Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Fermix »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm I'm personally very sad to see NECA loose the Godzilla license they are still one of my favorite action figure producing companies. HOWEVER I do find it very odd that NECA claimed they were unable to produce any truly unique Godzilla variants like the Hanna Barbara Godzilla design because Toho wouldn't allow it, but as soon as super7 or mezco get the rights one of the VERY first figures they announce was the Hanna Barbara Godzilla.
Wait, who announced a HB Godzilla?
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:12 am
Moth wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am Hmm, odd, I remember hearing that NECA considered Godzilla a strong seller.

NECA got the rights so nobody (say Mcfarlane or Diamond Select) could get the rights for an adult line, duh.
Uhh... Would you like to back this claim up with any sort of evidence? Because that's not how any of this works.
It's obvious if you looked at how NECA's brands and other companies work.
-Lanard can't do black Aliens due to some sort of deal with NECA
-Nobody else did Pacific Rim figures until NECA lost the license for Uprising, and even then, nobody did collectors figures for Uprising domestically outside of Diamond who landed the rights.

This is just common licensing practice. You don't see other domestic companies touching the collectors BNHA license, McFarlane toys has it. Nobody else is doing collectors Muppet figures, because Diamond has the rights. And you didn't see other domestic companies touching the collectors license (a different license from the master one Playmates has), when NECA was making them.

NECA simply saw they could corner the market on domestic collector Godzillas (which they did) and it was better they got the profit than someone like Diamond.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Moth wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am
Moth wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am Hmm, odd, I remember hearing that NECA considered Godzilla a strong seller.

NECA got the rights so nobody (say Mcfarlane or Diamond Select) could get the rights for an adult line, duh.
Uhh... Would you like to back this claim up with any sort of evidence? Because that's not how any of this works.
-Nobody else did Pacific Rim figures until NECA lost the license for Uprising, and even then, nobody did collectors figures for Uprising domestically outside of Diamond who landed the rights.

This is just common licensing practice. You don't see other domestic companies touching the collectors BNHA license, McFarlane toys has it. Nobody else is doing collectors Muppet figures, because Diamond has the rights. And you didn't see other domestic companies touching the collectors license (a different license from the master one Playmates has), when NECA was making them.

NECA simply saw they could corner the market on domestic collector Godzillas (which they did) and it was better they got the profit than someone like Diamond.
Except you're drastically wrong on every account because there's other companies that *DO* Aliens, and even versions of Aliens that NECA has been doing such as battle damaged. Just like Dimaond Select *WAS* doing Godzilla merch at the same time NECA was doing theirs. And some of DST's cost more than NECA's. There's also multiple US companies doing Predators.

I think you're highly overrating how successful you think the Godzilla brand is/was when NECA had the license.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm
Moth wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:57 am

Except you're drastically wrong on every account because there's other companies that *DO* Aliens, and even versions of Aliens that NECA has been doing such as battle damaged. Just like Dimaond Select *WAS* doing Godzilla merch at the same time NECA was doing theirs. And some of DST's cost more than NECA's. There's also multiple US companies doing Predators.

I think you're highly overrating how successful you think the Godzilla brand is/was when NECA had the license.

NECA has had the monopoly on collectors Alien figures until very recently, when Alien had a change of rights, to a company that ADORES having a lot of people with their IPs. Which is why we're getting Lanard (which doesn't change the fact they can't do black/screen accurate Aliens because of something with NECA) and a collectors 1/18 line of Aliens. Before Disney got the brand, it was NECA, ReAction (not collectors figures the same kind as NECA), and Funkos (ALSO not in the same vein as NECA). My point was that NECA had the rights to collectors figures, Diamond was making stuff like minimates and banks, not the collector figures akin to SHMA or NECA's stuff.

Predator is also with Lanard, the same place where Alien is. Also with the same company doing the 1/18 scale Aliens (Haya Toys?). Maybe I am overstating the popularity of the Godzilla brand when NECA had it, but they always spoke positively of the sales and it wasn't shelved like the Crash Bandicoot or Planet of the Apes lines.
Last edited by Moth on Mon May 03, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Fermix wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:44 am
cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm I'm personally very sad to see NECA loose the Godzilla license they are still one of my favorite action figure producing companies. HOWEVER I do find it very odd that NECA claimed they were unable to produce any truly unique Godzilla variants like the Hanna Barbara Godzilla design because Toho wouldn't allow it, but as soon as super7 or mezco get the rights one of the VERY first figures they announce was the Hanna Barbara Godzilla.
Wait, who announced a HB Godzilla?
On 2nd look its actually a statue not an action figure and its from Mondo but it does exist.

https://twitter.com/kaijunewsoutlet/sta ... 00?lang=en

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Moth wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:26 pm ...they were afraid of selling something like a Mothra or Mechagodzilla...NECA didn't want to do anything with the brand, it was all about keeping it out of the hands of others...

...NECA got the rights so nobody (say Mcfarlane or Diamond Select) could get the rights for an adult line, duh...

...It's obvious if you looked at how NECA's brands and other companies work...you didn't see other domestic companies touching the collectors license (a different license from the master one Playmates has), when NECA was making them. NECA simply saw they could corner the market on domestic collector Godzillas (which they did) and it was better they got the profit than someone like Diamond....

...My point was that NECA had the rights to collectors figures, Diamond was making stuff like minimates and banks, not the collector figures akin to SHMA or NECA's stuff...Maybe I am overstating the popularity of the Godzilla brand when NECA had it, but they always spoke positively of the sales and it wasn't shelved...
I'm confused by why (you think) a company like NECA spent thousands upon thousands of dollars to enter into a licensing arrangement with Toho. Was it because they thought they could make more money on figure sales (profit) than the cost of Toho's licensing fees and image demands to produce Godzilla toys, or was it because NECA wanted to spend their money and recoup nothing, just to keep *other* companies out of the market in some kind of corporate jealousy or spite?
Last edited by G1985 on Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

They wanted profit, obviously. Every company wants profit. Keeping other companies away was a bonus.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm Randy is such an odd dude, he snarks at every chance like a kid.

