Could Jets Jaguar work in the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Poll ended at Sun May 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 25

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

This is a difficult question to ask, because of Godzilla Singular Point, I think Jet Jaguar can work in a serious setting but I can understand this character being a little bit too much for the Monsterverse

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Jets Jaguar work in the Monsterverse?

Post by Vakanai »

I voted no. I mean, I think JJ can work in a more serious setting, could be done well for a western audience, if done well and intelligently - but after the last two films, I no longer associate serious, well done, or intelligent with the MonsterVerse.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Usual shitty Vakani take aside i do agree with him to an extent that, while Jet Jaguar could be done very well, i don’t think any of the current MV directors (maybe Dougherty. Huge ‘maybe’ though) could successfully pull it off
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm Usual shitty Vakani take aside i do agree with him to an extent that, while Jet Jaguar could be done very well, i don’t think any of the current MV directors (maybe Dougherty. Huge ‘maybe’ though) could successfully pull it off
Abam wing I think can make him work but that just me

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm Usual shitty Vakani take aside
The hell?

Seriously, when did I piss in your cornflakes?
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri May 14, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermo doesn't like opinions he doesn't agree with.
For Emperor and Empire!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Eh, I agree with Vakanai. Possible in a vacuum but they'd never be able to pull it off earnestly and would be constantly be cracking jokes and nods to the audience about it.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Voyager wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 pm Jermo doesn't like opinions he doesn't agree with.
But...but this time he agreed with me and still called me out...just...damn.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:21 pm Jermo doesn't like opinions he doesn't agree with.
He's a tough one to understand, and don't take it personally. It's him and I who have an ancient rivalry.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm Usual shitty Vakani take aside
The hell?

Seriously, when did I piss in your cornflakes?
I kid, I kid :lol:

I find myself agreeing with you a lot of the times...well, for the most part, anyways
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

"Jets" Jaguar makes him sound like a fixer for the mob.
I love it.
Anyways, any storyteller worth their weight in salt could make just about anything work so why not Monsterverse JJ? We already got Hollow Earth for goodness sake.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat May 15, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 pm
He's a tough one to understand, and don't take it personally. It's him and I who have an ancient rivalry.
https://youtu.be/xeF2g0rNz38

how did i not see this :lol:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

We've already established mecha units so sure, why not? It could work.
Vakanai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm I voted no. I mean, I think JJ can work in a more serious setting, could be done well for a western audience, if done well and intelligently - but after the last two films, I no longer associate serious, well done, or intelligent with the MonsterVerse.
I thought you liked King of the Monsters?
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

As long as he PUNCH PUNCH PUNCHes and eats sushi from a pail, I'm sure audiences will be just fine with him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 pm Abam wing
GodZ vs Bong
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jet Jaguar could definitely work. In fact, considering the fact that they freaking downloaded an ancient energy source like a Google extension, I'd say they could even work the size-changing in. Just make him a colony of self-duplicating nanobots that form into a humanoid shape.

And no, he should not be a jaeger by any circumstance.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 am
Voyager wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 pm

https://youtu.be/xeF2g0rNz38

how did i not see this :lol:
Just to be clear, I'm Godzilla :lol:
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 am We've already established mecha units so sure, why not? It could work.
Vakanai wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm I voted no. I mean, I think JJ can work in a more serious setting, could be done well for a western audience, if done well and intelligently - but after the last two films, I no longer associate serious, well done, or intelligent with the MonsterVerse.
I thought you liked King of the Monsters?
I do like King of the Monsters - but that doesn't make it good. It's a deeply flawed movie with a bunch of poor decisions that established the dumbing down of the MV that GvK sadly continued to it's ultimate conclusion. There's things to like about it, and I enjoy it from time to time, but it's well in the low ballpark of Godzilla movies. So with it starting the trend of "come for the CGI action, what's a plot?" and GvK woefully tripling down on that into a braindead spectacle, I just don't see the MV delivering the goods on Jet Jaguar. It would make him a joke, and not the kind of joke I'd like to see either.

Godzilla SP looks much better as a JJ showing than the MV would be in terms of storytelling. The only thing the MV could do better is the action, because holy crap can they do action.

Keep in mind, while I talk a lot of crap about GvK in terms of plot and characterization, and rightfully so, I still plan to snag the BRD for my collection. Kind of like Batman v Superman that way - one of those movies I play in the background, tuning out the story while I play on my laptop, tablet, or phone, and only look up to watch the kickass action scenes before turning my attention back to my device. It really does deliver on the action front, so it's perfect for that kind of background noise while you do other things sort of watch. Just not a good watch beyond that if you care for storytelling.

TL;DR Yes I like KotM but that doesn't make it good.

Added in 4 minutes 17 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 am As long as he PUNCH PUNCH PUNCHes and eats sushi from a pail, I'm sure audiences will be just fine with him.
I've watched Godzilla vs Megalon. I've probably watched it a good dozen times or so. I can assure you he never ate sushi, from a pail or otherwise.

(Seriously, am I missing a meme or reference or something?)

Nerd1978
Samurai

Post by Nerd1978 »

JJ could work, but, the way it would work best, is on a PR Godzilla crossover. Especially if Godzilla appeared in the PR universe.

Jet Jaguar is already in the format of the jeager names and would fit right in as a Japanese jeager.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Nerd1978 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:34 pm JJ could work, but, the way it would work best, is on a PR Godzilla crossover. Especially if Godzilla appeared in the PR universe.

Jet Jaguar is already in the format of the jeager names and would fit right in as a Japanese jeager.
I want more Jet Jaguar, but I'd pay good money to prevent a PR MV crossover from ever happening.