Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by kaijuguy19 »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 pm I see where you are coming from with that. He was very aggressive this one, almost maliciously so. Hatred, possibly.

When I saw, I thought it as him being blinded with fury that humans, which he had tried not to attack or provoke, provoking HIM by reviving his long-time nemesis that he had recently slain, with the HELP of the humans. Kong getting in the crossfire was confusing and he may have assumed the humans sided with Kong over him (which is kind of true), as well as remembering their species rivalry.

In sum, I saw it as Godzilla finally losing his poop after being patient with the humans for so long, and Kong being a rival alpha and part of a species that opposed his didn’t help matters.
That's how I'm seeing it too. It's been established that Godzilla doesn't have the same type of human relations that Kong has if at all. He's pretty indifferent to humanity as a whole since he's mostly concerned about trying to keep alive and his home intact. He only gets angry at humans when he's been provoked big time and the events of KOTM and GVK only made him resent humans even more. It's why I'm hoping that for Godzilla 3 it should be about humanity trying to make relations better with him or at least not be as rocky and that can be by introducing Miki Saegusa into the Monsterverse to communicate with him to also better understand Godzilla as a whole.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:11 am
CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:09 pm I see where you are coming from with that. He was very aggressive this one, almost maliciously so. Hatred, possibly.

When I saw, I thought it as him being blinded with fury that humans, which he had tried not to attack or provoke, provoking HIM by reviving his long-time nemesis that he had recently slain, with the HELP of the humans. Kong getting in the crossfire was confusing and he may have assumed the humans sided with Kong over him (which is kind of true), as well as remembering their species rivalry.

In sum, I saw it as Godzilla finally losing his poop after being patient with the humans for so long, and Kong being a rival alpha and part of a species that opposed his didn’t help matters.
That's how I'm seeing it too. It's been established that Godzilla doesn't have the same type of human relations that Kong has if at all. He's pretty indifferent to humanity as a whole since he's mostly concerned about trying to keep alive and his home intact. He only gets angry at humans when he's been provoked big time and the events of KOTM and GVK only made him resent humans even more. It's why I'm hoping that for Godzilla 3 it should be about humanity trying to make relations better with him or at least not be as rocky and that can be by introducing Miki Saegusa into the Monsterverse to communicate with him to also better understand Godzilla as a whole.
I don't think they need to introduce Miki Saegusa, honestly. Recycling characters is never the way to go. It seems that they've already started to set up Madison for this sort of role, and all they need to do is continue it and build upon it, allowing her to do more within the story and allowing her to understand Godzilla better than most others. It really depends upon its execution.

Speaking of execution, I think the way Godzilla's animosity for humans was executed is what makes it more difficult to understand. It's given very little setup within the movie, but apparently he had been attacking for a long time. Now, if he moved like himself, for example, it would feel more like he had started to see humans as enemies or simply started retaliating against their weapons, rather than appearing to have gone completely insane. His movements are erratic when attacking Pensacola, for example.

I also feel like the hatred Godzilla has for Kong is contradictory in and of itself. If Godzilla hated Kong so much, why didn't he just eliminate him from the start, back on Skull Island? Why does he give up on killing Kong once the ships are powered down? Why does he spare Kong? You can almost sum him up as mindlessly vicious and one-dimensional when he fights Kong in the Tasman Sea. He mindlessly snaps his jaws at Kong underwater, and he climbs up on the aircraft carrier like a lizard. He's never behaved like that. He lacks that old "warrior" or "samurai" feel to him altogether. The old idea of using the Orca Z would have prevented some of those issues, but then it had its own number of problems.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:12 am
kaijuguy19 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:11 am

I don't think they need to introduce Miki Saegusa, honestly. Recycling characters is never the way to go. It seems that they've already started to set up Madison for this sort of role, and all they need to do is continue it and build upon it, allowing her to do more within the story and allowing her to understand Godzilla better than most others. It really depends upon its execution.