He insults the "current offerings", but doesn't mention that we've seen more American Godzilla figures released this year than 3 years of his own run. Let alone the Mechagodzillas, Skullcrawlers, Warbats, and accessories we've seen.

My paint skills can fix the weak playmates paintjobs. 2 releases every other year can't be fixed.
Yeah but nearly all of them just look cheap and ugly, which is fine they are not for me at all. Neca was very slow but they provided a great cheap and dependable alternative to Monsterarts and a lot of their figures such as 62 and Shin are some of my favorites. You are effectively comparing a collector intended line to a mass produced cheaply made kids line

Even if Neca put at 3x as many figures as they usually did a year, Playmates would always outproduce them because that's the nature of their focus. PM doesn't have to focus on high detail or articulation, and a good chunk of their figures are remolds from Neca and Bandai for that matter
Its very possible Toho has grown more lax with the IP than when Neca tried to get them produced, those companies could have also been better negotiators as well. I do believe Neca did ask Toho but either did it in a bad way or Toho's changed its stance since than maybe a bit of both
Last edited by ROMG4 on Tue May 04, 2021 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

ROMG4 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 am Its very possible Toho has grown more lax with the IP than when Neca tried to get them produced, those companies could have also been better negotiators as well. I do believe Neca did ask Toho but either did it in a bad way or Toho's changed its stance since than maybe a bit of both
I agree.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue May 04, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

Someone mentioned Playmates doing a "legacy collection" kind of thing with the MonsterVerse, I would be all for that personally. The line would be gigantic most likely and there would be a lot of possibilities:

Godzilla (2014) with Heat Ray
Winged MUTO with
Eight-legged MUTO with Warhead
Kong (2017) with Tree Branch
Skullcrawler with Helicopter
Godzilla (2019) with Heat Ray
King Ghidorah with Gravity Beams
Mothra with Argo
Rodan with Fighter Jet

That would be neat, assuming Playmates would make new moulds for accessories.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

WarpedBandicoot99 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:05 pm Someone mentioned Playmates doing a "legacy collection" kind of thing with the MonsterVerse, I would be all for that personally. The line would be gigantic most likely and there would be a lot of possibilities:

Godzilla (2014) with Heat Ray
Winged MUTO with
Eight-legged MUTO with Warhead
Kong (2017) with Tree Branch
Skullcrawler with Helicopter
Godzilla (2019) with Heat Ray
King Ghidorah with Gravity Beams
Mothra with Argo
Rodan with Fighter Jet

That would be neat, assuming Playmates would make new moulds for accessories.
I would buy every single one of these if Playmates made them.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

If Playmates made MUTOs in the same scale as their other figures you'd have to scrape me off the floor.
Want.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

NECA's head honcho Randy has a bit of a reputation for being a douchebag, if anyone here wasn't aware. He's used the official NECA twitter to straight up diss fans, as well as using it to trash the brands they licsenced (calling Alien 3 and Resurrections "unforgivable" while simultaneously selling Alien 3 and Resurrections figures...) Looking back, the effort put into NECA's Godzilla line just...isn't really there. They have shown that they are capable of making screen accurate representations of famous movie characters, but none of their Godzilla figures reach that mark. Its like they didn't even try. Even outside of their main toyline, the other NECA subsidiaries put very little effort. Those Kidrobot Godzilla figures were just SO LAZY. Coming from someone who absolutely adores Kidrobot, its pathetic how little effort they put in. Fucking FUNKO managed to make better looking Godzilla minis. I have quite a few NECA Godzilla figures, and ultimately I do enjoy them, but in all honesty, I have far more faith in Mezco and Playmates handling the license.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Found the Mega Godzilla and been playing around with it a tad. And I LOVE the glowyness of it. Prolly my favorite glow toy in the entire collection.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 am Found the Mega Godzilla and been playing around with it a tad. And I LOVE the glowyness of it. Prolly my favorite glow toy in the entire collection.

I KNOW RIGHT?! i had other "glow" toys growing up and it was just a soft glow, this thing lights up like a flare. Is fantastic.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Oh yeah, THAT is a brilliant glow.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

It's completely baffling to me as to why Bandai Creation never released a repaint of "Burning Godzilla" as just a regular Heisei Godzilla. Now Playmates is releasing their own Burning Godzilla?! I sure hope that they don't make the same mistake and fail to release a repaint as just a standard Heisei Godzilla.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

FlawedCoil82 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:51 pm It's completely baffling to me as to why Bandai Creation never released a repaint of "Burning Godzilla" as just a regular Heisei Godzilla. Now Playmates is releasing their own Burning Godzilla?! I sure hope that they don't make the same mistake and fail to release a repaint as just a standard Heisei Godzilla.
I completely agree. I'm tempted to buy the new Playmates version, but am holding out for that sculpt without the burning paintjob!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Did anyone ever find a normal store release of the minis? I'd love to get a little skull crawler to go with Poster Kong but I don't like the prices on ebay for something that looks like it's intended to be really inexpensive.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm Did anyone ever find a normal store release of the minis? I'd love to get a little skull crawler to go with Poster Kong but I don't like the prices on ebay for something that looks like it's intended to be really inexpensive.
I'm impatient for these to pop up, too! I have to keep reminding myself not to pull the trigger on those $20+ overseas listings, as they're probably going to be priced under $3 when they finally show up here in the USA!