Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 am
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:05 am I love all the Singular Point designs. Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Anguirus, hell, even Rodan.

I think they’re all cool, new, unique, and creative designs that fit perfectly for a Godzilla anime

Sometimes it seems people just want the Heisei designs for everything :lol:
Yeah, especially Godzilla. They’re all really good, but Godzilla, in particular, is a masterpiece.
FTFY ;)

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm
KK42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm I never understood the rat comparison. He looks nothing like a rat.
I think it is just a lazy critique to try and dismiss FinalGoji given both it and Final Wars are as polarizing as they are to the fandom.
Or, to some of us, the suit's face has a rat-like aspect that you guys don't happen to see.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

CrimsonBloodX
Interpol Agent

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 am Honestly Sony's proposed title for GMK (Godzilla Must Be Killed!) is so.. hilariously awesome i kinda wish they made the English dub.
Wow, I did not know that Sony was going to do that lol
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It’s amazing how little hype I have for Singular Point.

I’ll watch it when it comes to Netflix, I guess, but if it remained a Japanese exclusive or went to a streaming service I don’t already have, I wouldn’t go out of my way to hunt it down. I’d be quite content with never seeing it.

Crazy to think about.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Terasawa wrote: "Sure he hates women, people of color, and LGBTQ people, but at least he hates Disney Star Wars too."
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

JAGzilla
Keizer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm a little on the apathetic side with SP, too. I'm absolutely looking forward to it, but I'm not counting the days or particularly impatient about it like I get with the live action movies. I blame the Monster Planet Trilogy, I guess. It killed my hype for kaiju anime. Hopefully SP turns that around.

And on a related note, I completely forget that Pacific Rim: The Black exists unless I see it mentioned here. It just disappears from my mind otherwise. I need to actually make myself watch it, at some point here...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:05 pm It’s amazing how little hype I have for Singular Point.

I’ll watch it when it comes to Netflix, I guess, but if it remained a Japanese exclusive or went to a streaming service I don’t already have, I wouldn’t go out of my way to hunt it down. I’d be quite content with never seeing it.

Crazy to think about.
Not really, there are a few that don't care, I am one of those.

Dracosaurian
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dracosaurian »

I hope Singular Point is a success as I really want more animated Godzilla films/series. I'm enjoying it so far and it's doing some pretty interesting things with Godzilla and company.

godjacob
Gotengo Officer

Post by godjacob »

I just want it to be June already so I can watch it >-<

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

As someone who's watching fansubs, I'm really enjoying Singular Point so far.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 pm Tbh, on this note, I've never gotten the "cat" comparisons people bring about BioGoji
He definitely looks feline-esque.

Added in 2 minutes 17 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:05 am I love all the Singular Point designs. Godzilla, Jet Jaguar, Anguirus, hell, even Rodan.

I think they’re all cool, new, unique, and creative designs that fit perfectly for a Godzilla anime

Sometimes it seems people just want the Heisei designs for everything :lol:
Yeah, sans Godzilla, they're all really good. Anguirus, in particular, is a masterpiece.
I've only seen pictures of the Anguillas design, but it already impresses. I'd love to see the beast in action.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Post by Chrispy_G »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 am Honestly Sony's proposed title for GMK (Godzilla Must Be Killed!) is so.. hilariously awesome i kinda wish they made the English dub.
Wow, I did not know that Sony was going to do that lol
Wow...that's interesting even if the tone of that title doesn't really fit the film. I always assumed the simplest solution would have been to just call it "Godzilla: All Out Attack" in the same way they went with just "Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S"

I also feel like I've waited my whole life to get the following titles:
Godzilla Returns - YES we have "The Return of Godzilla" but honestly that is just a wordy version of a better title
Godzilla Reborn
Godzilla Rises
Godzilla: Evolution

Yes...they are all generic....but honestly when compared to something excessive like "Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack"...they do the job.

I also think the final 3 titles would have all been great alternate options for "Shin Godzilla"...I get that they initially picked "Godzilla: Resurgence" and then decided to change it after Independence Day: Resurgence came out....but dang, I would have loved if they just went with SOME proper English Title for the film.