Speaking of execution, I think the way Godzilla's animosity for humans was executed is what makes it more difficult to understand. It's given very little setup within the movie, but apparently he had been attacking for a long time. Now, if he moved like himself, for example, it would feel more like he had started to see humans as enemies or simply started retaliating against their weapons, rather than appearing to have gone completely insane. His movements are erratic when attacking Pensacola, for example.

I also feel like the hatred Godzilla has for Kong is contradictory in and of itself. If Godzilla hated Kong so much, why didn't he just eliminate him from the start, back on Skull Island? Why does he give up on killing Kong once the ships are powered down? Why does he spare Kong? You can almost sum him up as mindlessly vicious and one-dimensional when he fights Kong in the Tasman Sea. He mindlessly snaps his jaws at Kong underwater, and he climbs up on the aircraft carrier like a lizard. He's never behaved like that. He lacks that old "warrior" or "samurai" feel to him altogether. The old idea of using the Orca Z would have prevented some of those issues, but then it had its own number of problems.
Kong lying on the boat is a submission. He makes eye contact and doesn't make any sort of sign of aggression. Hong Kong goes down because Kong is back in the fight and has the axe making him a threat again.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Godzilla just came across as a mean hateful jerk in GvsK. I love Godzilla, but I didn't like him here, not when he was so mean for no good reason (none explained well in film at least) when he'd been so heroic before.
Basically, the fans who had been complaining that MV Godzilla should have been a villain since 2014 got their wish here.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I wonder if there would be a better pick than Wingard for another Monsterverse film. I loved GvK and Wingard seemed great for that type of film but something like Son of Kong doesn't sound like his specialty. Who would be a good pick for something like that?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:02 pm I wonder if there would be a better pick than Wingard for another Monsterverse film. I loved GvK and Wingard seemed great for that type of film but something like Son of Kong doesn't sound like his specialty. Who would be a good pick for something like that?
After Godzilla vs Kong I'd say almost any director would've been a better fit for that movie, and any director would be a better for a Son of Kong. I think a film school dropout might've been better. GvK's only redeemable quality was the CGI monster fighting scenes were awesome.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla was still a hero the audiance simply never seen him go after something we root for. We weren't suppose to root for the Mutos or Ghidorah for example.

Kong was a threat to Godzilla and Godzilla had to deal with him while also looking for what he thought was Ghidorah.

Godzilla is also king now, his actions are just to himself but all Titans now.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 pm Godzilla was still a hero the audiance simply never seen him go after something we root for. We weren't suppose to root for the Mutos or Ghidorah for example.

Kong was a threat to Godzilla and Godzilla had to deal with him while also looking for what he thought was Ghidorah.

How was Kong a threat to Godzilla? Because of some ancient rivalry that's never explained well in film?
They just did a terrible job of showing any reason for why Godzilla would go out of his way to fight Kong. Kong didn't start it.
Godzilla was very much an antagonist in his fight with Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:10 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:25 pm Godzilla was still a hero the audiance simply never seen him go after something we root for. We weren't suppose to root for the Mutos or Ghidorah for example.

How was Kong a threat to Godzilla? Because of some ancient rivalry that's never explained well in film?
They just did a terrible job of showing any reason for why Godzilla would go out of his way to fight Kong. Kong didn't start it.
Kong is an Alpha level Titan and Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past. The genius of their fight is Godzilla has lived and been taught about the Titan higherarcy and about the War while Kong is just coming into this world.

Godzilla is antagonistic to us the audiance because we know Kong is not after Godzilla and has no idea what is going on.

All Godzilla knows is that Ghidorah might be coming back and now Kong is romaing around having left skull island.

Rodan submitted once can you imagine if Kong submitted to a returned Ghidorah or vice versa? Godzilla has to think about all these scenarios and that's with no Mothra to bail him out this time.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Kong is an Alpha level Titan and Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past. The genius of their fight is Godzilla has lived and been taught about the Titan higherarcy and about the War while Kong is just coming into this world.

