse. Nearly immobile Ghidorah, unintelligent Megalon, cowardly and pathetic Gigan, any dumb Terror Beast "monster-of-the-week" from Zone Fighter, Mechagodzilla, and Titanosaurus aren't necessarily on par with MonsterVerse Ghidorah in terms of fighting skill, no matter how many anthropomorphic moves they did.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

With all said and done, I respect MV Godzilla.

He’s in my top 4 live action Godzillas with Heisei, Showa and... ugh, Final Wars.
For Emperor and Empire!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I think retroactively Heisei Godzilla will become stronger in fantasy matches thanks to LPG raising the bar on what Godzillas are capable of.

Like if the beam-through-the-planet feat is taken seriously as a measure of LPG's power level when comparing him to the various versions of Godzilla then we're definitely going to see things like Heisei Godzilla creating a fissure in the Earth's crust and swimming through the mantle in Godzilla vs Mothra being used as legitimate strength feats from now on (instead of dismissing them as over the top outliers as we normally have).

Something of a vs debates arms race.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa’s breath being capable of lifting him up and flying at Mach speeds is nothing to scoff at either. Dude’s a beast! Imagine if he used that beam’s power during fights! Nothing would stand a chance!
For Emperor and Empire!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:40 pm I mean yeah, MV has very good feats. And about Titanosaurus... Godzilla wasn’t really hurt by Titanosaurus. Sure, he was being thrown about but it didn’t really effect Godzilla aside from annoying him. One big factor that I think Showa has over MV is fighting skill, whether or not Showa is stronger than MV, Showa definitely has the skill advantage over his American counterpart.
I'm not saying he was hurt by Titanosaurus, but that if Mechagodzilla was anything like the 2021 iteration, the 1970s Godzilla wouldn't have stood much of a chance in combat. Honestly, if 1974 Mechagodzilla fought him like it fought King Caesar, he wouldn't have looked too tough either. At least for a moment.

And with fighting skill, that’s debatable. Who is more effective overall? I'd argue that punches, throws, whatever he was doing to Gigan in Zone Fighter, and tail slides are not as universally effective as grappling, tearing limbs, dislocating arms, decapitation through sheer tearing strength, stomping an opponent so hard that they nearly die, decapitation using atomic breath, and so on. MonsterVerse Godzilla doesn't have nearly as many showings, and he's scarier in up close combat against his respective foes than most iterations of Godzilla. Sure, the 1970s Godzilla ripped off another monster's tail and beat him over the head with it, but MonsterVerse Godzilla likely straight up disembowels opponents when needed. One's much more animalistic and vicious.

They're completely different kinds of series entirely, made through different mediums and for different demographics. What works in the Showa series would never work in the MonsterVerse. Nearly immobile Ghidorah, unintelligent Megalon, cowardly and pathetic Gigan, any dumb Terror Beast "monster-of-the-week" from Zone Fighter, Mechagodzilla, and Titanosaurus aren't necessarily on par with MonsterVerse Ghidorah in terms of fighting skill, no matter how many anthropomorphic moves they did.
He actually DOES disembowel an enemy....and debones it at the same time.

Added in 9 minutes 49 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:35 pm I think retroactively Heisei Godzilla will become stronger in fantasy matches thanks to LPG raising the bar on what Godzillas are capable of.

Like if the beam-through-the-planet feat is taken seriously as a measure of LPG's power level when comparing him to the various versions of Godzilla then we're definitely going to see things like Heisei Godzilla creating a fissure in the Earth's crust and swimming through the mantle in Godzilla vs Mothra being used as legitimate strength feats from now on (instead of dismissing them as over the top outliers as we normally have).

Something of a vs debates arms race.
Ironic that toho kingdom is the ONLY community I've seen count that as an outlier

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:13 pm I thought that it should be noted that stronger doesn't mean better - Godzilla Earth is probably the strongest, but his movies are...an acquired taste to put it politely. The original from 1954 is one of the weakest, but is still one of the best films of this franchise upon which everything that's come after is built up (and I don't mean continuity).

While power scales are fun, we shouldn't put much stock in them vs quality.
While I do not really disagree with that when it comes to Godzilla his whole schtick is being king of the monsters. The unstoppable nature of the character is essential to his identity. So power does matter here. I do agree that doesn't make it the best Godzilla because I prefer the Monsterverse Godzilla over Earth by far even though Earth is in a totally different league with his power.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:13 pm I thought that it should be noted that stronger doesn't mean better - Godzilla Earth is probably the strongest, but his movies are...an acquired taste to put it politely. The original from 1954 is one of the weakest, but is still one of the best films of this franchise upon which everything that's come after is built up (and I don't mean continuity).