I think something like "Shin Godzilla" creates a barrier. In conversation, search engine algorithms, keyword searches etc....I feel like "Shin Godzilla" specifically hinders how effectively word of mouth about the existence and awareness of that movie absolutely threw a wrench into some of its potential to make an impact here in the USA.

I mean...couldyou imagine if the OFFICIAL English title for one of the 70s films was literally "Godzilla Tai Megalon"....how much more obscure that film would be in the public consciousness?

If there is a word in your title that makes an average joe go "wait, what's it called?" or "What does that mean?" when they hear it....it isn't a great title.

Like damn....the hardcore fans don't mind any of this stuff, but the common American audiences need common American titles with some level of 'generic' to them!
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The things you cling to? They are old, and getting older."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

While SP has some nifty action sequences it is fairly dialogue heavy and there's a tendency to fall into technical jargon often. Still every episode ends with a great hook to keep you interested, the characters are all fairly distinct, and there's a nice sense of mystery and escalation. I could see how the scientific talk can turn people off. Even someone like myself who enjoys the hell out of it has a lot of stuff kind go over my head. Still I would recommend you watch it dubbed as there's a lot of information thrown at you and its kinda hard keeping up with the subtitles. Having never watched a Netflix dub I can't comment of the quality of the casting sadly. Do they always use the same crew?
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri May 14, 2021 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 am Godzilla Returns - YES we have "The Return of Godzilla" but honestly that is just a wordy version of a better title
Unless you're just taking some hard-line "passive voice is always bad" stance, I don't see how Godzilla Returns is the stronger of those two options. The Return of Godzilla has a better rhythm, and feels ominous/portentous, where Godzilla Returns feels more... heroic, maybe?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:44 am
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 am Godzilla Returns - YES we have "The Return of Godzilla" but honestly that is just a wordy version of a better title
Unless you're just taking some hard-line "passive voice is always bad" stance, I don't see how Godzilla Returns is the stronger of those two options. The Return of Godzilla has a better rhythm, and feels ominous/portentous, where Godzilla Returns feels more... heroic, maybe?
Yeah, I’d have to agree with this. Godzilla Returns makes me think of Batman Returns, or Superman Returns.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Terasawa wrote: "Sure he hates women, people of color, and LGBTQ people, but at least he hates Disney Star Wars too."
Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan indo muu
Rusuto uiraandoa, hanba hanbamuyan, randa banunradan
Tounjukanraa
Kasaku yaanmu

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I would hate to see any of those titles become a reality, they're the sort of thing you attach to the most generic schlock. All you're missing is Godzilla Resurrection.

If somebody gets filtered by Shin Godzilla's title alone then they probably wouldn't like the actual movie anyway.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

And I don't think any of those titles have the pulpy charm or, well, the Japanese-ness of Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think there's much truth to the "Godzilla Must Be Killed" story.

Edit: And I'd ask Michael Schlesinger (producer/director of Sony's G2K and writer of the aborted "Godzilla Reborn" script) himself, since he's about the only approachable person I know who could possibly confirm or deny that with any real authority, but the only way I know of contacting him is through a message board account he hasn't used in over two years. SOL, as they say.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:58 am I don't think there's much truth to the "Godzilla Must Be Killed" story.
Though, honestly, I don't think that title is entirely unsuitable for the movie, or at least its second half.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 am
Terasawa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:58 am I don't think there's much truth to the "Godzilla Must Be Killed" story.
Though, honestly, I don't think that title is entirely unsuitable for the movie, or at least its second half.
I also think if the Japanese title was meant to evoke the 1960s Toho monster movies, then it's fitting to have an American title that would likewise evoke American (or British, in this case) monster movies of the same period.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:11 am
eabaker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 am
I also think if the Japanese title was meant to evoke the 1960s Toho monster movies, then it's fitting to have an American title that would likewise evoke American (or British, in this case) monster movies of the same period.
Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling as well.