Godzilla is antagonistic to us the audiance because we know Kong is not after Godzilla and has no idea what is going on.

All Godzilla knows is that Ghidorah might be coming back and now Kong is romaing around having left skull island.

Rodan submitted once can you imagine if Kong submitted to a returned Ghidorah or vice versa? Godzilla has to think about all these scenarios and that's with no Mothra to bail him out this time.
How do we know Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past? I don't remember that being shown in the movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:01 pm

How do we know Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past? I don't remember that being shown in the movie.
It's in the comic Godzilla Dominion. Godzilla was at some point evicted from his home by a Kong. The Kong then died or was killed by Tiamat, who remained in the lair until Godzilla returned and defeated it.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm

It's in the comic Godzilla Dominion. Godzilla was at some point evicted from his home by a Kong. The Kong then died or was killed by Tiamat, who remained in the lair until Godzilla returned and defeated it.
Then I'm sorry, but it's irrelevant. We should never have to read a tie-in comic book to make sense of the motivation of a film's main character. That's extortion, and will also lead to a world where Sequel Trilogy-level filmmaking is the norm. They'll be able to just churn out no-thought garbage and 'patch' the holes with tie-in media.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Then I'm sorry, but it's irrelevant. We should never have to read a tie-in comic book to make sense of the motivation of a film's main character. That's extortion, and will also lead to a world where Sequel Trilogy-level filmmaking is the norm. They'll be able to just churn out no-thought garbage and 'patch' the holes with tie-in media.
Uh, I never said I approved of it lmao
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

At the end of kotm it is shown Godzilla fought a Kong and this movie talks about an ancient rivalry, mentioning Godzilla lost that fight is only a small addition to why he needs to go after Kong.

Kotm and GvsK make it clear that Alpha Titans are dangerous to other Alpha Titans.

Ghidorah doing what he did in Kotm is why Godzilla can't afford to take a chance with Kong and Mothra being gone means he can't be reckless.

Godzilla has already lost once before and now he two most trusted allies aren't here. Mothra is gone and he can't trust humanity.

As far as he knows Humanity is backing Kong directly and doing something with Ghidorah indirectly.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All fair interpretation. I dunno, like I said the other day, I'm kind of done being mad at this movie, there's nothing to gain from it. It's just that this is... possibly the first movie ever where I was watching and couldn't easily figure out why Godzilla was doing what he was doing. Well, there was the Kiryu saga, but they weren't explicitly working with an established Godzilla incarnation.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I think some of you are jumping the gun too early. Let's wait and see if any deleted scenes during a home media release explain some of the loose ends the movie has.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

There was no genius to their fight. First, Godzilla can't let there be another Alpha level Titan who didn't go after him? That makes him an antagonist/kind of a jerk. Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past? In a comic book! You shouldn't have to include things not shown in the film to justify what happens in film. That's just wrong. Kong has no idea what's going on, no one has any idea what's going on if they didn't read some comic book. Godzilla, in film, had no good reason to be such a dick to Kong, it was never explained.

I'm sorry, but Godzilla in this film was rather villainous. Some Godzilla fans may be happy that he finally won a victory over Kong after losing in King Kong vs Godzilla - but most people are going to wish he hadn't, because he was a dick. The bully won.

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
Zasraniec wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:04 am I think some of you are jumping the gun too early. Let's wait and see if any deleted scenes during a home media release explain some of the loose ends the movie has.
That's just as bad as needing a comic book to explain your movie. It doesn't help.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:30 am All fair interpretation. I dunno, like I said the other day, I'm kind of done being mad at this movie, there's nothing to gain from it. It's just that this is... possibly the first movie ever where I was watching and couldn't easily figure out why Godzilla was doing what he was doing. Well, there was the Kiryu saga, but they weren't explicitly working with an established Godzilla incarnation.
Basically this. The director pretended like 2 films never happened and ignored previous characterization and dumbed everything down just for the sake of cool fight scenes. What a lot of people say to dismiss kaiju movies this director went out of his way to prove.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:24 pm

There was no genius to their fight. First, Godzilla can't let there be another Alpha level Titan who didn't go after him? That makes him an antagonist/kind of a jerk. Godzilla lost to a Kong in the past? In a comic book! You shouldn't have to include things not shown in the film to justify what happens in film. That's just wrong. Kong has no idea what's going on, no one has any idea what's going on if they didn't read some comic book. Godzilla, in film, had no good reason to be such a dick to Kong, it was never explained.