While I do not really disagree with that when it comes to Godzilla his whole schtick is being king of the monsters. The unstoppable nature of the character is essential to his identity. So power does matter here. I do agree that doesn't make it the best Godzilla because I prefer the Monsterverse Godzilla over Earth by far even though Earth is in a totally different league with his power.
He was given the title King of the Monsters in the 1954 movie (actually, in the Amercanized Raymond Burr version) when there was no other monster in his continuity, where there where no other monsters for him to fight in his films. Because it was applied not literally in film, but in a meta way to hype up his film - King of the "Film" Monsters. Bigger than King Kong! Deadlier than Dracula! Tragic as Frankenstein! (implied/inferred, they never said that) It wasn't his shtick, it was his marketing. Over the decades it went from a clever sort of ad campaign to being a feature of his, one that's been built up in all his versus movies, but more so by us the fanbase! It matters more to us that he's the king of the monsters! But Toho couldn't care less which version of Godzilla is the most powerful, which Godzilla can kick another Godzilla's butt. His power level doesn't push films, it doesn't sell merch. We fans tend to get caught up more in these power debates than anyone else, even though it's the least important aspect when judging the films. 1954 was better than the late Showa (even if we do love the campy fun). 1984 and vs Biollante was better than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla. GMK was better than Final Wars. 2014 was better than GvK. Shin was better than the anime trilogy.

Certainly we've had some great movies where Godzilla was stronger. Vs Destroyah was one of the better Heisei entries. GMK was a beast. But the power level discussions can get too heated and a distraction for us fans when the more important question is, are those films good? And if so, why?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm

He was given the title King of the Monsters in the 1954 movie (actually, in the Amercanized Raymond Burr version) when there was no other monster in his continuity, where there where no other monsters for him to fight in his films. Because it was applied not literally in film, but in a meta way to hype up his film - King of the "Film" Monsters. Bigger than King Kong! Deadlier than Dracula! Tragic as Frankenstein! (implied/inferred, they never said that) It wasn't his shtick, it was his marketing. Over the decades it went from a clever sort of ad campaign to being a feature of his, one that's been built up in all his versus movies, but more so by us the fanbase! It matters more to us that he's the king of the monsters! But Toho couldn't care less which version of Godzilla is the most powerful, which Godzilla can kick another Godzilla's butt. His power level doesn't push films, it doesn't sell merch. We fans tend to get caught up more in these power debates than anyone else, even though it's the least important aspect when judging the films. 1954 was better than the late Showa (even if we do love the campy fun). 1984 and vs Biollante was better than Godzilla vs Space Godzilla. GMK was better than Final Wars. 2014 was better than GvK. Shin was better than the anime trilogy.

Certainly we've had some great movies where Godzilla was stronger. Vs Destroyah was one of the better Heisei entries. GMK was a beast. But the power level discussions can get too heated and a distraction for us fans when the more important question is, are those films good? And if so, why?
Regardless of the origin of the title that is and always will be associated with Godzilla. If Godzilla suddenly transformed to a fodder character it would definitely cause an uproar. That one movie with Ferris Bueller is proof of that. So in that aspect I think Godzilla's power doesmatter. Where I think that does get taken too far is more or less what you said. That too many go "this Godzilla is more powerful than that Godzilla!" You are spot on in the fact that cranking up Godzilla's power doesn't automatically make him the best Godzilla. Like I said earlier, I'll take the Monsterverse over the anime trilogy every time. Godzilla Earth is WAY more powerful than MV Godzilla. Yet I like MV Godzilla much more. Sure he doesn't have crazy shields and the ability to purge an entire planet of human civilization, but he actually has character and a more well established backstory. He has personality in his facial expressions. Godzilla Earth just doesn't have that. No personality or anything to really separate him from others except his sheer power. So to put it shortly, I do think Godzilla's power is key to his character, but shouldn't be used in a contest with other Godzillas because it becomes the main focus instead of making a good Godzilla.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:53 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Regardless of the origin of the title that is and always will be associated with Godzilla. If Godzilla suddenly transformed to a fodder character it would definitely cause an uproar. That one movie with Ferris Bueller is proof of that. So in that aspect I think Godzilla's power doesmatter. Where I think that does get taken too far is more or less what you said. That too many go "this Godzilla is more powerful than that Godzilla!" You are spot on in the fact that cranking up Godzilla's power doesn't automatically make him the best Godzilla. Like I said earlier, I'll take the Monsterverse over the anime trilogy every time. Godzilla Earth is WAY more powerful than MV Godzilla. Yet I like MV Godzilla much more. Sure he doesn't have crazy shields and the ability to purge an entire planet of human civilization, but he actually has character and a more well established backstory. He has personality in his facial expressions. Godzilla Earth just doesn't have that. No personality or anything to really separate him from others except his sheer power. So to put it shortly, I do think Godzilla's power is key to his character, but shouldn't be used in a contest with other Godzillas because it becomes the main focus instead of making a good Godzilla.
Where are you getting Godzilla transformed into a fodder character from? That's not what I'm arguing for. I'm saying it doesn't matter how powerful Godzilla is as long as his movie is good - and a good Godzilla movie by default has him more powerful than conventional weaponry and winning over his non-human antagonists (sometimes with help). I'm just saying that "which version of Godzilla is strongest Godzilla?" is pointless. Unless there's some multiverse movie in the pipeline where all Godzilla's fight because there can only be one, why care so much which is superior? I'm not arguing to make fodder Godzilla, I'm arguing not every version needs to be more powerful than the last.
(and I know you mostly agree with the bulk of what I said, but I just really had to comment on the fodder thing)
Last edited by Vakanai on Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Alright, quick question

How good can some one here calculate the distance an object travels based the pixel height?