I'm sorry, but Godzilla in this film was rather villainous. Some Godzilla fans may be happy that he finally won a victory over Kong after losing in King Kong vs Godzilla - but most people are going to wish he hadn't, because he was a dick. The bully won.

You are implying the way humans see the world to the way Titans see the world. Kong doesn't know his place in the world yes, he is coming into contact with other Titans for the first time.

Godzilla however just got burned the last time Alpha Titans were running around in the world. Rodan turned on him, Ghidorah nearly destroyed the world, Kong did nothing and Mothra is now dead. As said before Godzilla knows that Kong is enemy and Kong is an Alpha, the human characters state Kong is an Alpha Titan. Godzilla knows Kong has left his island where he usually stays and now something is making him think Ghidorah is coming back.

Godzilla can't take any chances with leaving Kong and potentially Ghidorah around becasue what if Ghidorah is back and Kong who has a history with Godzilla decides the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Godzilla is potentially facing the worst crisis he has faced before with Kong popping back up in the world and he has no Mothra as back up, and humans seem to be siding with Kong and what ever they are doing with Ghidorah.

He looks like a bully because he's more powerful than Kong but no he is a King fighting to protect his turf. We just see things from Kong's side as he is even more of a good character than Godzilla and he is sadly learning his place in a world that Godzilla has being in charge of for eons.

Its the same way Batman seemed like an asshole against Superman in BvS even though Batman made a couple good points.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

You are implying the way humans see the world to the way Titans see the world. Kong doesn't know his place in the world yes, he is coming into contact with other Titans for the first time.

Godzilla however just got burned the last time Alpha Titans were running around in the world. Rodan turned on him, Ghidorah nearly destroyed the world, Kong did nothing and Mothra is now dead. As said before Godzilla knows that Kong is enemy and Kong is an Alpha, the human characters state Kong is an Alpha Titan. Godzilla knows Kong has left his island where he usually stays and now something is making him think Ghidorah is coming back.

Godzilla can't take any chances with leaving Kong and potentially Ghidorah around becasue what if Ghidorah is back and Kong who has a history with Godzilla decides the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Godzilla is potentially facing the worst crisis he has faced before with Kong popping back up in the world and he has no Mothra as back up, and humans seem to be siding with Kong and what ever they are doing with Ghidorah.

He looks like a bully because he's more powerful than Kong but no he is a King fighting to protect his turf. We just see things from Kong's side as he is even more of a good character than Godzilla and he is sadly learning his place in a world that Godzilla has being in charge of for eons.

Its the same way Batman seemed like an asshole against Superman in BvS even though Batman made a couple good points.
Or the director just did a terrible job at giving the character a motive or communicating it to the audience. You're argument might be right, or it could be wrong, but it sure as heck wasn't what we got on screen.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Or the director just did a terrible job at giving the character a motive or communicating it to the audience. You're argument might be right, or it could be wrong, but it sure as heck wasn't what we got on screen.
I only have to go into detail with you as we are both hardcore G-fans and require more explanation. Casual fans were fine with Godzilla didn't want Kong around because he was another Alpha Titan.

Godzilla is perceived as a Dick as you say because this film is the first time he is hunting down a Hero monster you care for. He hunted the Mutos and Ghidorah down the same way. Kong raised himself from birth so his parents didn't pass on Titan knowledge the saw way Godzilla must have been taught which is why Kong gets caught with his pants down.

Both Kong and Godzilla are acting correctly in the movie and true to character. Kong is seeing everything for the first time while Godzilla is acting on prior information.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image